You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN General Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ideas for Site Renovation
posted 04-30-12 10:23 AM EDT (US)   
This is the official forum for renovating the site. I know everyone has ideas scattered across the forums, but for the HeavenGames team (such as myself), we would like all the requests for renovation for the site here.

So any ideas are welcome, and they will be worked on accordingly

Pimp approved, master class!
Replies:
posted 04-30-12 10:37 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
I think Navigation needs to be changed could be something as small as 4-6 main buttons along the top such as
"Home" "Downloads" "News" "Forums" "FQA" "Community" from there we could have navigation that stems from those pages and remove the side bar altogether or simply add them and leave the side bar for more precise links.

Also perhaps the odd news update show casing the best mods that we have all played.

Also i think it needs to feel more symmetrical as it kind of trails off to the right (in my opinion any way) Maybe a border system and a generally simplification of the navigation. I have a fair amount of experience with making and editing websites so if im happy to help if you need any.

Maybe some one should go through "The community is just not that inviting." and compile the ideas we had from there, i would but im going to be asleep for the next 12 hours

ALSO a new background image for the forums!

'Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks.' Churchill

[This message has been edited by do_i_ob (edited 04-30-2012 @ 10:37 AM).]

posted 04-30-12 08:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
Here is my list from the
'scale down' thread:
1. Updated news, so the site doesn't look dead. A good way to do this is monthly mod spotlights, if it's too much work you can ask regulars to write something and then just paste it in the news. I nearly left when I first came here because I thought the site was dead, luckily i checked out the forums
2. Different forum theme? Less old-looking, dull colours, should still make the text easy to read. A WW1/WW2 kind of theme with metal, explosions, and such would be great
3. I don't know if you can do this, but a PM system would be useful.
4. Thank button, allows you to thank someone for their post. Allowing users to make their favourite topics get more popularity. You could make it so you can only thank the OP. Downvoting shouldn't be included as it would be misused.
5. Remove some of the unused forum sections, good examples are ones with last posts back in 2011 or a few months ago. Some forum sections also no longer make sense, like BHG past and future game suggestions; as they don't look at it anyway and it is very very rarely used.

Come join us at Project Ressurection: http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/index.cgi
Rise from the ashes my fellow nations!
posted 05-01-12 02:49 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
- This site needs a new look. Personally, I don't think the current design is particularly bad, but as others have said, it looks too plain and too old. We can use some of the other Heavens as inspiration. I'm not so sure about a look based on the World Wars, because Rise of Nations covers much more than that.
- More news. I like going on a site and seeing it proudly display the latest news on its main page, but it's a bit awkward to see news from 2 years ago. The following are good ideas for news articles:
- WIP mod and scenario showcases
- 'Forgotten gems': showcasing some unknown but excellent scenarios and mods
- Any tournaments or competitions. Motter's Scenario Design Competition was a great idea for example and seems to have been a good way to boost the community.
- News, from local to Heavengames-wide. This could include major mod and scenario releases, new moderators (might be something good to put up now), etc.
- Polls
- More events. As I mentioned above, this could include competitions - another CTW Netcampaign perhaps? It would also be great to have online tournaments using mods and multiplayer scenarios.
- Updated stickying. There are some mod threads for example that should be stickied (World in Conflict, A Wrong Turn and the Modelling Help Thread).

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~
posted 05-01-12 11:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
Ok, great suggestions, and I will see what we can do out of those suggestions

As for news, apparently the NewsPro program that we use doesnt work anymore, and Im trying to see if we can get that fixed (since I tried to make a newspost yesterday).

I think that Ill have to contact my supervisors and see if the HeavenGames Tech Department can help fix that (among other outdated things on this site)

As for the ideas with threads, I can remove any old/unused/unnecessary forums (although I have a manual that says exactly what I can/cant do in deleting forums), so Ill get hat squared away soon

----------------------------------------------------

Also I just realized, some forums have good tips in them such as strategy. So What threads would you like to Keep that are pre-2011?

[This message has been edited by Pimp Masterflex (edited 05-02-2012 @ 11:08 AM).]

posted 05-02-12 08:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Hi! I'm The0996395, a resident oldfag. Been here since like 2010 or so. At any rate, pre-2011 war stories should not be deleted. I think a lot of them a quality, and give insight to the game.
posted 05-03-12 07:20 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
I actually like the "classic" style and look of Heavengames, each game's website has it's own character and feel to it. The only problem I would mention is the posting and editing format which can be time consuming when posting many hyperlinks, but this is a minor issue. However I can understand the points about the website looking too old for some.

I have been using the Simtropolis forum and have found their forum format to be easy and organized. So the IP Board and XenForo forums are pretty nice but it will cost money and take some time for the Heavengames team to upgrade and transfer content if they ever could do so.
posted 05-03-12 07:53 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
For a Color and Theme Renovation, we will be implementing more of a military theme. We are still testing various colors and themes (stuff that doesnt look awkward), so that will be implemented very soon

posted 05-07-12 09:23 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
Glad to hear it, PM. This is the premier site for Rise of Nations information, and I think anything that keeps this great game alive is a good thing! Thanks for your involvement and commitment!
posted 06-20-12 05:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Two forum sections, maybe is all that is needed. It will make far better use of the few posting here.
posted 06-24-12 02:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Well I did make a forum for a site design contest, if you guys would like to check that out for feedback on that (since I never got any), that would be great

posted 07-30-12 02:10 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
I think we should remove the dead links scattered about the site and update the gallery page by giving it a sharper look and perhaps add some updated pictures.

I'm a newer player so I haven't seen much of this site but from what I can see a few touch-ups would be good! A military theme for the forums sounds excellent.

Also, I'm unsure if the renovation is for the entire site or just the forums section. If anyone could clarify it'd be much appreciated
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion » Ideas for Site Renovation
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames