You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Campaign for More Rise of Legends Modding Capability!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
posted 07-25-06 10:59 PM EDT (US)   

Please note the campaign has moved to a dedicated site, to allow people not registered on these forums to sign it.

The Campaign for Rise of Legends Modding Capability (or CRLM for short) has one aim: to get BHG to allow us to really modify Rise of Legends by access to at least the unitgraphics.xml file - giving us the ability to create giant tornadoes, groups of big and small and whatever zeke's and more. We could use it to make units and buildings not in the final game, to make units whatever size we want, and hopefulyl to change the actual look of the units themselves!

This is the primary goal, although in future based upon the success of this Campaign and other factors we may campaign for some sort of multiplayer modding ability.

Here's the goals in brief...
Stage 1
Requesting the unitgraphics.xml file at least, and hopefulyl all the XML Files editable in the first demo.
For technical people, here is a list of the main wanted files: building_graphics.xml, gamecamera.xml, unit_graphics.xml, ammo.xml, and any other files needed for skin and model editing (maybe later). That is a quick list, and I may add a FEW files to it over the coming days/hours. Preferably all the files though.

Stage 2
If not, a model exporter (and BHG did say if there was enough demand we might get one) and possibly a skin exporter too if it's not possible with just unitgraphics.xml/the files we get. Also requesting a multiplayer mod feature if easily possible.

Big Huge Games has decided to not spend time increasing moddability of the game, and instead chosen to focus on Multiplayer. A Good Choice you say? Well look at the Rise of Nations Heaven Download Section, with it's 308 files, of which a lot were already made by this amount of time after game release.

Yet this game has a pitiful 13 Mods, and as it happens there is only 3 or 4 for the Full Game - most others enable the Cuotl in the Demo, as it happens. A rather big difference, bearing in mind as well as non-demo mods are by me! You saw how popular RoN was, so why not repeat that for RoL?!

So, make a difference, and post here supporting this Campaign, as we compile a petition of names for modding - if enough people sign, they'll have to listen! If you have any questions or arguments, please post them as well.

Attached View of Agamemnus: Let's not forget that the current capability that we have right now is grossly under-documented and some of the documented script functions don't even work. There should be more documentation on the script functions we can have and on how to compile stuff before all the extra moddability, I think.

Attached View of tactickiller: they should also give us a exporter for a free model program so we dont have the same thing that happened to ron (the program costed about 600$).

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 09-02-2006 @ 06:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-18-06 07:46 AM EDT (US)     101 / 128  
Sign me up again

but this time write

Alvinz92(In support of Zekeland)

posted 08-18-06 04:14 PM EDT (US)     102 / 128  
Wow evolved 100 posts and almost 50 names so far!!! Good job.
posted 08-18-06 09:34 PM EDT (US)     103 / 128  
we need more

~=~just give me all your cash ok. or do i need to do something to make you~=~
Fast Food and Gay Buttsecks
What we're Shala's all about
for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
posted 08-21-06 05:03 PM EDT (US)     104 / 128  
50th (Next) person to sign will have a spot on the Zekeland beta (if I do one)!
posted 08-21-06 09:47 PM EDT (US)     105 / 128  

Quote:

50th (Next) person to sign will have a spot on the Zekeland beta (if I do one)!

can I sign it again? lol, just kidding. But seriously I would love to have a spot on the Zekeland beta. And besides thats not something that you can give away to any random person that you don't even know or trust. And what if the 50th person doesn't want to have a spot on the Zekeland beta? Oh god I need that reward.

[This message has been edited by NaturalViolence (edited 08-21-2006 @ 09:48 PM).]

posted 08-22-06 03:00 AM EDT (US)     106 / 128  
Well it is just to try and get a 50th vote.

Anyway, I've removed it, as you do make a good point NV.

There might not be a beta, and if there is it will be by invitation only as I don't want to get emails from everyone who has played it wanting to play it. I'll consider people who seem to deserve it (you are probably one of them I suppose).

Well just so people know, the Unofficial Modding platform for the community is demo 2, as we can change EVERYTHING apart from the actual models and skins (that I've tried I mean).

As I think I said, I hope to have a demo 2 version out today if my Demo 2 Modding Kit works, and I've already got the units on Patch 2.0 (slated for release today or tomorrow hopefully). Also I plan for a full unit guide and website in fact (hosted on my own) for it.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 08-22-2006 @ 03:00 AM).]

posted 08-22-06 10:42 AM EDT (US)     107 / 128  
posted 08-22-06 10:56 AM EDT (US)     108 / 128  

Quote:

Archaeopterix
The Steam Punk
Archaeopterix

Twice?

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
posted 08-22-06 03:46 PM EDT (US)     109 / 128  
hes right evolved you need to fix that, and about your last post yay demo 2 is out
posted 08-22-06 03:48 PM EDT (US)     110 / 128  
Demo 2?

It isn't if you mean Zekeland... I haven't even added the Zeke Caravans etc.

posted 08-22-06 03:51 PM EDT (US)     111 / 128  
no actually I meant the Unofficial Modding platform for the community, by the way you should change the title of this thread since there not really votes, you should change it from 50 votes to 50 sign ups or something like that
posted 08-22-06 03:51 PM EDT (US)     112 / 128  
I'm way in for this. I likes zekeland, and modding, it's fun! (thinks about Info age supersoldiers modded in from halo :_: )

[This message has been edited by StealthArcher (edited 08-22-2006 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 08-24-06 03:27 PM EDT (US)     113 / 128  
Heya again.
It seems the Zeke's have been busy planning an attack on BHG Headquarters to retrieve tools to modify .big files.

For a high quality version go here: http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/7818/moddingga1.jpg

I hope that made your day, and remember, if the Zeke's want more modding, you should too!

Evolved

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 08-24-2006 @ 03:29 PM).]

posted 08-24-06 03:59 PM EDT (US)     114 / 128  
Sign Me Up For More Modding I Think It Would Be Great To See People Getting Creative WithThe Game And Improving It For Everyone
posted 08-24-06 05:06 PM EDT (US)     115 / 128  
I'm going to make a Promo image kit for people to use.

It will include images and text to use to promote the Campaign.

posted 08-25-06 06:17 AM EDT (US)     116 / 128  
tis me wolve again (and no this time i'm not lost lol) were do i vote? or do you just add my name? if so,do so

i game you can't mod suxx

posted 08-25-06 06:27 AM EDT (US)     117 / 128  
You just say something like 'I sign'.

Added you.

posted 08-25-06 11:35 AM EDT (US)     118 / 128  
Sign.
posted 08-25-06 06:01 PM EDT (US)     119 / 128  
we almsot have enough to attck bhg heaquarters we jsut need to perfect the cloneing
posted 08-27-06 12:20 PM EDT (US)     120 / 128  
A good game is a customizable game. If they want the game to last though the ages, and survive the release of newer, more flashy games, then they need for us, the gamers, to make that happen. It is up to us, the make the game the way WE want. To be able to make this unit cost that much, and this do that much attack. It is up to us, to make our own units, to create our own creatures of war. It is up to us, to make total conversion packs, and to keep interest high for another 5+ years than it would be without modding capability. Not everyone enjoys playing just the game, that gets boring after a while. However, I want to be able to open up the game and attack some Orcs with my stormtroopers (combine LoTR and SW ). This will never be possible though, without your help.

/sign

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 08-27-06 02:52 PM EDT (US)     121 / 128  
ive found a pretty good model program thats pretty much free if you keep installing it (its a 31 day trial 25$ for the full version a lot less then the one for ron).

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/index.html

its really easy to make stuff on. the only thing that i havent figured out how to do well is skin which would probally be diffrent for rol if we do get a exporter for it. would also be nice to get a importer for it also.

for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
posted 08-29-06 05:28 PM EDT (US)     122 / 128  
I've never published anything, but I really appreciate modability (is that a word?) in games, because in almost every one I play, particulary strategy games, I find at least some little thing I want to change, many times much more than one thing. I do everything from small changes to much larger conversions, and play it with friends and siblings. I was frustrated with the options currently available for modding in RoL, and when I came across this particular topic, I signed up just so I could post.

/Sign me in.

posted 09-01-06 05:30 PM EDT (US)     123 / 128  
Here's my final ultimatum: Give us all the modding needed for Zekeland (which I will detail to you) in the next patch, or:
- Zekeland is cancelled until we have more modding.
- I will cancel any modding classes I am going to do for HG Expo.
- I will quite possibly begin to dedicate myself to a game such as RTW, RoN, and other such moddable games (though RTW does need player made tools a lot I admit).

I have finally given up. I have spent about a year with RoL, waiting for it to come out eagerly, getting and doing cool things with the demo, and then finally getting the game.
In all that time I have never heard a BHG Employee say that the level of modding was going to be atrocious, in fact, it was going to be better than RoN's says Greypawn a few months ago in the Questions for BHG Thread.

In the end, I am fed up of using the Demo. If I knew this was going to be the situation I might not have actually got RoL until the prices went down a few weeks/months after UK Release. The Demo is unstable, liable to locking up the computer, causing massive crashes, 'blue screening' my computer (means crashing it completely), and that's just for starters, so it's hardly an at all good platform for modding.

I am fed up of hearing 'we can't do it overnight' or 'maybe after the tourney' (by which time RoL WILL be dead if it continues as now), so here I stand.

EDIT: There's a site now so people can vote if they aren't registered here.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 09-02-2006 @ 06:26 AM).]

posted 09-02-06 08:15 PM EDT (US)     124 / 128  
I agree with evolved also there are a few other things that id like. all skinning files unlocked so we can atleast make them look better. a easy to follow scenario guide. and maybe a exporter and importer for bhg (i think thats the model file) for milkshape (free modeling program found here http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/index.html. maybe a modding guide. hell it would be nice if you unlocked everything for single player (which is a probally not )

posted 09-03-06 03:05 AM EDT (US)     125 / 128  
I'd settle for skin editing and model editing with 3DS MAX. Not at all ideal, but more likely that they'd do it...
posted 09-04-06 02:03 PM EDT (US)     126 / 128  
3ds max (the one that works with the exporter) costs about 600$

posted 09-04-06 04:33 PM EDT (US)     127 / 128  
I know, but at least a few people will have it... Better than nothing...
posted 09-04-06 10:51 PM EDT (US)     128 / 128  
wouldnt it be better if there was a modeling program that costed a ton less.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » The Campaign for More Rise of Legends Modding Capability!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames