Please login or register

RoN General Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project Ressurection: RoN2
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
posted 04-22-12 09:08 PM EDT (US)   
The only solution to this dawning issue of the end of Rise Of Nations is that the aspiring members who are capable of coding buddy up and save the game by raising it to modern standards. This would also likely spark similar events in other dying communities accross the gaming industry and would be quite an achievment. The question is, do we still have enough capable people left to do this or will we have to learn?

Rise of nations, despite it's age is an amazing game with a unique taste to RTS. Simply upgrading the graphical qualities and injecting it with tons of new content would do the trick for a sequel. But to truly make it amazing is to keep the ideas and charm that it currently has and enter it into a new dynamic RTS game engine, one where the world is dynamic and both the key to your survival as well as the hidden adversary. What I mean is imagine pumpign RON into a game engine with the same tactics and such but with the added level of terrain control and manipulation.

I am suggesting that we convince BHG to give us permission to create a sequel, whether under their name or another is up to us. Since they lack the resources and commitment to do it yet we still have quite a lot of active modders here, we could use their talents; combine it, expand it and then create those ideas in a new game engine. Call upon your contacts, ask your friends for help, we need everyone

For now let us discuss ideas to increase it's potential, moments in history that should be highlighted(perhaps world war 1 trench wars could be one), and new intresting game mechanics and units. One of the game mechanics I suggested before was the ability to edit the terrain using certain structures or tools mid-game to your advantage. E.g. placing your city on a hill will give it a strategic advantage in a large plain. Another suggestion could be making the game 3 dimensional , with the same interface and structures but giving the ability to look at things at all angles.

Currently we're trying to save a dying game in vain, all your work and effort will be and likely is in vain as there are little players to enjoy it. The only way all that hard work could be noted and serve a purpose is if we were to combine all of them, combine the amazing features of various major(perhaps also minor) mods and inject them into a brand new engine. That would be working for a purpose, the purpose to resurrect the game as Rise Of Nations 2. A worthy sucessor created not by BHG but by the users themselves, filled with grand new features of countless creative minds one that shows what the community wants more then any game creating company can ever create as we are the community.

Popularity for the project will increase as we go along, most advertisment will go via word of mouth which means we need to give a good first impression. Other areas covererd include a project blog so everyone is informed about what's going on and perhaps teaser videos , maybe our own forums/website with more appealing styles.

Important:
After careful discussion and criticsm from several individuals I have decided to scale down the project in a way for it to be realisticly possible whilst still achieving what we want: do resurrect the community and expand the game to modern standards.
Thus we will be creating not a sequel, but an expansion pack. This will include tons of new units and such, as well as making the historicly accurate major mods work together. We will still ask BHG permission to edit the source and release the pack as an official community-created expansion pack.
Main targets include: More unit diversity and strategic types, Improved graphics and Models[optional, you can still use the old graphic models], Unlimited units and configuration, in-game mod interface(select, switch,download mods), and most of the ideas list below. Dynamic terrain and more terrain levels is debable, it could be achieve by having multiple maps serve as layers for one another and treating terrain as a traversable, destrucable CP controlled building.

Draft:

Here is a draft message to be sent to BHG, I need everyone's advice and help to improve it; make it more formal, add missing information, fix grammatical errors, etc. This first message will likely decide our fate so it's important
------------------------------------------------------------

Dear BigHugeGames,

We are the modders from the last remaining active community for one of the best RTS games ever made: Rise Of Nations. We - the loyal fans, followers, and modders whom have stayed with the game despite its age and halt in development - would like to ask permission from you 'BigHugeGames' to bring together the modders and community of Rise Of Nations in a community project to create an official expansion pack for Rise Of Nations.

We have all developed various ideas over the years that we feel would improve the game, and who else is better to know what the community wants than the community itself? The project will be a labour of love to resurrect the game, in order to encourage modders to join us in this venture we will need official support for this project from the initial creators themselves.

Currently, modders are modding to try and rescue a dying community, and this project is our effort to save it from the dustbin of history. We will also do our utmost best to make the process of porting Rise Of Nation mods to the expansion as simple and easy as possible as well as even blending certain ideas and features from major mods into the sequel itself.
We have already motivated a sizeable team, with another large quantity of people who await official approval before they join. This includes creators of several major mods including 'Rise Of Kings' and 'Wrong Turn' . Both of which serve as prime examples of what the community is capable of achieving.

We would also like to request that you share essential information we will require to tweak the engine to increase or removing units,techs,nations,buildings;limits. Thus allowing more modifiability, and otherwise there wouldn't be enough space for the content we wish to add. We will need a way to edit hard coded files to accomplish this.

The expansion pack will concentrate on being user and mod friendly, allowing more mod-ability and less limits. We already have a sizeable list of ideas for the expansion pack including seasons, more unit types, strategic opportunities, and map 'layers'; more is being added as time passes.

We are open to discuss any concerns you may have with this proposal. If you so wish, it could be released under Big Huge Games name, but all the people who will spend countless hours and time working on the project should be given full credit for its creation. The expansion pack will be free-ware, but in-order to use it they need to buy the main game thus it would be profitable to Big Huge Games.

We would be honoured to be given the opportunity to save this game, and such an opportunity would give all the hours that have already been spent on mods a purpose.
Sincerely,
Project Resurrection Coordinator -HindosIRLNAMEHERE)

Team Ressurection
(name debatable):
If you'd like to join in with this idea please say so in this format:
Name(forumname):
Timezone:
Skills:
Role:

The following roles are possible:
Texturer
Modeler
Coder(please specify what languages you know,you'll be editing and impriving the engine)
Scholar(writer, historian)

Currently we have the following people:
Key: [M]= minor skills, [G] best skill, Mcoding=modding, Pcoding=Programming
1. Hindos ([G]Organiser,[M]Modeler)
2. PimpMasterflex ([G]PCoding, [G] Scripting)
3. Super7700 ([G]Texturer, [M] Research/coding/model
editing)

Pondering team members(willing to join but not currently for various reasons);

1. ColonelMolotov([G]Modeling,[G]Textures,MCoding

If anyone knows a good way to contact BHG games, after we have put together our ideas please present it in the best way possible. Preferably someone who knows how gaming buisness work and such and has experience in pitching. Edit: I guess i'm doing it :P

Contact Team Members email:
1. Hindos : magmaorb@gmail.comcc

BHG/38 Studios Contacting Compliation:
I will use these contacts and attempt to initiate communication if our initial attempt failes.
Main:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bighugegames
Linked-In: www.linkedin.com/company/big-huge-games
Fax: 410.842.0047
Email: info@bighugegames.com
Twitter: twitter.com/#!/BigHugeGames
Individuals:
Lindsey: LmcQueeney@bighugegames.com
Pranas Pauliukonis: www.facebook.com/pranas.pauliukonis
Brian Reynolds: twitter.com/#!/zyngagamechief

Current ideas for RoN1 Expansion pack:

1. 3D world-hindos
2. Dynamic terrain-hindos
3. More ages, from the cave man to the first astronaut!
4. More historical accuracy (eg Praetorian Guards in the Classical Age, NOT the gunpowder Age)-Super7700
5. Nations are far more unique - more UUs and also most units for a nation should have a unique appearance.-Super7700
6. More potential for maps - people should be able to make their own random map scripts, terrain should have more variation (eg multiple terrain types available on maps). More eyecandy as well.-Super7700
7. Detailed cities with walls and bridges, maybe they can automatically grow as your population and income increases.-Super7700
8. Vehicles that can transport units!-Super7700
9. More terrain levels, underground, underwater, various plateau levels. The ability to climb mountains and hills. The ability to alter the terrain through units and structures to give yourself an advantage, you could even fill up the water and create an island!-hindos
10. Naturual hazards, e.g. naturual disasters, disease, animals, etc. The ability to use the ecology to your advantage-hindos
11. Transport constructions, train tracks and trains, bridges, various age tiers of train transport.
12. More defensive structures, walls(with visable archers when garrisoned), gates(open/closeable), diggable mounts and trenches(not the sandbag oddness), traps(e.g. pitfall, mines), and more-hindos
13. Multi-mod support, allows for multiple mods to run side by side. Also an in-game interface connected to an online database to download and install mods. You can also download and switch between mod packages of your own creation-hindos
14. Increase limits, modders can create more units, entities, and such -hindos
15, More unit variants, currently we have siege, infilitration, grunt, leader, ranged types for varying terrains of battle(ocean, air, land). We could also have medical units/facilities, sniping(long range unit-to-unit combat), suicide units, saboteurs(sabotage enemy defenses and economical structures), diggers(for trenches and terrain editing, fillers (for creating hills and higher terrain), and more.
16. More realistic zooming range, rather then have units the size of provinces battles should be more concentrated and maps larger and more realistic. This also means , more gameplay time
17. Seasons, winter, spring, autumn, and summer. Seasons have effect on crop yields and ground unit stats. i.e. snow slower, summer slower, spirng/autumn normal.
18. Weather: Rain, Snow, Lightning, Monsoon, Hail, Fog, etc
Please suggest more . This only touches the surface of what we could do
19. Randomskins, varience in skins for troops of the same type will add a bit of variety to the game. This isn't a major difference so you won't confuse units between one another, e.g. add a beard, remove/add shield, etc. This is optional for modders so you can have just one skin if you so wish.
20. Moral/Happiness- Keep it to low and your citizens and troops may revolt, keep it high and it'll give slight working benefits. Buildings like taverns can bolster happiness, and you can spend resources on more effective but temporary solutions like feasts. Houses also help happiness and can be upgraded to provide even more happiness. If your morale is too low, your people may revolt against you!
21. Houses- Allow the construction and connection of houses. These are required to house citizens once you reach a certain limit.
22. Roads- Allow the construction of roads, you can build roads to connect your cities. Roads allow faster infantry movement and can be up to 3 lanes wide. When traveling troops will automaticly use these roads if it gives them a reduced travel time.
23. Random Map Generators- Allow the user to pick random generation which creates a random map. These use algothirms to make themselves and are supposed to be similar to real life terrain.
24. Improved Formations- Ability to change formation patterns if you so please. More formation movements(i.e. split up then regroup at point X. Better formation attacks, i.e. select destination instead of move forward a bit in formation. Ability to queue formations.
25. Revamped CityConstruction- Now you need a supply wagon to build a new city. Which makes more sense then a citizen with a single hammer.
26. Encourage a defensive strategy by having kills rack up morale boosts and loss of troops morale degredation. For exmaple if the enemy slaughters your army citizens may be dismotivated to work.
27. Balkanization- The ability for your people to revolt if morale is low and attempt to form their own indepence. They'll run off with some of your resources and build new cities and either actively battle you or show that they are much better then you. THe population will also have wants, perhaps they don't like a democratic government so if you want to stop revolts you go republic, or they prefer a different religion so you must compensate for this. Or you can respond with an iron hand and install fear to stop them.
28. Realistic age progreession- Factor in dark ages, declines, breakthroughs and such. E.g. not all modern countries can go to space, some even still live in tents.
29. Resource usage- Instead of the current infinite resources, woodcutting will remove trees. Mining will shrink a mountain, and farming will make the ground less fertile. Thus resource managment is key to survival, things like tree farms can help counter these degredations and effeciency is more vital.
30. Cross-Age interaction- Instead of suddenly jumping to a new age , nations are often faced with limited resources and must resort to older methods e.g. vietnam war, thus you could have cavalary with bows and arrows with tanks riding next to it. However this is limited to the point of realism , if you can't make bullets a unit could settle for a crossbow.
31. At the start of a game certain cities will lie unclaimed and abonded either because the populace escaped or there is no form of government there. Players will then fight quickly to control these locations and use it to their advantage. Cities can also be abonded due to fallout radiation, bad morale, or horrid living conditions.
32.More computer AI forms.Economic, offensive, defensive, normal, economic, expansionist, strategist.
33. Gold and dark ages- During specific times installed by rapid expansion or plentiful resources your nation will gain a temporary boost. Likewise you may enter dark ages from continued conflict and low resources.
Nations
1. The Vikings
2. The Celts
3. Babylonians
4. Expansion of current nations and more historical accuracy
Ages:

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 05-11-2012 @ 02:37 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-23-12 00:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 181  
I love your enthusiasm, but I am afraid this is unlikely to happen. A game like this would take years to make, and remember that we all have real life commitments too. Not only that, but I doubt we'd have permission to sell it. Look at 0 AD for example. It is a great game, but it has taken them such a long time, and they aren't getting any money from it. And I'm not sure that our mods are in vain. Go on Mod Db and look at the visitor and download stats for some of the mods. And we can't just inject our mods into a new game. All the models and textures would have to be redone, and at a much higher level of detail.

Basically, it just seems a little pointless unless we are able to make this official, even then I don't know if it is worth the effort. If we can't, making mods is just the best thing for now to improve this game.

If everything does work out, and we have a sufficient team, I'd be happy to offer some help.

Name(forumname): Super7700
Timezone: UTC/GMT +12 hours
Skills: Primarily texturing, though I can work with xml files and I can do basic models (I can't create things from scratch though).
Role: Probably texturer, though I could provide also some basic researching, coding and modelling. I'm best with the Ancient and Medieval eras.

Heavengames doesn't have private messaging, so we could use Mod Db and maybe our own site (not sure how that'd work) once we get permission.

As for suggestions, there are a number of things I can think of for now:

- More ages
- More historical accuracy (eg Praetorian Guards in the Classical Age, NOT the gunpowder Age)
- Nations are far more unique - more UUs and also most units for a nation should have a unique appearance.
- More potential for maps - people should be able to make their own random map scripts, terrain should have more variation (eg multiple terrain types available on maps). More eyecandy as well.
- Detailed cities with walls and bridges, maybe they can automatically grow as your population and income increases.
- Vehicles that can transport units!

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 04-23-2012 @ 00:27 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 01:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 181  
Thanks for the lengthy response .

IF the team is large enough we should be able to pull it off, we just have to compensate for sudden trips and such. Thus communication would be key. Also BHG staff also have real life commitments, in the end though it depends mostly on the willingness and size of the team. IT may take a while to create but if we have a sizeable and committed team and stay organised we'll be able to take it on, also some members here have stuck with the game for years already whilst the team would be dynamic as time goes along there will always be dedicated willing people to work on it; especially if we get a lot of attention.

I'm hoping to make it official by having us pitch our ideas to big huge games and get permission to create it, do you guys think it should be free to play but optional donations for everyone's hard work? I don't want the donations or otherwise going to big huge games as they aren't creating it , the community is; the team should be rewarded for their hard work.

Thank you for joining the team . Let us hope this encourages others to do the same. For now we'll just need to brainstorm ideas for making the game worthy of a sequel title and we'll need to make sure to make the process of porting content from current mods into the next game is nice and smooth.

We could create our own forums or something if there is enough support . For now though an email address, or something similar will suffice?

Great suggestions adding them to the op . Also added a few more suggestions of my own .

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 04-23-2012 @ 01:24 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 01:42 AM EDT (US)     3 / 181  
BHG was a professional company, so I don't think they worked part time. Problem is, we do. Another problem, there are only a couple of other people actively modding Rise of Nations and making large scale mods. And I don't think they'll be keen on just scrapping the mods they have put so much work into for this. I'm not keen either, it's just that I have hardly started it (though I have still put a lot of work into it).

Sorry, but I haven't joined the team yet. Lets just say I'm pledging to if this gets off the ground.

Additionally, the lack of activity in these forums would mean that we'd not get very much in our own ones either. Sure, we would like a RON II, but is anyone else that interested?

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~
posted 04-23-12 02:06 AM EDT (US)     4 / 181  
I'm not asking people to scrap their work , i'm asking them to port their work into a new engine which combines all of their work + much more for supreme epicness. At least it would serve more a purpose and have more players using it then their modding efforts do now. Currently whilst I admire their dedication making mods that very few play is quite pointless, I'm hoping to give them the opportunity to make their mods serve a use which is why we need to concentrate on making mod porting process as easy as possible. If this gets of the floor modders will actually have an audience that actively follows and plays their mod and it could even be intergrated into the main engine if it's historicly accurate enough and intresting.

Oh my bad I'll place you on the pondering list then

RoN is a old forgotten game, doing this will rekindle attention to it. If we manage to release something, even a stage 1 release, it will likely kindle people who remember playing to return and others as well. Thus it would spark new community members and thus a larger team for the project. We just need to get it out there even in a basic form to induce attention to it. So yes there are still a lot of people that played it once and forgot about it, this will rekindle their spark and draw old timers back as well as newcomers who think 'hey what's all this then?'.

We need to make people enthusiastic about the concept and encourage people to spread the word and help out in whatever way they can. If we manage that the project is bound to go well. We can accomplish this by injecting people with all sorts of new wonderful ideas and the idea of combining all the adequate mods into the sequel to maximise it's potential.

Why scrap what we have, we should use it instead
posted 04-23-12 02:12 AM EDT (US)     5 / 181  
I have my eye on several projects: Col Molotov's A Wrong Turn, and my own Rise of Kings: Chronicles. The latter, especially. Once the CtWs are done, I might use them for play-throughs on a variety of forums. Those will be useful in rekindling interest in RoN, although various people have complained about technical difficulties running it - I initially did, but solved them all :P

[img]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/interbellum/images/6/60/AXP_banner.png/revision/latest?cb=20150328191407[/img] [img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ronriseofkings/images/d/d6/Rkc_banner.png[/img] [img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/kingsandconquerors/images/0/09/KChe_Banner_roma.png[/img]

[This message has been edited by VelvetClaw (edited 04-23-2012 @ 02:19 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 02:25 AM EDT (US)     6 / 181  
We certainly would be scrapping our mods - we can't really use much of what we have made in a 3d engine. The models and textures we have made are for Rise of Nation's old hybrid engine and are therefore of quite low detail compared to what there is for AOE 3 or 0 AD, and would not fit in a more detailed system. The only thing we would be keeping are the ideas.

Mods that very few play? I released Rise of Kings Christmas last year, and it has almost 1200 downloads. World in Conflict Alpha, released in November last year, is past 1700 downloads. The End of Days, released last month - almost 5000 downloads. A Wrong Turn, released just last week - over 300 downloads. That is quite a lot for a game that is forgotten. Just because the online community of Rise of Nations is small, doesn't mean few people play it.

posted 04-23-12 02:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 181  
We'd have to make new models and textures but besides that we'd be using the same scripting language to do things. That is why we need modelors and texturers .

That's still not very much D: , starcraft 1 is 14 years old and still has more downloads for mods then we do. This would get a lot more attention then it does now. Also that's a good thing since that means with the current community we have enough base pool of people to get this done

This project would obviously require some sacrifice from the community, but I'd like to minimise it as much as possible. Mainly making porting mods easy so you don't lose all your hard work, perhaps a program that turns RoN 1 models and turns them 3D? Or perhaps we drop the 3D idea but give the illusion of 3D. Other ideas to minimise sacrifice would be keeping the scenario scripting and such the same , just with added functions so scripters can achieve even more .

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 04-23-2012 @ 03:01 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 03:02 AM EDT (US)     8 / 181  
To be honest, models and textures are the most work, and when you showcase something for your mod, it's usually going to be art related. Coding is the simple part, except when you screw something up and the mod refuses to start.

Question is, do the Starcraft mods released last year have more downloads, or are you just referring to the ones made soon after its release? Starcraft appears to be the most popular RTS game available, so that is expected that the mods for it are more popular as well.

And no, we don't have that many active modders who have released major work. And I'm not sure if anyone here can do the hardcoding. The available .xml files that can be modded are like the tip of the iceberg...

Rise of Nations has a hybrid engine. THe units are 3d but the buildings are 2d. Sure, we could use the 3d models we've made, but as I said, the models and the textures would need much more detail, so we can't really reuse things.

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 04-23-2012 @ 03:21 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 03:53 AM EDT (US)     9 / 181  
True, models and textures do take up a lot of the time. Keeping the idea alive is the most important thing though. A conversion tool of some sort would be useful.

What about we make the terrain 3D keep the units 3D , that means we only have to worry about the structures or we keep it as a hybrid engine.

The more recent ones .

It will be harder to coordinate sporadicly active modders, but nonetheless possible though.

We will face problems, and we will have to create mediums to fix them. That much is expected. Evidently we may still have quite a few downloaders but we have very very few people who are active and some who are sporadicly active. Whatever we may say those numbers are dwindling, this would save it and save all the work modders have done but unfortunately but obviously requiring a bit more work from modders to be achievable.

I'd like to hear ideas you guys may have to make the conversion process more smooth and the work on the modders a lot less
But in all sense it is a sequel and thus will work differently then RoN1 , we can add tons of new units, structures, cultures, etc and some major and minor game elements that would go smoothly alongside the current features(3d terrain). The main problem is stepping up the art quality and model quality, the best solution would be to create one or more tools that make this process easier. E.g. you could open a RoN 1 model and it would have various features to increase it's detail.
posted 04-23-12 04:23 AM EDT (US)     10 / 181  
You are underestimating how much work it'd be. It's not as if we can just create some program out of thin air that will increase the quality of Rise of Nations models and textures. We'd have to make new ones. We will have to scrap our current mods, and all the work we've put into them will be for nearly nothing. Do you think the community will want to hear that all their favourite mods have been stopped completely because the modders are working on a new game with even less chance of completion?

Maybe you should contact BHG now to see if even such a thing would be allowed by them before you start coming up with ideas and gathering a team. Or, to avoid having to ask for permission, we can work on making the differences between this and the original RON significant enough. But still, I'll only join the team if enough modders join.

By the way, you should open a thread for this in the game modifications forum, in case some of the modders don't even visit this forum.

posted 04-23-12 04:57 AM EDT (US)     11 / 181  
You do well to dishearten me . However modders wouldn't have to 'scrap their current mods' a mod isn't only models and textures. We can't nullify the process and it will be a lot of hard work but we can make it a lot easier then it could be. Perhaps increasing the size of the models and adding more complex textures would do the trick. It will be a lot of hardwork, I'm not hiding that; but if we do pull through it , it will drasticly increase the quality of mods.

Modders need not scrap their mods they can continue them if they so wish, but if they want to they can help make a new game that would be official which would have more users willing to download their mods then they can do so as well.

The truth is the current work people are putting into mods is for nearly nothing, it is a vain attempt to keep the game alive and it does help; but not enough. Instead of putting your effort into something that will dwindle as time passes put it into something new that can improve what was before it.

It might be annoying for the community when major mods stop being updated as they are working on something of grander size that ultimately will allow the users to enjoy the game more then ever. But it would be much much more horrible for the community if all the major mods where to stop as the modders left and the community sucumbs to time, which will happen. I could wait until the community is nearly dead and then people would surely be willing to make a sequel to save it, but then it would be too late. The game aint' dead yet and we still have a large enough community to do this, so we'd have to do it now or it won't ever happen.

How/where should I go about contacting Big Huge Games and what do you think I should say? We're not a company of anything we're just the loyal fans and followers of Rise Of Nations.

I'll do that, is there a way to port all the responses too?
posted 04-23-12 05:20 AM EDT (US)     12 / 181  
I'm sorry that I'm being quite negative about it, but I'm afraid it may not turn out nearly as well as we both hope it to.

Thinking about it, we probably could use the models we've made in our mods for this game, just with higher resolution textures and some improved models.

We also put work into our mods for our entertainment as well as that of others. I mod RON because it is a hobby for me, and it's just an added bonus that there is a community for this game. But you are right, we could earn much more appreciation by making something BIG.

If you want to contact BHG, look here:

http://bighugegames.com/about/contact

posted 04-23-12 05:35 AM EDT (US)     13 / 181  
Well we allways need to see the negative problems, but any problem has a solution.

That's what I was trying to suggest , if you have a higher resolution texture and keep the overseer battle view the models appear much more HD despite being the same simple models(or slightly enhanced). We could also have it so modders can choose to improve it or not, so if they have some spare time they can but don't necessarily notably have to; increase the detail on the models. Making it optional and not mandatory ought to do the trick .

True most people here are likely modders and old-timers , but that's not a bad thing ! It's the people that do things as a hobby in their spare time that have the most creative minds and in numbers they can surpass. You get personal entertaining feelings and the feeling that you achieved something as well as knowing others benefit and use what you put your time in. However I think the initial reason why you started modding would be because you thought it would help others, it's one of the major reasons people mod.

Thanks for the link . I'm a bit nervous how I should go about it, do I merely link to this thread or attempt to make some sort of grand pitch. I need some advice here

I typed up a draft message to send to big huge games and sent it to your profile email address
: super7700@gmail.com :
I need some advice and additions to it and it is very much open to editing (and needs it a lot ). If anyone else wants to see it tell me

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 04-23-2012 @ 06:10 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 06:08 AM EDT (US)     14 / 181  
However I think the initial reason why you started modding would be because you thought it would help others, it's one of the major reasons people mod
Was it? I just wanted to have New Zealand (and its powerful military ) in the game! To be honest I don't think it helped others, and I didn't really think about entertaining others. When I mod I mainly do it for my own entertainment (and it is a better way to use time than play Battlefield 3 or watch tv).

Also, please can you start up this same thread in the game mods section, just in case some of the modders never leave that section!

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 04-23-2012 @ 06:11 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 06:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 181  
Hmm, well that's the inspiration. Helping others does help motivate you when you hit a wall as you know users are relying on you to continue . It is one of the reasons people mod, maybe not the initial reason though.

Also read the edited message

Edit: Created the thread in the modding section: [url=http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,6294,,10][/url] hopefully that will draw some modders here.

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 04-23-2012 @ 06:31 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 09:53 AM EDT (US)     16 / 181  
Hi !

A RoN 2 idea is indeed very attractive. Super7700 has already covered the various problems very well, so there isn't much to add. Our team is right in the middle of developping and promoting our mod, this is already extremely time-consuming. This said, in our work, we have already designed lots of units and 3D models that could be helpful to your project.
Creating a new engine is an enormous undertakement, though, in which I'm afraid I can't help, for I don't know the first thing about game engines !

If you need help modelling and texturing, or for the documentation process, count me in, but that's all I can offer right now.

Good luck !
posted 04-23-12 10:18 AM EDT (US)     17 / 181  
Thank you colonel molotov , textures and modelors are as highly sought as any other position and make up the bulk of the work.

As I said we'll do our best to make the conversion process as easy as possible but it will require more work, nonetheless ultimately it will be far better . Perhaps the middle point about increasing the texture quality will be a good way to solve this issue partially. Alas there are allways problems and greater the size of the project the more there are, however at it's current course putting your effort into creating a mod may be good in the short-term but in the long-term it will be in vain, putting time into converting you work would not be in vain for the longterm

I'll add you to the pondering or official team list?

Thanks for the luck , we'll need it

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 04-23-2012 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 11:36 AM EDT (US)     18 / 181  
Let me put my 2 cents in here

First off, let me say that this is a GREAT idea... in theory... however, we have to look at this from a practical standpoint

1. Rise of Nations was a huge undertaking that required enormous amounts of manpower and time

To quote Tim Train, VP of BHG in 2003:
"We have about twenty-five people that are full timers and we probably have about another fourteen or fifteen part-timers or contractors that worked on the game in some form or another. So obviously a lot of man hours went in to trying to polish and tweak the game relative to a lot of the other games in the marketplace. And we've been in development for about three years.

This shows that in order to make a RoN2, we would need a considerable amount of time, knowledge, experience, and manpower in this project. Obviously we are not starting from the gorund up, but still, for working on some sort of a "part-time" basis, the length of this project would be immense

2. Software development, when done properly, is a sophisticated, lengthy, orderly process

I am a software/computer engineer student, and a class I am taking now is called Software MEthodologies, which studies the practices of software analysis project development and maintenance. And let me tell you, software development isnt just a "code and fix" process. This needs to incorporate aspects like requirement analysis, design specification, coding/testing implementation, then post-delivery maintenance (since there WILL be bugs). And this is only the broad generality of the project development, these themes go very in-depth and require extensive skills team development and cooperation, ALONG with the coding practices that many of us enjoy

3. A Project like this will require experienced individuals in software/coding development

I know a lot of you can mod in RoN, and that is all well and good, but there is a huge difference between modding some units and modding.... a complex RTS game. Now since as a (soon to be) software engineer, I could help if you all decide to tackle this project, but we need many people who are experienced in such an undertaking. 3-5 people wll not be sufficent for a project of this magnitude.
Not to mention, we would also need to be experienced in aspects of software such as Object-oriented analysis, Data Structures, and even Intelligent Systems for AI (which not even I can do... even though I'm taking a class on that next semester lol)

4. We must consider that people have lives outside of RoN, and such a project will eat at personal time

Now many of us have school,jobs, and another such commitments that we deal with on a daily basis. Now we all have time to come together to play/discuss RoN, but such a project like this requires a commitment of time that many of us cannot afford. As an engineering student, I am constantly bombarded with projects and tests (which is why I wasn't as active as last week as I usually am), which indicated that such a project will have to be coincided with these commitments. Problem is, since this is a team project, we would have to wait on the slowest member, which would probably be the person with the most commitments

----------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer about this, but I feel that this is a project that is not practical and is also a bit over-ambitious.

If you would like to make... well... maybe a new Expansion to RoN, maybe that could work... I would stick to small scale projects to improve RoN. Maybe we could implement another patch, or maybe we could make another nation (who knows). But start small, get all the bugs out, and implement some sort of .exe or patch file to incorporate your projects so that others can implement it.

Btw, If you need help, I am experienced in Java, Python, C++, Matlab, and BHS Script for RoN

Pimp approved, master class!

[This message has been edited by Pimp Masterflex (edited 04-23-2012 @ 11:44 AM).]

posted 04-23-12 08:17 PM EDT (US)     19 / 181  
Well I'm certainly getting a lot of downers from people D:

1. This is true, which is why we are better doing it now then later as there would be less people. So we need roughly 50 part-timers to get this done >.> .

Well if you have shifts of work and move everything along smoothly between people it would be a good imitation of full-time work, in which case we'd have people working 24/7.

2.This is also true since i'm a newbie coder and followed several indie developers in their gaming process.

3. I was hoping there were more some of those in the community , evidently yes . Since this project will take a while you'll definetly have had the class next semester by the time we reach AI and such, unless that's something you have to worry about from start on?

4. This means organising is well and making sure everyone communicates properly. So if someone has tests or is busy they just need to drop us a short message and we'd move their work onto someone else temporarily.

It is the only way to save Rise Of Nations though and BHG seems unwilling. Do you think it may be a good idea to attempt to ask for assistance from BHG later on?

A scaled down version would be improving the graphical quality of the current game to modern standards. So we could just edit the current game with some of the features suggested above and call it RoN2, and it would require some editing of the source. So yes perhaps and expansion pack would be more practical and it could have enough features to draw and audience.

Wow 4 languages! I only know java D: . Anyway welcome to the team , you have to be ambitious to solve anything but likewise you have to make scale-downded steps to move forward.

What do you guys think, would an official expansion back do the same trick and stir the community again? Would we still be able to achieve most of the ideas we have by tweaking the current engine?

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 04-23-2012 @ 08:20 PM).]

posted 04-23-12 11:44 PM EDT (US)     20 / 181  
38 studios bought BHG in 2009, so we may have some legal trouble to work with them, especially concerning copyrights and intellectual property, so keep that in mind.

However, I do not see a problem in starting a small project first (like a new patch), then working our way up to more complex projects (such as a new nation, then new units to updated graphics)

So lets start small at first, see where things go, then progress further as we go on.

Also, We have 3 people as of now, I would like to get more people here as well, but we can acquire new people as we develop these projects and getting more people onto RonHeaven

posted 04-24-12 00:11 AM EDT (US)     21 / 181  
I agree with you compeltly pimp, let's work our way up; get more experience, learn how to better organise ourselves and communicate, work in a team and eventually we'll have enough stuff to put them all together and dub it a expansion pack.

For starter's we'll need a very good historian on the team, since we want to recap historical events very accuractely. How about the egyptian empire and wars, since that wasn't covered in the game.

Or we could begin by making a simple modpack, so we know how to make things work together; basicly just configure unit id's (with author's permission) put them together and you have a modpack.

Also what about the concept of disease, and thus the concept of medical units and structures. Which is one sizable area the vanilla game missed. More industry and it's related transports(like trains) would also be cool.

Come join us at Project Ressurection: http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/index.cgi
Rise from the ashes my fellow nations!

[This message has been edited by hindos (edited 04-24-2012 @ 00:13 AM).]

posted 04-24-12 00:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 181  
I think a player named VelvetClaw would be a good candidate for historian. He gave me a lengthy and detailed history for the Americans to be put up on this site (although I have problems with comommunicating with Heavengames yadda yadda), so he is someone to consider

Another thing i realized is OOS, which would affect multiplayer gameplay entirely. If your not familiar, OOS means one (or more) players have some script that is out of sync with all other players or the gamespy network. That means in order for these mods and patches to work, we would need to universally sell our project to the RoN community, and have it someone updated with RoN (for those who are new to RoN)

posted 04-24-12 01:26 AM EDT (US)     23 / 181  
I know velvetclaw very well, he's the one that made me find Rise Of Nations in the first place . I'll ask him if he wants to help

Ok, that is a slight problem. But if it becomes official we can communicate with BHG about doing that. It all comes down to advertisment though

Come join us at Project Ressurection: http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/index.cgi
posted 04-24-12 02:35 AM EDT (US)     24 / 181  
The issue with even just starting off small is that the number of nations, maps, units, buildings, techs and ages are hardcoded. If we want to do anything even slightly significant, we would most likely need to contact them to ask for some way as well as permission to edit the hardcoded files.

Even if we had to keep the same graphics engine and weren't able to add completely new features (eg. terrain alteration), if we are able to remove limits on the above things, it would work extremely well.

With a script we could add in some basic new features such as disease and possibly some natural disasters (I know one quick battle script has meteor strikes!). This is something we can already do now without extra coding privileges.

posted 04-24-12 04:22 AM EDT (US)     25 / 181  
So you're saying if we want to move forward we first have to convince BHG to either change the hard-coded source to have less limits on units and such, or give us permission to do that?

We could wait and if there is enough call from the community to make that happen it will open up a whole new realm for modding, and allow all modders to do much more then they're currently limited to.

I'll see about writing a draft about merely getting the permission to edit the hard-coded files so modders can finally do something significant enough to rescue the game.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion » Project Ressurection: RoN2
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames