Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Fan Fic - Sand and Fire.
posted 05-19-06 11:21 AM EDT (US)   

Sand and Fire
An Alin fanfic by Shala

Prologue

This story is set thousands of years ago, before the Vinci and Alin even made contact. The Alin do not exist as a unified race, but are split into the Sand and Fire categories. The story revolves around a Desert Walker (who I have not named yet) and his experiences with these "strange" Fire creatures. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Chapter One

Another day of training had passed. As usual, I could not manage to master the Glass Bolts crossbow. I insisted to my teacher that our throwing scimitars were much more powerful, and that there was absolutely no use for the crossbows, but he would not listen. Perhaps he was closed minded. Or perhaps he was just nervous.

You see, in Medinat Khobar, we have long thought we were the only intelligent race in the desert. However recently, there have been sightings of giant fire breathing lizards and flying dames of fire. Some choose not to believe these tales, but nevertheless, the Sultan of Sand has decreed that we mobilise.

I am a Desert Walker. A good one at that. I have also been trained as a Heartseeker, which was previously a completely female oriented military position, solely because of tradition. Most citizens of Khobar are trained for battle in one way or the other, but for hundreds of years we have been in isolation and therefore, peace. Some believe we have grown weak.

Obviously, I myself, did not believe in those far fetched fantasy stories of creatures of fire. That is, until I saw them with my own eyes.

It was at the last quarter of the waning moon when six Heartseekers and I were sent to investigate the disappearance of some civilians in a nearby town. We arrived at the town to be greeted by an elderly man riding an average sized scorpion. He was the leader in the town and he briefed us on what had happened.

Like at home, they had also been plagued by stories of fiery creatures. I couldn't help but silently chuckle at the idea. Our troop leader, Hawasna, failed to see what was so funny. We all knew that it was probably just some civilians having problems with small sandsnakes, as usual. We took a quick drink from the oasis and resupplied our packs. Then we headed off.

We were, of course, travelling at night. It is impossible to breathe, let alone stand in this region of the desert during the hours of sunlight. With night comes a pleasant breeze and surprisingly, clearer vision. Darkness is nothing compared to the glaring sunlight and distracting mirages.

The desert is also uncannily quiet, when there are no winds. The night breeze was not enough to cover the wingflaps or grunts of our mantas. Abruptly, Hawasna stopped and raised her right hand to the back of her head. The signal was for us to be wary. There was someone...or something, nearby.

I do not remember what happened after that exactly, but when I woke up, I was in a cave along with the other Heartseekers. Hawasna had tears in her eyes.

Our mantas were nowhere in sight. I looked to my left and noticed an exit in the distance. Stalactitic pillars were abundant in the cave, but I could make out moonlight coming in from the distance. The rocks beneath us were jagged and managed to slowly pierce our skin. I tried to stand up, but realised I was chained to the ground.

However, these were not chains. Weighty bands of glass cuffed my ankles and wrists. I turned to my fellow heartseekers. We were weaponless. our mouths were gagged by our own headgear. But we were alive. That means that there was something our captors wanted from us.

Suddenly, I heard a shrill scream. Small explosions were to follow. I tried to count but lost track after about two hundred. The cave began to rattle. Stalactites began to fall to the ground. The pillars began to crash. A large crater began to form nearby.

As Alin, we knew what it had to be. Could it be that the legendary Sand Warden had sent us Sand Horror to our aid?

We gaped as the uncannily large creature burst out of the crusty floor. Few have ever actually met the great Sand Warden, or have been blessed to see his powers. This creature was a being of the sand, and was here to help us.

It slowly lowered its body and revealed a metallic armour covering its entire back. Without warning, it dove back into the earth. The explosions from outside were still going on.

The sand beneath us shook again. It was getting heavier. We were being tossed up and down by the rocks now. Up and down. Up and down. Up and - up. We shot up until our heads almost hit the cave ceiling.

Underneath us, the Sand Horror stayed absolutely still. We panicked and tried to jump off, until we realised that the dense glass was still holding us to whatever surface we were on.

The amount of explosions began to lessen. I heard what I thought was a hundred screeches. The noise drowned the explosions and slowly faded into the distance. The Sand Horror dashed gracefully along to the cave entrance.

"So this group of rookies is what the Sultan sends to aid the town?" said the shadow of a giant man with an insectoid bottom half.

★★★★★

[This message has been edited by Shala (edited 06-05-2006 @ 07:25 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-20-06 02:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
So that's what it feels like not to get a comment

★★★★★
posted 05-20-06 02:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
Very good!

Keep it up!

PS: I went on strike cause of lack of interest, if you were wondering.

posted 05-20-06 02:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
well we steampunk/arabian nights forumers have got to stick out for each other

sounds really good, though it is short of course, considering its only 1 chapter, it's well wrote, easy to read and all, so your technique is great

but as for the content - it's great! but i'm a bit confused now, last i checked it went something like this: alin mastered sand magic, then fire, then eventually with Sawu or on their own, they found that using fire magic with sand magic could create glass magic, fire+sand=glass, rather than two seperate things entirely

keep up the good work, looking forward to chapter 2!

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
posted 05-20-06 02:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
Do you think I should give you some of my drawings - and concept drawing art?
It's not very good at all, the 3D part got scrapped as it didn't really work.
posted 05-20-06 03:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
Sure Anything Sandy/Fiery

★★★★★
posted 05-20-06 03:21 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
I was meaning all of you, not just you Shala. Anyway, to be honest, the only Alin unit I can draw is Desert Walkers.
posted 05-21-06 08:32 AM EDT (US)     7 / 19  
This is an interesting take on how the Alin empire came to be . Perhaps Damanhur herself will make an appearance in it? o_0

I'll bet at the end, Dhakla and Damanhur have a baby, and it's Sawu!!! :P

I look forward to seeing what actually happens next :P.

GRUNT'S UBER COMICS OF DOOM! READ!
http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=91&st=recent&f=4,91,0,10]z00t[/url]
RoL Online Nick:
ESO name:[/b][url=http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/EntityStats.aspx?loc=en-US&EntityName=z00t&md=ZS_Supremacy]z00t
posted 05-21-06 10:09 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
One of her ancestors just might

But IIRC, Dakhla has been alive for ages (literally). So he might make an appearance

★★★★★
posted 05-21-06 01:35 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
LOL!!!

Dhakla and Damanhur are Sawu's parents would be interesting, but Sawu learned 'glass magic' when he was old and fat.

you can't spell 'ignorance' without IGN.
posted 05-23-06 03:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
Can I please link to this on my list of fan fiction and artwork for my new site? And all the other parts? Please??
posted 05-23-06 03:45 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
Very good, although it takes place ata a time that no info is known, it gives you more freedom to write, although poor in content for the first submission I'll be creeping around this part of the forum for the next piece.

Keep it up.

posted 05-24-06 07:27 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19  

Quote:

Can I please link to this on my list of fan fiction and artwork for my new site? And all the other parts? Please??

Of course

And thanks for the comments guys I'll write up some more soon.

★★★★★

[This message has been edited by Shala (edited 05-27-2006 @ 06:13 AM).]

posted 05-27-06 06:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
More coming tomorrow.

★★★★★
posted 05-29-06 06:23 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19  
Sorry it was kind of late, but it's there now

*hates triple post*

★★★★★
posted 05-29-06 07:43 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
keep it up the great work shala!

but could you make the rest of it normal size again please? ._.

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
posted 06-04-06 10:31 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19  
Great work. Nice English, easy to read and not very boring. keep it up.

[This message has been edited by King91 (edited 06-04-2006 @ 10:34 AM).]

posted 06-04-06 03:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
Thanks. These comments mean a lot to me guys

★★★★★
posted 06-05-06 06:52 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
Is that Dakhla? He's actually half-earwig, not half scorpion.....

And shouldn't there be no glass magic considering that this story takes place when the schools of sand and fire are only just meeting? Glass magic was supposed to have been invented after that, I thought...

Sorry for nitpicking, I'm a bit weird like that ^_______^.

Keep up the good work! How long do you reckon the final thing's going to be?

GRUNT'S UBER COMICS OF DOOM! READ!
http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=91&st=recent&f=4,91,0,10]z00t[/url]
RoL Online Nick:
ESO name:[/b][url=http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/EntityStats.aspx?loc=en-US&EntityName=z00t&md=ZS_Supremacy]z00t
posted 06-05-06 07:16 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
It'll end when I'm too bored/busy to continue

And thanks for the Dakhla info. I didn't actually know that

★★★★★
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Desert Mystic Library » Fan Fic - Sand and Fire.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames