You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: I heard about huge unit size, but this is ridiculous!
posted 03-09-09 00:37 AM EDT (US)   
Replies:
posted 03-09-09 00:39 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
I'll pass

lol im jumby
posted 03-09-09 00:50 AM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Sweet mother of god

That is so ****ing awesome

No swear filter avoidance please - Gaius

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 03-09-2009 @ 09:57 AM).]

posted 03-09-09 00:56 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
That's awsome, how does it run on your system? What are your specs?
posted 03-09-09 01:10 AM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
yeah, the graphics dont look as good but that is killing on a whole new level!
posted 03-09-09 01:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
I can feel the slow frame rate just looking at the screen shots.
posted 03-09-09 01:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
oO And this is without any forms of mods or tweaking? Talk about a whole new scale of epic.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
posted 03-09-09 03:53 AM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Wow, that's just epic. Awesome!
posted 03-09-09 05:09 AM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
My laptop just sent me an email saying "don't you fecking even think about it."
posted 03-09-09 05:13 AM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
wait for few more year until i got new laptop

on mines it even lag a bit on small

not again...
posted 03-09-09 06:52 AM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
How is this possible, I wanna do the same!!??
posted 03-09-09 07:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
500+ units in a single card, wow!! that's what im talking about creative assembly, make it TOTAL WAR!!!
posted 03-09-09 09:54 AM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
There aren't many PCs which would be able to run it like that, and I reckon it wouldn't be as easy to tactically control on the battlefield either.

I'll take large enough size units (120 men) and great performance over ridiculous size units (500 men) and 1 frame per second.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 03-09-09 11:25 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
Its not my on pc, i just thought of sharing with you guys.

His setup is Athlon X² 4850, 4 gigs RAM, Nvidia 9600GT/512 MB, and runs perfecly fine(without some shadow effects).

Very similar to my pc. When i get E:TW i will do this. And it is possible to increase to 1200 per regiment(or more)!
posted 03-09-09 12:19 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
How is this possible, I wanna do the same!!??
Click on the link at the bottom of the OP.

This is pretty great, Danilh. Good catch.
posted 03-10-09 08:23 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
Sorry andalus I can't really see how to do it, I can't see anything in the links that tells me how to do it.

My specs are a intell q9300 quad core a geforce 9800 gtx 512 mb ram and 8 gib ram.

So I think it is possible for me to run with greater unit numbers than what the game offers.

I hope you can tell me how to do it! :-)
posted 03-10-09 08:36 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
For Windows XP: Open C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts\preferences.empire_script.txt

For vista its Users>%yourusername%>Appdata>Roaming>The Creative Assembly>Empire>Scripts

Open preferences.empire_script.txt

Two lines in that file have to be cared for. They are also the only lines in it that contain the term "unit", so pressing Ctrl+F (when using Notepad) should do the trick for easily finding them.

The first line to care for is this one (though the latter one inside the file):
Code:

gfx_unit_scale 3; # gfx_unit_scale <int>, Set unit scale. 0 - lowest, 3 - ultra #

Make sure the value is '3' in your file, too. In this guide I provide numbers based on the 160 men per line infantry unit, which is the number of men the "(Not so) Ultra" setting gives you.

Now, the line that does the very trick looks like this and can be found among the first few lines in the file:
Code:

campaign_unit_multiplier 1; # campaign_unit_multiplier <float>, Set default unit multiplier for campaign #

All you have to do now is to divide the number of men you want by 160, and you have the value with which you have to replace the '1'.

IMPORTANT: Not all numbers work! For one, I've only tested one decimal place (one position after decimal point).

All numbers up to '4' work except for:

I have tested every single number up to 4, above that only some nice looking ones.

For your convenience, here's a list of numbers that look good on standard line infantry (the vanilla number of men on "Ultra" being 160, as mentioned):

* 1.5 = 240 men
* 2.5 = 400
* 3.5 = 560
* 4 = 640
* 5 = 800
* 7.5 = 1200 men
See? No mystery!
posted 03-10-09 09:37 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
thanks danilh I'll try and make it work, when I have the time for it. :-)
posted 03-11-09 01:17 AM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
Looks all great but does numbers of artillery engines increase with the larger setting? If not, then large scale battles clearly erodes the power of the cannons, as before other TW games.

Michael Jackson
posted 03-11-09 07:59 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
From what i saw form the demo, yes.It is very easy to modify Brandywine after you unpack the demo1 pack, so i gave me a 60 men cannon battery and it came with about five or four cannons. It only affects their mobility, because , hilariously, many extras don't get any horses so they have to run behind the cannon carts and they can't fire until they get there.
posted 03-29-09 00:27 AM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
wow...i just tweaked with it and let me tell u...that some fun stuff!!!...i could play with crazy settings like that but im afraid my computer will blow up...i can however play with 160 men infantry lines on very high settings with no problems at all...but this might b my limit ill try more stuff later...thnx for the info danillh...gunna have some serious fun now...hehehe!!
posted 04-03-09 05:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
God bless you for posting this. My white coats will soon be marching...

Crusade! Our brothers in the East need out swords to subdue the Infidel! The Saracen defiles the Sepulchre and is at the gates of the Roman emperor!. Ride! Ride ye holy soldiers to Jerusalem! Byzantium calls for aid...Christ and the Virgin weep at the blood of martyrs spilled on holy pilgrimages! Crusade! -Medieval 2: Total War
posted 04-03-09 08:53 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
Wewt. Comp crash, ftw.

How many troops are there on Ultra? I play on Large unit settings.

¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸EPIC MOD „ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨ IS EPIC!``°º¤ø„¸?
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º
Ex mod on: Spore - HG - RoN - RoL - N:TW
Check out my: DeviantArt - Steam
posted 04-16-09 05:00 AM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
i edited mine to be 240 for a line infantry unit.

which of the alienware pcs would be able to run it like that?
i'd be thinking they would be better than the specs that he posted..

plus i might get one of those soon

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » I heard about huge unit size, but this is ridiculous!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: