You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guards, Descriptions and Good Stuff - Scenario Modding Tutorial Part 2
posted 05-11-06 01:20 PM EDT (US)   
How to change Guards and Descriptions in Scenarios

Welcome to part two of my series on Modding Rise of Legends. You can find part one here.

Coming up. . .
- Don't like the units guarding neutral sites? Then change them!
- Make Scenario names and descriptions be different!

Coming Soon In An Update: How to write a simple script to add resources to the Startup!

I assume you have either Rise of Legends Demo 1 or 2, or the Retail Version installed. If you don’t, you can get help at http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/Ultimate.cgi or http://www.ronoracle.com/forums.

SETTING UP
Go to your computer Desktop, right click, select new, and then select shortcut.
A pop-up will appear, asking for the name for the shortcut. Enter RoL Maps (you can change it later), and click next. The next screen will ask you to enter the location the shortcut will take you to. Enter C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise Of Legends Demo\maps if you have the Demo, or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise Of Legends\maps if you have the retail version. Then press Finish.

Open the Shortcut, and you will find yourself in a folder with 3 files in. Go up one stage (to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise Of Legends (or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise Of Legends Demo if you have the demo)), and select the maps folder. Copy and paste it, naming it backup maps, or something to tell you what it is. Next, open the map that's probably called Battle for the Core or (DEMO)Battle for the Core. Please note this is not in the first demo. If you have Demo number 1, then it is probably rather difficult to do part 1.

If it opens in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox etc, then close it, right click on the file, move your mouse down to ‘open with’ and click Choose Program. Otherwise, skip the next paragraph.

In this pop-up, select Notepad, and check the box at the bottom that says ‘Always use the selected program to open this type of file’. Click ok, and then try opening the file again. Notepad will open with the file displayed.

EDITING
Now we have made a quick shortcut, set the file to open properly, and made a backup, we can begin.

PART 1
This is rather imprecise, and you will have to learn for yourself how to modify it more effectively.

Press Control+H. A Replace dialog box will pop-up. In the Find what box, put Fallen Jaguar. In the Replace with box, put Fallen Sentinel. Press Replace all. The Replacer will change the defenders of the Turrets from Fallen Jaguar's to Fallen Sentinel's.

Load it up, and try it out.

If you want to have Fallen Jaguar's guard the moon core, then press Control+F and enter BUILD type="Moon Core".

It will jump to it. There are two entries for Moon Core, one below the other. You will have to mod both.

The bit we are concrened with is

<DEFENDER defenders_min="5" defenders_max="5" defender_type="Fallen Sentinel" defender_spawn_rate="150"/>

The defenders_min="5" means that the Moon Core will start the game with 5 groups of defenders. Change this to 3.

defenders_max="5" Means that the maximum number of
defenders for the Moon Core that can be spawned (see below) is 5. Therefore no new units will appear after the game starts unless any are killed. Change it to 4

defender_type="Fallen Sentinel" means that the defenders of the Moon Core are Fallen Sentinels. Change it to Fallen Jaguar.

defender_spawm_rate="150" is how often units will appear to defend the Moon Core. I am not sure whether this means frames or seconds. Change it to 200.

When you try it now, the Defenders of the Moon Core are 3 Fallen Jaguars, increasing to 4 after a while.

PART 2
To change the Name of this scenario, scroll to the top and press Control+F and enter " name=".
It should jump to about 2/3 lines down. Change DEMO: Battle for the Core to Battle for the Big Apple.
Then look down another line or two, to where it says description=".
Change

description="Turrets manned by Fallen Cuotl ring this time-etched fragment of the legendary Mother Ship. Unlocking the Ship's remaining secrets will require control of the central Core."

to
description="Madmen fight in a Jungle over a big apple."

Open it up in RoL and the description and title will be rather interesting...

Multiplayer Needs
If you are going to use a Map modded like this, it may cause the Multiplayer to Crash. This has yet to be tested, so please make sure you and a someone else on Multiplayer have the same files.

Examples
I haven't released any that I can remember use this tutorial yet...

NEXT TIME
I'm not really sure yet...

Any Problems?
If you have any problems or questions, for instance you need a backup, or you can’t understand anything, get help at http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/Ultimate.cgi or http://www.ronoracle.com/forums.

License
This guide is exclusive to RoN Oracle, MikiMetropolis.com (my site) and Rise of Legends Heaven.
By Evolved
RoN Oracle Content Updater, RoL Heaven Clan Leader, and Modder.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 05-11-2006 @ 01:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-15-06 07:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
Nice part 2 of the guide

Do you know if it's possible to re-skin or re-texture units and other objects on the full game? If it is, that could be a very helpful idea for your next guide.

posted 05-16-06 12:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
No, I don't.

Nor can I find out, as I won't have it until the UK Release.

Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Guards, Descriptions and Good Stuff - Scenario Modding Tutorial Part 2
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames