Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: seige towers!!
posted 20 September 2006 22:38 EDT (US)   
I was taking a stone walled city so I decided to use seige towers to get in. So I get my troops to bring it to the wall, then the greek narrator guy says the seige tower has done it work. Well I try geting troops in but it wouldn't let me. Luckly I had sappers to destroy the wall (destroyed my seige tower to lol). So i need to know how do you use seige towers?
Replies:
posted 20 September 2006 22:55 EDT (US)     1 / 10  
I have that problem a lot too. The way I fix it, is to double click on the wall top, stop them so a bunch of troops sort of 'spread' into the tower and you can get them to climb it. Problem mostly solved. Just keep on repeating it.

But thats a shitty way to play. Forget siege towers as a means to mount the wall. I just use them to wipe out the defenders. Onagers and sap points are what I use to destroy walls.

My strategy for taking a town is to make as many holes in the wall as possible and assault them simultaneously.

The more holes in the wall, the better you can take the city.

No bypassing the swear filter.
-yak

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.

[This message has been edited by yakcamkir (edited 09-21-2006 @ 04:44 AM).]

posted 20 September 2006 23:06 EDT (US)     2 / 10  
Whats up with the cursing! There is no reason for the f word.
posted 21 September 2006 04:56 EDT (US)     3 / 10  
You use siege towers to get troops up them slowly. When it reaches the wall, they climb up it, the bridge falls and they run across it. The advantage of Siege Towers is that they fire arrows or bolts at the enemy on the walls.

I generally use ladders to get my troops up fast into the corners of the city where the Ai doesn't defend and siege towers to provide fire support while I take the gatehouses and the wall towers. That way, I have the missile advantage and the enemy troops are killed off by their own towers, my siege towers and any missile troops I have on the walls.They usually carry on until there are two or three units worth left (although there may be ten tiny units) and then cower in the square.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 21 September 2006 05:21 EDT (US)     4 / 10  
One big advantage with siege towers over ladders are that with towers, a big part of your unit reaches the top of the wall at the same time, and that gives you smaller losses compared to comming up 2 at a time as you do with ladders.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 21 September 2006 06:22 EDT (US)     5 / 10  
true. also with ladders you generally take more casualties from projectiles (less cover).
One advantage a ladders though is they take less to construct, so instead of one tower you can have 2 or 3 ladders.
They're also harder to burn.

"Men make gods in their own image; those of the Ethiopians are black and snub-nosed, those of the Thracians have blue eyes and red hair."
Xenophanes

Where I work. Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol business
Costa del Sol Blog
posted 21 September 2006 07:27 EDT (US)     6 / 10  
Ladders get your troops up quicker. Also, if you go for a corner, particularly one that isn't covered by a tower, then you can get several units up onto the walls without the AI noticing. You can then move towards the gates, stopping with one tower between your men and the gates, so the enemy come through the doors one at a time to face your lines. Combine that with a general below for the command bonus and possibly a siege tower or two for fire support and you have a winning force. It ia also worth sending a light unit to run around the walls and take all the towers (I generally use skirmishers for this). That way, the enemy units inside the city get shot by the towers, whittling them down and the AI isn't intelligent enough to retake them.

Skirmishers are excellent here, as they can stand where they can fire at the units inside the walls but out of the fields of fire of the towers. By turning fire at will off and only turning ig on when they are standing above a stationary unit, you can dish out huge amounts of hurt. I have done it with two full units of Velites on a unit of Hoplites (about 70 men) and killed nearly forty in the first volley. That volley fire is absolutely devastating on a stationary unit. Another time, I used three units of Libyan Mercenaries on a unit of Elephants when I was attacking Carthage. One volley (although it was a volley of about 235 javelins) caused them to run amok instantly, charging into the Carthagnian faction leader and killing about ten of his bodyguard (one of those unexpected bonuses that you occasionally get). The same can be said for archers and slingers, but skirmishers are far more effective at this particular job.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

posted 22 September 2006 07:23 EDT (US)     7 / 10  
yakcamkir is right, as usual. His spear-chuckers don't have much ammo, tho, even if you've turned off fire at will - those spears DO HURT tho!

If the city has many defenders, I prefer archers/slingers because they have so much ammo. Also, even on the smallest stone walls the extra height gives these guys an almost crazy distance bonus!

Do the towers/gates seem to have ANY limit to how much ammo they have? On timed battles, anyway, it seems they'll shoot for as long as the battle lasts. (Recently took Corinth with 6 seconds to spare! - the closest I've ever come to losing a battle because timed out.)

posted 22 September 2006 07:36 EDT (US)     8 / 10  
I've never known them to run out and I have fought out siege battles that lasted over an hour.

The important thing about volley firing is that all the javelins go together. Therefore, the enemy don't have the time to move, so nearly all of them hit.

posted 22 September 2006 10:39 EDT (US)     9 / 10  
They do run out. The proof is thus:
Get some non-missile infantry (Including infantry) to hold teh seige tower.
Notice a blue bar pops up on the unit card? That's the ammo bar you see with other missile infantry.

I think all seige towers can shoot about 45 seconds if in constant range of the enemy on the walls. However, the stone wall ones shoot arrows and slower than the ballista-shooting large and Epic ones. It also seems that missile infantry (Including leigons) can boost the amount of ammo at a cost of their own.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 22 September 2006 10:50 EDT (US)     10 / 10  
He was talking about the wall towers.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » seige towers!!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames