You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: So How does this combat system work?
posted 04-03-06 12:59 PM EDT (US)   
As far as i can tell there are 4 types of attacks and each is weak against some type. To see these stats, hold "alt" while hoving the mouse over the units portait, or alternatively increase help text slider in game options. Here's as many as i can find:

Detramental Modifiers
Peircing Attack - Weak vs. heavy armor
Accuracy Attack - Very weak vs. heavy armor

Pounding Attack - Weak vs. small units
Skilled Attack - Weak vs. Large Units

Some units have two of these modifiers such as the clockwork men (peircing and skilled). The problem is that almost all large units also have heavy armor, so i guess it's just a double penalty?

Intresting but not quite intuative system. RoN's "LI>Arch>HI>LI etc." was signifigantly easier to figure out IMHO. The classes of units are sort of hard to define in RoL, since some larger sized units have medium armor and some medium sized units have heavy armor.

All modifyers do slightly reduced damage to medium stats (see below for details)

On top of the modifier system lies the damage system itself. Each unit has a ground/air/seige attack statistic. If it doesn't have one of these statistics than it can't attack that type (I.E. clockwork men have no air attack, because they can't shoot anything!).

Alternatively, each ground attack can also be classified as "splash" damage or not. Lastly, trample damage is noted as to how much damage it does to units when it runs over them. This seems to either be a relative value or it does that much damage per second as long as it's in contact. I've seen a large unit with high trample (juggernaught) wipe out almost an entire vinci soldier unit with one roll through. Seeing as juggernaught trample value is a little less than half the vinci unit's hp, i concluded that the trample attack hit twice on it's way through.

Anybody spot anything else intresting?

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!

[This message has been edited by Bridger (edited 05-16-2006 @ 12:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-03-06 01:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
If you want numbers, you can find them in the files.

Detramental Modifiers
Piercing Attack - 100% light / 90% medium / 80% heavy
Accuracy Attack - 100% light / 75% medium / 50% heavy

Pounding Attack - 50% small / 75% medium / 100% large
Skilled Attack - 100% small / 75% medium / 50% large

posted 04-03-06 01:23 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
so a clockwork man vs. a large heavily armed unit would get 25% attack? (2 50% modifiers).

posted 04-03-06 01:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
It certainly feels that way doesn't it?

Clockwork Men are definately infantry smashers, not Land Leviathon smashers. Now a pound of Fire Elementals.. mmm.... large unit go boom boom.

Scorpions are a bit wierder, Piercing/Pounding, hehe... it all gets a little nuts.

I interpret the modifers in different ways. You can have three "armor attack modes". Ignore Armor (None), Affected by Armor (Piercing), Heavily Affected by Armor (Accuracy). So as an armored unit, you don't want to get hit by those that don't have a Piercing or Accuracy attack, and you want to focus fire on them with those that don't have them either. The Large and Small modifiers are different on that scale too. Maximum effectiveness vs. large (pounding), small (skilled), or all of them (none) is pretty much all that is. Medium size gets a small bonus in the terms that any size modifier brings the damage down to 75%. Medium is everything between infantry and juggernauts from memory, so they have quite a leeway there.

It's definately not your typical system, but once you get her head around it and realize that the damage you see on the unit is the highest potential damage, you can start comparing to others with the modifiers attached.

posted 04-03-06 02:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
Thats cool... ill keep that in mind during battles now more.....
posted 04-03-06 03:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
Are there any units that do not have the detrimental modifiers? Or any attack has to have at least one?
posted 04-03-06 04:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
At the very least, I think most heros dont' have any modifiers. The Epic Units might not either. You know what, I think I'm just going to write down what everything is.

The problem is, I can't show it to you, becuase a few things have changed from demo to beta, hehe.

posted 04-03-06 05:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
*shivers*

i smell stats...

some people will end up putting a lot of time into finding out the exact numerical values of attacks, abilities, cooldowns, attritons, tramples etc...

not me tho, i'd rather play the game and get a feel for it

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
posted 04-03-06 06:07 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
When I meant write down, I was only going to write down the attack modifiers .

It'd be easier to reference it like a "counter chart" that way.

posted 04-03-06 07:12 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
Hey, if you start writing down the stats, you have to finish writing all the stats

[This message has been edited by MxM (edited 04-03-2006 @ 07:13 PM).]

posted 04-03-06 07:36 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
see? thats how it always starts...

day 1 : "la dee dah... oh! look! stats.... maybe i'll copy some of these basic rules of the game, who knows, maybe they'll come in handy"

day 2: "hmm... so the vinci clockwork men can do 18 damage per minute to some desert walkers... but on the other hand, an ultra juggernaut could trample all of them for just... i think i need some paper..."

day 3: "so if by the square root of 24 means the ultra juggernaut can roll over desert walkers with minimum damage, take enemy fire to cover my troops and fire with a rotating 22" quad-barrel annihilator cannon... then that would mean that it's cost is justified... is it...? i think i need my calculator"

day 4: "Argh! that damned glass dragon with its random flying and swooping and biting and flying and blasting and harrassing and flying... i could use the steam-cannons to hit it, but they will probebly just miss... wait i know, if this games all up to what its for i'll just work out the velocity of the shell, ground angle, dragon-height and wind-speed and direction and get a direct hit every time! oh wait... where'd my scientific calculator go...?"

day 12: "heheheheheh.... heheheheheh... that comp didn't know what hit him did he george? oh no he... whats that george? oh i know, getting that prototype pentium 6 chip inserted into my brain was a bit... different... but it was all for the better! i mean look! now i can overclock my brain to such extents that i have 6 senses! oh right i forgot, 7 senses, because now i can talk to water-melons like you george!"

day 46: "omgomgogmogmmgogmg RoL is changing too fast! all these surprise tactics, hidden manures ( oh sorry, manuvres) and those damned cuotl...... but don't worry george junior, i won't hurt you, i got too agitated before and ripped off your father's head and sucked out his guts -spitting the hard bits out of course."

day 182: "earlier reports say that a person - unidentifiable due to have a large watermelon covering this head - was seen running across various streets, chanting obscenities and various random numerical figures, we are here to interview Dr Smith on how all this happend - Dr Smith, what is up with "the walking melon""

"well, we believe they have fried their brain witht too many numbers, we found a pentium 6 chip lodged inside their brain which had overheated, causing the numerical and logical part of their brain to collide with the emotional part, creating the monstrosity seen earlier today"

don't do it guys! it will come to paaaaassss!!!!!

(fade out in smoke)
*cough!*

posted 04-03-06 08:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
lol!

I'm pretty sure I can stop at a rough counter chart. What I usually would do if I put in extra work is put notes as to what specific units this is good agaisnt, I usually leave numbers completely out of it other then "few" and "many". This actually lets me look at it more outside the box, so I can invent new strategies. Right now my Fire Elementals/Adult Salamanders is nice and synergistic.

Eh, screw it, I'm already walking down the dark path by thinking like that... I'd better get a watermelon.

RoL Online: Ayestes
Mastersleague.com: Ayestes

[This message has been edited by Astronomical (edited 04-03-2006 @ 08:09 PM).]

posted 04-03-06 08:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
Storm legion guess wat time it is man? FORUM LURKING TIME
posted 04-03-06 08:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
*checks watch*

better get the coffe ready

posted 04-03-06 09:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
haha
posted 04-17-06 04:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Will we get a pdf version of the manual do you think?

I mean I'd obviously prefer a had copy, but the pdfs are useful sometimes, like on flights...and yes I read that kind of stuff on planes.

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
posted 05-16-06 12:44 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
This shuold probably be stickied, a lot of people are confused about the coutner system.

posted 05-25-06 06:08 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
I don't get it myself :P. Heartseekers have a pierce attack (I think), yet they do good against heroes :P.

GRUNT'S UBER COMICS OF DOOM! READ!
http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=91&st=recent&f=4,91,0,10]z00t[/url]
RoL Online Nick:
ESO name:[/b][url=http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/EntityStats.aspx?loc=en-US&EntityName=z00t&md=ZS_Supremacy]z00t
posted 05-25-06 07:41 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
That's because it's piercing/sizeless, meaning only 80% reduction - one of the better reductions in the game. If they were piercing/accurcay, it'd be 40% damage, not nearly as sexy.
posted 05-25-06 09:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
zomg! i told you all! ye were warned foule demone!

Quote:

see? thats how it always starts...
day 1 : "la dee dah... oh! look! stats.... maybe i'll copy some of these basic rules of the game, who knows, maybe they'll come in handy"

day 2: "hmm... so the vinci clockwork men can do 18 damage per minute to some desert walkers... but on the other hand, an ultra juggernaut could trample all of them for just... i think i need some paper..."

day 3: "so if by the square root of 24 means the ultra juggernaut can roll over desert walkers with minimum damage, take enemy fire to cover my troops and fire with a rotating 22" quad-barrel annihilator cannon... then that would mean that it's cost is justified... is it...? i think i need my calculator"

day 4: "Argh! that damned glass dragon with its random flying and swooping and biting and flying and blasting and harrassing and flying... i could use the steam-cannons to hit it, but they will probebly just miss... wait i know, if this games all up to what its for i'll just work out the velocity of the shell, ground angle, dragon-height and wind-speed and direction and get a direct hit every time! oh wait... where'd my scientific calculator go...?"

day 12: "heheheheheh.... heheheheheh... that comp didn't know what hit him did he george? oh no he... whats that george? oh i know, getting that prototype pentium 6 chip inserted into my brain was a bit... different... but it was all for the better! i mean look! now i can overclock my brain to such extents that i have 6 senses! oh right i forgot, 7 senses, because now i can talk to water-melons like you george!"

day 46: "omgomgogmogmmgogmg RoL is changing too fast! all these surprise tactics, hidden manures ( oh sorry, manuvres) and those damned cuotl...... but don't worry george junior, i won't hurt you, i got too agitated before and ripped off your father's head and sucked out his guts -spitting the hard bits out of course."

day 182: "earlier reports say that a person - unidentifiable due to have a large watermelon covering this head - was seen running across various streets, chanting obscenities and various random numerical figures, we are here to interview Dr Smith on how all this happend - Dr Smith, what is up with "the walking melon""

"well, we believe they have fried their brain witht too many numbers, we found a pentium 6 chip lodged inside their brain which had overheated, causing the numerical and logical part of their brain to collide with the emotional part, creating the monstrosity seen earlier today"

don't do it guys! it will come to paaaaassss!!!!!

(fade out in smoke)
*cough!*

the thread is pretty old

posted 05-25-06 11:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
As for trample seeming to do more damage than listed, I believe it actually applies that damage to each individual unit per infantry group. I'm not sure if that's the exact amount that it will do to a group, say 54 damage for a full trample of all nine units in the group, but it seems to be somehow related to how many units in that group you trample. Keep an eye on the unit's health as you trample next game, I like to use Alt, and you'll see what I mean. As each unit gets knocked down, the health seems to bump down with it...

Or maybe I just haven't been watching closely enough

Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » So How does this combat system work?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames