You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN General Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Interview with El_Capitan!
posted 04-03-04 07:54 PM EDT (US)   
TheGoodEvil
Ok let's get started.

TheGoodEvil
Where do you think strategy wise RoN falls short or could be better

El_Capitan
RoN has a pretty simple layout in winning the game, really.

TheGoodEvil
What is your basic formula?

El_Capitan
Well, besides doing crazy stuff, the surest way to win imo is just defensive booming. Scout your enemy, set up adequate raid defenses, don't take any risks basically and just build up your forces until you know you can take his cities one by one.

TheGoodEvil
By risks what do you mean?

El_Capitan
No rushing, early raiding, early assaults, etc.

El_Capitan
No crazy border push, things like that.

TheGoodEvil
Some would argue that early raiding could win you the game, you think otherwise?

El_Capitan
Yah, I don't think early raiding is all that effective. I mean, all the strategies in RoN "can" be effective but the main thing is to follow the basic formula; boom to Gunpowder, getting an army and start your attack, or hold until Enlightenment Age. All the rest is how well you adapt.

TheGoodEvil
What would you say is better to do first, build farms or collect more timber?

El_Capitan
The beginning is really tricky. It's all about what you know beforehand, and what you're planning.

For instance, playing a 1vs1 Arena and the map is Australian Outback, instead of a SCI 1 CIV 1 build order I'll go a SCI 1 COM 1 build order. Then, I will fill my Wooders first and save the timber for the Dock and fishing boats, then farms.

TheGoodEvil
Lets say you are on Old World 1v1, what would you do then?

El_Capitan
SCI 1 and CIV 1, then I'll build my 2 Farms first.

TheGoodEvil
ahh

El_Capitan
I'd do the SCI 1 CIV 1 most of the time, unless I find a particular rare or decide to rush.

TheGoodEvil
If you had to choose a civ in 1v1 barring Spain and Maya what would you choose and why?

El_Capitan
French. Extra Timber, Healing Supply Wagons, cheap siege, most powerful HC. You have the most options in deciding what you want to do. You can rush, raid, boom, anything very well.

TheGoodEvil
I was half expecting you to say China, that is the nation that mostly everyone else chooses.

El_Capitan
China is good, but French counter them pretty well. You also have to take Nation counters into consideration. For instance, China counters Spanish pretty well mostly due to the Chinese UU. "If" China can survive the Spanish HC raid it can counter them.

TheGoodEvil
Well that Chinese UU counters just about everything, sometimes even HC.

El_Capitan
Yeah, in mass, they're fairly good to use, backed up by HI or HC.

TheGoodEvil
In a Medieval attack how many of what will you bring to the battle?

El_Capitan
With what nation?

TheGoodEvil
Lets go with Rome.

El_Capitan
Against what nation?

TheGoodEvil
How about China?

El_Capitan
I wouldn't attack China.

El_Capitan
lol

TheGoodEvil
lol

TheGoodEvil
Why?

El_Capitan
China in Medieval don't need FA, but only need their UU LI.

El_Capitan
Trebs take too long to take down Large Cities. By the time you get a City and a large HI and HC force, the Chinese can make it to Gunpowder and counterattack with Gunpowder Age forces.

TheGoodEvil
I personally think China can do without the large city bonus, after all their UUs and instant vills amount to so much power why add the large city. what do you think?

El_Capitan
They are a Mid Tier Nation without the Large Cities. It's their border push that makes them deadly as a Top Tier Nation because of their Large Cities, they border push more aggressively.

El_Capitan
If I were to balance them as they are now... I'd suggest holding their Large Cities until they get to Classical Age.

TheGoodEvil
I absolutely Agree.

TheGoodEvil
Now with the up coming Xpac from a playtester point of view do you think Spain got it a little hard in the nerf department or do you think they got just the right bonuses taken away?

El_Capitan
I can't answer that, I don't know how they are atm. I'd have to play around with them. Paper balancing is a lot different than actual play balancing.

TheGoodEvil
Ahh, well from what I know they lost line of sight bonus and extra res from ruins.

El_Capitan
That's ok, the Spanish nerf. They'll still eventually get the Ruins, and still be able to do their early HC raid. That's where they're powerful.

Just knowing where the enemy Rares are. If I'm playing against an aggressive Spanish player, I don't even get my Rares sometimes if I know they're going fast HC raiding.

TheGoodEvil
Do you think the Greeks are fairly balanced?

El_Capitan
The greeks were a tough one.

I believe in team games and maps with fishing, they can be very powerful.

In 1vs1 land maps without fishing, they have some definite trouble. You have to play only 2 ways with them to survive.

TheGoodEvil
2 ways?

El_Capitan
Either a 1/1/1/1 fast Classical

Or getting 4 Scholars ASAP, then whatever

TheGoodEvil
Ouch, That's when the rush hits.

El_Capitan
hehe

TheGoodEvil
Do you have any sure fire tips for us newbs?

El_Capitan
practice, practice, practice to get better, all the information is out there it's just spending the time to play well.

TheGoodEvil
Do you have any cool gadgets or toys that helps to improve your game?

El_Capitan
nah, not really I'm a pretty slow player

TheGoodEvil
lol,
ok

El_Capitan
but

El_Capitan
there are 2 pieces of advice I can give for playing RoN if you're slow or fast.

If you're slow, no wasted movement, and plan ahead, out-think your opponent, make no mistakes.

If you're fast, don't forget to focus on your next move. Some players get so focused on raiding, they tend to forget to continue researching to advance in Ages.

TheGoodEvil
Before you go how much game time do you spend looking at the minimap and what is the single most important place you should keep your eyes on?

El_Capitan
The mini-map! When playing, keep looking at the mini-map, always look at the mini-map at least every 3-4 seconds.

If you're not doing anything important, or feel like you're just waiting, look at the mini-map. It's where all your strategic planning comes into fruition. The main map is where your tactical fighting comes into play.

TheGoodEvil
Well many many thanks to you for your time and knowledge!

El_Capitan
Thanks

-------------------------------------

This is the first in a series of interviews that i will have with the top players in RoN.

Stay tuned for the next interview featuring TWC_ShadowZ!

TGE

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 04-03-2004 @ 08:13 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-04-04 03:29 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
feel free to comment and ask questions i was assured by El_Capitan that he would answer as many questions as he can.

TGE

posted 04-04-04 04:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
I play much the same as he does...

~General Deamon Ross
posted 04-04-04 08:40 AM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
...... mee too, only no where near as good.
posted 04-04-04 11:42 AM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Good interview TGE. Looking forward to the next ones.

#1 fan of "El_Capitan"
posted 04-04-04 04:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
i have a question

?Lets say the map is austrilian outback and your up againest china or bantu, and your lets say aztec do u do sci 1 com 1 and try to out boom or do sci 1 civ 1 and try to minimize border push

Gamespy Name:_AnTi_Flash
Clan: AnTi
Clan Website: Your deepest fears
posted 04-04-04 04:59 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
Realize that on Australian Outback, you can boom really well with any Nation because of fishing. Territory isn't a priority if you know you can have a good economy. No matter if they're Chinese or Bantu, you're going to get your 2nd City up before they get their 3rd City. All you need to do is secure 2 mountains, and 2 timber spots, and you're good to go. Realize if they're going SCI1 and CIV1, they're not going to get as much Wealth as you are, and when Classical Age hits, you're in much better shape.

I'd go with SCI1 COM1. The only thing you need to worry about is a rush.

posted 04-05-04 02:52 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
If you are up against China on Outback, you better pray to god your opponent isn't very good. Especially on arena, China's natural border push will just kill you. once he gets the 10 worker mine in the center, it's over.

You always do sci1/com1 on water maps and outback. sci1/civ1 on all other maps, that's just basic stuff, anti_flash.

I'd still like to know what El_Capitans standard Medieval attack looks like in terms of units. GP as well.

Here's question #2 for ya, cap: How does your play change between playing people rated 1800-2000 and playing people ranked over 2k. Always use defense + booming vs the really good people? I usually have a problem keeping siege away when I do that(and yes I build my econ behind my cities)

posted 04-05-04 06:43 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Aztec outback rox, a litle map with a lot of figth

[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/ne0phenixxx/neor.JPG[/img]
posted 04-05-04 10:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
xxFlukexx: Look in the O4B archives for Dec. 28, 2003 and you'll find my standard army guide.

My style of gameplay changes depending on my mood, no matter what someone's rating is. I'll even use my Stay in Ancient Age strat against 2k+ players, and it works good enough to still get a win. A vast majority of players still get a little intimidated with something they're not used to, so I like to see how they react to it.

You can usually know whether a person is going to be aggressive or not just by having played them or watched a couple of their games... sometimes even by just playing against them in the first few minutes of your first game.

It's usually best to be unpredictable, since that gives you much more of an advantage the more games you play against people that have played you before. I've also wrote what I called a "set-up" strategy which sets people up to react to how you want them to in the 2nd game. It works great in the final stages of tournament play and can get you 2 easy wins... which I'll try to do in the next tourney, but now that I mentioned it, I'll have to be more tricky about it. =p

As far as the difference between experts and good players is their booming ability. Their level of knowledge about the game and their fighting micro ability gives them an edge for optimal booming capability enough to survive battles even when they are slightly outnumbered. Basically, if you're heavily attacking an expert in Classical/Medieval Age and they reach Gunpowder, you're 95% of the time very screwed.

posted 04-07-04 08:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
My question for El_Capitan is, do those really big shoes really make your calves stronger? I mean in theory, yes, the would make you focus on those muscles, but you were wearing them for so long and I didn't notice anything. I mean your behind got a little firmer, but who knows where that came from?

El_Capitan's #2 fan

[This message has been edited by marcoval (edited 04-07-2004 @ 08:34 PM).]

posted 04-07-04 08:30 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
I don't know about his butt, but those shoes were darn cool! Now let us get down to the really important issue at hand. Do the big shoes help your game? And if they do where can I get a pair?

El_Capitan's #3 fan

posted 04-07-04 09:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
My butt's mighty firm from those big shoes, I'll tell ya that. I get a lotta good games, get it? Good game!
posted 04-08-04 12:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Nope
posted 04-08-04 01:26 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
El_Capitan,

Do you think the Militia Rush is overpowered? If so please write no less than a 500 word essay on why. Please cover such important issues as how can this be executed and why it is strong. Also please discuss why leprechauns have pots of gold and what your plans for the future are.

El_Capitan's #3 fan

posted 04-08-04 02:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Mr Capitan, will you please come see the children at the local hospital, they're chanting your name.

#1 fan of "El_Capitan"
posted 04-08-04 07:00 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
The Militia Rush is overpowered because it can only be done with the Koreans, and I'm Korean. Get it? HAHAHAHAHA!

Leprechaun... Boy. You wouldn't get it. You will if you go to Federal Way, WA and eat at GodFather's Pizza... even then you still wouldn't get it. Get it? MWAHAHAHA!

My plans for the future? Why, the same thing I do everyday Pinky, TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD! MWAHAHAHAHA!

posted 04-11-04 00:44 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
I think i'll just go read my comic magazine brain...
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion » Interview with El_Capitan!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames