Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Pharaoh: Completed cities » On (Heliopolis)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

On (Heliopolis)

Author File Description
Brugle
File Details
Era/Kingdom: Old Kingdom
Score: 6086
Difficulty: Hard
On, perhaps the best Pharaoh (or Caesar III) city I've built to date. The enhancement pack (v1.2) was installed, but Cleopatra was not. For victory, dispatch the last burial provision (a block of limestone) and wait a month for the last mastaba to complete. To govern longer, wait until the mastaba completes and put a road tile where its "staging area" was.

No salary was drawn. There was no debt and the "rescue" gift wasn't taken. No "cheats" (such as free gardens) were used. Money was spent almost as soon as it was received. Each December, just enough was spent to result in a small increase for the year. If the city is continued into the future, debens will increase about 12000/year.

Since I love to eat, everyone consumes two foods, and every house is a spacious residence or better. People on the mainland eat imported food. People on the islands eat domestic food.

Since I love to read, a librarian passes every house. All health, education, and entertainment ratings are "perfect" without "culture parks". (This would be impossible with Cleopatra, since there are no zoos.) The libraries, schools, mortuaries, and senet house are well supplied.

One dock handles all trade. Limestone is produced only for requests, even though Pharaoh expected On to sell it. To avoid interfering with mastaba construction, no bricks were sold.

I tried to use workers efficiently. (For example, there are only 7 architect posts and 8 firehouses.) This allowed the brick industry (which needed imported straw to supplement domestic straw) to employ a reasonable number of workers.

Each land area houses roughly (within a factor of 2) the working people required to staff its buildings. The population stabilized just before the game was saved. There was a significant worker shortage for a few months (after building the last entertainment venues), until brick production was turned off.

Each island has an archer fort, and the mainland has two. All soldiers are academy trained. Within 5 months after victory conditions are met, all 96 soldiers are produced. (If the city had been left undefended, money would have been plentiful after about 4 years.)

For realism, the palace, mansion, festival square, and best houses are in the same area. Some of the entertainment areas are beautified, which is unusual for me.

If victory is taken immediately (greatly reducing the score), the results are:
Culture: 100
Prosperity: 100
Kingdom: 100
Funds: 4087
Population: 4796
Difficulty: Hard
Months: 100
Score: 6086
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
VitruviusAIA Brugle,

I really liked the way you utilized all five landmasses for development. I especially enjoyed the “additional” requirements that you set for yourself (library access for every house and 2 kinds of food). I also noticed that you gave your city a realistic layout by connecting all of the roadways. I do this too.

What impressed me most was the efficiency of your city. That you could provide for so many industries with so few houses and so little infrastructure is quite an accomplishment. It seems that I am always short of labor. You have shown me how to overcome this. Be more efficient. Thank you for posting this city. Well done.
Brugle
File Author
While I hate to contradict VitruviusAIA after such nice compliments, all roadways aren't connected. The mainland and its ferry is one road network, and everything else is another. I don't have the courage to connect a dock to distant storage yards that contain goods that are bought and sold by water.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,503
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:145.74 KB
Added:09/08/00