You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Steam Workshop support for Rise of Nations EX
posted 08-22-14 12:54 PM EDT (US)   
Hi everyone, I'm in the final stage of implementing the Mod Manager for Rise of Nations. It's going to work nearly identically to the Age of Mythology EX version, but now we need to start testing this internally in preparation for release. On 8/21/2014, we released a first phase of the mod manager that allows scenarios and replays. But the version we're testing is significantly different including the UI (the full Myth way).

But to make the experience as good as possible, I'm looking for a diverse set of mods from the Rise of Nations original that touch all the possible bases so we can test them and make sure they work properly. What we understand now as the types of things we'll be able to mod:

1. Game Data: Textures, XML, various game files.
2. Game specific Mods. Rise of Nations had a drop down box that allows you to activate a mod for a single game session when creating games.
3. Scenarios
4. Replays
5. Saves

What else might there be?

Again, we're following the methodology of keeping all modded files isolated from the main game data -- so everything will live in the mods folders, with subdirectories representing every mod you have installed. You'll be able to enable/disable, change priorities, and unsubscribe. Publishing and updating will be automatically determined as well, keeping publishing very easy.

So does anyone want to help by listing out some of the best and favorite original Rise mods? I'm looking for diversity over quantity. Thanks all!

Also, are there any issues that I need to be aware of that trigger game desyncs due to mods or cheating?

[This message has been edited by morness (edited 08-22-2014 @ 12:58 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-28-14 04:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Hi morness,
some mods need to replace some original game file as RON is loading sounds and icons when it starts.
So if you wanna have new sounds for a mod you'll need to modify the "soundfiles.xml" file in RON "data" folder.
Of course the new sounds are enabled just by the mod using them and it can be done adding entries at the end of the file without changing original settings.
For new icons it can be done in two ways without touching original game icons: adding new ones at the end of the 3 existing files (iface_units_01, iface_units_02 and iface_units_03) or creating new table and enabling them in "interface.xml" file with new numbers (eg. iface_units_04, iface_units_05 etc.).
These solutions don't work if you just put the new files in your mod "data" folder.
I think it would be a great thing if you can find the way to have icons and sounds working for every mod installed without any conflict.

Greetings,
Nikox
posted 12-11-14 11:41 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Hi,

I play RON from almost the beginner... Not sure if it's the place to ask this but I want to know if possible to...
1- Allow bigger maps (Yes I want bigger!)
2- Allow walls (Why not! with bigger map!)
3- Create a mods that allow to change age only after pre determined time. Example: If I put 20 min, we wait 20 min before players can change age. It's be nice to enjoy a long game and have the time to attack with first age units.

Thanks

E-mail me at my junk mail adress: lombric_86@hotmail.com
posted 12-17-14 04:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Yes you can change the size of the map see HERE

Yes you can add walls but that means 3d modelling and such Though I'm not sure why you'd want them because they aren't feasible with planes and the gunpowder weapons from that age onwards.

Not sure about the last one, but you might be able to make a script for that which isn't modding.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 03-24-15 09:26 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
About the last one:

I want to enjoy more time in each age. I want to set a timer before i can reach the other age.

Player can reach next age after a pretederminated time.

So if I put 15 min for each age, players cannot reach next age before 15 min.
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Steam Workshop support for Rise of Nations EX
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames