Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Interesting way to play the Britons
posted 10 May 2005 16:06 EDT (US)   
So I've been using Britons to test out my various tweaks to other AI factions, as I'm able to retreat back to my island and just hit end turn forever.
This stops me from interfering in any way with the other factions so I can just observe.
Well after about 80 years, I got bored.
Amazingly enough, if you have the 3 island regions you start with +Tara, you have an ok economy. I was able to fund a full stack army of mostly chosen swordsmen, with some woads, head hurlers and a few chariots mixed.
I was also able to fund a full stack of large boats.

So, I sent this army to sail around the Iberian peninsula, and headed towards Italy. I landed at Tarentum and took it, and am now building a 2nd army to continue conquest of Italy.
So far I've fought about 10 full stacks of post marius Scipii and Julii troops. Interestingly, the Brutii havent bothered to abandon their assault of lands east to come retake their capital.

Anyhow, thought I'd share this for anyone who'd like to play a Briton campaign in a little bit different way. I know my first Briton campaign was a snorefest of using light chariots in cantabarian circles to slowly decimate enemy armies.
I'm finding that not fighting at all until I'm fully developed (as is the enemy) is much more interesting.

Replies:
posted 10 May 2005 16:48 EDT (US)     1 / 18  
Kinda like a delayed migration, except you don't give up your home provinces. Neat

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 10 May 2005 16:52 EDT (US)     2 / 18  

Quote:

So, I sent this army to sail around the Iberian peninsula, and headed towards Italy.

Wow, you must have had an enormous fleet to get by the Spanish fleet, the Gallic one, the Carthaginian one, the Scipii one, the Julii, a bit of Greek. Wow. Nice stuff there. I was thinking of playing a Briton campaign. Now you've motivated me even more. Thanks.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 10 May 2005 17:00 EDT (US)     3 / 18  
The thought of pressing the turn button 180 times is the downside.
posted 10 May 2005 19:25 EDT (US)     4 / 18  

Quote:

Wow, you must have had an enormous fleet to get by the Spanish fleet, the Gallic one, the Carthaginian one, the Scipii one, the Julii, a bit of Greek. Wow. Nice stuff there. I was thinking of playing a Briton campaign. Now you've motivated me even more. Thanks.

I wasnt at war with anyone yet, so nobody tried to stop me.

Quote:

The thought of pressing the turn button 180 times is the downside.

Was alot more than that...that was the 3rd consecutive campaign I had been clicking away at. That was why I finally got completely bored and started playing this one.

As far as how I started-
-Razed and abandoned Sambarinova (sp?). Moved those units and the army next to it on my boat and dropped them near Londinium.
-Gathered up a force and moved it to take Tara.
-Disbanded everything except for bare minimum garrison and set taxes to VH in all 4 regions.
- Queue up for building anything you can every turn, starting with farm then economy buildings first. I went with the +trade temple at first as well.
Eventually you'll see your economy grow quite well. Only thing you really need to manage is keeping an eye on pop growth...you dont want it to go to 0 or negative.

[This message has been edited by Mcbashin (edited 05-10-2005 @ 07:40 PM).]

posted 10 May 2005 19:55 EDT (US)     5 / 18  
hmm as I just did a windows/rome reinstall i think i will try that out.... except with the MM mod.
posted 10 May 2005 23:22 EDT (US)     6 / 18  
I did the opposite with Carthage. I left my original starting territories and went to Britain. Now all British cities have 12000+ population, and Londinium has 30000! But, I got bored with this and so I haven't done much else with the campaign.

I came, I saw, and I couldn't believe my eyes! Julius Caesar Asterix in Britain.
posted 11 May 2005 00:09 EDT (US)     7 / 18  
Interesting stuff going on in this campain now. Check out the Pontus and Dacia powerhouses!
I dont think I've ever seen any AI faction taking out Egypt before.

http://flamevault.com/~mcbashin/brit.jpg

[This message has been edited by Mcbashin (edited 05-11-2005 @ 00:11 AM).]

posted 11 May 2005 00:58 EDT (US)     8 / 18  
WOW. That is weird. Carthage controls W. Africa, Germania controls N. Europe, Pontus actually beat Egypt, Dacia (of all factions!) actually survived.

I've seen the Seleucids beat Egypt before... once. That was the same game the Senate went insane and outlawed everybody for no reason.

posted 11 May 2005 01:13 EDT (US)     9 / 18  
I've had the Seleucids defeating the Egyptian twice. Once was because I sent an large force to go killing Egyptian armies to break the Seleucid-Egyptian stalemate.

posted 11 May 2005 03:11 EDT (US)     10 / 18  
Last 5 campaigns I've played Dacia had at least 10 territories and had neutered Thrace and Germania.

Life is full of challenges. You can either step up to them, or step out of the way. The ones who step up, are the ones who will someday rule the world.
posted 11 May 2005 03:48 EDT (US)     11 / 18  
I decided to try this out for myself.

The Britons have a good economy given that you're not at war with whoever owns the western coast of Europe. If you can't trade with Samarobriva and others, you're really screwed. I went from losing 600 denarii in Londinium to making 300+ after the Germans took it (who, strangely, allied with me).

I certainly can't field a full-stack army and navy, though.

posted 11 May 2005 03:49 EDT (US)     12 / 18  
You can when your cities are fully upgraded.
posted 11 May 2005 03:50 EDT (US)     13 / 18  
Ah, yeah, I didn't get 80 years in

posted 11 May 2005 19:00 EDT (US)     14 / 18  
I decided to try something different. I started as the Spanish. Gave all my territory to Carthage and migrated to Britain.

I want to see if the Carthaginians having that extra territory will make them more powerful later on. At least now they should survive the Scipii onslaught even if they lose their African holdings they will just become a European nation.

posted 11 May 2005 19:20 EDT (US)     15 / 18  
I gave the Germans a port to start with and migrated to Britain. My economy is terrible, worse than it was on the mainland. I can barely afford my family members and a couple spear warbands

posted 13 May 2005 16:19 EDT (US)     16 / 18  
Silly rabbit, Briton is for Britons!
posted 13 May 2005 22:17 EDT (US)     17 / 18  
Mcbashin.. have you been smokin something??
posted 13 May 2005 22:58 EDT (US)     18 / 18  
No.....

Why?

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Interesting way to play the Britons
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames