You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Xpack Multiplayer - Out of Syncs
posted 06-09-04 06:37 PM EDT (US)   
If you are one of the players who is experiencing an increased number of multiplayer games that go out of sync (OOS), seemingly at random times through-out the course of games, we would appreciate your help in tracking down the cause. Here's how you can get involved:

1 - Edit your rise.ini (not your rise2.ini) so that "Allow Logs=1". Here is the path of the file you need to edit on my system as an example:

C:\Documents and Settings\gsomers\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\rise.ini

You need to edit the rise.ini file in the Documents and Settings folder, not the Rise of Nations game folder.

2 - Edit your gamelog.ini in the main Rise of Nations directory so that "Checksum Dump=1"

Then, go online and play some games with other players who have this logging turned on. Hopefully you can coordinate with other players here in the forum, or online, who are experiencing the same issues. If your game goes OOS, send us all of the files generated from within the "Logs" folders in these locations:

1 - The log folder in main Rise of Nations directory.

2 - The log folder in your documents and settings folder. Here is an example path:

C:\documents and settings\sjeff\application data\microsoft games\rise of nations\logs

Important: we need these logs from all players involved in a game that goes OOS.

Feel free to ping me for a game if you see me online: BHG_Thunder

Send logs or questions to: gsomers@bighugegames.com

Edit: Logs files get overwritten each time you play a game or watch a recording. Please send the logs as soon as you have an OOS, and before you start a new game.

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 06-11-2004 @ 10:30 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-09-04 07:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
Brilliant, this is more like it.

Can you confirm the changes to those file please?

I think it's "AllowLogs=1" (no spaces)
and "Checksum Dump=1" (as described) is a change from "-1" to "1"

If you get an oos and send the logs, should you clear the logs folder out ready for next game.

Can you also confirm that this will not cause any lag in game through logging and just change the behaviour of the program when there is an oos?

Finally, important one this, where/who do we send the logs to?

posted 06-10-04 04:26 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
It'd be nice if a lot of people could get involved in this. I've noticed a lot of OOS's lately, especially when I download a script and then try to play a normal game later. I usually have to delete the scripts so normal games won't go OOS.

If I remember correctly, you logs update after each game you play. So if an OOS occurs, place your logs in a different folder. For instance, a folder called, "1234 El_Capitan 6ppl"

Then tell the others you played with to name it, "1234 Joe_Schmoe 6ppl" That way, when BHG's gets the files, they can track it easily, who's file it was, and the total amount of people in the game to make sure all the files are accounted for.

posted 06-10-04 10:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
Can you confirm the changes to those file please?

I think it's "AllowLogs=1" (no spaces)
and "Checksum Dump=1" (as described) is a change from "-1" to "1"

The changes you listed are correct.

If you get an oos and send the logs, should you clear the logs folder out ready for next game.

No need to clear out the log files. They will be over-written when your next game/OOS occurs

Can you also confirm that this will not cause any lag in game through logging and just change the behaviour of the program when there is an oos?

Logging can cause a drop in performance, if a large amount of information is getting logged. With just these two settings on though, you shouldn't see a significant drop in performance.

Finally, important one this, where/who do we send the logs to?

Please send logs to me - gsomers@bighugegames.com

posted 06-10-04 03:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
I get them here and there, mainly a minute after starting the game that every gets, usually 3v3 or diplomacy. Same after a drop, replacing with AI, a OOS would appear afterwards sometimes

Porshe Rules!!
Sharks Rock!
RON rocks forever!!
posted 06-10-04 04:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
Roger that BHG glad to see you are taking active role is these annoying problems. I will sure send them over and make my friend send them too. What's funny is that I get them 1 second after the game loads but sending the saved file over never get it again until a new game is started.

Everyone participate in this so we can get a patch ASAP!!

posted 06-11-04 12:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
I have experienced this problem and found an easy 'solution' that seems to work.
I got the out of sync error frequently during online play. But only if I'd been playing a single player game before. So if I was playing single player I just close RoN and start it up again to play multiplayer via GameSpy. Seems like 95% of my out of sync errors happened for this reason.
Sometimes I still get an out of sync error immediately upon starting the game (even not having not played any single player) but it seems like it was different from the out of sync errors I got before which occured 3-8 minutes into a game.
Anyways, I'm not an expert in this area. But this could be something to try if you get these errors.
posted 06-30-04 10:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
out of synch errors happens when you try to load a trainer in a multiplayer game
posted 07-09-04 12:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
i haven't had this error for a long time already.
posted 07-26-04 05:36 AM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Iv'e found that the same thing as kAbt, and I assume that the other 5% of oos are because of someone else using single play mode.

I am LuNatic, Dark lord of the sif
~Fear Me Mortals~
[-GREEM-] Best. Clan. Ever.
posted 08-16-04 10:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
I play online every week. We always play cooperatively against the computer. We can avoid getting out of syncs by not playing sea maps. We never have problems with land maps only sea maps.
posted 10-08-04 00:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
just a note to say that i play against only 1 person so far.

i get out of sync almost (or even) every time we play a saved game (after player has timed out)

while playing the game further..it can go out of sync again.

the weird thing is watching the replay...

it plays out totally different that what actually transpires. eg..we win against computers...but in the replay..they take over everything.

i will see if i can capture some logs when thi shappens again.

posted 10-20-04 07:36 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
Today all my games go out of sync. It was 3 of them. 1 didn't started, I had to reset my computer. Great job BHG!
I wont question anymore where are the players from the multiplayer.
posted 10-21-04 12:43 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
The only times I've gotten OOS's are when one person in the game is dropping (and they can STILL chat with everyone in the drop screen while they are dropping) then after they drop the game either crashes back to gamespy or goes OOS. This happens OFTEN.

Is this the type of thing you want logged or are you talking about totally random OOS's?

[This message has been edited by WH_Valkyrie (edited 10-21-2004 @ 12:45 PM).]

posted 11-13-04 08:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
Will this work with the beta patch?
posted 11-15-04 02:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
I've had a few games lately where the games OOS'd. So I reloaded, played against the few remaining players, won the game but the game was listed as a loss on the unranked stats. Not that it makes any difference but though it was strange. Not sure reloading is the way to go anymore because it takes so long to restart and you're never sure who's going to be around when you finally get back in the game.

Probably would be best if some clan(s) set up games where they prepared for OOS logging.

posted 11-16-04 04:21 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
I had the same as Eyecare when I reloaded the games but victory every time when I didn't. Besides, after the patch I cannot really reload the game. I use to wait for a good while but then I have to terminate the game with alt-F4. So I don't bother anymore reloading them.

WHat is really strange is this: I had only one crazy day (Eyecare remember it too, I think) before the patch when I got OOS in every game played. I hadn't had any OOS after the patch until yesterday night. And it was again in every game played. I think 4 games in a row.

posted 11-20-04 11:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
LionTheTerrible, do you remember if you were playing against the same players ( at least 1) in those games when you got oos in a row?
posted 11-25-04 11:01 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
We have a group that gets together twice a month to play RON T&P and we all upgraded to the latest patch for our last game day. It was obvious the multiplayer was messed up from the previous version; many more OOS issues. I think of the 8 games started, we only completed one game.

In addition, I noticed one additional error. Using direct play multiplayer setup if you have people already using IP address to connect to the game and the game creator is just creating the game by pressing create, the creaters box has a 50/50 chance of locking up after the create button is pressed and not ever starting a game. The game creator is forced to reboot since the entire system seems to lock up.

-- TRuff63

posted 11-25-04 11:10 AM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
can you confirm noone in your group is using any no-cd cracks?
posted 11-25-04 01:44 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
How many times?

YES you can get OOS with full legit copies. The only thing we can't establish is the frequencey between all legit OOS and part crack OOS.

IMO the best way to stop the crack usage is to release a patch that doesn't require a cd check. These primative and deeply flawed security fudges do not work, as the current situation with RoN confirms. But just piss off the legitimate owners by having to degrade their legitimate media needlessly untill it fails, then you either force your customers to pay again of boot them forever from the game.

CD checking games FORCE piracy to happen. While CD checking exists there will always be a massive industry for cdcracks.

Pretty stupid of M$ and something they don't use on any of their own products.

"Error: No Disk found. Please insert your original Windows XP CD to boot into Windows" is not a message you are likely to see

posted 11-25-04 11:42 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
yes, i can confirm that all the players were using their original play CD to play the game with the latest patch and all the games were the non cracked version.

One thing to add is that we were in the atypical situation where 5 of us were playing behind a linksys router acting as the firewall and 2 additional players came in from outside that firewall over comcast and adelphia broadband cable.

In addition we had one computer player set on tough to have 4v4 random games. The router had all the necessary ports forwarded to the computer acting as the host and when it ran it ran pretty well except for the OOSs.

posted 11-26-04 06:13 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
btw, how did you confirm that? did you just ask them? maybe some of them are lying, who knows.
posted 11-29-04 08:22 AM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
Time to stop it with the constant posting regarding no cd cracks, this (imho) is deflecting from whatever the real issues are. There is much evidence to suggest that while this may cause problems is not the sole issue nor even the main issue. Constant harping on about cracks only gives BHG something to hide behind when they should be fixing it instead.
posted 11-29-04 02:56 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
It is NOT the NoCD crack.

It is patch 1, it sucks!

posted 11-30-04 02:39 AM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
The best thing to do quick is to roll back the last "bug fixes" patch.

As result : Less OOS and Russians are playable again.

I'd better wait for a real PATCH, than see the end of an excellent game. It is only a matter of weeks and BHG will see that the game has no more support from the online community.
I am so sorry I'd learned the game just before this stupid "patch" ruined its Multiplayer part. It is the purpose of the games nowadays - to play online! Give us a stable MP in gamespy! We don't need this psychotherapy in forums with promises BHG is not going to fulfull!!

posted 04-04-11 02:03 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
At least 400 of my games are OOS (8 for 4v4, 6 for 3v3). I will try these, but what can I do prevent exception err0rs ?
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack » Xpack Multiplayer - Out of Syncs
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames