You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ruthless Scorched Earth Strategy
posted 03-20-04 08:19 PM EDT (US)   
Recently, I have developed a ruthless scotched earth strategy.Here's how it works
Firstly, it can work with early rushing or a late surprise sneak attack on the enemy capital.
I will go with 6 HI or 4 Siege + other supoport troops and flank past the other enemy cities. The key here is to capture either the capital or the 2nd city quickly before his main army realises what happens.
WHY??
Capital is the place where the enemy has his bulk of famrs and woodcutter camps.
2nd city is where he builts his other 5 farms and maybe woodcutter camps( except bantu who may use the 2nd city as a jumping off point).
Our goal is to capture either the capital or the 2nd city quickly.
While assimilating, here's where my main strategy will apply. Quickly select a farm and press delete to raze it(you can raze all economical buildings while assimilating). If there is a woodcutter camp, raze it first(cos they can produce more resources per camp as compared to per farm). Raxe in this order:
1)Woodcutter camps( raze early if enemy is French)
2)Farms(raze as first priority if enemy is Egyptians)
3)Libraries(you might want to raze this earlier if the enemy does not have a 2nd library)
4)Univeristies(Raze earlier if enemy is Greeks).
5)Mines(raze early if enemy is Inca but not over farms and camps)
6)Granaries, Lumber mills, Etc( depend on race.
The farms are the easiest to raze, followed by woodcutter camps.
Normally, I wouldnt raze temples unless the city is useless to me. Every farm raze generates +20 food and woodcutter camps + 30 wood.
This strategy is useful as when the enemy recaptures the city, he will have to start all over again to build all the lost famrs and camps, wasting resources in the process. in the meantime, his economy is hurt as he cannot generate resources from the city he retook. Meanwhile, you can get bonus resources from razing. In late game, this strategy is very painful to the enemy as each farm and woodcutter will generate more than +10 resources every 30 sec.
Questions????

Alexander the Great, Belisarius, Caeser...... The Great K(BloodBath). They are all great generals
Replies:
posted 03-20-04 08:38 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
Nope, no questions

Funny you should post this, I just finished a quick game and rushed a russian (I was Greek) and razed everything in his capital. After his partner recaptured it he took one look and resigned. If you ever lose your capital, you need it back quick, very quick.

This is standard rush procedure, defo wood camp first. The benefits are so massive it's amazing people don't do it. O4B and I have documented it often enough.

posted 03-20-04 09:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
You can raze a woodcamp and a farm at the same time.
posted 03-20-04 09:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
No you cant. You can only raze one building at a time. Forgot to mention something. You can raze wonders too even if the city is not yet assimilated. Very good way to destroy a pesky wonder

Alexander the Great, Belisarius, Caeser...... The Great K(BloodBath). They are all great generals
posted 03-20-04 09:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
You can raze a farm and a woodcutter camp at the same time. Mines and oil fields too...they can be placed anywhere within your territory, even outside the city limits so you are allowed to raze them simultaneously with other econ buildings as they aren't technically constrained by the bounds of the city border. Even if they are in the city border. I do this all the time.

life sucks if you're a dead squirrel.
posted 03-20-04 10:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
you can delete all wood cutters and mines at one time + 1 regular city structure.

i do this quite often.

TGE

posted 03-20-04 11:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
I find it easier to just nuke the city...

But then I like my earth well done...

~General Deamon Ross
posted 03-20-04 11:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
A woodcutter camp or mine is not considered a city structure. They are bound to a resource, not a city like a farm, library, uni, etc. are. It's just like if you built 5 rax in a city, you'd still be able to raze them all at the same time.

If there's no limit to the number you can build inside the city limits, there's no limit to the number to can raze at once.

posted 03-20-04 11:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
Dont be confused. I mean when I capture their city, I can pnly raze one farm or one camp at a time not those that originally I have within my city

posted 03-21-04 00:04 AM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
no you can raze as many camps or mines as the enemy capitol has in it's limits at the same time. farms are different as are markets.

TGE

posted 03-21-04 10:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
TGE is correct. If you capture a city that has 2 woodcamps 2 mines you can raze all 4 at the exact same times, along with 1 city building (farm, library, market, etc)
posted 03-21-04 06:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
lol! this happened to me in ancient age....but i took it back really quick...anyway, the enemy razed my granary, lumbermill,woodcutters camp, 3 farms, library...i just had 2 farms a temple and a market....+the other city , a barracks, a tower, a lumber camp, and 19 villies + 5 archers and 4 HI (which i used to do the same to my rushing enemy)...

Am I the only one who likes
my pet, the great pithouphis catenifer?
posted 03-28-04 10:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
lol bloodbath i bet u in this strat i got your capital and kept it u died.that was funfunnfun!!1
posted 03-29-04 11:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
one game i used this on Sea Biscuit and when he took back his capitol he was like "dude did you delete my farms?"

lol was funny as hell

TGE

posted 03-30-04 03:11 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
I don't this tactic will be effective against Russia in the Ex-pack.

I mean, with the plunder bonus, you're just giving Russians extra resources!

posted 03-30-04 03:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
Yeah used I tried this strat on some eggy player and deleted his collossus
posted 03-30-04 05:53 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
Great job BloodBath! I'll have to try this in Multiplayer!
You play on Gamespy TGE?

Nice title BTW... "Ruthless Scorched Earth Strategy".

posted 03-30-04 05:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
just about everyday at many different times you can find me on GS. my GS name is TWC_TheGoodEvil what yours?

lately though i been playing alot of BF 1942 demo (never played a FPS before so i am using BF to get my sea legs)

if you ever want a game just email me or catch me on MSN.

@Tonifranz it doesn't matter if you give resources back to russia it won't make up for the attention to the border that the russian player will lose and resources lost while fixing up the capitol again.

TGE

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 03-30-2004 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 03-31-04 07:48 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
I thought "scotched earth" was quite creative!

"Nevertheless, it is vital to remember that information - in the sense of raw data - is not knowledge; that knowledge is not wisdom; and that wisdom is not foresight. But information is the first essential step to all of these."
Arthur C. Clarke
posted 04-01-04 11:14 AM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
Yea, like the name; but it's borrowed, same with the strategy. I've been gone for months again (playing too many other RTS games lately, may finally settle on RON as it is one of the best ever), but I remember someone doing this to me in a 1on1 a while back. He deleted my library and when I recaptured my capital, I couldn't reseach until I built a new one. Since then, I do whatever I can to ensure my capital is NEVER taken early game with building an early temple at cap, a tower and researching militia upgrade.

[This message has been edited by Timeless_OmO (edited 04-01-2004 @ 11:15 AM).]

posted 04-02-04 05:16 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
Nice. I can't believe i never thought of it before, because i always used to do it in the Campaign mode of Medieval Total War (invade enemy territory, sell all structures and withdraw).
posted 04-07-04 01:37 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
Hey just to clarify, you can actually raise economic buldings/structures (eg farms, graneries etc) if you have captured a city, but not yet assimilated it?
posted 04-07-04 09:10 AM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
Yes you can raze them before they are assimilated. You can even raze wonders too!

posted 04-09-04 06:40 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
I agree with your tactics. There are also situations where you could atk a city even though you know you won't be able to hold it. You can merely do this as a way of devastating your opponent. After all,sometimes crippling a foe is much better than getting rid of them.
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Ruthless Scorched Earth Strategy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames