Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: problem
posted 18 May 2006 15:27 EDT (US)   
My computer was a day to be repaired (sound was gone) and now i am coninuing my julii campaign and i am sieging a city of the gauls, and they attack me in the flank, wich is not a problem i can crush them but it loads... and then it just stops( it returns to, i dont know what its called, the starting copmuter screen) what should i do???

one land,one king
Replies:
posted 18 May 2006 15:34 EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Check DirectX 9c is installed.
Check that the latest drivers for your sound card are installed.
Ring the repair shop and bawl them out.

-+- Non sequiturs and weak puns a speciality -+-
posted 18 May 2006 16:42 EDT (US)     2 / 17  
Make sure no game files are altered.
You are experiencing a "CTD" (crash to desktop) which usually occurs because game files have been incorrectly modified.

St Jimmy
Angel face and a taste for suicidal
posted 18 May 2006 16:44 EDT (US)     3 / 17  
Or it may just be random. I have had this happen before and when I replayed the battle it was fine. It is more likely that it has to do with your computer since you got it fixed.

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
posted 18 May 2006 19:00 EDT (US)     4 / 17  
When I first earned the 'Faction destroyed' message my PC crashed back to desktop. I think it was the movie in the message that caused the CTD.

Following technical advice from a forum I upgraded my windows media player to latest version. That fixed the problem.

posted 19 May 2006 15:17 EDT (US)     5 / 17  
i tried that battle 3 times and 3 times it go's back to desktop, and then i tried an other battle and...the same thing happend, apparentley i cant do battles anymore... damn.

edit: i just tried and the funniest thing is.....

i cant even play custom battles!!!! GODDAMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

one land,one king

[This message has been edited by Godfried Van B (edited 05-19-2006 @ 03:25 PM).]

posted 19 May 2006 16:26 EDT (US)     6 / 17  
What did they repair anyway?

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
posted 20 May 2006 00:46 EDT (US)     7 / 17  
I suggest moving all your saves to another directory then uninstall and reinstall. Hope you didnt have a load of patches and mods as presumably you would need to install them again after the reinstall. Once set up again move your saves back in..and hopefully you will be back in the campaign.

Good luck. You must be gutted losing a campaign part way through.

[This message has been edited by Severous (edited 05-21-2006 @ 09:11 AM).]

posted 20 May 2006 03:10 EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Sound effects everything, so a complete uninstall and re-install will give RTW a chance to adjust to the changes.

Follow the path my computer>c:>programs>activision>Rome total war and move the save folder onto your desktop, then unistall rome total war. Follow the path above again and delete the RTW folder and empty the recycle bin.

Next open the start menu and click on run, then type "regedit"

Look in each of the folders there for a software folder and then lookm for any folders called "The Creative Assembly" and delete them. BE VERY CAREFUL AS DELETING THE WRONG THING WILL STOP YOUR COMPUTER WORKING.

Reboot and then re-install RTW and return your save folder., then see how you go.

posted 21 May 2006 03:20 EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Rabidnid i dont get it 100% can somewone explain it maybe in Dutch?
I think i will try Severous his explenation , can i just cut my campaign and battle replays, paste them in 'my documents' and then uninstall rtw then re-install and paste them back in their spot?

one land,one king
posted 21 May 2006 07:00 EDT (US)     10 / 17  
I would guess that if your campaign works, then either export_descr_unit.txt or descr_models_battle.txt is corrupted. If you look in the downloads section, there should be sets of unmodded files for the data folder. Get the one for the game version that you are running and copy it to your data folder.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 22 May 2006 12:53 EDT (US)     11 / 17  
Rabidnid i dont get it 100% can somewone explain it maybe in Dutch?
I think i will try Severous his explenation , can i just cut my campaign and battle replays, paste them in 'my documents' and then uninstall rtw then re-install and paste them back in their spot?

please answer this, because i realy want to play rtw again!
PLEASE!!!!!!

btw i have gold edition

one land,one king

[This message has been edited by Godfried Van B (edited 05-24-2006 @ 10:34 AM).]

posted 24 May 2006 11:13 EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Yes, you can. I would recommend just downloading a backup file from the downloads section for patch 1.3 though. When you have done that, replace the files that Yak mentioned with the files from the download. If this doesn't work, backup your saves and replyes and re-install.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 24 May 2006 14:06 EDT (US)     13 / 17  
I re installed rtw and.... its still the same :-(

what should i do???
that replace thing i dont get, where to download and 1.3? i have gold edition.(1.5 or something)

one land,one king
posted 24 May 2006 14:28 EDT (US)     14 / 17  
If you have Gold Edition you don't have to patch it.

-+- Non sequiturs and weak puns a speciality -+-
posted 25 May 2006 03:46 EDT (US)     15 / 17  
The Total War forum has a technical section. There are some good technical people there...maybe ask the question there?

[This message has been edited by Severous (edited 05-25-2006 @ 05:52 PM).]

posted 25 May 2006 04:29 EDT (US)     16 / 17  
It would be best to ask in the technical section. I'm sure they have some pinned threads and people around who can explain what to do more clearly than I can.
posted 25 May 2006 13:03 EDT (US)     17 / 17  
ok, but can somebody move this to there because starting a new 1 would be silly.
thanx

one land,one king
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » problem
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames