Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scythian Help. How the heck do you deal with Testudo
posted 29 March 2006 12:43 EDT (US)   
My Scythian campaign is winding up into a fast paced annihilation match between the Brutii and Macedon, with Macedon currently leading with most soldiers lost in a fruitless assault on a prepared cav archer position at 1100 to 3.

I'm still pre-Marian, but I know it will be coming up before I can destroy all the romans, so I need an answer to formulate a tactical and operational strategy.

When legions go into Testudo, they absorb arrows to the extreme, without taking any significant casulaties. Equipped as the Scythians, what units and types of attacks will consistently punish testudo? I prefer cavalry, as most of my battles will be in the field, but if a particular infantry or siege unit is consistently good enough against it, I'll consider adding it to my field army inventory.

Replies:
posted 29 March 2006 13:34 EDT (US)     1 / 17  
when they enter testudo charge whith headhunting maidens they are efective against armour and i always find those very usefull.

yepp just made a short test on hard dif 2 horsearchers and 4 maidens vs 4 urbans same unit amount same cost and i had 450 units left enemy had none (both had 630 units from start)and they didnt enter testudo but the maidens did most of the killing

if they do enter testudo charge w maidens in wedge formation cous they cant defend themself much in testudo.

Edit:
Yep tryed it as the romans first to see what happen when they charge u while in testudo... Its bad news i tell u one charge and one unit was gone

And after a while of brave fighting i lost the day, rather crushingly...

2nd try
I tryed my best as the romans they sent the horse archers both units on the left flank i put the unit closest towards them and etered testudo. he started shoting an other target afther a while and i put that in testudo.

At the same time i noticed the maidens closeing slowly kept the closest (to archers) in testudo restored the other one Maidens charged me and, not much they fled rather shortly. he continued skirmish so all in testudo untill he was out of arrows and cought me by suprise w a charge but still managed to take em ending w a close wictory...

and his maidens charge full fron im guessing u wont do that.

[This message has been edited by meenos (edited 03-29-2006 @ 02:03 PM).]

posted 29 March 2006 13:51 EDT (US)     2 / 17  
What temple do you need to get the female units? I know there has to be some special combo of temple and stable to get them, but which one is it?
posted 29 March 2006 13:57 EDT (US)     3 / 17  
whatever horse unit you have, just charge it in- This will make the Romans break formation, then you just retreat and start shooting again.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 29 March 2006 14:08 EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Api for maidens Kolkajev or something for chevrons
horsearchers fom basic barack!
posted 29 March 2006 14:26 EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Is it just a matter of way that the tustedo is attacked that will decide if they break formation or not? I had two tustedos against one chariot general from britannia and the first time the chariots attacked he was killed instantly, but the second go around broke the formation and slaughtered the legionary cohorts
posted 29 March 2006 22:15 EDT (US)     6 / 17  
Maneuver your cavalry(prefferably Scythian Nobles) around the testudo and hit them from behind. I've found the back of Testudos to be very weak. If you hit them hard from behind, they should break easily.

[This message has been edited by Alexander332 (edited 03-29-2006 @ 10:16 PM).]

posted 29 March 2006 23:30 EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Assuming the dumbass AI will actually do the Testudo.

Michael Jackson
posted 29 March 2006 23:50 EDT (US)     8 / 17  
If you are not in a hurry, then you can just wait them out. They tire quickly while in the formation, and the AI is too stupid to use the time they have before their troops are exausted properly. Of course, you can always use the vairious heavier cavalry that other people have mentioned to break their formation.

Note: By giving advice for cavalry archer tactics, I am in no way condoning these actions. I shall, forever and always, consider cavalry archers the lowest form of cowardice.

"War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished."
-Julius Caesar
There's no justice like conqueror's justice.

www.nationstates.net

I'm Errikland
posted 30 March 2006 11:23 EDT (US)     9 / 17  
They may be cowards Ruthless, but they kill efficiently and with fewer casualties. I'd think someone called RuthlessGeneral5 would appreciate that.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!"

TacCovert4

posted 30 March 2006 15:51 EDT (US)     10 / 17  
In that case you may want to rename him pansygeneral.

Get in there and fight like a man.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 30 March 2006 17:39 EDT (US)     11 / 17  
just charge cav into them. thay are very week againt any kind of attack (other thatn missle ofcourse) in testudo formation.

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/
posted 30 March 2006 19:30 EDT (US)     12 / 17  
^Which is easy with the Scythians. They have plenty of 10 charge cavalry.
But I've never seen the AI use the Testudo formation.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 31 March 2006 00:10 EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Smash axemen into the testudo. They are anti-armor.

Blah!
posted 01 April 2006 23:27 EDT (US)     14 / 17  
^ I thought that the Scythian axemen weren't AP. I'll have to look into that.

Quote:

They may be cowards Ruthless, but they kill efficiently and with fewer casualties. I'd think someone called RuthlessGeneral5 would appreciate that.

I must admit that you have a point. However, I feel that I must draw the line somewhere. I consider said cowardice to be below the dignity of digital humanity.

If it were an option, I would kill any captured soldiers who weren't previously cavalry archers quickly and fairly painlessly, as opposed to the crusifiction that would face former cavalry archers, barring the discovery of a worse form of execution.

Yes, I hate them that much.
(thank you for the support, lmao)

"War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished."
-Julius Caesar
There's no justice like conqueror's justice.

www.nationstates.net

I'm Errikland
posted 02 April 2006 00:35 EDT (US)     15 / 17  
I thought all axemen were anti-armor

EDIT: Onagers can rip up a testudo. You don't even need flaming ammo.

Blah!

[This message has been edited by spartan2 (edited 04-02-2006 @ 00:40 AM).]

posted 04 April 2006 16:07 EDT (US)     16 / 17  
You get a lot more kills if you use it though.

Testudo is amazing against missiles, but if you charge it with massed cavalry (I am talking about 5 units of Scythian Nobles here), then you will break it faster than you can say "Jack Robinson."

If you want to use chariots against a testudo, then charge along next to it so that the blades on the outermost chariot shave the line of men along the edge off. The AI never replaces them, so it is theoretically possible (although I have never tried it) to take all three sides off, then just shoot them to death with slingers.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 05 April 2006 16:33 EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Shave the formation? Thats so crazy it might just work. Unless they brought toiletpaper with them, then youre just wasting your time :P
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Scythian Help. How the heck do you deal with Testudo
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames