You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Interview with Gigi!
posted 05-15-04 07:01 PM EDT (US)   
This is the guy that can recite (at will) just about everything about RoN from unit stats to research prices, he is also one of the trickiest and infamous people in the RoN community.

I suggest everyone listen to what he has to say!

TheGoodEvil
What is the most effective ancient raiding? units, time frame, civ as well

Gigi
What do you consider effective? Keeping the enemies attention or causing as much havoc as possible?

I think Persians,Bantu and Iroquois are the best Ancient raiders since they have bonuses (ranged Heavy Infantry, faster speed, faster in friendly territory and extra hp) for the raiding itself and bonuses which helps them keeping pace economically (50% more food and cheaper civ research,cheaper cities and many ruins)

Nations like Brits (free archers), Aztecs (free UU Light Infantry and kill bonus),Turks (early food bonus and cheaper mil) are good ancient raiders as well

As raider units itself i would go for an archer first since he is
a) ranged
b) has insane los (ruins...)
with an slinger or hi coming next

Not to say that the 50 wealth for first archer suits very well, next one would cost 51 so you need some wealth source for that (if you have none archers are hard to get)

Romans of course make good ancient raiders as well, and Americans since they can get science2 very fast (only one ruin) and get +3 resources each per barracks unit (which is of course minor at the beginning but one thing which makes it more attractive).

TheGoodEvil
What if you're against Spain or Iroquois and get few ruins and your raid isn't very effective, how do you recover from that?

Gigi
which nation am i? how do i feel? which rare in my territory did i discovered? which does he have? which map? who is the enemy? How do resources spots look and is he now actually Spanish or Iroquois? Which size is the map? What are the settings?

TheGoodEvil
OK you have the "papyrus" rare resource, good starting wood spot (5) and you are Aztec, he is Iroquois has gems and a (4) wood spot Old World map, standard rated setts

Gigi
I wouldn't do Ancient Raiding with those setting.

Gigi
First off Iroquois have a great start, good defensive capabilities and a strong enlightenment age, since he got more ruins and gems he can border push while affording an bigger army

However I have papyrus which gives me an big help to reach Gunpowder, his big borders (with him being able to move in there for healing/hiding) makes him dangerous.

I would go for straight defensive game play reaching Gunpowder asap, doing barracks spamming and match him off while I attempt to sneak and breakthrough raid.
(sneak is raid while occupying him in some big army fight via minimap,breakthrough raid is moving an unit while fighting fast to a resource/rare spot and raid there)

I would try to wear him down and would pay very close attention in Enlightenment, in Industrial/Modern I would use my strong late game to turn the tide and finally kill him sooner or later.

TheGoodEvil
what is your ideal classic raid, units time?

Gigi
Hmm good question, i rarely look at the timer so i don't have a good feeling on what I'm doing and when.

The normal sending in of Horse Archer, Heavy Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry is a bit too overused since most players prepare proper raid defenses, and when being alone your raiders are more likely to be killed.

I'm more the fan of grouping some cavalry units with the Despot Patriot and try to kill as much as possible while trying to lose nothing. For example 2 Heavy Cavalry + 2 Horse Archers + Despot can wreak some serious havoc and is a lot harder to stop than one single Horse Archer / Heavy Cavalry

TheGoodEvil
what is proper raid defense in your opinion?

Gigi
IMO Light Cavalry is the best raid defense cause of their speed, they work fine against Horse Archers however against Heavy Cavalry you need 2 or 3 Light Cavalry gangbanging him while micromanaging so that the Heavy Cavalry doesn't kill one of your Light Cavalry.

TheGoodEvil
How would you define your playstyle? Defensive booming, Aggressive...

Gigi
It depends on the enemy, I just try to do what I think I need to do in order to win.

TheGoodEvil
Is there a failsafe way to win?

Gigi
If i thought so i wouldn't play this game.

TheGoodEvil
Likes and dislikes on the new features in T&P?

Gigi
I like how they added the rating range in quickmatch, though its still small map.

The new improvements in the scripting language are cool as well, not to mention the now auto-downloadable scenarios and scripts.

I dislike how they nerfed Maya, its a bit too much and that they didn't buff Greeks

The patriots are a nice addition, though for example French lost a bit of their touch cause of them (free general/supply wagon...)

Same for governments though I rarely go for republic and democracy.

TheGoodEvil
Do governments play a major role in the game?

Gigi
Governments alone change the game quite a lot, not to mention the patriots and yes the choice of which gov. and when is an important factor (i still have to learn the gov costs by heart ).

TheGoodEvil
lol

TheGoodEvil
What are some of the things that go through your head while playing someone like TWC_ShaDowZ?

Gigi
Playing Shad and Frogman is a horror for me, my win/lose against those two is so horrible that i don't play normal vs them.

If I think about what to do in order to win I most often come to the conclusion that it would fail, so I fall into a state of defensive booming game play vs them which is dangerous against both of them.

TheGoodEvil
Well I just want to catch a drift on what your initial thoughts are, like your basic floor plan for your eventual strategy?

Gigi
I try to be flexible with my actions in game, I consider a lot of factors when playing in game (like rares, resources spots, nations, enemy, ruins etc.)

At the start of the game I first decide how I start (considering my nation and the map) I'm doing this on the loading up screen.

This however can be changed when I'm actually in game, mainly due to rares or resources spots (maybe rather going sci1-com1 instead of sci1-civ1 if there is a lake in start border and a 8 men wood spot?)

TheGoodEvil
Any tips for us noobs?

Gigi
Use your head, always. Know your enemy like you know yourself. Focus to win the game not to win a small battle in it. Look at minimap regularly. Try to surprise your enemy, be unpredictable and have fun.

Knowing the game is important as well if you want to become better.

TheGoodEvil
Well I'd like to thank you for your time and vast knowledge of RoN and T&P, you are by far one of the most learned persons in the game!

Gigi
Thank you

TGE

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 05-16-2004 @ 04:15 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-15-04 11:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
duuuuddeee....nobody should know the game that much. Nobody.Ever.
posted 05-15-04 11:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
if you want to compete with the best then you want to know absolutely everything, cause the best does!

TGE

Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack » Interview with Gigi!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames