Difficulty: Normal
Population goal: 6000
Culture goal: 50
Prosperity goal: 50
Monument goal: 13
Kingdom goal: 40
Minimap:
Latest version: 1.0.0

It's 800BC and the current Pharaoh has tasked you with creating a prosperous city in Greece. The city is to be called Athens and it will become one of the most famous places in the world.

Ample farmland to build a city of 6000 souls was discovered on first site and there is plenty of trees and marshland to make an income. Fish has also been discovered, but not in great supply.

*Egyptian cities will need your vessels from time to time so don't waste time in sending troops! You never know what might happen if you ignore your fellow Egyptians...

Build a bustling city and ensure that Egyptian's can look to you as their future Pharaoh!

*For this request, you are required to send warships for the distant battle troop requests, no forts can be placed in this mission.

All comments and reviews are welcomed to improve the mission!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
ArthusFTW
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 2
You know what grinds my gears?? When there's no way to get rid of ****ing straw, its an annoying ass byproduct of grain. The shit goes everywhere and destroying storage yards just to get rid of it is a pain in the ass, I've got 26 thousand of the ****ing straw - what the ****. No way to make bricks, no one to sell bricks to, no one to sell straw to, there aint even any ****ing zoos. I can see you added Actium as a straw consumer, it would've been more helpful if you also added some way to ****ing trade with Actium as I see no triggers that allow it to be opened. At first I thought, well I'll just stop growing grain and just eat fish and import other shit, no can do - grain is demanded for starvation problems multiple times and you can also export grain (BUT NOT STRAW MOTHER ****ERS), and either way, you dont have enough exports available to sustain an economy where you have to import the majority of your food (at least if you want to have residences). Its not going to be easy to get 6000 population on this map without larger houses and still being somewhat aesthetically-pleasing. It would be easy to go and make Actium available as a trade city but then I'd have to start over.

Balance: 3
I find this to be somewhat related to the above but other than that extremely irritating straw problem it was pretty fun although there was an extreme lack of events after the first few.

Creativity: 4
Unbeknownst to many - the legendary Greek city-state, Athens, was established by the Pharaoh of Egypt in 800 BC, remarkably, long after it had become a major acropolis under the Mycenaeans civilization.

Map Design: 5
The map is pretty nice.

Story/Instructions: 4
It was a pretty fun scenario, the triggers that existed made it kinda fun though it'd be nice if there where more.

Additional Comments:
To anyone who would like to download this, save yourself some frustration beforehand and set Actium as an available trade city in the editor.

-Arthus

[Edited on 12/30/14 @ 06:01 PM]

benbelgam Arthus, seriously? And I mean SERIOUSLY!?

If you don't want the !è§@#é straw simply click the "accept none" button in the options menu of your storage yards each time you build a storage yard. Then select what you DO want the storage yard to accept, or get, and there you have it, no straw, not anywhere. The stuff will simply remain stationairy at the exits of your grain farms.

Not that hard now that they made you a button for that, now is it?

As for the rest of your review, I'm afraid I can't take it seriously after that little "straw-fit" you threw. I'll be reviewing this scenario myself in the very near future.

[Edited on 02/21/15 @ 04:19 PM]

benbelgam
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 3
I gave you a three because, well, the scenario is playable, but I found it very easy and not challenging enough, that's why the score isn't higher.

Balance: 4
I managed to feed a population of 6000 entirely with grain and fish, all locally produced, without the aid of Bast. Upon victory, I had over 250000 debens. Still, a 4 for balance, because producing enough food took some effort and clearing trees is a constant issue, which is good.

Creativity: 3
I didn't see anything especially creative, but you pass because you added enough elements for me not to get bored too easily

After playing the map for a bit, I found the placement of the trees was quite clever, and the different resource areas connected nicely towards the end. Well done!

Story/Instructions: 3
Your story is a bit weird... A pharaoh in Athens? Founding the city? In 800 BC? Well, at least you took the effort to come up with a story, and the instructions were sufficient.

Additional Comments:
I have to add that it took me a whooping 425 months to complete the scenario, because my mastaba glitched and I had to rebuild it, and since I got into monument building a bit late into the game, I only had room for two brickworks. All this partially explains why I had such an excessive amount of debens at the end. Overall, a nice map, but I think you could have gotten a bit more out of it.

[Edited on 02/21/15 @ 04:17 PM]

Sajuuk
File Author
@ArthusFTW:
"To anyone who would like to download this, save yourself some frustration beforehand and set Actium as an available trade city in the editor."

You should not edit maps just to make a trade partner available as it breaks the flow of the story.

As for the rest of your "review", it was just a rant based on your clear lack of knowledge of how the game works. You should maybe complete some of the tutorial missions before ranting about how the map sucks, when it's clear you lack basic concepts of making money.

@benbelgam
"I gave you a three because, well, the scenario is playable, but I found it very easy and not challenging enough, that's why the score isn't higher."

Not all maps I develop are supposed to be difficult. This was just about developing a basic port city for Egypt, nothing more.

"Your story is a bit weird... A pharaoh in Athens? Founding the city? In 800 BC? Well, at least you took the effort to come up with a story, and the instructions were sufficient."

Pharaohs existed all the way up to the death of Cleopatra. The Pharaoh was not in Athens, but the Pharaoh in the story wanted a city made here.

Thanks for the review though.

[Edited on 06/02/15 @ 11:21 AM]

Blais
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
One of the few scenarios I actually played until the very end. Although the second warship I sent out to help failed (it was very strong, no idea what happened), not sure if that was intentional or not, after that a trade route closed, and no others requests for warships followed, which left me stuck with clay and pottery in high demand and nowhere enough supply.

Balance: 5
Good balance for pretty much everything. I wouldn't mind cattle ranches, as a straw solution. Or other farms available, but that would be a different scenario then. So no real complaints here.

Creativity: 4
All in all some interesting choices. The recurring grain requests weren't too bothersome.

Good layout, enough space at first, soon problematic (wood vs. removing it for city expansions), a challenge that I liked.

Story/Instructions: 4
Good, with the exception mentioned under playability.

As someone who prefers citybuilding and trade over battle I can write that this was a great scenario.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.7