Moderated by Wok

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Endeavor Studios Presents - Last Stand:The Battle of Thermopylae
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 10-08-06 09:00 PM EDT (US)   
Last Stand:The Battle of Thermopylae

We are proud to announce our first undertaking. Last Satnd:The Battle of Thermopylae.

Synopsis

Take control of the garrison at Thermopylae, as you hold back as many Persians as possible in your epic last stand. Play as Leonidas King of Sparta, and take control of both the renowned 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians. Now is your chance to rewrite history and and defeat hopeless odds.

Gameplay begins as soon as Leonidas dismisses all Greek forces. After being given a few moments to organize your forces Persians will begin spilling out of mountain path. The player must decide where to carry his forces to make his last stand. Hero mode is available although stamina is limited. The Persian army has been scaled down to 17,000 in order to increase computer performance. To win, the player must defeat several waves of Persians including archers, infantry and cavalry. Be wary that if King Leonidas is slain, all hope is lost for those in Thermopylae.

Complete with professional cinematics, Last Stand:The Battle of Thermopylae will set a new standard in scenario design.

History

481 BC. Thermopylae was a narrow mountain pass on the coast of the Gulf of Mails. Upon the western side of the pass stood the roots of formidable mountains and sheer cliffs. On the opposate side of the pass there lay a drop into the western edge of the Gulf of Malis. The pass itself was said to have been about 14 yards wide, although other estimates state it was barely wide enough to allow the comfortable passage of two Scythe Chariots. The name Thermopylae in Greek translates as, "The Hot Gates" in reference to several hot water springs in the vicinity of the gates. Thermopylae was actually composed of not one, but a series of three gates, the center one reinforced by a short wall. It was at this gate that the Greeks held the Persians at bay.

Although he is deemed the victor at Thermopylae, Xeres I of Persia is often seen as the antagonist in the minds of many historical enthusiasts. The size of his army is often a subject of much controversy for historians, although the generally agreed upon number is that given by Herodotus of Halicarnassus. He speaks of 1,700,000 infantry, and 80,000 cavalry alongside 20,000 Arabs and Libyans. A great force to be reckoned with in ancient times.

The Greek forces under the command of King Leonidas of Sparta were said to have amounted to 5,200 total troops, a mere spec of dust in contrast to the mighty Persian army. The renowned 300 Spartans as well as 500 Matineans, 500 Tegians, 1,120 Arcadians, 400 Corinthians, 200 Floians, 80 Mycenaeans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans, and 1,000 Phocians made up this small garrison. Such a small response to a Persian army of such numerical magnitude suggests that these noble men were sent to the pass to delay Persian advancement. They were not expected to emerge victorious.

Xeres arrived at Thermopylae before expected, and set up his camp in the plain below the pass. After sending scouts to the pass, he was surprised to hear of the Greeks performing calinsthenics and braiding their hair, not aware of the fact that these were signs of men with a resolution to fight to the death. After this news, Xeres went to the pass to announce his presence to King Leonidas, and offered to make him king of all of Greece if he would join him. To this the noble king answered, "If you knew what is good in life, you would abstain from wishing for foreign things. For me it is better to die for Greece than to be monarch over my compatriots” Once again Xeres asked the king to surrender his arms, and it was then that king Leonidas sealed his fate shouting, "Come and take them!"

Enraged, Xeres marched back to his camp and, dismissing the King's words as naive impudence, and announced to his men that he would give the Greeks a few days to abandon the pass.

An army as large as that of Xeres I would consume much resourses and could not afford to stay in one place for to long. It was because of this that on the fifth day, Xeres ordered 10,000 Medes into the pass, so confident of his victory that he ordered them to take the Spartans alive. The Spartans, aware of his movements marched away from the safety of the gate, and formed a phalanx in the pass. Lining up into rows stretching the length of the pass, the first few rows holding their spears outwards towards the enemy. It was with these spears and their superior armor that the Spartans were able to repel the 10,000 Persians. However this first victory should not only be credited to the Spartans' equipment, but to the militaristic strategy as well. Several times the Spartans feinted retreats, turning and fleeing a few yards towards the gate and, just as the enemy began to break rank and pursue them, the Spartans quickly turned back into formation, spilling Persian blood upon their shields. Later that day, Xeres sent another 20,000 men into the pass, accompanied by whip wielding officers who lashed them whenever they attempted to retreat. These too were defeated by the Spartans through the same technique.

On the second day of battle, Xeres sent 50,000 into the Spartan deathtrap, only to hear once again that they were repelled. Growing increasingly frustrated, he resorted to the Persian Immortals, a class of battle scarred veterans, very similar in resolve to the Roman Triarii. Unfortunately, Xeres last resort also fell to the Spartans' tactical advantage.

Little known is the fact that Leonidas had arranged for groups of hoplites to be sent from various nearby cities to be sent to Thermoylae so that he would have fresh troops on the front line yet, while in battle many of the Greeks did not rotate, but kept on fighting the Persians.

That night, after the second day of fighting was done with, a local shepherd by the name of Ephialtes (consequently the Greek word for traitor) found a way into Xeres' camp and informed him of a separate pass through the mountains that would lead him behind the gate, allowing him to outflank and surround the Greeks. Xeres immediately sent Hydarnes and his Immortals into the pass, where they discovered the pass was guarded by 1,000 Phocians. Surprised and ill prepared for combat, the Phocians fought briefly and retreated up the mountain to regroup. Hydarnes did not pursue the Phocians but marched unopposed through the pass.

It was morning when the Greeks discovered that the Persians had entered the pass and, knowing that they now had no chance against them, Leonidas disbanded all Greek forces except the Spartans and Thebans, however a group of 700 Thespians under Demophilus refused to leave. This offer to stay and fight was of such great significance because Spartan soldiers had been trained from such young ages to die in combat, and the Thebans were honor bound by their king to remain in the pass yet the Thespians, all citizen soldiers, had a choice to leave the pass with their lives and still they chose to stay and fight alongside their brothers in arms. As a result of this selfless act of comradeship, the Spartans bestowed upon them their cloaks and swore alliance with the Thespians for eternity.

The fighting began that dreadful morning as the immortals drove the Greeks up a small hillock in the narrowest pat of the pass where their heroic last stand was to occur. After witnessing this, the Thebans took no time in surrendering to the Persians. The fighting stretched on for three days, the Greeks forming an unbreakable circle in the middle of the hill. Carrying their wounded into the circle to be treated. Relieving each other of their relentless fighting. Every Spartan and Thespian in that circle was no more than a few yards away from the clamor of swords. These men did not ease, there was always fighting to be done. When their spears cracked, they fought with their xiphos. When these short swords broke, they fought with their bare hands, and when these grew weary, they fought with tooth and nail.

It was far from his Spartans that Leonidas fell. After witnessing this, a group of soldiers broke from this circle and frantically fought their way towards their fallen king, retrieving him, and carrying him back to the main group. To this Xeres demanded that the Spartans surrender Leonidas' body in return for their lives, and the Spartans answered, "A Spartan leaves the field with his shield or upon it!" Xeres then gave a final command that his infantry be withdrawn from battle, and the Spartans killed with a hail of arrows.

Enraged at the immense losses he suffered; Xeres cut off the head of Leonidas King of Sparta, and crucified his body.

It has been said that King Leonidas did not leave Thermopylae because an earlier reading of the Oracle at Delphi stated that either one of Sparta's two Kings must fall in battle or Sparta herself would fall to ruin.

Nevertheless, the great sacrifice of the Spartans and Thespians has been remembered through the ages as a selfless last stand!

[This message has been edited by Jaime Medrano (edited 10-22-2006 @ 08:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-08-06 09:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 100  
Sounds like a lot of fun, but um... How will it not lagg like no other, even with 170,000 troops?.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 10-09-06 11:21 AM EDT (US)     2 / 100  
Well I can see this scenario relying heavily on the remove/add object from/to physics triggers, and I don't expect to have that many units on the map at once. I would also like to make a correction. I added an extra 0 to the number, which should be 17,000 Persians.
-JAIME
posted 10-11-06 11:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 100  
Sounds interesting.

Suggestion:
In the actual thing, Xeres was so stupid he didn't use arrows until the last battle I think. So I suggest having Persia keep sending in spearmen and swordsmen, maybe cavalry, and the ending cinema being Leonidas killed and then a hail of arrows killing off the survivors.

posted 10-14-06 04:14 AM EDT (US)     4 / 100  
Sounds good, is this just one scenario or a campagin?

This is the best signature ever!
posted 10-14-06 01:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 100  
Dr. Girp, LS will be composed of only one playable scenario.
I do think I may take a few creative liberties and include some arrows, just for depth and variation. Of course unit strength will be weighted, but nothing drastic.
posted 10-18-06 02:02 PM EDT (US)     6 / 100  
Just wonder, how many staff are working in Endeavor Studios?

posted 10-18-06 09:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 100  
Actually it is just me by my lonesome, I just wanted a central hub to hold any work I create.
posted 10-18-06 10:24 PM EDT (US)     8 / 100  
That sounds like a monstrous project...

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 10-19-06 07:24 AM EDT (US)     9 / 100  
Endeavor Studios is all about challenging that which is formidable. We "endeavor" and excel
posted 10-19-06 04:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 100  
This project looks very promising
Good luck.
posted 10-19-06 09:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 100  
Good luck and have FUN.

posted 10-20-06 02:50 PM EDT (US)     12 / 100  
I'm looking forward to play your scenarios.

posted 10-22-06 02:24 PM EDT (US)     13 / 100  
well thankyou agian for all of your support. I would like to take this opportunity to invite anyone who would like to be a part of this project to please tell me if you would like to be a part of Endeavor Studios. We actually hope to have several projects going at one time, and you would be completely free to suggest a project you would like to work on. The reason I announce this here is because I hope to attract only those who show an interest in such projects. I hope to hear from several of you soon.

-Jaime Medrano

posted 10-22-06 02:31 PM EDT (US)     14 / 100  
I would love to but my total and complete lack of design abillity would probably hold me back. I don't even know how to make a landscape/map or anything

posted 10-22-06 02:57 PM EDT (US)     15 / 100  
Lol
I Might Make Cool Names But You'd Have To Teach Me All The Triggers,Landscaping,All That Good Stuff

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
posted 10-22-06 03:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 100  
Well, if you guys have any type of skill, creativity, good writer, intereest in history, etc. please tell me what you think you can bring to the table.
posted 10-22-06 03:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 100  
Im a pretty good history person, if you want to know anything, and i can be creative.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
posted 10-22-06 05:06 PM EDT (US)     18 / 100  
I'm creative and a decent writer but I don't know how I could help.

posted 10-22-06 08:25 PM EDT (US)     19 / 100  
Well, I'm certainly impressed with how this project is going so far. So impressed that I joined the Endeavor Studios Team. So far Jaime and I are the only members and it's going to be an uphill battle to get this project and team to take-off the way we envision it to. Both Jaime and I have years of experience designing scenarios, but we don't have to be alone in this "endeavor". We're looking for a few good designers who know their way around the Titan Editor or specialize in some kind of scenario design field (that means you Accolon, Dr. Grip, and _o0XxX0o_). This is your chance to band together and give Rick Goodman's masterpiece the design community it deserves.

[This message has been edited by Spartos (edited 10-22-2006 @ 08:26 PM).]

posted 10-22-06 09:12 PM EDT (US)     20 / 100  
_o0XxX0o_ is certainly very knowledgable about the editor I've also played a few of his MP scns which are loads of fun.

Dr. Grip's balance map is amazing, without a doubt. The four of you combined could make a hell of a scn design team.

posted 10-22-06 11:44 PM EDT (US)     21 / 100  
We wouldn't mind having you as well, at least for stories and creativity, and you may gain some experience in the editor.
posted 10-25-06 08:37 AM EDT (US)     22 / 100  
This sounds interesting, if it turns out very good I might even buy RaF just to play it.

I have spent way too many hours studying the Persian Wars and the Spartan military, so if you need any help on history, dialogue and appearance of the map, just give a yell.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
posted 10-25-06 10:19 AM EDT (US)     23 / 100  
OK. I'm willing to help in any way I can. I can help research, come up with ideas for scenarios, and playtest as well.

posted 10-25-06 12:44 PM EDT (US)     24 / 100  
I have just joined it too. I would need to work on the map design and perhaps some triggers for the project.

posted 10-25-06 03:38 PM EDT (US)     25 / 100  
Well here we have it, the Endeavor Studios Team is finally set and ready to begin designing! Our members are...

(Check member list, posted in this thread.)

I think we are still recruiting more members but, if you wish to join up you'll have to contact Jaime first.

@ Dieneces,
Your knowledge of the Terrain and History will be a great help to us. If you like, you could start by telling us some of the details of Hoplite Warfare as the Spartans practiced it. What aspects of this type of military would make fun features for a scenario? If you could give us a hand that would be great.

I've also finished compiling a list of historical events during and leading up to the Battle of Thermopylae.

Events Leading up to the Battle

484 BC - Xerxes I king of Persia, begins preparing an army to carry on the war his father Darius started
480 BC - Xerxes army arrives in Asia Minor after four years of preparation
- bridge of ships made at Abydos to carry the Persians across the Hellespont
- assembly of the Greeks at Corinth
- Persian army encounters a force of 10,000 Athenian and Spartan Hoplites led by Themistocles and Euanetus in the vale of Tempe
- Persians take the Sarantaporo pass, evading the blockade
- Greeks warned by Alexander I of Macedon of the Persian movements and decide the next best choke-point is Thermopylae

Arrival of the Greeks at Thermopylae

August, 480 BC - Greek forces consisting of:

Spartans 300 (rest of Spartan army delayed by festival of Karneia)
Mantineans 500
Tegeans 500
Arcadians 1,120
Corinthians 400
Floians 200
Mycenaeans 80
Thespians 700
Thebans 400
Phocians 1,000
(Persian force around 60x larger)

- Xerxes could have side-stepped Thermopylae by ferrying his army across the Maliacos bay
- Athenian navy engaged the Persian fleet at Artemision to counter this threat
- Greek strategy was probably to hold Xerxes long enough until, casualties, hunger and unrest seized his army, forcing him to withdraw
- Xerxes sends emissaries to Greeks
He offers Leonidas all of Greece if he will join the Persians. Leonidas responds "Tell your King: If you knew what is good in life you would abstain from wishing for foreign things. For me it is better to die for Greece than to be monarch over my compatriots."
The emissaries then demanded that Leonidas and his whole company surrender there arms. He responded, "Molon labe!" (Come and take them!).

The Battle Begins

- Xerxes gets reports that the Greeks are performing calisthenics and braiding their hair. This is a sign that they will certainly fight, and Xerxes, who expected them to disband soon, became angery at the delays.
- on 5th day 10,000 Persians sent to take the pass, consisting of Medes and relatives of Marathon casualties led by Artapanus
- Spartan named Dienekes (same as Dieneces?) informed that the Persian arrows would blot out the son. He replied, "So much the better, we shall fight in the shade."
- Greeks deployed in Phalanx formation spanning the width of the pass, and the Thespians led the attack, but the Spartans relieved them later
- Persians attacked with arrows and short spears
- Persians couldn't break Phalanx, could not outflank rendering their number useless
- Spartans would fake a retreat until the Persians broke formation to follow, and then they'd turn around, get back into a phalanx and slaughter their disorganized foes
- another wave of 20,000 Persians (Kissians) followed, with whips driving them on
- Spartans used the same tactic and killed many
- the 6th day a total of 50,000 Persians (Sakians) attacked the pass, all of them repelled with heavy losses to the Persians
- finally the elite Persian Immortals (Anusiya) were sent, but they were beaten also, all others lost heart
- fewer than 100 Greeks were killed, seemed like they could fight forever

Betrayal

- 7th day a local shepherd called Ephialtes (whose name means "nightmare" but later became synonymous with "traitor")showed the Persians a separate path through the Kallidromos Mountain that came out on the other side of Thermopylae
- Xerxes sent Hydarnes with the Immortals through the pass
- 1,000 Phocians guarding it, were repelled and fled up the mountain to regroup, Persians however, marched on without opposing them
- Leonidas dismissed all troops save the Thebans (because their loyalty to Greece was questioned) and his own 300 Spartans
- 700 Thespians stayed also, and Spartans gave them their war cloaks and promised to be eternally allied with Thespiae

The Last Stand

- Xerxes now attacked from both sides of the pass
- after the Spartans had suffered heavily, they retreated to a small hill at the narrowest point of the pass and formed a circle
- the Theban traitors took this opportunity to surrender to the Persians
- the battle was extrememly brutal, even to hoplite standards; they fought with spears, then xiphos (swords), then arms, then teeth and nails
- Greeks killed many Persians including two of Xerxes' brothers
- Leonidas was finally slain, and the Spartans fought fanatically for control of his body (the promise of the Delphic oracle was fulfilled: Sparta lost a king, but was itself, saved)
- finally, after taking many more casualties, Xerxes decided to finish the remaining Spartans with arrows

"Stranger, tell the Spartans,"
"Here we lie, Obedient."
- Epitaph of the fallen Spartans

We can use this list and the information Jaime has compiled to create the framework of the scenario. We don't neccesarily have to make our scenerio historically accurate, or interpret the evidence the same way as the scholars do. Keep in mind this isn't the final order of the scenario by any means. If anyone would like to point out any errors I've made or controversial issues contained in it, feel free to do so. From this point our story writers can begin researching characters (or creating new ones) and we can also come up with interesting features to incorproate into the scenario. (Team members will probably want to keep most of their ideas to a strictly e-mail basis, so we don't give any goodies away while we're still in the planning stage.)

[This message has been edited by Spartos (edited 10-26-2006 @ 08:32 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design) » Endeavor Studios Presents - Last Stand:The Battle of Thermopylae
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames