You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN General Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Interview with TWC_ShaDowZ!
posted 04-10-04 01:38 PM EDT (US)   
TheGoodEvil
In a team game what is the best thing to do that can bring you and your team victory?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Well thats a pretty hard question. I usually just try to kill my guy off fast if Im on the wing or boom a bit if Im pocket and double the other wing fast.

Some people always try to tech and boom fast in pocket but this usually goes to the cost of your winger which backfires greatly in the long run if he gets killed off.

TheGoodEvil
Let me draw out a scenario how about a 2v2 mesa you're Greeks partner is Aztecs vs a Russian and Korean?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Hmm well as Greeks you got 2 options for me (I dont really like them btw) either I get a scholar or 4 with 2 universitys and head for a normal 1-1-1-1 and raid strong. With the free knowledge you get when you hit Classic and the nice income you had in ancient you can always keep on aging.

In this case however when playing vs 2 defensive civs it would be very stupid to do this so just booming as normal and aging quickly would be your best bet.

Especially since your partners nation gets stronger the longer the game last so protecting him would be the most important thing early on.

TheGoodEvil
When you play in a cash tourney and are faced with PCA_Frogman on Great lakes 1v1 what is the first thing you want to know?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Hmm I would pray to god and hope for a good map but considering that map is so horible and screwy with bad fishing spots a river right at the spot you place your second city normaly and sometimes you get those pesky mountains with only 3 mining spots

But under normal conditions its just a booming war on those maps where the lakes mean everything. If you control them you will win. Its kinda like african wateringhole but more boom friendly due to the size of the map.

TheGoodEvil
What would you say is "the" best map?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Well a lot of nations have certain maps they are good on and maps they are bad on so it all kinda depends on the the civ you have.

My favorite map is Great Sahara however cause of the flat layout, lots of raiding spots. You also get lots of places to fight without having to worry about pathing and rivers like on other maps.

TheGoodEvil
Is there anything you can think of that could add the the strategic element in RoN?

TWC_ShaDowZ
After playing empire earth and most of the age series games the strategic element in RoN is very well thought out so im satisfied with it.

For more strategy in it we will have to wait for the xpack who looks amazing but i think tribbing units to an ally would be a very neat feature though.

TheGoodEvil
early raiding how hard, how fast, and where?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Again as always it depends on the civ and map. With civs like Romans/Bantu/Aztec I would go raiding right away from ancient (sci-mil) cause of the free/faster units for scouting and ruins.

Best raiding units for me are heavy infs in Ancient and heavy cavs in Classical.

The old way RoN wahs played whas low raiding jumping to gunpowder and start fighting there, now times have changed. For me the best plan is a fast hard raiding followed up by a siege in to keep fighting at all time.

Its just the way I enjoy games constant action but one mistake can be you're last

However most people stop raiding after clssical and just start booming. Attacking while raiding is the most effective stratgey, fighting at one place when a few raiders hit your economic spots.

TheGoodEvil
You mentioned mistakes, what are some mistakes that one could make in the early aggresive game?

TWC_ShaDowZ
A stupid mistake would be to go for a Medeival attack after you pretty much didnt kill anything with your raiding (you put more resources into raiders than he spends for defending) if you attack in Medeival and fail you most likely wont get back into the game.

Another stupid mistake would be to neglect to build a tower at your capital early on and they hit ya with a delayed rush... game over.

Not getting defenses vs raids in time (towers on wood spots) to continue booming in ancient.

A lot of things can cost ya the game even if you have the advantage.

TheGoodEvil
Why would you raid? If your raiding fails, what do you do to try and recover?

TWC_ShaDowZ
The 2 reasons of classical raiding are usually to keep your enemy's wealth down so he cant get a lot of scholars + army to defend (archers mainly)

The second is to get the third city up first the moment I have the third city up and have the better map position I think raiding has succeeded.

If raiding however isn't succesful, its better to sit back for a while, get back in shape, and see how things turn out.

TheGoodEvil
Does that mean defensive booming or aggresive expansion or what?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Defensive booming if raiding fails.

Wouldnt be wise to expand and get more cities if you know you'r behind economicly

TheGoodEvil
If you had to choose a civ in 1v1 excluding Spain and Maya what would you choose and why?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Germans most likely. They get fast Classical for strong raiding, very good booming civ, very strong late game and strong unique units.

TheGoodEvil
Not French or China? Those are supposed to be the top dogs. you say Germany is better?

TWC_ShaDowZ
They may not be better for other people, but they suit my style of play better.

TheGoodEvil
How would you describe your style of play?

TWC_ShaDowZ
I think I'm unpredictable and very agressive most of the times.

Im agressive because I know I have good micro and the best way to make use of that is early on where every units cost is still pretty high where later on it becomes more of spamming wars and strategic play.

TheGoodEvil
Ok now some folks don't know so can you define "good micro" and why would that effect your game?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Good micro is always having your units attacking their counters and making good use of their special ability's. It's very hard to learn but oh so important and it can make you win battles with half the army.

Like in medeival skirmishes I always keep my archers in front with my pikes just behind and my cavs at a side, the archers on attack move keep getting free shots on units and run a bit behind when the cavs attack them so your pikes can kill them keep making that movemenet can do wonders.

It isnt as important in RoN as in other RTS games but still a dominating factor.

TheGoodEvil
So by moving your troops a certain way you can gain tactical advantage?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Definatly, dont forget the flanking bonuses you can also get when attacking units from the side/rear. For this it can also be smart to split up your cavalry in to two groups so one can lure the pikes away while the other murder his ranged troops.

TheGoodEvil
You were recently voted "Best Player" in all of RoN how does that make a player feel?

TWC_ShaDowZ
It ofcourse feels awesome when people think of you as the best player, I just hope to continue that line in the xpack. Most of the xpert crowd however is very close in skill these days, I'm sure that if I lost the final vs TuF_Astator you would be asking him this question.

TheGoodEvil
Any more tips for the viewers before we end this?

TWC_ShaDowZ
Just the basic stuff, make sure you know all the units and their counters. Watch records of good players and practice. Understanding the game and making a plan in the game and sticking to it is very important! The moment you see what map it is and what your civ is and you find out what the enemy's civ is you should know what to do to win the game. The most important thing however is to have fun .

TheGoodEvil
Thanks for your time and knowledge!

TWC_ShaDowZ
Your welcome.

TGE

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 04-10-2004 @ 01:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-10-04 11:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
please feel free to comment or ask questions.

TGE

posted 04-11-04 00:08 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8  

" The most important thing however is to have fun ."

..... best comment in the interview. Great to see the experts with that attitude.

posted 04-11-04 05:10 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
interesting , well done TheGoodEvil , whos next?

Proud member of ElitE!
Gamespy: [ElitE]_[T]uFNuF
Clan: ElitE
Hobbies: Call Of Duty: UO / Thrones and Patriots / MoH : PA
posted 04-11-04 03:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
well i have been trying to get in touch with PCA_Frogman and TuF_Astator if i can't get them by april 14 i will move into the minds of Graham Somers and Brian Reynolds. however i would really like this to be a series on the players first then the BHG guys second.

i hope you guys are enjoying the interviews so far and when it's time for Brian and Thunder i know you guys will enjoy it

if anyone can get in touch with Astator or frogman please have them get in touch with me via IM or Email @ bn110_27@msn.com

thanks,
TGE

posted 04-13-04 04:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
can you recommend any good recorded games with shadowz or any of the other guys you mentioned in them? i'm always looking for good replays.
posted 04-13-04 04:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
posted 04-13-04 10:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Whoa... those are good games.

I think I will study those for a while, it will definatley help my game. Probably not enough to be like those guys though .

-Rogan

posted 04-14-04 02:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Man, I'd love to see those replays but the site won't email me my password (link doesn't work). Oh well.

EDIT: Got it working, thanks.

[This message has been edited by Tater33 (edited 04-14-2004 @ 03:11 AM).]

Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion » Interview with TWC_ShaDowZ!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames