You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Suggestion For Fixing the Naval Rebalancing
posted 11-02-09 08:24 PM EDT (US)   
I think most people agree that they dislike some of the rebalancing that came with the 1.4 patch. Well how about this.

I think the justification the creators were using with the 1.4 rebalancing is that the larger guns of the heavier ships have less range (still doesn't make sense but we'll roll with it).
But the cannons on big ships such as first rates weren't all large, they would generally have big cannons like 32 or 42 lbers on the bottom decks but on the higher decks they would carry smaller guns such as 12 lbers (which I assume is also the armament of the smaller frigates).
So I propose that larger ships get range restored to some of their guns but not all so that they can fire at range but must get closer if they want to get the most out of their broadsides. This way small ships would still stand a small chance at range but the heavy ships would not be rendered completely defenseless.
Replies:
posted 11-03-09 09:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
I got to agree its annoying. I actually played a navy battle online and won, but it was so annoying that weakers ships could shoot longer that the larges.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
posted 11-03-09 11:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
I'm still trying to figure out their justification of increasing the range of smaller guns since all I have found/read/know is, as a general rule, the bigger the gun, the longer the range.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
posted 11-03-09 02:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Thats actually true. You could seen that in modernwarefare. Etc in world war 1 the larger the guns the longer range they had. I dont remember if it was France or German, but one of them had a gigantic howitz that could shoot form many kilometers.

And in World war 2 in Italy the Italians had a large gun hidden in a train tunnel. Took it out to defender the Gustav line, and when the allies flew over the line to scout they never understood where they shoots came from, because it was inside the tunnel.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
posted 11-03-09 05:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
Suggestion For Fixing the Naval Rebalancing
Reverting back to the way it was in 1.3 is all that is required.

The reasoning behind the re-balancing is that Total War games traditionally have a "paper-scissors-stone" approach to the battles but this didn't go for naval battles so they pretty much shoe-horned it in.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 11-03-2009 @ 05:12 PM).]

posted 11-03-09 09:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Well the Urban Cohort was pretty much unstoppable 1-1 in RTW.
And I have never found anything that could beat Clibinarii from BI either:/

I guess they had better start "re-balancing" RTW as well!

I always thought there was a bit of rock-paper-scissors to naval battles anyway:/
Big slow ships(1st rate)>smaller fast ships(sloop)
"Special" boats(Galley or rocketship)> Big slow ships (If used properly)
Small fast ships>"Special boats" (Well maybe not if the wind is against you.)
posted 11-04-09 07:49 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
If anyone here hasn't patched ETW to 1.4 yet they could 'rescue' the old naval stats before patching and make a mod with the old values.

Hussarknight
posted 11-05-09 10:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
I wish I'd thought of that before I updated to 1.4 . I think it's unlikely we'll find anyone still on 1.3, especially since 1.4 and 1.5 improved so many other areas of the game.

I just don't go above 5th rates and the occasional 4th rate anymore. It's kind of disappointing.

Re the suggestion in the OP: I suppose it could work, but I imagine it'd be difficult to integrate into the game. It could be possible to put a few 'long Toms' on the top deck as a compromise solution, I suppose, but it'd be best just to scrap the changes to the naval game.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
posted 11-17-09 09:57 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
Was looking at the Empire files today and noticed the patch data is actually stored in a separate patch.pack file so it doesn't overwrite the original data which are still in main.pack, only not used by the game.

I've uploaded a file to the downloads section which *should* roll back the naval battle system to the way it was in 1.3 (which is the same as 1.0). Installation instruction are included in the downlad, so go here to try it out.

Please let me know if everything works correctly, I haven't had the time to test this extensively.

Hussarknight
posted 11-17-09 12:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
I have an unpatched game - but im unsure EXACTLY which version
posted 11-18-09 03:04 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
I'll have a try of the patch.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
posted 11-18-09 04:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
I have an unpatched game - but im unsure EXACTLY which version
Patch version number is on the main menu screen.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Suggestion For Fixing the Naval Rebalancing
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: