Please login or register

Game Modifications
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: User Patch Project
posted 01-28-17 05:30 PM EDT (US)   
*EDIT 2022: If you are finding this thread many years later, that is ok.
We still need more programmers and modders to get this project going and get input from the players on what they would like to see changed.
It is a long-term project that will take some time to accomplish.
Most ROL discussion including this patch are on the ROL Discord.
Please also post below or email me if you can help.
If you are unable to help, you can share a link to this forum topic anywhere relevant on the internet.*

While there is no official news yet if Rise of Legends will or will not get a Steam Extended Edition, the game needs some patch work done.

If there will be no Steam EE, which some people say is possible, then the next best way to update the game is for programmers and modders to work on a user patch project, similar to what was done for AOE1, AOE2 and RON.

Please read about those two user patches to get an idea about this type of project, which may be a long-term project that requires a lot of community feedback and testing.
It's possible if players of the game work on a user patch project then Steam may release the game in the future, which is what happened with the AOE2 player-made The Forgotten expansion, later re-released on Steam and led to the official AOE2 HD Steam re-release.

This type of project is ideal for serious players and modders of the game, whether you are a beginner programmer and are looking to learn debugging and programming via such a project, or experienced programmers and modders looking for a challenge or some routine work to keep your mind active.

We have several free copies of the DVD version of the game specially available to be mailed to any interested programmers and modders who are serious about working on the game but don't have a copy yet. Contact alincarpetman via posting below or email in my profile if you are interested.

Here are the people who have worked on ROL projects so far:
Ryder - creator of ROL BIG Archiver
Motter - creator of 3 mods, bug fixer
Modder00 - bug fixer
Alincarpetman - tester, game info and news organizer
More names will be added as the news is spread.

I (alincarpetman) will be testing any work (such as Modder00's recent crash fix patch) and posting updates in this thread as new work is completed.

Current Patch Work, Mod Work and Game Info

Official Patch History Notes/Change Log

List of Files and Programs for Modding

Motter's notes while modding the game

Bug List - List of bugs & fixes in Motter's 3 Mods

Modder00's "Game crash after 1 1/2 hour" fix - fixes a bug modder00 found where games crash after 1 1/2 hour of playing, the patch extends the gameplay up to 12 hours or even more

Greypawn's notes on modding tools for the game

Alincarpetman's list of game problems and possible feature requests

User Patch Main List of Problems and Feature Requests

Bug Fixes/Glitches/Hardcoding
- Bug fixes (see the game code itself, Motter's and Alincarpetman's lists ^above^)
- Official Patch change problems (see player notes here on non-working patch features)
- Sound/music overlap glitch (during the campaign sometimes game music keeps playing while cutscenes with voiceovers start and both play together)
- Modder00's "Game crash after 1 1/2 hour" fix (see link ^above^)
- "Un-hardcode" as many hardcoded limits as possible (see other rts games patches: AoE3 Unhardcode Patch)

Scenario Editor Fixes
- Scenario editor bug fixes (see the list here)
- Scenario editor "stay open/no auto-closing" option (after done testing a map, have the editor load back to the map instead of auto-closing the test game and having the user reload the editor all over again)
- Enable water terrain (there are water textures, but is there a water feature?)
- Enable all biome tilesets on one map (an attempt was made to use a xml/text editor and in-scenario options to copy and paste all biomes into one file but it didn't work)
- Wider plane size for maps (current largest size is 128 (maximum plane width) by 40,000 (maximum plane height), there's too much height)
- Add new features and/or utilities (see other rts game enhanced scenario editors as a reference: AOE Composite Editor, AOE2 Turtle Pack, AOE2 PHP SCX Editor, AOE2 Advanced Genie Editor, AOE3 SCP Editor Tools, AOM New X Editor, AOM Nottud's Ultimate Editor, more AOM utilities, etc)

Game Feature Requests
- Random map generator (was never included in the game, and RON's map gen isn't that great when compared to AOE2, AOM and other games)
- More game setup options (see RON's many options when setting up a quick battle game as a comparison)
- Mod manager/switcher (see other rts game mod managers as a reference: AOE1, AOE2 HD, AOM, Total Annihilation Kingdoms, CNC Generals, etc)

Visual Interface/Graphics
- Window mode (currently there is fullscreen game mode only)
- More zoom out/camera modes (zoom out is limited and view feels cramped at times)
- More resolution support (is this needed? info on resolutions can be found here)
- Rough edges need smoother graphics (the anti-aliasing option doesn't fix it all)
- Enable skybox/sky backgrounds but also keep the old single solid sky color native to each biome map (you can find sky graphics in the BIG files but these were never "activated" for in-game use)
- Enable water terrain (there are water textures, but is there a water feature?)

Gameplay Options/Fixes
- More player colors (currently limited to 8)
- More nation selection in menu (currently limited to 16)
- Population limit increase and/or population range options (currently limited to 300 max)
- Balance the Vinci/Alin/Cuotl ai (some players have commented on how they think nations are unbalanced)

Multiplayer/LAN/Online
- What are the issues with multiplayer?

This list is incomplete. If you can look through the game and find any bugs, problems, feature requests, info, etc please post below and this list will be updated.

If you are interested in this project, please email me alincarpetman(at)heavengames(dot)com or post below:

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 03-26-2022 @ 06:35 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-28-17 09:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
Good luck, I hope the project goes well!

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
posted 01-29-17 07:57 AM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
I hope all goes well and it leads somwhere.

Wish I could help but I have been programming only for 4 years and it has nothing to do with videogames so no usefulness there.
Good luck.
posted 01-31-17 11:28 AM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
Hi Alin, just wondering why so many of the posts are "archived" and no new replies? Some are only a few months old. Was trying to see if modder00 Is still around, tried to reply to some of his posts and it says "archived".

Also, can you remove my first two mods? They really are irrelevant now that I've put it all together in my final mod, especially since I did not go back and update them with all the bug fixes and various other hero powers etc.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 01-31-2017 @ 11:33 AM).]

posted 02-01-17 00:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
Motter - I'm looking into setting no time limit for all threads versus the current setting of 2 months.
If a moderator has a post at the bottom of the thread it will stay open.
If you find any threads you can't post in, you can post here with any thread re-activation requests.
Same goes for RON here.

About your mods,

1 Expansion - adds to the single player campaign mode and a few things in skirmish mode
2 CTW Heroes - adds heroes for skirmish mode and a few things for campaign mode
3 New Nations - adds new nations for skirmish mode, does not affect campaign mode
4 CTW Heroes & New Nations combined - this one combines mods 3 and 4, and doesn't include anything from the expansion, or, doesn't affect the campaign mode?

Since there were never any detailed change logs provided with the mods I had to find what details I could but I probably missed some things and I haven't tested and reviewed the recent combined mod yet.

Also I think some people like to try each mod separately if they only want to change just one part of the game such as only the campaign with the expansion, or have only the heroes and new nations in skirmish mode. If all 3 mods were combined (I thought it was just 2) then people who want to try some of the mod for skirmish and want to keep the original campaign won't be able to, it will be all mixed up.

Ideally a Mod Manager feature would help to quickly install/uninstall/switch between mods, this is a proposed feature for the User Patch and is already found for games such as AOE2, AOM, etc which you can read about above.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 02-01-2017 @ 03:57 PM).]

posted 02-03-17 04:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22  
Yes, the New Nations combines all 3. The Campaign is different, and all heroes are enabled with their respective Nation, but there are many Hero abilities I did not know how to do early on that are in the New Nations, like Battaglion's building speed bonus, Zeke arriving and leveling up with Distruzio, etc.

The Heroes are incomplete in the first 2 mods. But if people want to use them I guess more power to them, I just think it might confuse people and also they might be disappointed that the heroes don't work right.
posted 02-03-17 07:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22  
Motter - I see, it would help if we had those details in a change log for each mod.
As it is I was only able to find and review some of those things, so my reviews of the features are incomplete.

I know you're busy and said you might be done with modding, but if you ever get the time to make notes it would help.
Another player mentioned to me he will go through and find all the bugs, so I would say keep checking back on this site as we make slow progress to determine what you may be able to do if you're ever interested again.

Also check here, another former modder has checked in.
posted 02-03-17 09:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22  
Well, it's not just the modding itself, those mods I'm just not interested in at all, I consider them my "stepping stone" mods if you will, I really shouldn't have released them so soon, but then again, it took me several years to finally get around to making it all work and merging it all - I guess I just wasn't patient enough

Anyhow, I just don't see myself going back and doing anything on those other two, I honestly couldn't tell you anymore how much is different. They are unfinished tho in many ways I know that.
posted 02-03-17 09:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
I can add some notes into all the uploads about some parts being unfinished and to check out the combined mod because it's includes more.
It's possible another modder might go through and add the better parts into the older mods.
Would you still be interested in discussing projects and offering notes to future modders here on the forums?
posted 02-06-17 02:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22  
posted 02-06-17 05:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22  
Both ROL and RON subforums have their threads set either open indefinitely or open for 1 year for replies in which case you can post here to re-open a thread.

So if you have any replies you still wanted to make it should be possible now.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 02-06-2017 @ 05:19 PM).]

posted 07-08-17 08:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 22  
If you are still looking for help on the user patch let me know. I never worked on Rise of Legends, but I worked at Ensemble Studios on Age of Mythology and Age of Empires 3, and worked with the big huge team shortly for the age 3 asian dynasties xpack to ramp them up on the .net core we built for ESO.
posted 07-08-17 01:11 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
Hi chockenberry,

Yup the project is moving along slowly and we will always be open to new people joining to help with whatever they can do.

Check my profile for my email to get in touch about details, though the forum threads here are a quick summary of goals and accomplishments thus far.

When you worked on the AOE3 XP was there any word on a ROL XP?

Apparently there was some work done for an XP as the Kahan nation (and possibly Skald nation also) was left out of the game, as well as water and ice terrains and a realistic skybox, among other things.
posted 06-25-18 02:28 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22  
Is there still work being done on the patch? Finding this makes me want to reinstall this game it was great, maybe I will.. Goodluck working on this!
posted 02-10-19 07:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22  
@ Joshkillerfish - There is an interest but actual work is slow. ROL was never as popular as the AOE series so there are less people playing and finding this game, and therefore less interest in patching.
People also don't know about the User Patch project even though I have advertised it on HG, Moddb, Steam and Reddit for years.

This is a long-term project and it will take many years for the news to be found, and even then people have real lives and may not have enough time and/or skills for this hobby of patching videogames.

If you can't help with this patch the best you can do is contact other interested players, programmers and post links in any relevant place on the internet.
I will also answer any questions as best as I can either in this forum, Moddb, Reddit, Steam and via email.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 02-10-2019 @ 07:18 PM).]

posted 04-12-19 03:42 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
Hello there, i am a really big fan of this game.

personally i am a warcraft 3 map maker. and slowly when my project is finished i intended to open a nice little discord community for it.

aside it i want to gather and get people to know rise of legends, i have a patched version that can be used to play on gameranger.

so far to spare people the rather difficult task of patching the game with CMD like how me and my friend originally did.

i intend to upload my personal version to my own google drive account.

my friends and hopefully many more people that i will gather in time will all speak english.

anyhow... i wanted to say i am basically a free advertiser for rise of legends.

along with my map coming out and hopefully gaining traction in the thriving wc3 custom community... i tend to also have a full section of my discord dedicated to old RTS games and especially rise of legends.

let me point out there was a recent youtube video made reviewing this game.

just to let you know, you might be able to contact the owner of this youtube channel, i don't know him personally but he is a really good person. judging from his videos.

why contact him ? well in the right time he can be reasoned with to make another video publicly saying that now there is a fan made modding community who patched the game up so you can play online.

it might an ultimate power so you might want to keep it for when its the right time.
posted 05-06-19 00:02 AM EDT (US)     16 / 22  
@ StormKnight0

Thanks for getting in touch here. I have heard from other programmers via email who are interested and I will post some news here soon so you can all get in contact together.

Someone on Youtube already posted a link to this thread so it will take time for people to find this UPatch project.
posted 06-25-20 09:59 AM EDT (US)     17 / 22  
That's an awesome project.
However, I honestly think it would be better to create a new RoL-style RTS game rather than modding it now.

I know it's the latest technology at the time, like accessing DirectX8 pipeline shaders from C++, or application-owned local resource format(s), but in today's DirectX 11 and 12, these 3D codes are also more freely writable.

Unlike in the past, RTS programming itself is not so difficult. Nowadays we have plenty of CPU performance(s), so we can use more general purpose math algorithms at the same time without affecting the frame rates, without having to use compromising programs that fall between the unit management and execution speed during the play of the RoL era.

Nevertheless, I wish you success, Good Luck.
posted 09-06-20 02:13 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
Just FYI, I'd be interested in helping with this as well. I'm currently very busy, but would be interested in helping as time permits. I'm currently working on the Wine project as well with the goal of getting Rise of Legends to work on Linux.
posted 09-08-20 08:28 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22  
Hi Negatratoron,

One other user and myself will be slowly starting Upatch work soon.
We're all busy dealing with life but want to see this game updated, and if I have your email I'll get you in touch with the other programmer.

Another player commented on running ROL on Linux Wine here:
"I'd also like openGL and if possible vulkan renderers for linux and osx support.
The game already runs beautifully on wine, especially on gallium9 (Which for me nets better fps and less bugs than playing on native windows)."
posted 01-26-21 05:44 AM EDT (US)     20 / 22  
Hey how are things progressing ive been hopeing for years for a change. maby even tricking steam into thinking ROL is RON for multiplayer support plus some modding to get everything working correctly... Thoughts?
posted 02-15-21 03:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22  
I love this
posted 03-21-21 02:52 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22  
Status update: There are about a dozen people interested in working on the project.

The recent Covid/lockdown/economic chaos has delayed some of us again.

A few programmers are more able than others to proceed so we will update you here but the ROL Discord will be the future of this game and mods for the time being.
There is a User Patch section there for any interested programmers and modders who would like to join.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 03-21-2021 @ 03:00 PM).]

Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » User Patch Project
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames