You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Big Huge Exporter - Model Converter for Rise of Nations
posted 07-18-03 05:34 AM EDT (US)   
For all you aspiring unit modders, here is your chance to go beyond skin mods and change the models themselves. This exporting tool allows you to convert 3DSMax models into Bh3 format used in Rise of Nations. The zip file includes the exporter, some basic models (archer, riflemen, churchill tank, elite light cavalry) for you to start from, and a short guide/tutorial on modeling units for Rise of Nations. You will unfortunately need to get your own copy of 3D Studio Max (as the exporter does not work with the free version Gmax). But if you get a hold of 3DSMax, you can find the exporter here:

http://www.bighugegames.com/ron_downloads.shtml!

Also you will need to convert the appropriate skins into png format and put it in a path for 3DSMax to render the skins onto the sample models

*Fixed broken link.
-Crue Knight

[This message has been edited by Crue Knight (edited 12-17-2009 @ 11:04 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-18-03 09:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
ODA, do you own 3D Studio Max?

Some say "When life throws you a lemon, make lemonade."
I say, "When life throws you a lemon, wing it right back and add a few lemons of your own."
posted 07-18-03 06:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
Has anyone tried the exporter yet? please email or post here.
posted 07-18-03 09:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
I will give it a try tonight if I get time. This is cool I loved modding UT2K3. I hope that there will be a way to open the existing files so you can change them around. I will make my own but it is fun to change things around from the existing files because it is so much faster and I tend to be a little lazy. I will let yall know what it's like after I play with it some. It did not list version compatability but I will try it with 4 and 5 and let yall know. Hey BHG guys how about giving us some of the original .max files to play around with.
posted 07-19-03 10:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
"DLL <C:\3dsmax4\plugins\RTSexport.dle> failed to initialize"

Anyone else had this problem? any support for this at BHG? or does anyone know how to fix it here?

posted 07-20-03 01:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
yes i have heard others having that problem with the exporter too

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 07-20-2003 @ 02:03 AM).]

posted 07-21-03 05:51 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
i wonder if there's a chance for a standalone exporter?
posted 07-22-03 03:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
Worked just fine for me...

I made up a goofy little animation from a motion capture file I had laying around. I haven't plugged it in to see if it works, but it should. Here is the file if anyone would like to try. Be sure to make a backup of the origional version.

Dancing Rifleman - 157KB

Its kind of long... but it shouldn't hurt anything. Thanks Big Huge Games, this should be a really fun tool for the modding community

posted 07-22-03 04:18 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
cool animation dood...
glad someone got it to work...would u be willing to convert models for people? and what version of 3dsmax do u have?

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 07-22-2003 @ 05:33 AM).]

posted 07-22-03 04:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
I use 3d max R5.1 and yeah, it worked pretty slick. I suspect that the files that came with the plugin were from versions 4.0, 4.2, or 5.0 because when I opened the file it said that the version was obsolete and that I should resave it... which is the same window that always pops up with my old R4 max files. Plus, if they saved the file in the R5 max file, then the R4 users couldn't open it. It should work fine for everyone who has a LEGAL version of 3dmax. Warez copies of the program always have glitches in them, such as plugins not working correctly all the time.

If you still have problems, I would suggest getting the latest updates for your software:

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/

About the converting of the models... I just don't have time to do that. I took a quick glance over the help files that came with the plugin and they seemed to be really good. At least enough to have the basics down. Doing a custom unit will take time! In addition to making you mesh, you have to unwrap the mesh, make the texture, add the physique modifier, then animate it! It just takes time...

This is for Max v2 (and a different game), but the basics and fundimentals are the same. It is a pretty good tutorial on the whole process.

http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2models/tuto.htm

This is my most favorite site for just general tutorials with 3d max.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/tutorialsmax.asp

And of course the tutorials that come with the help files on your 3dmax cd are excellent.

I find it curiously odd why they didn't make this tool for gmax, because this is exactly the sort of thing gmax was made for.

posted 07-22-03 08:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
well lets hope they make an exporter for gmax, cause a lot of people otherwise wanting to make new models for RoN are cut off from it. 3DSMax isnt exactly cheap.
posted 07-23-03 12:00 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
I have the exporter working in 5.1 SP1 without a problem. I still have not tried 4, have not had the time to install it. A lot of gmax and 3ds max are the same but a lot is different and that is on purpose. I am not sure but I bet BHG would have to rewrite the exporter to work with gmax. Wijitmaker, I like total but have ya looked at http://www.3dbuzz.com / cool site.
posted 07-23-03 07:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
yes i posted about 3dbuzz on thew unooficial modding faq thread
posted 07-25-03 02:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
anyone willing to export models (given someone like me provide u with a max model?), it wont take much of your time other then to load up the model and export it which would take like 2 seconds and email time. Plus it wont be many since models do take time to do so and not that many will be capable of doing models anyways so...if u're willing to help in this regard. let me know. Thanks

I am thinking of doing some airplane and tank models possibly ships.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 07-25-2003 @ 02:35 AM).]

posted 07-25-03 08:53 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
If I was given the max files, I could export them in the smd format. Sorry I guess I misuderstood your question the first time. I thought I had to create, texture, bone, animate the mesh. I don't have time for that, but like you say, it would only take 2 seconds to load the file and export it... then email it back. I could do that

jason@0ad.wildfiregames.com

posted 07-25-03 10:53 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
cool..

hehe well come on i would ask u to do the modelling and every thing! :P

posted 08-23-03 06:25 AM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
that sucks. hopefully they release a version for gmax. if they don't, they won't have much of a modding community.
posted 08-23-03 09:55 AM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
The reason is BHG use the Physique modifier which isn't on gmax.

I can try and make it work on Gmax up i can't promise anything

posted 12-17-09 01:10 AM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
Isn't there a download for this file on this site?
posted 12-17-09 06:04 AM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
posted 12-17-09 11:02 AM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
Yeah that link doesn't work...
Let me fix that.

Here is the current link:
http://www.bighugegames.com/ron_downloads.shtml

¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸EPIC MOD „ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨ IS EPIC!``°º¤ø„¸?
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º
Ex mod on: Spore - HG - RoN - RoL - N:TW
Check out my: DeviantArt - Steam
posted 12-17-09 01:22 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
Is there any place where I can upload the RoN Mac Installer? Often, the disk gets scratched (at least in my case, this has happened numerous times) and its impossible to download the installer onto the computer.
posted 02-26-12 05:02 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
Whenever I load 3ds max 5 it says that max nif tools could not find a valid id, and that 3dsmax/plugins/RTSexport> failed to initialize. When I try to export a model, there is no option for making a .bh3 file.
posted 02-26-12 11:11 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
I´ve followed that instuctions and it works fine for me...check it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIS_qpsYN_w&list=UUVz2QWlWXlC1F1NxAOARsyQ&index=9&feature=plcp

Note: I have WinXp, i don´t know if it will work equals in the newet versions.
Greets!

[This message has been edited by JeluArg (edited 02-26-2012 @ 11:12 PM).]

posted 02-28-12 09:36 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
I have Windows 7 (XP still rocks). I have been following the video tutorial you mentioned already. I have re-installed 3ds max 5 and attempted to follow everything he said. But when it comes to exporting a model, the exporter plug in for .bh3 files is not recognized, and does not function.
posted 02-28-12 10:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
Yeah XP roxx!! look at the modelling help thread, other users had troubles with 3ds max 5 in Win7...may be you should try to make a partition with xP.
Greets man! i hope you can solve your issue
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Big Huge Exporter - Model Converter for Rise of Nations
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames