You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN General Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What would you like to see in a Rise of Nations re-release?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-05-13 05:58 PM EDT (US)   
As reported here and here, the rights to Rise of Nations are up for sale this month which you can also read about here and here.

Another game Rise of Nations: Tactics was also discovered for the auction, it was finished but unreleased.

So this might mean RON will be re-released on Steam, Gog, or some other way. It could be a simple re-release or maybe some people will be hired to add some things to the game which would be cool if they did that. If they read these and other forums there is interest and talent among the modders and players of this game so spreading the word around and contacting whoever buys the rights might help to get something done besides a simple re-release like Age of Empires 2 HD which was largely already done with the fanmade Age of Forgotten Empires.

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to make a thread for anybody who wants to post their ideas and requests for an improved, expanded, etc Rise of Nations here if you're interested. Feel free to get as detailed as you want - again, if the people who buy the rights see there's some interest then maybe they might pay attention, so it's worth a try and all in good fun at least.

There have been similar posts scattered in various topics so searching and copy and pasting any relevant ideas can be done also.

I've also posted a similar thread for Rise of Legends here.

So what would you like to see in a Rise of Nations re-release?

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 12-05-2013 @ 06:06 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-05-13 07:48 PM EDT (US)     1 / 43  
In terms of actual gameplay, I would like the re-release to be relatively simple, providing updates and addons to the original game such as new terrains, new campaigns, new factions and possibly new map types.

My main interests with this re-release are really to do with modding. I would want it to retain full mod-folder support like the current game, but also remove previous hardcoded unit, building, tech, map and faction limits so that there is more modders can do with the game. It would be great if modders could also create new tech and faction bonuses rather than having to use the current ones

Also, that's interesting news about Rise of Nations: Tactics, though as an IOS game I doubt it would really be that great.

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~
posted 12-05-13 10:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 43  
I think I'll be expecting more giving more compatibility to modders like what super had said - remove unit, building and faction limits. Also focus more variety on different types of buildings (Commercial Airport, Industrial Port, Housings, etc.)
posted 12-05-13 11:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 43  
What effect would those buildings have on gameplay?

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~
posted 12-06-13 01:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 43  
Maybe some more buildings with techs, units, options - like instead of launching a nuclear missle there could be a building that launches a satellite rocket which will give you a complete view of the map. You would have to build the building, have the resources to research and launch the satellite and get the view of the map. Maybe this can be modded in already?

Either way it seems both Ron and Rol have hardcoded things that need to be freed up for these games to enable more creativity. It's been 10 years so maybe the auction winners will take this into consideration.

There's a lot of ideas in the Project Resurrection thread also.
posted 12-06-13 05:22 AM EDT (US)     5 / 43  
i don't think this re-release will happen -_-

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

Rise Of Nation Thrones And Patriots "Official" Site / Online patch
posted 12-06-13 02:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 43  
One can always hope, right?

posted 12-07-13 10:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 43  
hope is a huge bi tch

posted 12-12-13 09:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 43  
Hoping can only get you so far.

The road goes ever on and on..
posted 12-13-13 02:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 43  
I think a re-release would just fix some of the bugs the game encounters on newer operating systems.

I would like most for it to have steamworkshop support, easy to find, install and update mods would be neato.

Edit: If I could have exactly what I wanted:
I would have different types of each "unit class" So heavy artillery and light artillery. They both do the same job but heavy artillery is slow, long range and takes longer to aim.

I would have generals having some kind of learning or special abilities. So a general who stucks around a bunch of dug in troops would eventually get bonuses for dug in troops and possibly pentalties.

Naming of generals and ships.

A light enlightenment/early industrial. It irks me that suddently everyone gets tanks, glass skyscrapers and metal buildings everywhere. IT would have building sets from enlightenment, airport with biplanes/blimps, horses as well as armoured cars, more artillery and riflemen, possibly with different uniforms.

Most of that stuff could be done in a mod anyway.

[This message has been edited by mdeceiver79 (edited 12-13-2013 @ 02:27 AM).]

posted 12-13-13 08:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 43  
instead hoping and barking, start playing online!!!

posted 12-18-13 09:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 43  
News update here - The rights to Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends were bought in the auction. No details yet but here's a quote: "Several properties actually were sold, however, including the Big Huge Games trademark, Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends and associated IP."
posted 12-19-13 12:46 PM EDT (US)     12 / 43  
yay

posted 12-19-13 12:55 PM EDT (US)     13 / 43  
Better not be EA.
posted 12-22-13 06:39 PM EDT (US)     14 / 43  
Hah if EA got it. DLC content: Buy american nation for $10

Sorry the game is too complex to mod (they pulled this stunt with generals before it got axed)

Requires internet connection to play CTW
posted 12-22-13 11:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 43  
DLC content: Buy american nation for $10
Well that did pretty much happen with the original RoN, given that you needed to get T&P to have the Americans. Of course, T&P had lots of other additions as well so it was much better than a DLC, but I still find it ironic.

[This message has been edited by Super7700 (edited 12-23-2013 @ 03:00 AM).]

posted 12-23-13 05:04 AM EDT (US)     16 / 43  
It will never happen (of course I can wish and hope).

I'd definitely like to see more supporting for modding in Rise of Nations and similar games, just fix a few of the annoyances of the past games,

[This message has been edited by Riseens (edited 01-08-2014 @ 09:59 AM).]

posted 12-24-13 04:49 PM EDT (US)     17 / 43  
Thrilled someone is taking an interest in this gem (RoN). Sign me up to buy the next edition. I'd like to have an option to keep playing and not always be kicked out after victory conditions are met. I hope the next version is much more similar to RoN T&P not RoL which sucked. If you want a touch of fantasy, add options for mercenary dwaves, orcs, trolls, elves, hobbit, dragon and wizard units as options in with the historical military unit types. Consider expanding building and research opportunities. Test the game thoroughly before releasing. Again, thanks for investing in this.
posted 12-24-13 06:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 43  
bla bla bla, alot of bla, even more bla

did anyone of you ever played online at all?!?! -___-'

posted 12-24-13 06:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 43  
I'm not competative. I like narrative and "roleplay" slow games, minimising losses and turtling.

Online is just about rushing and crunching the opponent. I don't enjoy that kind of game.
posted 12-25-13 04:33 AM EDT (US)     20 / 43  
this is not true, there are hundred types of gameplay, not all are fast lol

posted 12-25-13 04:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 43  
Steve2, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but there is a script you can use in quick battles that will only give you victory when you kill all the enemy units and buildings. You can get it here.

posted 12-27-13 05:38 PM EDT (US)     22 / 43  
multiplayer with good matchmaking and netcode and integrated voice chat (with teammates)

and if the developers know what they're doing, some balance improvements for various nations

it's interesting that you brought up Age of Empires 2 HD. that had (and still has) completely clueless amateurs involved with literally every aspect of porting it.
that thing was a disaster. I hope RoN doesn't share its fate
posted 12-28-13 10:13 AM EDT (US)     23 / 43  
Interesting news. If they re-releases Rise of Nations with new content then they should seriously consider fixing the netcode, too. The 1 sec input delay for units to move on a LAN connection is totally bullocks.
posted 12-28-13 10:51 AM EDT (US)     24 / 43  
i would like to see new buildings like hospitals and new map style like those hills of Guilin

[This message has been edited by Thenextavatar (edited 12-28-2013 @ 10:58 PM).]

posted 01-02-14 04:07 PM EDT (US)     25 / 43  
Okay well I have been waiting for this moment for the past few years.

Firstly, the big one for me is multiplayer ctw's, that would just be amazing. Available for entire world map and potentially other maps that allow multiple nations such as new world.

Other new campaigns including an updated entire world map which has the option of enabling/disabling nukes and spies (new feature allowing to gain bonuses to territories that you invade) at campaigns start; a Mediterranean campaign featuring Egypt, Rome, Greece and Carthage which starts in classical age and ends in medieval age and features real life battles, and possibly a ww2 campaign.

Secondly new nations: Carthaginians, Arabians, Portuguese, Australians, Vikings and Vietnamese. I have spent hours thinking of and creating nation powers for these and if requested I will post them up. Uu's I was a bit unsure of though, I came up with some units,but not too many.

Thirdly, new wonders. The ones I thought of were: the Parthenon, Library of Alexandria and the Basilica. I will post up the bonuses and costs associated with them if requested too.

And lastly, a new unit: paratroopers. They will work in a similar way to an aircraft carrier with a Paratrooper plane unit being purchased at an airbase which comes with paratrooper infantry units garrisoned inside. They will be weaker and less armored then normal infantry, but faster.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion » What would you like to see in a Rise of Nations re-release?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames