Multiplayer and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to Stop a Rush!
posted 05-18-06 12:56 PM EDT (US)   
*suggest sticky*

The rush is a very tricky thing. It can be easily countered if you know it's coming. Here are some signs and what to do when you see them.

How to Spot a Rush

• Send your scout directly to your enemy city the FIRST thing you do (maybe after you start caravan/city district building).
  • If he's vinci and he's got 2 industrial districts he WILL be rushing with sniper/spider at about 3 minutes.
  • If he's any other race and he has a military district in his first 2 districts he will most likely be rushing, prepare to counter it.
  • If he's cuotl and he has a holy district in his first 2 districts he might be rushing using the holy arc to heal his units/avoid attrition
  • If he has a merchant district as his first district there's a good chance he won't be rushing until at least 5 minutes (preparing a 150 rush posibly). He might raid before that, but he won't rush full out until he fills up that 150 econ.
  • If he's got 2 merchant districts, he's almost certainly not rushing (unless he's an idiot).

What to do about a rush

• Now, you SHOULD be able to scout your opponent BEFORE you start building your 2nd district. If you send your scout to them right away you can see both their first district and what their 2nd district is building right about the same time your first district finishes.
  • With this in mind, if you feel you MIGHT be rushed, consider building a military district as your 2nd district. Not only will this provide free units, it will make your city almost imposible to capture with teir 1 units in a rush situation. It boosts the attack of the city from 1 to 7 and increase hitpoints by 500+ i think.
  • If you wait to build a military district until your 3rd, he might be able to attack you before it finishes. If that happens and he knows what he's doing, that military district will never be completed. So it's a trade off between building a military before merch/whatever and having that extra protection. But if you think he could be rushing DEFINATELY build a military as 3rd district as insurance.
  • If he is Alin and you see a military and magus district as the first 2 then he probably has a circle somewhere just outside your territory. The most likely place is your first likey capturable city, he will plan to attack your units as you get this city. As soon as you realize he has magus+military scout all around your boarders and find this circle. Circles fall like paper so it will be very easy to destroy before he gets enough units to finish the rush.
  • BUILD A HERO! I can't stress this enough. If your opp is rushing a HERO really ruins his day. You definately want a walking hero so you can trample his masses of infantry (as that is almost always the only thing a rusher has except for vinci clockwork rush).
  • BUILD A BARRACKS! Build a barracks in an out of the way place (behind city is a good place) if you think they will be rushing. This is important because you want your barracks protected at all costs to keep units pumping into the battle.
  • If he attacks your mines just have your miners run toward your city and hit his units with focus fire. Your miners can usually last a good bit and taking down his units (while they do nothing to yours) is much mroe important than the 30 seconds of lost timonium income. As soon as you've pretty much crushed his army just send the miners back in and continue to expand.
  • Use your city! As mentioned before, the city has a lot of attack (reletive to teir 1) when you get your military district up. Always pull the fight back to your city so he's taking extra damage!
  • Continuously build units and keep them coming into the fight!
  • Scout, Scout, and Scout! Just keep your scout moving around likely attack routes and find his army before he attacks, it's very helpful!

What Units to Build
    Vinci - Clockwork men and Muskteers. Spend all your wealth (after you've queued up a hero) on CWM and build muskets with all timonium during the battle. Also if you have a military district already put in a industrial next and pick the next unit (sniper or spider) to help hold off the rush.

Alin - Most make the mistake of building a sand circle first to counter the rush. You want a fire circle becaue you want SALAMANDERS! These are your anti-rush units. Not only do they do splash damage so they can hold off infantry very well, they do a peircing attcak (90% damage vs. medium, 80% vs. large) which is still pretty effective against medium and large units (clockwork units and heros!). Your basic desert walkers get destroyed by CWM because they have a skilled attack (75% damage to CWM, only 50% damage to heros).

Also, the alin get lots of free desert walkers, so for the first part of the rush you should have plenty. If you build a military district and researched evocation you DEFINATELY have plenty. Build a sand circle after you get fire and queue up a salamander.

Cuotl - Again, the higher teir unit is better. Your opponent will almost always be coming with lots of cheap infantry, so getting some early jaguars is really great to stop this. Regular sentinals are good too, and since they sort of cost oposites, build both, but prioritize jagauars if you can (lots of reactor districts!

With these steps in mind you should be able to crush any rush unless their micro is much better than yours (in which case, you probably shouldn't be playing them, lets hope more people come in so the system is better for newbies!).

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
  • Replies:
    posted 05-18-06 06:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
    What is the size (number of various units) and timing (how many minutes in) of a typical rush in the three races?
    posted 05-18-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
    Well there's 3 major types of rushes. One is the full blown "i'm going to knock you out of the game right now" rush and the other is a "raid your economy and leave you heartless" rush. The last is known as "creepstealing" by some people, where you rush them as they attack their closest neutral city.

The full blown rush typically arrives very early, 2:30 or 3:00 at the latest. The goal is to hit you before you get a military district up. If they do this then you will most likely lose, as without a military district they can take your city rather easily. So to stop this rush, just build a military if you scout it coming.

The 2nd rush is more difficult because sometimes you won't be able to use your city to help fight them off, but if you get attacked at one mine, move your miners to another Timonium patch and fight your enemies. You should have the advantage because you built a merchant district first (right?) and will have a much closer barracks to keep pumping troops in (whil his walk all the way across the map). As a result you should win the battle as long as you move your miners quick to keep them from dying!

The 3rd is the most tricky to avoid, but there's another thread on this in this same section. Just be sure to scout your enemies army before you attack your own neutral. If you see him hovering and waiting, it might be a good idea to look and see if his scout is hanging around watching you. Don't attack the neutral unless you know his army is doing something else (attacking his own neutral) or you have military superiority (I.E. he is booming).

posted 05-18-06 08:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
    Solid advice. One quibble: piercing has nothing to do with unit size, it's 100% vs Light Armor, 90% vs Medium Armor, and 80% vs heavy armor. Accuracy is 100% vs light armor, 75% vs medium, and 50% vs large. DW are Accuracy AND skilled, so they do 9/16(56.25%) damage against CWM, which explains some of the vulnerability of Alin to the CWM Rush.
    posted 05-18-06 09:31 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
    Forgive me for being a noob, but could you guys tell me where I can see a unit's armor/damage type info?
    posted 05-18-06 09:37 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
    Put your cursor over any of the unit icons and hold down "alt" to display unit size, armor type, attack, attack type, attack range, maximum HP, and a couple of other things. Rather nice information.
    posted 05-18-06 10:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
    Thanks man. I gotta check it out later when I get home from work.
    posted 05-19-06 04:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
    Very nice read

posted 05-21-06 10:18 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
    Just as advice for dancingflame you can enable it so that you dont need to hold alt to see all the units information just search for the option in the first options window, rather usefull for begginers such as myself
    posted 05-21-06 07:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
    Sorry, i always mess up armor/size. Most of the time large have heavy armor, medium has medium etc.

posted 05-25-06 10:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
    how about the pirata rush? Lenora uses super boosters and good bye villies...

[SL_Unome]|---|---|---|---|----------------
    [ Proud Leader of Phoenix Studios | AOM | AOE3 | ROL ]
    "To be good requires to follow the rubric, to be the best is to give yourself no limitations"
    posted 05-26-06 04:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
    On Battle for the Core make sure an opponent doesn't fake noobyness and head for the core, only to be at peace and to charge through to attack.

A Bit off-topic but anyway...
    Also, a bit later on, if you want the core as a base/defence/moon monkey(gorilla)/combination use infantry as cannon fodder (but keep yourself defended). Keep the enemy from approaching, as I've seen enemies nicking the core at the last minute a lot on Multi.

posted 01-06-07 00:35 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
    I've played several different RTS games.

Age of Empires 1 and 2
    Civilization (all of them)
    Blitzkrieg
    Alpha Centauri
    Dawn of War
    and many others

I have NEVER encountered a game like this.
    You get maybe three or four territories that are such pushovers that it is actually BORING.

Then, you get a territory that seems more challenging.
    You are attacked once or twice, beat it back.
    Suddenly, you are FLOODED with an insane number of units.

Half of the units are things you are not even capable of building....supertanks, Doge Walkers, spiders.....

Does the game actually CHEAT and give unequal resources out?

Does the game actually cheat, and give the AI unrealistic abilities?

FLOOD FLOOD FLOOD

I feel like I have been sucker-punched in the balls about thirty times.

Hey, A***hole designers!

FRUSTRATION does not equal Fun!

[This message has been edited by angrymanangry (edited 01-06-2007 @ 00:36 AM).]

posted 06-19-07 04:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
    as a boom player i don't actually attack until i got at least 2 heavy/super/advanced juggernauts. At that time you should get a land levithian to burrow up behind other people. devastator their biggest unit and just destroy the rest.

but it is annoy how the hard computers seem to have sooo much more stuff than you. They obviously have a handy-cap of a sort, but that's why they are hardest.
    posted 06-19-07 05:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
    Welcome to the forums!
    but it is annoy how the hard computers seem to have sooo much more stuff than you. They obviously have a handy-cap of a sort, but that's why they are hardest.
    If you only attack when you've got an uber heavy army, It might be that it is very well possible for him to have a huge army. There are too many variables in such a long time to claim it impossible.
    posted 06-23-07 06:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
    Edited

[This message has been edited by Taufiq (edited 09-19-2007 @ 08:36 AM).]

posted 06-24-07 04:58 AM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
    Hacks as in cheats or hacks as in "I'm too lazy to buy this game"?
    posted 09-15-07 01:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
    wow that was really usefull. thanks. now i can finally deal with their enexpected attack first build economy later scheme.
    Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Multiplayer and Strategy Discussion » How to Stop a Rush!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames