Please login or register

Comments & Announcements
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Website Improvement Feedback
posted 08-02-17 01:21 AM EDT (US)   
RON Heaven has been online since 2002 for 15 years as of 2017.
Activity has fluctuated and the site is still active but slow, and the internet is constantly changing.
Here are some website design evolution timelines illustrating this point:

Web design history, a complete journey
Web Design Trends Infographic – On The Time Machine Through the Years 2004-2015
The History of Web Design Infographic

There are currently at least 10 main active places on the internet for this game, all with varying degrees of activity and features:

HG - Forum and Game Info (Threads have unlimited timespan)
Steam - Extended Edition Forum and Info
Mod Database - RON, TAP XP - File & Mod Downloads and Limited Mod Discussion
Reddit - Temporary Discussion (Threads archived after 6 months)
Wikia - Game Info
Wikipedia - Historical Info
Youtube - Streaming/Video Gameplay, Info and Limited Discussion
Twitch.tv - RON, RON:EE - Streaming/Video Gameplay
Discord - Online Multiplayer Gameplay Chat

...So the only proper forum for long-term serious discussion and projects is here at Heavengames and while it is an old site it is still functional and the only true "forum" available.
All the other current sites (except Steam) have limited discussions, some with time limits such as Reddit.

It's up to us players and modders to work on User Patches and revive the community. One problem is the game discussion is spread over 10 places.
As far as I am aware, even though the Heavengames site and forum is old, it is still functional and the only true forum available for both games.
All the other current sites (except Steam) are limited discussions, some with time limits such as Reddit.
It is probably more convenient to chat where you are (Youtube, online gaming) but detailed long term discussions and projects are probably better suited for forums.

That being said, there are long term plans to revamp both RON & ROL Heaven websites.
If you have some web development skills and free time to discuss ideas and/or volunteer to work on the site, please email me in my profile.
HG uses Zope, Dhtml, Html, CSS, PHP, Perl, Javascript, Jquery and Radiant on some sites.

Some recently made features on HG that I like is the AOE2 Units Table here and the ROL Files Types & Uses table here - it would be nice to see this type of data organization on all the rts game sites. What do you think?

If you have any suggestions for features, please post below.
If possible, please link to examples and other sites to illustrate your points easier.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 11-20-2018 @ 10:42 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-05-17 08:44 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
Features requested: More people and activity

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday

[This message has been edited by MrMew (edited 08-05-2017 @ 08:45 AM).]

posted 08-05-17 11:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
The unit table is a great one. Maybe have a way to organize/sort by the data as well. Perhaps I can make an excel sheet on this
posted 06-18-18 08:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
Sorry for the delay, the website is up and running but the activity is currently low.

Website staff are volunteers but there are long term plans to revamp both RON & ROL sites and forums, it will just take time to accomplish on a volunteer schedule.

If you have any suggestions or skills you can post in this thread below:

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 07-21-2018 @ 07:08 PM).]

Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Comments & Announcements » Website Improvement Feedback
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames