Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Armenia or Parthia?
posted 06 July 2006 05:55 EDT (US)   
Both factions have similarites only being able to recruit fairly weak units to begin with and thereafter having a cataphract and horse archer combo. But which is better and why?

For me after playing a couple of campaigns with both I would definitely say Armenia. I really think they have one of the securest strategic starting positions on the map. To the North Scythia are too far away to pose any major threat at the beginning and if needs be you can stall them by blocking off the passes with forts. To the south and east Parthia and Seleucids are too busy fighting each other and Egypt to pose any initial threat. The Egyptians will leave you alone until either you or they take Antioch. The main threat is Pontus and here I found the best way was to make a dash with all the troops in Kotais the field army and the cataphracts in Artaxarta. Meantime I took the rest of the troops from Artaxarta and made a dash for Phraspa. This is important as its a good money spinner and when you take it the Parthians will leave you alone for the moment. I found that best way to proceed was advance west into asia minor eventually beating the seleucids, while keeping an eye on the parthians, enslaving most of the cities I conquered in order to upgrade cities and get access to cata archers. Then eventually knocking out Parthia and taking on the Egyptians. At that point Armenia has pretty decent armies, catas, cata archers, heavy spearmen and legonaries with a few horse archers and cretan mercs thrown in for good measure. When the time comes to fight Rome hopefully it will be pre Marius and the missile cavalry and catas will be able to hold their own against infantry dependent armies.

My Parthia campaigns in contrast were a disaster and I quit them in frustration in the end. I expanded into seleucid territory at first, while leaving armenia alone as I'd bigger fish to fry. Maybe that was a mistake as the Egyptians beat me to Dumatha and used it as a base to launch attacks against Susa and Seleucia. Meantime the Pontics expanded incredibly taking all of asia minor from tarsus westwards as well as armenia which they then used to attack my weakly held northern cities. Eventually they took hatra, splitting my empire in two leaving me with the antioch/sinope/cyprus strip under permanent siege from the Pontic/Egyptian alliance. How does Parthia survive early on? They have no infantry of note and it takes a while before you can get catas.

So I would alway go for armenia on the basis of the cata archers, better infantry and better starting position.

Replies:
posted 06 July 2006 08:04 EDT (US)     1 / 8  
Horse Archers are your most important unit. Period. In the beginning, if you can raise enough of them (8 to 12, I'd say), you can cause some pretty nasty damage with them. The Eastern Infantry and Hillmen are useful versus cavalry units, and useful in sieges to an extent (capturing towers, pushing the ram, etc). Later on you do get the better infantry. However, your cavalry, above all else, are very important despite those better infantry units. You can exhaust enemy armies with your cavalry archer based units, and when you run out of ammunition, a good charge is all it takes to make your opponent rout like frightened fluffy bunnies (well...sometimes...though sheer numbers can bog the enemy down, especially their cavalry...especially their generals...and it can be in your favour...just need to exhaust the enemy and deplete your ammunition while causing maximum damage before moving to hand-to-hand like this).

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This is Bunny roasting on an open fire. Yummy!

[This message has been edited by Kaidonni (edited 07-06-2006 @ 08:05 AM).]

posted 06 July 2006 08:58 EDT (US)     2 / 8  
What I've noticed is that Parthia doesn't survive for that long at all. I've seen them destroyed within the first twenty years in the game. I tried playing the Parthian campaign and I can do pretty well until I fight Egypt. Their attacks are so relentless and they never seemed to run out of armies. On top of all that, the parthian units aren't reliable at all until you get cataphracts and that takes forever.

I found this to be really disappointing because historically, Parthia was THE major power in the east. I thought it would be cool to fight the romans as well.

I came, I saw, I conquered
-Gaius Julius Caesar

"I am 35 years old, I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van down by the river!"
-Matt Foley, motivational speaker

War is hell
-William T. Sherman
posted 06 July 2006 10:24 EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Armenia is good if you can get your family members on a boat with a small force and migrate to Rhodes. From there, the level is high enough for you to build Horse Archer Cataphracts and Royal Spearmen or whatever they are called.

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
posted 06 July 2006 10:58 EDT (US)     4 / 8  
Parthia can survive by quickly taking out Sceludia (the settlement), gaining the hanging gardens, then stocking up on horse archers and take the territories to the east to meet the black sea in one continus slog. Then spill into Pontus nad mop up the rest of the middle East.
May try an armenian campain, though

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 06 July 2006 12:19 EDT (US)     5 / 8  
I found this to be really disappointing because historically, Parthia was THE major power in the east.

I wonder if this is because of the geography hardwired into RTW. Countries at the edge of the map, such as Parthia, are effectively much smaller and are limited by geography in where they can go. Playing the Brutii you basically get to conquer the Greeks before they get any good, and as the Julii you can take out Gaul and Germany. As Carthage you can pick off the Scipii in manageable chunks: Caralis, Palma, Sicily.

Parthia OTOH either has to advance north, where the cities are widely-separated, or engage some quite powerful opponents almost immediately. Historically ISTR PArthai went off the eastern edge of the RTW map so would have had quite a bit more weight than the game gives it.

posted 06 July 2006 12:54 EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Try RTR

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 06 July 2006 13:42 EDT (US)     7 / 8  
I'm playing as Parthia right now an this was my strategy.. The very first thing I did was withdraw my army from campus sakae... its useless and really isolated. I then attacked the rebel town west of my capital (quite a breadbasket early on) then i massed another small army of horse archers and eastern infantry (ram pushing) to take over Selucia (also quite good) I purposefully didnt go for the rebel town south of Susa because it was a drain on my already thin finances and it created a bigger front with Egypt. Next I conquered the cities of Armenia in order before they became too powerful.. Now if your do most of this with a young somewhat talented general he should be around 5-6 stars. Next using the same general i took over Hatra. Up to this point I did this all fairly easily and without casulaties by bribing enemy armies to disband. The cost of doing so most of the time is less than raising more troops to beat them. If a leader also ventured out into the open on his own I tried to ambush and kill him. Next I took Antioch and Sidon with the same strategy and now I'm waging wars with Selecid and Egypt.
posted 06 July 2006 13:53 EDT (US)     8 / 8  
With Parthia, there is relatively difficult start, very easy middle and the end depends on the way you played - if you captured Rome early enough (good idea), you wonīt have much trouble. If you let Rome grow (bad idea :-)), you are in serious trouble.

Parthia has an edge over Armenia in one thing - elephants. In later stages, they are the only thing which seriously hurts your opponent (catas arenīt that effective as well as horse archers arenīt).

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Armenia or Parthia?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames