File Details
Difficulty: Hard
Population goal: 5000
Culture goal: 95
Prosperity goal: 85
Monument goal: 36
Kingdom goal: 75
Minimap:
Ptolemy I has ruled Egypt as Satrap for 34 years, defending the cities and expanding the borders of the realm through both conquest and diplomacy. The country is flourishing, and although some of your northern islands were recently lost, the country is largely at peace, and trade is abundant. Last year, 289 BCE, Ptolemy elevated his son Ptolemy II as co-regent of Egypt, and he is planning to retire from rule and devote himself to literary work.

Just recently, Ptolemy's explorers discovered an oasis tucked into the cliffs east of the Great Bitter Lake. Entirely encircled by vast cliffs, a lush valley sparkles. In this hidden pearl in the desert, Ptolemy has bidden you, his greatest architect, to establish a new city devoted to learning and enriching the wisdom of Egypt. Although Alexandria has become a great city on the northern coast, Ptolemy wishes to recreate some of that splendor in this secret oasis, creating a secret citadel for the wise to seek ever greater learning. You will build a second Library of Alexandria to protect the archives of all Egypt, and a sphinx in honor of the glory of his long reign. Finally, you have plans for a new temple of learning, a Caesarium.

Although the valley of this citadel is rich in resources, it will take careful planning to fit these large monuments, plus housing and industries to support the workers, scribes, and sages who will dominate the city, all into the land between the high cliffs. You dearly hope that there will be room for a zoo as well.

________
This is the first scenario I have uploaded and I'd appreciate any feedback. I tested it and worked out some bugs, but there could be more. It's meant to be a layout challenge, without too many resource constraints or military interference, for those who like to design beautiful cities with high culture and prosperity requirements. I use housing blocks that are very effective, but a bit clunky, and the first time I tried it I simply had no room to add more statues or benefits to improve my modest estates to the palacial estates required.

Sorry I was not able to make the minimap.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Squidbrains
File Author
Update - Played it again and I have a black hole bug in my game. I went back to a previous save and redeveloped, and the hole ended up a few squares away but is still there. Let me know if this happens to everyone and I will try to fix the map somehow?
burt777
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
Great map, a few hours of puzzling!

Balance: 3
The space wasn't the issue for me, but getting 5000 employed efficiently enough to reach 95 culture was pretty hard. You need quite a bunch of libraries and other employee-heavy structures. Money is clearly not the issue.

Creativity: 4
The cliffs, rivers and limited space make this map less than straight forward.

Map Design: 4
Very nicely done. I bet there are multiple ways to build a city in the oasis, which i think is good.

Story/Instructions: 4
Good.

Additional Comments:
Thanks for the mission, if you make any other missions, i'll surely try them. As a token of gratitude, i made you this:
http://www.planetburt.com/stuff/Citadel_on_trhee_rivers_minimap.png
Sajuuk I cannot play this map. I've tried multiple methods, but I cannot extract the file within. This appears to be only related to this scenario, as other scenario's can be downloaded and extracted just fine. I've reported this issue on the forums to be fixed.

[Edited on 06/17/14 @ 10:55 AM]

Squidbrains
File Author
That's odd. Did you hear back from the forums on it?
macad If anyone who has played this could upload it again that would be great. The archive must be damaged. I tried doing a repair on the archive as well but no go.
Sajuuk I missed this discussion. Basically, the problem is that you have created the archive using a program (7zip) that uses a different compression method.

Therefore, only 7zip can decompress the contents of the zip. If you do see this comment, please re-archive the files using the archive system provided by Windows so that it works for all users. (WinRAR would work as well)
Squidbrains
File Author
Okay, thanks. I updated it and hopefully it works again now.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0