You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Tech Support

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: MSI - MSXML 4.0 Not installed -- FIXED
posted 07-05-05 12:33 PM EDT (US)   
I am not a stranger to the RoN tech forums. No problem of mine has ever been fixed without buying a new video card or reformatting the computer, so I hope I am forgiven for sounding too pessimistic.

I decide to run RoN again after my computer lost all it's registry information. After reinstalling both the original and the expansion, I tried to run the game, and this is where problems start.

It tells me that MSXML 4.0 is not properly installed, and there is nothing I can do about it. I know that you should double-click the msxmlenu.msi file on the CD, but - oh joy - it has no file association. I cannot access it at all. I open it in word and there is no helpful information, and I try to run it as a programme and it just freezes the computer.

A little help, please?

Replies:
posted 07-05-05 07:52 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
The msi extension should be associated with "windows installer" and the association sometimes gets lost.

You can download a fix for that here

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

It may be that your whole windows installer is corrupted, I recall there is a way to repair that, let me know if you need that and I'll have a dig around.

posted 07-06-05 12:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Thank you very much for your reply, but I opened the registry file as required and I came upon the following message...

Cannot import C:\MSI1.REG: The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files.

I am unsure whether my windows installer is corrupt - because when I try and run the windows installer exe (from the Microsoft Database), I get told that "this service is already installed" or something along those lines.

Edit: I think the reason my computer doesn't recognise the registry file is because I run 98SE rather than XP. I should have checked this, but do you know if there are similar versions for 98?

[This message has been edited by Wu Su Zheng (edited 07-06-2005 @ 12:21 PM).]

posted 07-06-05 05:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
Yes, the reg fix fails because it is an XP file.

Maybe simplest to just install an update for the Windows Installer, that should put everything right.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB76 8148F

(you may have to copy this address to the browser address bar as links to microsoft tend not to work from these forums)

[This message has been edited by War (edited 07-06-2005 @ 05:21 PM).]

posted 07-06-05 05:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
I copied the whole thing and it says the requested download is unavailable. Could it be the forum formatting?
posted 07-06-05 06:50 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
posted 07-07-05 02:32 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
Ah yes - this is the file that I tried running before. It tells me that the service is already installed and I can't find a way to reinstall it (what would it be called in the add/remove software panel)?

Thanks for the help so far. If I can get windows installer running it should be the end of this problem.

posted 07-07-05 03:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
try running it directly

Start/Run... then enter

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "D:\redist\MSXMLENU.MSI"

(or is it system32 for Win98? can't recall, assumes D: is your CD)

You could also try adding the .msi as a file type yourself manually in explorter>>tools>>options

Add a file type for msi extensions and use the following to associate it with an install action

"C:\WINDOWS\System\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*

(or system32 depending where it lives on 98)

And check use DDE

posted 07-08-05 11:25 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
In 98, Windows Installer is located in the 'System' folder. I tried setting up the file associations in explorer using

Quote:

Action: Install

Application used to perform action: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msiexec.exe

I was unsure about the following " /i "%1" %*" so I didn't include them - I imagine this is why I still cannot run the MSI files.

Instead, when I click on them, it will open a small window with the title "Windows Installer" with the copyright information and "Incorrect command line parameters". Would this be why it hasn't installed the file?

[This message has been edited by Wu Su Zheng (edited 07-08-2005 @ 11:28 AM).]

posted 07-08-05 02:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
yes

/i is the command line parameter to install. You could use /package iirc

The %1 is the parameter list so you can pass filenames to it for the association to work.

posted 07-08-05 02:55 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
The MSI soon associated itself as a Windows Installer Package . However, when I attempt to install I am told...

"This advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user-interface option of the package to basic."

Cheers for the help so far. Do you know anything about this?

[This message has been edited by Wu Su Zheng (edited 07-08-2005 @ 02:58 PM).]

posted 07-08-05 05:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
Ah, closer, seems that you have an incomplete deployment of to package.

Here are a few things to try.

1) Go to control panel and add/remove programs. If you see the MSXML 4.0 parser listed, try to remove it and try the install again.

2) May not be applicable but right-click properties on the msi package and click teh deployment tab if there is one (there may not be), set it to basic there.

3) Try this command line to access basic interface:
"C:\WINDOWS\System\msiexec.exe" /qb /i "D:\redist\MSXMLENU.MSI"

(not sure if you need the /i as well as the /qb)

4) Try repairing the package:
"C:\WINDOWS\System\msiexec.exe" /fa "D:\redist\MSXMLENU.MSI"

[This message has been edited by War (edited 07-08-2005 @ 05:06 PM).]

posted 07-09-05 07:23 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
The command line you suggested installed the package without any problems. Thank you very much for your help and patience.
posted 07-09-05 07:43 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Glad I could help
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Tech Support » MSI - MSXML 4.0 Not installed -- FIXED
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames