You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Marius reforms: 1.2, happen when...
posted 10 February 2005 19:38 EDT (US)   
One of the italian cities that a playable roman faction starts with builds and imperial palace and it is 220 BC or later. I don't know if everybody knows this yet but I'm 95% sure that it is correct. I havn't hit marius yet, and it's almost 200 bc. Imperial palaces in Mediolanium, patavium, and Rome but no event. So just an FYI patavium/mediolanium don't count and neither does rome. It stinks really, how do I fight bull warriors, chosen axemen/swordsmen/archers, etc with pre-marian units?? It's a PITA!! Croton is very close to 24k in population though.....

Anyone paying as julii I recommend stuffing all the enslaved peoples you can into arretium or ariminum. Patavium has a huge growth % but will not get you to the reforms anyway.

EDIT again: Thanks whoever bailed this out to the general disc forum so quickly.

[This message has been edited by Themistocles472 (edited 02-10-2005 @ 07:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10 February 2005 21:28 EDT (US)     1 / 25  
Okay, now I am really confused. I just hit the Marius Event in 205 BC. Croton, Messana, Tarentum, Capua, Ariminum, and Arretium are all large cities. I have had imperial palaces in patavium and mediolanium for some years, and Rome has had one as well. I got tired of waiting and added 1,500 population to Tarentum to take it over the 24k threshold, hoping brutii would then get building....and it happened the next turn. I didn't upgrade any cities and none of the other faction's italian cities were either.

So, what exactly triggers the marius event in 1.2????????????????????????????????????????????????????

[This message has been edited by Themistocles472 (edited 02-10-2005 @ 09:29 PM).]

posted 10 February 2005 22:13 EDT (US)     2 / 25  
- 220 BC or later
- Imperial Palace in one of the starting cities, Rome excluded

In other words: Ariminum, Arretium, Capua, Messana, Tarentum, Croton.

posted 10 February 2005 22:56 EDT (US)     3 / 25  
No, that is not right. As I just stated I hit the marius event without an imperial palace in a roman starting city (not counting Rome). Trust me, I checked. Unless something is really messed up, I just don't know. Is it 100% certain that this is how it works??

Edit: I just double checked, sent spies to look around and make sure. 100.0000% certain that not one of the starting playble roman cities has an imperial palace. Rome, Patavium, and Mediolanium do but none of the others. So, what are the other possibilites? 205 BC it occurred. Ideas???

[This message has been edited by Themistocles472 (edited 02-10-2005 @ 11:03 PM).]

posted 11 February 2005 03:56 EDT (US)     4 / 25  
Maybe Patavium and Mediolanum count as Italy too?

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 11 February 2005 09:41 EDT (US)     5 / 25  
Also other families count. If they build an imperial palace in one of those cities, the message of the reforms pops up. It happened to me, it happened to dozens of us. I don't know what else I could say.
posted 11 February 2005 11:00 EDT (US)     6 / 25  
I know other families count, I know what it's supposed to be. What I am telling you is that neither Croton, Messana, Tarentum, Capua, Ariminum, and Arretium have an imperial palace. There must be another clause if it's 205 BC with no palace in any of thosebut there is one somewhere else (Rome, Patavium, Mediolanium....) or one of the starting cities has 24000 people but no palace yet(Tarentum). Im sure plenty of people have had it happen the way it is pressumed to in 1.2 but I'm telling you that that's now how it happened for me.

Again: 205 BC. NO imperial palace in Croton, Messana, Tarentum, Capua, Ariminum, or Arretium. Imperal palaces in: Rome, Patavium, Mediolanium. Population in Tarentum had just passed 24,000 that turn. And no, patavium and mediolanium don't count. In my first post I said that, since I had one in patavium for 20 years prior to the event, and one in mediolanium for several as well....as did Rome.

[This message has been edited by Themistocles472 (edited 02-11-2005 @ 11:02 AM).]

posted 11 February 2005 11:21 EDT (US)     7 / 25  
That's strange, and nice I would add. A third trigger then? I like it.
posted 11 February 2005 11:22 EDT (US)     8 / 25  
Yes, there must be another trigger. I'm thinking there is some sort of clause that will prevent you from going on for toooooo long without the event happening. I was getting very tired of my major unit inferiority. I could train praetorian corhorts at my two palaces, and samnite gladiators in arretium, but still.....

So anybody else has it happen without one of the starting roman cities having a palace post up the situation.

[This message has been edited by Themistocles472 (edited 02-11-2005 @ 11:23 AM).]

posted 11 February 2005 11:25 EDT (US)     9 / 25  
If that is the case, so a certain date should be the third one (around 210-200 BC, it seems).
posted 11 February 2005 11:34 EDT (US)     10 / 25  
Perhapes, then you must have an imperial Palace within ROME, and one of your cities must have atleast 24000 pop?

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 11 February 2005 11:49 EDT (US)     11 / 25  
There are several logical possibilites I can think of. The imperial palace in rome, playable faction with imperial palace, starting playable city with 24,000 population, date (mine 205 BC), some combination of those............
posted 11 February 2005 12:00 EDT (US)     12 / 25  
CA told us it was when you have an Imperial palace, and then, at any timeafter 220bc. Why does everyone assume that it must be in Italy?

POSTER NUMBER ONE IN HOLY ROMAN PARTY XV
"Live forever, or die trying!"
TWH Baths Forumer of the Month - November 06
posted 11 February 2005 12:04 EDT (US)     13 / 25  
Because some persons have been digging threw the event triggers and foun that the Marian reforms have 3 triggers 1. imperial palace
2. after 220 BC
3. imperial palace is on the italian peninsula

Your monarchist friend Lars

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

posted 11 February 2005 12:29 EDT (US)     14 / 25  
Ferret: Are you saying that it's a random time after 220? As in I could have an imperial palace at 220 bc in ariminum but it still might not happen until 205 BC??

It seems that a lot of people thought it was a starting roman playable factoin's city that triggered it. (after 220 bc, of course)

posted 11 February 2005 13:21 EDT (US)     15 / 25  
I've checked, and yes. The three aforementioned conditions must be checked. After 220 BC can be at any time, after all. It's random.

Period.

posted 11 February 2005 14:49 EDT (US)     16 / 25  
I think there is a date by which it will happen, 150bc or something? If not, the randomness could be 13ad (winter), the point would be lost!

posted 11 February 2005 15:29 EDT (US)     17 / 25  
screw it all!!! Im just gonna start a roman campaign and keep on pressing the end trun button. Wish me luck. Illl get abck to u guys soon as possible.
posted 11 February 2005 16:51 EDT (US)     18 / 25  
I'll bet that the Romans have to have either an Imperial Palace and a city with 24000+ pop (includes ALL Italian cities) and then it fires. Otherwise, just 2 cities with 24000+ pop.

sig
posted 11 February 2005 17:02 EDT (US)     19 / 25  
Maybe each faction has to have one?

posted 12 February 2005 06:53 EDT (US)     20 / 25  
Well,
I always thought the marius event happens when you build an urban barracks...

The Mighty Pharaoh AKA Jonathon Clark
"Gods...I hate Gauls...My grandfather hated them too...Even before they put out his eyes..."
posted 12 February 2005 12:39 EDT (US)     21 / 25  
just an imperial palace will not trigger the event, period, neither will having an imperial palace in a starting city trigger the reform on it's own, as i had an imperial palace in carthage for ages (pre 240BC) and that didn't trigger the event. capua has just got an imperial palace, (pre 230BC) and the event is not gonna happen. syracuse also has one, and still the reform does not occur.

so, it is either that all of the roman houses must have an imperial palace, or that it hapens after a certain date, or both. all i know is that on its own, an imperial palace won't do the trick; there must be something else.

posted 12 February 2005 12:48 EDT (US)     22 / 25  
JiangWei: Your post=all old information. Of course you aren't going to have a reform. Carthage isn't a roman city, and you havn't reached 220 BC yet. This isn't 1.1. Nobody said that just and imperial palace, no matter where it was, would trigger it on it's own. The assumed triggers were a palace in a starting city AND 220 BC or later.

Pharoah: It's not an urban barracks either. That gives you triarii with one level of experience.

posted 12 February 2005 12:52 EDT (US)     23 / 25  
Why does everyone want the Marius reforms so badly? Is the game that hard before you get it? I never found it to be so.
posted 12 February 2005 17:05 EDT (US)     24 / 25  
When it's 210 BC, on vh/vh as Julii, and you are fighting Germania, Brittania, gaul, and spain (none of whom are fighting ANYBODY else) it gets difficult. When you have hastati, equites, principes, and roman archers to their chosen swordsmen/archers/axemen, noble cavalry, heavy chariots, bull warriors, etc etc it gets very difficult.
posted 12 February 2005 23:31 EDT (US)     25 / 25  
And then the professional army is so cool...
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Marius reforms: 1.2, happen when...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames