You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Who do you think is the best ROMAN faction?
posted 28 February 2006 12:08 EDT (US)   
Hi, I am new here so I don't really know if there's already a topic on this but who do you think is the best roman faction? I like the Brutii 'cause of the mars temples.
Replies:
posted 28 February 2006 12:17 EDT (US)     1 / 15  
It's really what you are looking for.

If you want an easy ride, or a beginner, or don't want a super-sized ecomany or even just to attack Barberian cultures, Julii are best.

If you want to have a challenging game against volcainoes, earthquakes and Cathage and Eygptions, love gold armoured troops, brilliant navies as well as haveing to trapse miles between aftican provences, Scipii are for you.

Brutii, on the other hand, have a way into greece, the largest moneymakeing area in RTW, do battle agaisnt the Phalanxes and phalagnites and have massive battles from the word go (Whenever I seige thermon, no less than 3 full flag greek armies attack me on M/m mode), as well as haveing the experiance bonus from Mars's temple, then go play with them.

Troop wise they are all the sameexcept that the Julii are better- they have the best colour scheme !

P.S: Welcome to the forums

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 02-28-2006 @ 12:17 PM).]

posted 28 February 2006 12:42 EDT (US)     2 / 15  
I enjoy the Scipii for the reasons just mentioned. The potential for dominance of the mediterianian is certainly there. Lately though, I prefer to play the Greeco-forces as I don't have to be the constant puppet of a senate that takes an eternity to depose.

I guess I also enjoy the Julii in that I like the primitive nature of the European front, but again, that senate....

posted 28 February 2006 18:18 EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Scipii.
The challange is the best thing.

WWW.C3LL.NET - War is C3ll
Official RTWH Spelling Enforcement Officer
Voted The Most Normal Looking Forumer, 2005
The saddest sight in all the world is a battle lost. The second saddest sight is a battle won.
posted 28 February 2006 19:35 EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Scipii have Deceres and Arcani, don't they? Anyways, I don't really play as the Romans, so I don't really care. But I like the Julii best because of the colors.

Blah!
posted 28 February 2006 20:12 EDT (US)     5 / 15  
All Roman factions have the Arcani.

I think the Julii are fun, but I like Scipii. They have a bit more of an economic challange, and I like being able to launch military campaigns any place I want, and not have to worry about an invashion in my home lands.

[This message has been edited by axel5656 (edited 03-01-2006 @ 11:25 AM).]

posted 28 February 2006 21:45 EDT (US)     6 / 15  
Julii or scipii julii becuase love seeing dead barbarians and scipii for very good navy and fair temples (unlike the julii)
posted 28 February 2006 22:20 EDT (US)     7 / 15  
axel, what I meant was that they have deceres and arcani. Both units. Not just arcani.

Blah!
posted 28 February 2006 23:15 EDT (US)     8 / 15  
I think the Brutii can make the most money on easier settings, but the Julii and Scipii make loads on harder settings.

"..It is easy enough to say that man is immortal because he will endure: that when the last ding-dong of doom has clanged and faded from the last worthless rock hanging tideless in the last red and dying evening, that even then there will still be one more sound: that of his puny inexhaustible voice, still talking..." William Faulkner
posted 01 March 2006 03:13 EDT (US)     9 / 15  
I'm playing as the Scipii on 1.3, VH/H, with a modified units mod where the cost to recruit, upkeep and upgrade all units is divided by four, so many more units can be built...and 255BC, Winter, two Numidian full stacks are beseiging Thapsus. Not too worried - they're only used a two slinger units, one archer unit, and primarily skirmishers and Numidian Cavalry...not much of a match for Hastati and Generals' Bodyguards...I hope...just ram right into them, cause some to rout, and you have a slaughter-fest. That'll teach them Numidians to side with Carthage against me...

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This is Bunny roasting on an open fire. Yummy!

[This message has been edited by Kaidonni (edited 03-01-2006 @ 03:13 AM).]

posted 01 March 2006 09:14 EDT (US)     10 / 15  
Thanks for all the replies guys. I agree with EnemyofJupitor, the scippi ARE fun and challenging. But in my scippi campaign i had several corvus quiquierme (sp?) and they fought against a bunch of numidian biremes, my guys won but 2 out of the 8 corvus's i had sunk! How the heck can that happen? (btw the numidians had 10 biremes)i thought that the corvus's had atleast 5 more attack and defence then biremes the last time i checked...
posted 01 March 2006 11:35 EDT (US)     11 / 15  
The navel system is controlled by campain difficulty, not battle, so if you have it VH, then you will pretty much always get heavy losses.

posted 01 March 2006 14:09 EDT (US)     12 / 15  
well, I mainly judged the armies by thier first impressions, the preview ect

I no i might be wrong but this is the impression I got

Scippi- very religious and come across quite wealthy, probably the newest of the three familys

Julli- basic, norm, very democratic and disiplined, your traditional red romans

Brutti- Dont mess with us. political strength, oldest of the families, traditionalists

But thats just my fiRst impressions so its Up to you, im noT here To tell you whIch faction to play

posted 01 March 2006 14:12 EDT (US)     13 / 15  

Quote:

But thats just my fiRst impressions so its Up to you, im noT here To tell you whIch faction to play

What is up with the capital letters?

WWW.C3LL.NET - War is C3ll
Official RTWH Spelling Enforcement Officer
Voted The Most Normal Looking Forumer, 2005
The saddest sight in all the world is a battle lost. The second saddest sight is a battle won.
posted 02 March 2006 14:14 EDT (US)     14 / 15  
pfff, so much for suttle hints

try reading the whole phrase but only the capital letters...

it spells a word...

might have a little something to do with rome...

a clue...

a hint...

posted 02 March 2006 14:19 EDT (US)     15 / 15  
B...R...U...T..T...I
Brutti?
Brutii, more like

-Of course, all this is is simple codes. Julii could do this. Rule on codes!

That's a code too.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 03-02-2006 @ 02:19 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Who do you think is the best ROMAN faction?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames