Please login or register

General Discussion
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Either a huge bug or a huge cheat
posted 07-20-06 03:12 AM EDT (US)   
ok just had this wacky game where i kept losing sun idols, sanctuaries and even a COV. all due to absolutely NO enemy fire or even presence. I have a replay i would like to share, but it cuts out at 14:03 even tho the game went on for awhile after that (and unfortunately thats when all my units were lost). My partner and I were convinced the other guy was cheating, even more believable since his partner disconnected, and after conceding the game he went on to roll us both over. I lost a czin, 2 sanctuaries a sun idol or two, and a COV right as i was loading one of those sun idols. i was calling attention to a vanished sanctuary to my partner, and we both witnessed the sun idol which had just been created there die right before our eyes with no one around him at all. We both thought it was the other guy cheating but now i'm not so sure. Perhaps its just some evil bug, but it's very fishy that soon after the replay ended i started losing stuff with no explanation.

I'd like to send this replay along to at least BHG bc something is seriously wrong with it, whether by human intent *cheating* or bug but i'm not sure how to send that along. the replay doesn't show much, it stops way too early before anything fishy happens (the cheaters defense?), it stops right at 14:03 right before crashing to desktop. i stopped it a split second before the crash and looked at each sides activity and couldn't find anything that was in process that might've triggered it. Either the bug was triggered by a new construction, or it's something else...i dunno i have fricking idea what i'm talking about. but something is seriously wrong here.

map was storm marshes 2v2, alleged cheater is a player called Tremble but again it could be bugs. any suggestions where to send this replay for analysis? i'd provide system info for me here but it seems pointless without the other player's info as well. will provide on request, but i'd like to get this replay on to someone who can use it first.

SpankLuvr 'if it aint one thing with this game it's another' OUT

Replies:
posted 07-20-06 03:31 AM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
I think drugs were involved here.
posted 07-20-06 08:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
Hmmmm.

Mind uploading the replay for us to have a look at?

posted 07-20-06 08:27 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
can some of a file be corrupted? without corupting the rest

did u accidently press the backspacekey

[This message has been edited by Electrical storm (edited 07-20-2006 @ 08:28 AM).]

posted 07-20-06 09:53 AM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Sounds like a bug to me.

I mean I have never heard about a cheat that lets you assassinate enemy units and destroy buildings just like that. It's possible though. This is just my opinion I'm not sure there is no such cheat but it does sound weird.

Besides I don't think cheats can be used online. I used to play RoN and I know cheats were not allowed. By not allowed I mean cheats really didn't work, not just a rule.

I don't think BHG would change that for RoL.

And about hitting backspace acidentally...unlikely...I mean he would have to do it lots of times to kill a bunch of sun idols, sanctuaries and a CoV. Besides he says his sanctuaries just vanished. If he hits backspace in a building a message pops up to ask if you are sure you want to do it and even after that it takes time for it to be razed to the ground.

posted 07-20-06 10:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
whats with all these errors in this game?

ron's online access and everything was fine but this game has errors like crazy even when its running on top of the line systems.

I think BHG and gamespy (especially gamespy) need to get there shit together already. RON was great so I know that they can do it.

posted 07-20-06 10:11 AM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Broken Backspace key maybe?
Maybe it's permanantly down. Maybe the screen bout do you want to destroy this building is off.
posted 07-20-06 10:13 AM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
Evolved...if so he would have lost units since the beginning of the game and he would have lost much more than a few sun idols a CoV and sanctuaries. He would have lost everything he selected.
posted 07-20-06 10:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
maybe ur sunidol piot got food posining and crashed the idol into the santuary killing them bolts and then the city of vengence tripped over a rock
posted 07-20-06 11:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Maybe it died of attrition, lol
posted 07-20-06 01:36 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
According to my brother (atvar) there is indeed such a bug in the game. He told me that during a game he had with FaiTH the other day one of the observers somehow took control of FaiTH's stuff and deleted everything he owned. I could try to get the video from my brother, but it may be corrupt because he and FaiTH agreed to try to disconnect and each take a drop in order to try to come to some fair resolution.

I have stood upon the twilight edge of life for so long that the line between the living world and oblivion blurs before my eyes. It pains me to watch the earth's beauty forever age and wither while only I remain to mourn its passing.
posted 07-20-06 02:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
Its the obsevers I've been hacked twice... Once by someone who said he was a BHG employee another who didn't talk... THe easiest solution is to boot the observers.

[SL_Unome]|---|---|---|---|----------------
[ Proud Leader of Phoenix Studios | AOM | AOE3 | ROL ]
"To be good requires to follow the rubric, to be the best is to give yourself no limitations"

[This message has been edited by Unome (edited 07-20-2006 @ 02:04 PM).]

posted 07-20-06 02:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
Why does atvar think it was the observer? That's impossible.

You shouldn't boot observers. They want to learn from the game. It's why observing is an option!

[This message has been edited by MForcE (edited 07-20-2006 @ 02:05 PM).]

posted 07-20-06 02:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
There is an observer bug that will be fixed. It does allow for players to take control of player units and such. It will be fixed soon.

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

posted 07-20-06 02:20 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
BHG posted on the in-game news about it. it is, in fact, an observer bug. They said something along the lines of "we're working on it, but don't let people you don't trust observe until then."
posted 07-20-06 03:29 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
Well there could be some meat to the observer thing, there was an observer in the game still i think, i'm gonna watch the replay again to see if he was still in there - but again the replay crashes too early and before anything starts disappearing. makes even more sense considering the fact that our opponent's teammate dc'd out of the game early on and his side went to the AI, perhaps this observer felt it right to inflict a little rawlsian justice and take out various units of mine.

good to know about the backspace thing, i was starting to worry that i coulda done that (especially since drugs WERE involved as one sharp poster pointed out hehe - if you count a large amount of alcohol as a drug) but with the buildings as was pointed out i would've had to confirm it and i didn't. The one thing I (and my partner who was looking at the same time and saw it with me) did actually see die on screen was 1 of the sun idols, and i didn't even have him selected so i couldn't have backspace/killed him.

what a crock, this observer bug thing

*****Edit
i've uploaded the replay in question so whenever it clears you can take a look at it (filename 'Possible Observer Bug'). just a warning tho it cuts out at 14:03 (possibly due to one of the other players crashing early out of the game, right around that time i'd estimate). At that point the replay and the game crashes to desktop. none of my problems started happening until later.

[This message has been edited by BricksTaylor (edited 07-20-2006 @ 04:19 PM).]

posted 07-20-06 04:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
The replay is now in the downloads section.
I'll check it out in a bit.

posted 07-20-06 04:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
Bricks, who was the observer?
I'm actually curious, I thought I knew who it was too.
posted 07-20-06 05:43 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
Mforce his name was Looser. if you see him give him a smack upside the head for me, preferably with your hand that has the super bowl ring on it.
posted 07-20-06 07:02 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
I just watched the replay.

The red player is Vinci and is definitively rushing for the Doom Canon.

Are you sure your opponent didn't make the Doomcanon and started targetting your units and you just never noticed when the bombs exploded?

posted 07-20-06 09:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
hmmm

I doubt you'd not notice.

posted 07-20-06 09:46 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
MForcE: I don't think the little jerks who ruined my brother's game made any secret of the fact that they were involved. He said they were spamming 'LOL' or something equally telling as FaiTH's units all committed mass suicide.

It seems that BHG knows about this issue now though. Until a fix comes out I doubt there will be much observing going on :-/. Still, at least we're all wise to the exploit now . . .

I have stood upon the twilight edge of life for so long that the line between the living world and oblivion blurs before my eyes. It pains me to watch the earth's beauty forever age and wither while only I remain to mourn its passing.
posted 07-20-06 10:03 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
We all deserve this laugh. In that game, everyone was talking about which hero they liked best, Doge or Giacomo, then Doge suddenly died.
posted 07-20-06 10:16 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
I can't figure out why BHG didn't include something in the options which allows or disallows observers. Every other game has this. Either you can close the slots or just indicate "observers allowed." In fact, it's pissed me off recently when I'm trying to play a friendly game with friends on voice and we can't boot the morons. As far as I know, the obs might even intruduce unwanted lag.

Actually, I just noticed Greypawn mentioning not to allow unknown obs until this is fixed? How do you do this? I've not been able to find it in options.

[This message has been edited by Timeless_OmO (edited 07-20-2006 @ 10:17 PM).]

posted 07-20-06 10:27 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
Kick them.
posted 07-20-06 10:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
mmm....kicking is fun

hey i'm really curious if anyone out there has gotten this replay to play further than 14 minutes, perhaps it plays on another machine?

oh, and the doom cannon thing, that wasn't it either - and it would indeed be pretty tough not to notice that! red crashed out of the game early on and the AI took over so he never got close to that. seems pretty clear its just a bug and it will be addressed. Gladly i saw the guy we were playing against today and got to apologize to him, since i was really laying into him for cheating despite his protestations to the contrary lol...

posted 07-21-06 00:38 AM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
ya just right click and kick the observers for now... thats what I did today and didn't encounter the problem again

[SL_Unome]|---|---|---|---|----------------
[ Proud Leader of Phoenix Studios | AOM | AOE3 | ROL ]
"To be good requires to follow the rubric, to be the best is to give yourself no limitations"
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » Either a huge bug or a huge cheat
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames