You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: General Discussion(-ception)
posted 05-30-12 10:41 PM EDT (US)   
Hello all. I am a new user, but a huge fan of RoL since I discovered it in a Half-Price in 2008. I've noticed various activity around this (admittedly mostly dead) community, and, due to having about two people in person to discuss the game with and a long and burning desire to get involved in some (preferably obscure) online community, I wanted to set up some thread for stray users to gather for a while. Hope you come.

On the topic of discussion: Favorite hero, and why? I personally like The Doge. My brother loves Kakoolha: He loves elephants and the Cuotl, and a laser-mounted elephant is perfect for him (if only it didn't have such a crappy model).

On another note, I am making Rise of Legends LEGO models to be submitted to http://lego.cuusoo.com/. I have made a Vinci Imperial Musketeer, Alin Desert Walker, Cuotl Sentinel, Timonium mine, Vinci miner, and (lovingly-made) Clockwork Spider. I am working on a Clockwork Man, Holy Ark, Scout Flyer, and, among others, a full-fledged Vinci City.

[This message has been edited by Ishnox (edited 05-30-2012 @ 10:50 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-31-12 03:09 AM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
Hi Ishnox and welcome to the slow RoL forums.

Maybe you would submit a link to cuusoo when you submit your RoL models. Would be very interesting to see

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 05-31-12 07:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
The models will likely not be done for some time. It took me damned long enough to do the Clockwork Spider, and I had to order parts to create the actual Timonium in the Deposit. The Vinci Small City will be a downright chore, requiring hours of glancing at the in-game model and many, many more of trying to find the correct pieces. I could post what I have, if it's of interest.
posted 05-31-12 10:34 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
I for one would love to see some piccies

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 05-31-12 01:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
(I apologize, how does one insert an image into a post?)

(Oh, I can't insert a picture directly? Should I post it to deviantArt and link from there?)

(^ By that, I meant that it can't be uploaded directly from my hard drive, I would have to post it on the interwebs. Additionally, I tried three different methods to embed it and they all failed, hence the humble link.)

[This message has been edited by Ishnox (edited 05-31-2012 @ 07:09 PM).]

posted 05-31-12 06:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
You do that by placing the link to the picture between [ img ][ /img ] (without the spaces) tags.

posted 05-31-12 06:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Alright, here it is.

http://ishnoxo.deviantart.com/#/d51x8xb

I wasn't able to embed directly, so I just linked.

Hope you like it!

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

[This message has been edited by Ishnox (edited 05-31-2012 @ 06:58 PM).]

posted 06-01-12 02:53 AM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
That Clockwork Spider looks great

posted 06-01-12 09:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
Thanks! Yeah, it took hours to complete him. I had to rebuild the legs a couple of times. In fact, that's mostly the reason why the Scout Flyer isn't done; I must have torn it apart and rebuilt it three times now.
You provide inspiration, friend! Sitting in front of me are the pieces to the LEGO Clockwork Man, and I shall get started for what the twenty minutes before my two-week trip to Turkey are worth. I've built his arms, one leg (it's a bit short, ergh), and crudely attached the body together (I found this awesome grey gear, it'll be perfect for the main gear!). I also have the Holy Ark (in Cuotl blue) complete, but without the four huge heads.

Not to mention that my friends' laptop webcam was literally the only working camera in the house somehow, so we used that. I'll see if future uploads can't utilize a better one.

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

[This message has been edited by Ishnox (edited 06-01-2012 @ 09:13 AM).]

posted 06-04-12 01:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Awesome activity atm! My favorite hero is, for the vanilla game, Xil, and for modded with otter's expansion/ the moon god mod, Ix.
posted 06-04-12 02:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
Hi Ishnox,

Nice to see people posting more about ROL. Yontash would be my favorite hero because of his fierce appearance and Belisari my favorite heroine because of her floating manta ray mount.

Your ROL Lego idea is super cool! Legos were a part of my childhood so it's cool to see what people come up with, especially nowadays with sites like Cuusoo. I like your Alin desertwalker - HURAH! I'm thinking to make an Alin glass cannon, puzzle box or glass citadel you could use some clear blue window pieces. I've got my old legos in a box somewhere but probably not enough pieces to make anything completely.

I just recently came across these ROL threads started by fans here and here, so it seems other people have been discussing the game elsewhere which is cool.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 06-04-2012 @ 03:06 PM).]

posted 06-04-12 02:38 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
Yes! Another reply! Grow, little thread, grow!

I downloaded the mod, and it encouraged me to screw around with the .xml files so much that my friend and I could no longer play together, so I re-installed the game. Otherwise, it was awesome, except for the waaay-overpowered neutral sites. I felt it could use some refining, which is partially what got me into screwing around. I figured out how to make buildings fly!

Edit: Wow, a reply while I was replying! Woo! I´ll be slow to respond, due to using a Turkish keyboard. I still have to get into the campaign. My brother loved Venza (Harley-Davidson flyer!) and I love the organ-like pipe structure on the Doge´s walker. Speaking of him, my friend and I call him Mr. McGowan due to an... Uncanny resemblance to my AP World History teacher.

Edit Edit: My friend (you know, I oughta get his butt on to the forums) and I got huge amounts of entertainment from spam-clicking on the Heartseeker - CHUHH! CHUHH! (and isn´t "he" supposed to be female!?) I, through a blunder ınvolvıng an unrelated ´fig, had to re-replace the arms on the Desert Walker and they are now kind of floppy.

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

[This message has been edited by Ishnox (edited 06-04-2012 @ 02:49 PM).]

posted 06-04-12 03:44 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
Hmm maybe you can share with us how you made buildings fly? When Motter comes back to the HG forums he might know something about that also and you could exchange info. I've had some ideas for mods over the years but because the game wasn't updated to be more moddable it's next to impossible to try to create certain things.

And yeah, CHUHH CHUHH! goes the heartseeker, whose riders I guess are male, but Belisari the Alin heroine who is in the campaign mission Southern Dunes is a female on a different colored manta ray.

There's a great Let's Play video series for the ROL campaign on youtube here.
posted 06-04-12 04:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
@alincarpetman I know jack squat about modding RoL other than what little I`ve learned from fooling around with a kickstart from Motter. Here`s how it works: I downloaded a .xml editor (just in case you didn`t know, XML files are used to store data for retrieval by the engine) which allows me to edit the properties of buildings and units. In C:// -> Program Files (x86) -> Microsoft Games -> Rise of Legends, and possibly in the Data folder, there should be a .xml file called buildingrules.xml. Open it with the .xml editor. From here, you should see property-type lists at the top, and under it, every type of building in the game (this also allows you to bring in unused buildings like the awesome Imperial Observatory). Now how buildings work is that they have several string of letters and numbers at the top, the most important being in the BUILDFLAGS region. Build Flags are letters and numbers, defined at the top, which give it certain traits, such as able to build on land (pretty crucial). Now if you loved finding a whole bunch of unused units when you went through your /cheat add stage, the same applies here. You can find weird and really fun build flags that tell your building to be captured along with a city, and unusual and unused ones like giving your building the ability to destroy the land around it. Each build flag is indicated by a single letter or number (ex. if you type a into the BUILDFLAGS region (I think that`s the name), your building can be built on land). To enable a building to fly, enter q into the BUILDFLAGS region. Now your building can fly, but can`t go anywhere. There is, in fact, a handy category known as FLY, which will have a 0 in it. This indicates that it can either go nowhere or anywhere; typing a number in allows it to only go a certain distance, so leave it at 0. Next, place a comma and a speed (ex. 0,30). This allows your building to actually go somewhere. I`ve found that 30 is a great speed, about the same as a Fane. Save and load up the game. Like the Fane, a beautiful little ^ button is now located in the building menu. Lifdoff (refrance)(Another reference (all Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff (Do I use parentheses too often or what?))) Sorry. Anyways, hit the liftoff button and fly your building around. Have fun! I`ve found that some buildings need to point in the direction they need to go, like the sluglike Floating Castle, but others simply go, like the Fane. Also, don`t go too nuts; It`ll eff up your game if you`re not careful. I made Defense Towers, Steam Fortresses, and entire Moon Temples float magestically through the air!

Whew. Anyways, ask if you have questions.

edit: God this thread is awesome.

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

[This message has been edited by Ishnox (edited 06-04-2012 @ 04:58 PM).]

posted 06-05-12 10:27 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
posted 06-05-12 11:17 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
Yeah some of us have talked about it here as well. Apparently Epic games hired some of the BHG team though so all is not lost.
posted 06-05-12 12:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
Has anyone tried the flying trick?

If Epic han rebuild some kind of new BHG, it will be necessary for them to make a Rise of Legends 2. Beyond necessary.

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

[This message has been edited by Ishnox (edited 06-05-2012 @ 12:51 PM).]

posted 06-08-12 08:56 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
That would be awesome... They actually originally planned ROL2 but goddamn Microsoft didn't want to publish it, I believe. Not 100% sure.

[This message has been edited by thejango40 (edited 06-09-2012 @ 11:25 AM).]

posted 06-12-12 11:18 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
I noticed the official servers are dead. It's because BHG and 38 died, right? Does that mean they will be offline forever?
posted 06-12-12 12:52 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
Depends on who pays/paid for the servers. What patching the game goes, there is always the manual way of patching.

posted 06-12-12 01:08 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
Yeah, they seem to be dead... a real shame. We can always use gameranger, but I preferred the original way. Hope I will somehow be able to meet the 5 active friends, out of the 42 I had on friends list.
posted 06-16-12 10:47 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
My friend and I play WLAN over Hamachi after we discovered a month back that all RoL servers were offline, or so it seems.

...I definitely won't give up and will keep working on the LEGO CUUSOO Rise of Legends figures, but I want to give it some time before I submit the project. I don't want to put all the effort into it and post it only for LEGO to turn around and say "Oh, well, we can't snag a license because the goddamn FBI is investigating the wreckage of the license-owning company, so the answer is lol no."

On that note, any suggestions for units to make out of Legos?

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.
posted 06-16-12 12:44 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
How about the Juggernaut and the Land Leviathan and the Steam Cannon? They are large units giving you the chance of including many details.

posted 06-17-12 01:17 AM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
I agree, but I feel that the Juggernaut is a bit... boring. Not as steampunk-y than some of the other units (although old Juggernaut would be awesome!). The Land Leviathan's foot would be a project in itself, to say nothing of the difficulty of actually building the glorious beast. I have considered it and found great pieces for it, like a printed front dome piece and pipes for the lower body, but I am already doing a Vinci city. As for the Steam Cannon, I could definitely do that, the only hindrance being that I am already doing a ton of Vinci stuff. I intend to include alternate pictures below the main one, and that opens up the possibility of any unit, as opposed to just ones that will look good in the pic.

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.
posted 06-20-12 12:48 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
After you are done with your current projects, could you make a sun idol? They look awesome
posted 06-20-12 05:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
I was going to make a Sun Idol! I figured each race needed a big thing, and the Sun Idol would be the Cuotl's. I stripped apart the King Rock Monster from Power Miners to plan and use for pieces and offered my brother (who loves the Cuotl) to design some of it.

I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.
posted 08-17-12 02:50 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
So... anything happens? What are you guys doing?
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » General Discussion(-ception)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames