General Discussion
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: More Hotkeys please.
posted 05-28-06 06:37 AM EDT (US)   
Patrol and Infinite Queue.

The Patrol implementation is ridiculous. If I want my scout to patrol, I have to quickly click it before it runs away. This is hard when the thing is zooming all over the place. It would be just better if I could hit a key to make it patrol.

Infinite Queues please. Requiring resources to queue up units is ridiculous.
What's the point exactly? Is this some kind of machismo showoff? It reduces the effectiveness of queues to zero. If you're going to make us individiually hit the buttons and time everything perfectly, What was the point of making queues? So other people can suck more? This doesn't make queues so much a feature as it does a liability. If you're going to make it suck to use queues, you might as well have gotten rid of them.

Replies:
posted 05-28-06 06:43 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12  

Quote:

It reduces the effectiveness of queues to zero.

whispers to Tarl: that's the point.

posted 05-28-06 07:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  

Quote:

What was the point of making queues? So other people can suck more? This doesn't make queues so much a feature as it does a liability. If you're going to make it suck to use queues, you might as well have gotten rid of them.

The community was split for AutoQueue. One group wanted it to simplify the game, while the other group thought that it would take away skill from the game. So BHG decided to compromise and allow AutoQueue for a penalty.

★★★★★
posted 05-28-06 11:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
quite frankly it's the only method of autoqueue that works.

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

posted 05-28-06 12:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  

Quote:

quite frankly it's the only method of autoqueue that works.

Literally? No. You charge the cost upon the moment production begins, rather than before. Personally, I don't mind either way.

I definitely agree about the patrol implementation, though. The current method sounded good on paper, but in practice, it's kind of lame. The *logical* thing to do, would be to finish the patrol loop by clicking on the portrait of the unit, rather than on the actual unit itself. Alas that does nothing. At least not in the first version. I wonder if they secretly put that in the recent patches...

posted 05-28-06 03:46 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
'take away skill from the game'?

Since when has not using a feature of the game been considered a skill?

So..why are queues in the game then? And why the heck wouldn't auto-queue work as it was implemented originally in the demo and RON?

posted 05-30-06 01:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
The queue, like all things in Rise of Legends, is a tradeoff. You are putting down money for units in the queue for the convenience of being able to focus your attention elsewhere. A skilled player is able to split his focus and gain a slight, deserved, advantage.
posted 05-31-06 02:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
That's a complete copout.
Queues were designed for complete automation, like they've been used in the real world since 1956. The only reason they'd be eliminated is because some people from WC3 or AOE whined it made the game too different.
posted 05-31-06 02:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
It doesn't make game different but it reduces the macro requirement in game.
posted 05-31-06 07:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
How does the game benefit from reducing the macro requirement exactly?..

At worst it's a convienence for certain players. At best it will allow people to focus more on moving units around instead of queueing them up. It's long been recognized that repetitive tasks like queueing things up and tallying them off are best handled by computers, what possible connotation of 'fun' is really being derived from here?

posted 05-31-06 07:28 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  

Oddly enough, with the way resources are managed in this game, I never find queue's all that useful.

The game is too fluid. You have to be able react to things on the fly. I've had two units queued and *cancelled* the second one because I needed the resources for something else. Things can really go down to the wire when your trying to keep everything going.

Give the hot keys a chance. They'll make a big difference.

posted 06-01-06 02:28 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
I agree that infinate queue would be useless, even if implemented in your method. It's much more viable to simply use your building hotkey, and hotkey the units you want, then have the building rallied to the battle and/or control group. This is the method i use for building units during battle and it's very fluid.

I mean, if you had your barracks constantly pumping out 2 scorps, then a heartseeker, then a DW, ad infinium, you'd never save resources to build anything else. Why would you want an infinate queue except maybe in a deathmatch map?

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
posted 06-01-06 04:59 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Exactly -- apart from very few applications where I'm already winning anyways, why should I queue at all?

It's no use in a game where I have to constantly adapt&change&trick my enemy, anyways. What would the queue you propose help there? Nothing, I'd still be producing everything via hotkeys, "easily" done while micro'ing a fight...

K.Rool,
Master of unnecessary knowledge...
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » More Hotkeys please.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames