You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design)
Moderated by Wok

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scenario Design: What do you want to see in a design community?
posted 04-26-06 04:02 PM EDT (US)   
This is a much more simple question then some of the others that I have posed.

What do you want to see in a design community?

This question is completely open ended. However, keep in mind that I will most likely be looking at this thread for ideas on how to build and develop the scenario design community here at Rise and Fall Heaven. If you have a plausible idea that you think would be beneficial to this design community, post it here.

Make sure to properly explain your idea. If post something like the following, I will completly ignore it.

An Example of something not to post:

Quote:

i wantz revview teams, Guy!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 04-26-2006 @ 04:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-26-06 06:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
As I see it at the moment, with standard maps not being random like in other RTSs, a lot of attention will be on scenarios and mods, though of course we will need to give that extra push to start the attention.

Sites like Half Life Fallout http://www.hlfallout.net/, Total War Centre http://www.twcenter.net/and http://www.gtagaming.com/sanandreas/
have huge support for the design community, there's usually atleast one news post a day on progress in all the projects. I have been dissapointed so far to not see something like this for RTSs. But I believe since you are so motivated we can redeem this

'Course i'm not suggesting ALL projects to be reported on daily, however the more promising ones should whenever there's a media release (dissapointingly, at AOMH/AOE3H even the most promising ones are not newsied often.. unless you're a mod and want to advertise your own project on the news... I won't mention names.) There should also be weekly newsies where the mod quickly mentions current happenings in the community, eg: http://www.hlfallout.net/content/search.php?scope=newscate&type=equal&find=600

I think that you should also have a wiki like the AoE3H one so people can easily add and edit articles.

Well, that's it from me for now

PS: Extended review or submission guidelines do not help people submit or review work.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 04-26-2006 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 04-26-06 07:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  

Quote:

'Course i'm not suggesting ALL projects to be reported on daily, however the more promising ones should whenever there's a media release (dissapointingly, at AOMH/AOE3H even the most promising ones are not newsied often.. unless you're a mod and want to advertise your own project on the news... I won't mention names.) There should also be weekly newsies where the mod quickly mentions current happenings in the community, eg: http://www.hlfallout.net/content/search.php?scope=newscate&type=equal&find=600

The problem with that is that there is big difference between what is actually “good” and what is advertised the most. AoMH and AoE3H have really been the “poster boy” for promising, over advertised projects that have gone absolutely nowhere. I hope that there will be more project spotlights in the news here, but actually receiving a spotlight is going to depend on more than just the ability to advertise.

Quote:

Extended review or submission guidelines do not help people submit or review work.

Well these are a necessity, so they aren’t going to go away or anything. As reviewers and designers develop their skills they often start to pay more attention to the reviewing guidelines. The guidelines are more for their benefit than for the new users that don’t read them.

Quote:

I think that you should also have a wiki like the AoE3H one so people can easily add and edit articles.

I thought the Wiki was a good idea at first, but considering how infrequently it has been used, it seems like a waste of effort to me and thus I probably won’t take any steps to implement one here.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 04-26-2006 @ 07:32 PM).]

posted 04-27-06 07:29 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
a place to upload the scens to would be nice...

i will be script editing a few scens from ee (open the scen triggers in notepad and change the objects correspond to R&F's) hopefully the system wont be too far off, this method was possible for EE to E:domtw

posted 04-27-06 11:51 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
The showcasing on the news thing is difficult to balance sometimes. I dislike hyping projects up that for all I know consist of an image advertising the project, as nothing is worse than a hyped up cancelled project. I've been trying to do it at AoE3H and hope to do more spotlights in the future, but it'll be projects nearing completion and with something physical to show for (screenshots, story, demo, cinematic etc) that'll get the spotlight. It'd be nice to see it done here. A weekly downloads section round-up newsletter/thread would be nice.
posted 04-27-06 01:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Yes it is quite hard to balance, but nowadays I am seeing promising projects pop up all the time (especially from design teams since they know not to post about non-promising projects), and I feel (for example, Sziggi's "Fortitude" was hardly known about) they could do with a little more attention.

@Wiki: The problem with the wiki is that it's hard to navigate in since it is a completely different design to the site. Perhaps it would be a better idea to make a dedicated tutorials forum.

Edit: Ok, Sziggi's project was a bad example lol 1,658 dls

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 04-27-2006 @ 01:40 PM).]

Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design) » Scenario Design: What do you want to see in a design community?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames