Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Why Spain doesn't suck
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 15 April 2005 14:03 EDT (US)   
Why does everyone think that Spain sucks? They get average cav, okay, they can't get good high level cav but so what. Missile units equal to those of the Carthaginians. They get good infantry; bull warriors, scutarii, and can get the best mercs in the game (in my opinion), Spanish mercs. They start controlling 4 provinces, more than the Romans. They don't have any overly powerful enemies in the beginning since the Gauls are fighting the Julii, Germans, and Britons plus you. Carthaginians usually don't try to capture Corduba back since the Scipii and Julii wipe them out. While Spain isn't necessarily(sp) rich, this can be fixed. Spain doesn't have a 'great' navy, but you can make do. There are many choices on which way you should conquer; Africa or Europe. But in the end, you'll end up going against the Romans.
There is always the ever presen opsion of mass migration to a rich land such as Greece or Italy if you're confident in your armies and abilities.
Now which factions are a threat? Gaul is propably the single biggest threat through the early game. The romans or Egyptians are the late game threats depending on how you conquered. The only place where Spain really sucks is in multi player, but otherwise their a good choice. And it can't be too long until someone devises a great Spanish strat. I'm working on one, but it's not going so well. Well, after making you laugh your guts out with my biggest post and first thread, I hope you give your opinion on this.
Should this go in the strategy discussions?

OBLIVION

[This message has been edited by Tipsu (edited 04-15-2005 @ 02:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 15 April 2005 14:14 EDT (US)     1 / 36  
Carthage's worst point = it's missile units. You have to play offensively with Carthage unless you've got onagers, because they've got nothing but slingers and javelineers.

Carthage gets Spanish Mercs, too. I still don't see why Scutarii are so great, either. They take forever to get and aren't better than Hastati.

4 Provinces, two sets of two isolated provinces.

The second biggest Gallic city is in Spain, and they tend to build quite a few troops there and attack Spain, whenever I play. They're also the strongest faction from the get-go.

Europe = not exactly rich, Africa = extremely poor until you control all of it. I prefer the option of, "Greece, or Eastern Provinces/Anatolia?"

How can you be confident in your army's abilities when all you get is Round Shields, Town Militia, and Iberians? Are you going to beat armoured hoplites with that?

Oh yeah, Bull Warriors are almost as expensive as Spartans, but aren't even the third best infantry in the game. Maybe not even the fourth. In a sword fight I'm fairly certain that Spartans, Urbans, and Praetorians can beat them.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 15 April 2005 14:30 EDT (US)     2 / 36  
I'm not confident in my armies abilities. Heck, I go into every battle expecting to lose.

The Gauls can't build up a large force in (I forgot the city's name but the province is Celtiberia.) if you take it early on.

Yes but that doesn't change the fact that Spain gets Spanish mercs too.

Isolation isn't a big issue since you should be controlling
the whole Iberian peninsula soon.

I think the important thing with Bull warriors is that they
aren't the worst high tier unit in the game. You don't alwys need to have the best of everything.

Yes, you can beat armored hoplites with Spain. You could even beat Spartans. If that's referring to the mass migration strat, they really don't have too many armored hoplites by the time you're there.

Oh yes, yet another thing. Do you always need to be filthy rich? Isn't it enough that you can build all the things you need, not just the ones you want. I'm never filthy rich, just because it isn't much fun.

Isn't the main point of missile units to fire from far away? And don't skirmishers fullfill that requirement?

I hope I'm making a good stand in the name of Spain.
*gets arrested for being fanatical*

OBLIVION
posted 15 April 2005 14:38 EDT (US)     3 / 36  
Personally, I like spain. I make them have better units through modding, and frankly, I think they have nice diversity. They dont have many GOOD units, but they do have the most interestiung troops,IMO

However, i dont like playing them in campaign because they are SO DAMN BORING. fighting with them is like moving furniture..... Half an hour later and you still havent got anything interesting to say !

That is all I have to say.
posted 15 April 2005 14:58 EDT (US)     4 / 36  
Glad I'm not the only one on this forum who likes Spain. I find Spanish battles quite hectic actually. Especially in the later stages of the campaign.

OBLIVION
posted 15 April 2005 14:58 EDT (US)     5 / 36  

Spains main issues in the campaign (why they're considered a hard faction) are:

1) Round shields are their best cavalry. In other words about twenty-thirty turns into the game the only reason you'd ever put cavalry in your army is to chase routers.

2) On harder difficulties the games dynamic goes out the window. The Julii will cheerfully ally with their arch enemies (the Gauls) and both attack you.

3) Until they get a minor city their units are as follows: Skirmishers, Iberian infantry, Round Shield cavalry, War Dogs, Naked Fanatics. That's it. For a very, very long time that's all you've got.

4) Slow-building armies and reliance on mercs. In the early game if you're playing on VH battle difficulties the ONLY units you can use (unless you want to loose every battle) are War dogs, Spanish Mercs and Naked Fanatics. Everything else runs almost instantly. Both of these units take a large town and 2 turns to train. Not all of your towns are large at the start.

5) Temple paradox. In the late game the Spanish temples which allows you to build bull warriors do not boost your soldiers in any way. So any city set aside for Bull Warriors production will not be able to produce other troops (slingers, skirms and round shields for running down routers, war dogs, Scutarii, etc) with bonus exp. Bonus EXP that your soldiers truly need; especially on harder levels. The fact that they need three temples to train troops that are up to par (Esus, Battle-forge and Abnoba) presents a logistical challenge.

Spains good points:

1) Best native slingers in the game. The ability to train slingers with +3 valour and +3 attack (total attack: 10) means Spain isn't actually too bad off for missile units. It could be said they beat out Parthia, Armenia, Briton, the Selucids, Carthage, Numidia and Pre-Marian Rome for non-mounted missile troops. Especially when you consider they can snatch Baeleric slingers and retrain them for +3 attack as well.

2) Exellent buffs all round. Makes units like Scutarii, slingers, skirmishers, etc. Worthwhile well into the game.

3) Wealthiest Barbarians. Spain is a fairly fertile place with good trade routes; Spain starts in a better economic position than any other Barbarian.

4) Free punching bag. Spain can use North Africa as a slave-tap by building small, mobile armies to rob Numidia blind in cycled phases of enslavement; this helps them get their needed units more rapidly.

Summary: Spain differs immensely from other 'hard' nations in that there is very little cheese to exploit. The only faction that equals them for toughness is Numidia who can at least conquor Carthage very quickly giving them the ability to train their best soldiers. No matter how good you are they're always going to be a long, possibly rather boring, slog.

posted 15 April 2005 15:40 EDT (US)     6 / 36  
The only time I played a Spanish campaign I found it rather easy. In 5-6 turns you can control all of the Iberian peninsula, at which point you will find it difficult to lose. Spain is potentially very rich, particularly if your troops have a very low upkeep. Not only is there a surprising amount of trade available but you can build mines in almost every province. You don't need to spend too much on your army to defend it either as there is virtually no chance of suffering an invasion from Africa. This means you can concentrate a large army in Osca, with a few strategically-placed forts, and keep a token garrison everywhere else. The money you save can be spent on improving your cities much more rapidly than most barbarian civs can.

The weakness of their troop selection is also less significant in campaign. As has been mentioned, they get a great selection of buffing temples. However, this isn't all. Because they seldom need to fight on more than one front at a time it is easy to concentrate all your most experienced troops in one army and let them gather a LOT of experience through constant fighting. Even round-shields, when you get them up to silver or gold experience with weapon/armour upgrades, can be very effective.

The main annoyance is the problem Dad-savage pointed out where you can't train bull warriors with exp upgrades. This isn't such a major problem though. Because Spain is so easily defensible you can afford to devote a few cities to training nothing but bull warriors. They may not be the best value for money but if you have enough of them in one force they can be unstoppable. In campaign the cost is irrelevant.

In the end I got bored because I was marching around the map with full-flag armies packed with bull warriors stomping everything in my path. There wasn't any variety because the Spanish troops selection is so limited. Maybe I'll mod them to give them a few more troops and then give it another go.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
posted 15 April 2005 16:15 EDT (US)     7 / 36  
The experience problem can be fixed by some easy typing in export_descr_buildings. I'm really looking forward to the release of EB, then Spain will be a powerful faction...

Ahm Heribeus
Is a suits murmur
posted 15 April 2005 16:50 EDT (US)     8 / 36  
Wouldn't they be the Visigoths, not Spain/Iberia?

posted 15 April 2005 16:59 EDT (US)     9 / 36  
I did fairly well with Spain as well. (h/vh) Following the opening moves guide (something i don't normally look at) I was able to take numantia and corduba as soon as I could move all of the starting troops to them. I was the richest faction in 262 BC. Once you run into the julii in europe and the scipii in africa you can field bull warriors. Bull warriors completely and totally pwn pre-marian roman units. Even round shields can be lethal vs the AI. Any cavalry in any numbers can be lethal vs the AI.
posted 15 April 2005 18:21 EDT (US)     10 / 36  
I love spain in terms of geography. Take spain over and seek out the remaining armies forts on the pyrnees pass and the northen beach pass and thats spain secured. Sit back build up then attack gaul at your own rate.

The infantry is crap though bull wariors are good but you can't produce them for ages. As for Iberian infantry they're just auful pure auful, not much up from a roman town watch. Scurti I actually like As did the romans look well and you'll see they're clones of legionaries, actually the other way round. Obviosly legionaries are better but the frame work was laided out by the spaniards.

Long sheilds are reliable but they have no cav you could say are battle winners and they're missle units are appalling.

posted 15 April 2005 18:58 EDT (US)     11 / 36  
Yeah, I love Spain's geography, too. They're cut off by mountains to the north, and sea on all other sides. If you block off the mountain passes you only have to worry about naval invasion.

However, any faction can be good in the campaign. Just because they're good in campaign, doesn't mean they're a good faction. Look at the Greek Cities. They're one of the best and most fun campaigns, but they're terrible for online play, IMO.

posted 15 April 2005 20:51 EDT (US)     12 / 36  

Quote:

They get average cav, okay, they can't get good high level cav but so what

You won't say "so what" when enemy cavalry steamroller over your infantry.

Quote:

They get good infantry; bull warriors, scutarii

They are good...until they meet the enemy.
posted 15 April 2005 22:25 EDT (US)     13 / 36  

Quoted from DKIII:

Wouldn't they be the Visigoths, not Spain/Iberia?

No; the Visigoths came into Spaina round the time of the fall of Rome. Prior to Roman conquest, it was inhabited bu Celtic and Celtiberian tribes, and a few Barcid Carthaginians.

posted 15 April 2005 23:37 EDT (US)     14 / 36  
Yeah, you're right. I thought the Romans held Iberia for a while longer than they actually did. My mistake

posted 16 April 2005 03:16 EDT (US)     15 / 36  
Basque rebels defending Roncesvalles against Roland.... = Heroic Victory.
posted 16 April 2005 10:13 EDT (US)     16 / 36  
Bull warriors can beat pretorian guards in a one on one fight if they use warcry, I've tested this but I have found that even with warcry they still lose to urban cohorts.
posted 16 April 2005 16:51 EDT (US)     17 / 36  
It's "Espana" not "Spain". Don't be racist.
posted 16 April 2005 18:44 EDT (US)     18 / 36  
^90% of the world refers Spain as Spain. And isn't supposely Hispania?

posted 16 April 2005 18:55 EDT (US)     19 / 36  
Espana is the Spanish spelling. Hispania is the English spelling of the Spanish word. Spain is an English word. I don't know why, but the English language mangles the names of many places in Europe. That is unless you are mistakenly referring to Hispaniola.

Spain is not the best faction, but in campaign, it is not the worst. Gaul is busy with other factions, so you can take Numantia, Carthage is also busy, so you can take Corduba. You now have to defend three passes in the Pyrenees, and against naval assaults. Your trade routes are good, but not the best, and your growth rate is non too shabby. Scutarii and Bull Warrioirs will take out any pre-Marian infantry, and Round Shields will hold off Equites. Rome's weakness is its pre-Marian units, which many factions can beat with their later units.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 16 April 2005 18:55 EDT (US)     20 / 36  
To Carloz

Befor you go around totting your "enlightened" and nationalistic view of the world cultures, please get it right.

It is "Espaņa", not "Espana".

And no, "Hispania" was the name of a province claimed in the name of the Spanish Royal Crown during the age of discovery. I believe it was Columbus who first discovered the island.

-Ron

posted 16 April 2005 20:34 EDT (US)     21 / 36  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispania

posted 16 April 2005 21:11 EDT (US)     22 / 36  
Considering that people from Spain are of European stock, how is calling it Spain or Espaņa racist? Is that like calling the country called Deutschland "Germany," is that racist too?

And...guys, please don't think that Wikipedia is anything more than a slightly glorified chat board...If I were you guys, I'd double or triple verify what I read there.

But if you really want to take something out of that wikipedia quote, take this:

Quote:

Hispania was the name given by the Romans to the Iberian Peninsula, and to two of the three provinces they created there: Hispania Baetica and Hispania Tarraconensis (the third being Lusitania).

Quote:

And no, "Hispania" was the name of a province claimed in the name of the Spanish Royal Crown during the age of discovery. I believe it was Columbus who first discovered the island.

Try Hispaniola, Vissario. Discovered on what day of the week, btw?
posted 16 April 2005 22:03 EDT (US)     23 / 36  
Ok, Espaņa...whatever.

Under that logic, is it racist calling China "China" instead of "中", or Russia "Russia" instead of "Россия"?

posted 16 April 2005 22:05 EDT (US)     24 / 36  
According to LOTS of people, the old 7 bit 128 character e-mail system was anglo-racism on the web, prohibiting characters like the Spanish enye or an accented character of some type.
posted 16 April 2005 22:08 EDT (US)     25 / 36  
That's why we have Unicode.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Why Spain doesn't suck
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames