Please login or register

Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design)
Moderated by Wok

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: campaign announcement: The Dragon Cult
posted 10-30-06 06:59 AM EDT (US)   

In the second century BC while Rome and Carthage were fighting the Punic Wars, in East Mediterranean Greece and Asia Minor were divided in several hellenistic small states shaped by the carving-up of Alexander's empire after the death of the great Macedonian general. Among them there was Pergamus, a little mountainous and rich kingdom in western Anatolia, ruled by a wise and powerfull dynasty. But in 149 BC, king Attalus III suddenly died and his heritage, instead of passing to Diaces, Attalus' son and rightful heir, was forcefully taken by Creones, king's half-brother. The usurper, supported by aristocracy, came to the throne and Diaces was forced to leave the kingdom and banished for life from his motherland. But he wasn't alone, in fact a bunch of faithful companions leaded by Gallaucos, a veteran soldier in Attalus's army, were with him in his exile and they followed Diaces in all the adventures and heroic deeds that would have let him go back to home with his head held high to reclaim what was due to him by right.

"The Dragon Cult" is a fantasy and entirely fictitious mini-campaign composed by 4 playable maps:

The Roman Diplomat
progress: 100%
features: naval warfare
screenshots:

King's Daughter
features: hero mode only, chariots
screenshots:

Lysania Stronghold
features: siege, build&destroy
screenshots:

Dragon's Lair
features: hero mode only, fixed forces
screenshots:

Release date: released

Download Link

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 12-17-2006 @ 09:14 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-30-06 03:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
This looks very promising, your story sounds intriguing. RPG campaigns are usually the most fun to make (IMO) because of the storyline built around the characters. I hope you have a great time designing this one. Now we've got two large-scale projects underway, this scenario design community is starting look promising here at RaFH. Good luck with the project, Oscar.

Just wondering, will you be releasing these scenarios separately or all together as one campaign?

[This message has been edited by Spartos (edited 10-30-2006 @ 04:18 PM).]

posted 10-30-06 06:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
That looks pretty cool. Are you going to release all the maps at once, or one at a time?

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 10-31-06 03:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
Thx for your reactions

Quote:

Are you going to release all the maps at once, or one at a time?

all the maps at once, when the whole campaign will be finished.

Like you I would like to see a very active and bigger scenario design community, since raf editor is without dounbt the most powerful ever realased, the only problem is that Rise and Fall is not as popular/widespread as other rts games.

posted 10-31-06 05:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
I'm looking forward to play this

This is the best signature ever!
posted 11-05-06 05:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
WOW!

That's All I can say.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2%
that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig. -
Hoarfrost
posted 11-15-06 05:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
It's time for some updateds: the second map is done and I've uploaded some screens in the main topic.
Working with chariots in hero mode has been very funny and interesting but this is of course the last time that I use them, they in fact requires too much time, too many tests and sometimes they could be very annoying.
Just 2 examples:
I wasted a huge amount of time to create a walkable bridge full of eyecandies but then, because of chariots, I had to remove it and to replace it with a ford. Do you know why? The chariots can cross a bridge without problems, the only weird thing is the heroes mounted on chariots in hero mode are hurled down from the chariots as soon as their chariots climb the bridge ramp
Second example: imagine your chariot that is running after the enemies. In your opinion what happens if the chariot hurts a tree? Nothing, the chariot passes through the tree without problems but your hero (in hero mode) instead knocks against trunk and he is again hurled down from the chariot

regards

posted 11-15-06 09:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
I'm sorry for the problems but the second example would look pretty funny, I think

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
posted 11-16-06 01:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
Chariots are weird. When I was testing out Sparto's ideas I put 2 javalin throwers on a chariot. The chariot works fine until it sees an enemy, the javalins got knocked down and they walked on the same place.

posted 11-28-06 05:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
map 3 is done, too, except for some small bugs I'm going to fix very soon.
This map is no more a build destroy scenario in which the player gather resources and train troops like I wrote in the main showcase.
Now in fact there is a hero mode only mission at the end of the map and during the game the recruitment of new units has been automatized and workers are now just siege enginers to build siege towers and rams.

Unfortunately with this map I'm experimenting lag...
I created this scenario experimenting no problems with the video options set on medium (I usually design and play online with medium video and audio options) then when I replayed it to take the screenshot to post in this showcase with the highest possible video otions (all set on ultra) the game became sometimes very unplayable... I just hope the people that will play this campaign have a pc more powerfull than my 1.66 GHz and 512 mb RAM notebook

posted 11-28-06 08:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
I'm sure most people will, and if they don't the settings can drop a whole lot from ultra

posted 11-30-06 08:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Being one of your many AoMH fanboys, I just had to check this out. The story sounds great and the screenshots are beautiful. Good luck on releasing.

posted 12-01-06 08:00 AM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
Thanks for your reactions

Quote:

The story sounds great

I'm sorry but the story is not great at all...
Like I wroto to Vandahall some times ago I'm totally focussing only on the gameplay.
More than a "tale" this campaign is more an attempt to "explore" the features and the (great) potential of this game.

posted 12-01-06 07:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
First of all, your screenshots are astonishing! (That's coming from the "humble" winner of the latest screenshot competition ) I especially like the first one on the right column of the Lysania Stronghold section. The temple, forests and lighting are just perfect. (I think we need to start up a new screenshot competition soon, so all of RaF's designers can showcase their new skills with the editor. What do ya say Wok, are their enough people interested?)

I've also noticed that all of the scenarios so far have been at dusk (or is it supposed to be dawn) this looks very nice, but can become a bit exhausting to the eye to players. Also, if the camera is looking at an area in the shade, the ground will appear almost completely pitch-black because of the lighting. Although this does look very nice in most shots, some look a little strange. Perhaps an environment change is in order?

Thats the only constructive criticism I can come up with, so you're doing an excellent job! So far this entire project looks fabulous and I hope it will be finished soon so we can all enjoy it. I've also been planning for my own campaign project which I will create in the down-time I have from working on Last Stand. I plan to have this campaign set during the time of the Bronze Age Aegean Civilizations (Minoans, Mycenaeans, Western Coast of Asia Minor).

So, good luck with the completion of your project, I can't wait to play it!

posted 12-03-06 06:22 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
Thanks!

Well, I love sunset/dusk/down lightings, they reminds me the marvellous sky of Ground Control 2 rts game and this is the main reason I'm exploiting them in my maps.
But the shadow is at the same time a big problem cause in these environments the light source (sun) is very low above the horizon so medium or high elevations cast a huge shadow that covers most of the map.
Another problem is that the shadows casted by elevations affect only the terrain (that becomes darker) but not the objects (that don't change their color) and this contrast is a little ugly.
Actually I think I should have planned in a better way the elevations configuration of my scenarios to avoid to design any high elevation between the light source and the playable areas but, well, now it's too late except maybe for the second map in which I could easily replace the sunset lighting with a day one

regards

posted 12-11-06 04:26 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
What a sweet bliss, the 4th map is completed

In this map I've tried to recreate a first-person shooters/action game with the hero mode of Rise and Fall in which 5 heroes led by the computer will assist Diaces for all the lenght of the mission except for a little part.

Comp heroes sometimes don't behave in the right way but well I'm too tired to find and to test other possible triggers systems.

Anyway now all the 4 maps are "done" but this doesn't mean I can realase them now, in fact I have still to add objectives, hints, to make the lag smaller, to optimize the scenarios, to create the campaign file and so on...
In short the campaign will be ready in 2-3 years

regards

posted 12-11-06 08:19 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
Lol 2-3 years sounds good as it would take me an eternity . Congrats on finishing, and I think I talk for everybody when I say we are looking forward to playing it.

posted 12-12-06 11:59 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
definitly, just tell me if u need some testers
posted 12-13-06 08:37 AM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
About the playtesters I'm sorry but I haven't enough time. In fact in few days I have to start a prettly important thing and I want to release this campaign before starting that thing (obviously if there are insormontable balance problems and other big bugs I will update the released campaign as soon as I can)

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 12-13-2006 @ 08:39 AM).]

posted 12-14-06 05:26 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
Submitted

(plz report every bug/problem so I can make a better version)

regards

posted 12-16-06 05:30 AM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
I can't wait to play this

posted 12-16-06 10:35 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
I will download it and I'm really anticipating playing it

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 12-16-2006 @ 04:59 PM).]

posted 12-17-06 09:27 AM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
I've just finished playtesting the camapign and unfortunately I have a lot of things to fix. Among them there are in particulr 2 critic bugs:
-in the second map when the persian chariot is destroyed (few seconds later) your chariot sometimes remains stuck and you can't go on. If this happens you have to reload the map or a save game before that mission to continue the scenario.
- the 4th and last map is reallly too easy because the hero should be 5 level and not 10.

Anyway I'm gonna make a new version soon

edit: a 1.1 version is now ready in the download section

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 12-18-2006 @ 12:32 PM).]

posted 12-30-06 06:08 AM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
I've just found enough time to test again the entire campaign and in the 1.1 version I've just found some minor flaws like a unit name effect that doesn't work (in the last cinematic of thir map Arnat is Nabucodonsor) and some grammar mistakes. But I'm not going to make another version rightaway just because of them unless someone show me some bigger bugs to fix .

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 12-30-2006 @ 06:11 AM).]

Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design) » campaign announcement: The Dragon Cult
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames