You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Newbies' guide to HG & TWH & "Hi, I'm new here or just returned" thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 11 April 2007 16:09 EDT (US)   
So you've come to Rome: Total War Heaven (or RTWH for short). This is a guide to help you get settled in and make the most of the Heaven.

Firstly welcome. We're delighted to have you here and hope you enjoy it.

Total War Heaven grew out of the original Rome Total War Heaven (the one you're in), then expanded to include the other Total War games as they came out. First to be added was Medieval II Total War Heaven, then Empire, and Napoleon. These were followed by Shogun II and Rome II Total War Heavens.

Each Heaven has its own articles database, its own forums (more or less), and its own staff assigned to it, but we are basically one big Total War community. Basically we're crazy about the Total War games so we'd be nuts to go elsewhere. The current forum population spans all ages from 13 right up to the mid-forties and hails from all parts of the globe.

The site is as good as you make it. Even the staff are volunteers. For every contribution you make, you can sleep soundly at night knowing that you have helped stick another block in the great collosseum that is TWH. (There is more than moral satisfaction to be gained however: if you write enough articles for the site, you can gain the rare prestige of a custom title...)

************************************************************ ************************************

Basic stuff you need to know in a Q&A format.

Who are those guys in green, orange, & red?
They are the HeavenGames staff and help to make this Heaven what it is. They moderate the forums, handle submissions, add content and generally do everything needed to keep the site running.

Current staff at RTWH are: Seraph Terikel (he's in charge), and Angels Awesome Eagle and General Sajaru. For the rest of TWH and the community forums, there are also: the Seraph Scipii; Angel Swamprat and Pitt; and Cherub DominicusUltimus.

Who are those blue guys?
These are very special people. They are VIPs or representatives of the game programmers. We had a few people from CA and Feral Interactive (they made the Mac version of RTW) who drop in from time to time.

How do I get fancy formats in my posts on the forums?
Above the posting area is a toolbar which gives you quick access to formatting options. Simply select the text you want to format and hit the corresponding button, or hit the button and the type what you've got to say between the codes that have just appeared.

What’s this CoC you hear people on about?
That’s our Code of Conduct. You can read it here.

************************************************************ ************************************

RTWH site itself

Game info
This is an overview of the game with some basic information about it.

FAQ
The Frequently Asked Questions page has some basic questions about RTW like minimum specs required to run the game and the answers. If there is something you think should be there but it isn’t, then contact a staff member.

Factions
This page lists some of the factions in RTW. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can write up a faction overview yourself.

Gallery
This is where you can view screenshots of the game. I think that you'll agree that they look brilliant. If you want to see your own screenshots in the Gallery, just send them to a RTWH moderator (.tga, .png, .bmp, .jpg or .gif format please).

Strategy
This is where you will be able to find articles on RTW strategy and this is where YOU can have a big input. The articles are submitted by forumers on the Heaven and they get full credit for writing them. It’s possible to become quite famous if you write an original and high quality strategy article for the game - and don't forget that custom title...

Cheats
Some forumers may want a little “help” during their campaign game and all the cheats are here. (These can't be used in online play I'm afraid, they only affect single player mode. ) They are okay to use because they don't require cracks or hacks.

Community

Forums
For many forumers & visitors to HG, this is what the site is all about. You can talk about the total war games, the history of the period and general chit-chat in the community forum, known as the Red Lion Tavern.
More about the individual forums in a bit.

Links
HG does Heavens for many many games and you are very welcome to visit them. Just remember that when you travel “abroad”, you are representing TWH so be nice to people and bear in mind that they may have a different ethos to the folks here so be respectful.

Everything you need to know about the individual forums but were afraid to ask
The forums and what they are for.

Forum Rules & Guidelines
This is a link giving information about the various rules that apply on the forums. It straightforward enough. You must be 13 or older. Personal attacks & harassment are not tolerated and don’t talk about activities that are banned by law [taking drugs, etc.]. There is a zero tolerance policy regarding hacks, cracks or any abuse of copyrighted material. This applies to all copyrighted material, not just Total War games.

Moderation Announcements
Rude people end up in here. Don’t be one of them please.

Rome: Total War Discussion
This is where it’s at for most forumers. Anything and everything about RTW can be discussed here.
If there is already a topic on what you want to discuss, please don’t start a new one. Use the search function at the bottom of the page to see if there is already a thread on your topic. The reason for this is that it can be frustrating to have to answer the same question over and over. Use the newbie FAQ up the top if you are unsure. We were all new once so nobody will judge you for it.
We’re here to have fun so there is no problem with having a bit of fun but do try and keep the chat RTW related.

Strategy Discussions
If you want to reveal your deviously brilliant strategies to the world, this is the place to do it. Generally it applies to battlefield strategies but if you have a strategy for preventing money problems, then you can post that here too.

Multiplayer Discussions
This is where you can discuss anything to do with multiplayer from challenging other players to posting/discussing multiplayer battle strategies.

This is also home to RTWH's Multiplayer Ladder, a kind of league for us to play against each other (and score points). All skill levels and players are very much welcome.

Barbarian Invasion Expansion
The RTW: Barbarian Invasion expansion pack can be discussed here.

Alexander Expansion
The RTW: Alexander expansion pack can be discussed here.

Game Modification & Editor Discussion
For those who would like to make modifications to their game (major or minor), this is the place to stop by.

Technical Help & Bug Reporting
If you have a technical problem with your computer or with loading/running/installing the game, this is the place to come. We’ve some very helpful forumers in TWH and somebody will be along to help you soon enough.

Medieval & Shogun Total War
These were the first two games in the Total War series and while old, they are still played by some people. Drop by here if you want to talk about them.

Red Lion Tavern
This is our community forum where we get together to talk about everything not related to Total War games. We have all sorts of chat here. Don't be afraid to join in. We're a nice bunch really. There's no need to go crazy in an attempt to get yourself known. It can be hard coming into a forum where everybody seems to know everybody else. Just be yourself and chill out. We joke and tease here as well as have rocking debates so there's something for everybody. As long as you don't spam or flame, you'll be very welcome here.

Don't forget to fill out the Census or post up your pic in the Forumer Gallery thread. Our Mafia games are also very popular.

Total War History
We have some right clever uns here in TWH and this is where they talk about history. Try and keep the history somewhat related to the Total War game periods. Too many threads about WW2 would mean that it isn’t really a Total War History forum anymore.

The Bardic Circle
We’ve got some talented writers here who are inspired by the games they play to write up stories about their campaigns, favorite generals, the lowly man-at-arms fighting battle after battle - or, occasionally, something completely unrelated. Please show respect for others' attempts. It may not be very good but constructive criticism can often help writers turn their stories into minor masterpieces.

Website Comments & Announcements
If you have any suggestions or comments on the site content, this is the place to put it.

Outside Discussions
The Red Lion Tavern is our community forum but there are lots of other Heavens and they all have their own community forums. HeavenGames also has it’s own main webpage to which all the individual Heavens are linked. Outside Discussions is the community forum for that main webpage.

A few words of caution before you rush in and start posting because it is quite different to our own community forum. Before you post there, lurk for a bit and get a feel for the place. Don’t start new threads right away. Some of the forumers there are on HG quite a long time and newbies can take time to be accepted there.
A general rule of thumb is that nothing, absolutely nothing there is to be taken seriously. About the worst thing you can do on your first few posts is to get offended by something posted there or post something serious. If you have any questions about the rest of HG, email a mod or another forumer.

The Library
This is the place on the HG main portal to have debates or to discuss current affairs. The activity level rises and falls over time. Some of the debates get quite heated so always remember to debate the points and not the forumer because that’s an ad hominem and ad hominems get you into trouble.

Remember that when outside TWH, you are representing the Heaven as a whole. How you behave, reflects on the entire population of TWH so be nice and people will be nice back to you.

Anything that has been left out can be added in. Likewise, you can ask general questions about TWH/HG here if you like.

Substantially updated -Edorix
And again substantially updated -Terikel

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-12-2015 @ 02:50 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06 May 2007 12:00 EDT (US)     1 / 56  
Ya know, most people cant be arsed to even read this thread. This forum is full of repition

The great part is that Scab is apparently among such people. Yes. Greek Scab. My minion. -Stormraider

"Please don't grind on my wench and herr" - Bleedteals sister, asking me and herr not to grind her but mispelling

If he's not trolling I'll strip myself naked, paint myself green, and cheer for Ireland. -Coldviper. I'm still waiting for the proof....
posted 06 May 2007 15:34 EDT (US)     2 / 56  
Thanks for putting this here Gaius. I never knew there was such a page back when it was only in the MTW section, because I never went there (seeing as I do not have MTW 1 or 2). I only found out about it because someone linked to it for me. Was that you?

P.S. Am I the only one who thinks "Call of Cthulhu" when they see CoC?

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 05-06-2007 @ 03:54 PM).]

posted 08 May 2007 16:09 EDT (US)     3 / 56  
I think it was Hell3ent who linked it for you. Glad you found it of use SubRosa.

Greek, it has been repeated in this forum because we have forumers who play RTW but not M2TW and they would not see it otherwise.
For somebody who is on parole from a permanent ban, your behaviour in a number of threads has been less than exemplary. I suggest that you improve your attitude if you want your stay on HG to continue. Consider this a final verbal warning.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

posted 29 September 2007 14:45 EDT (US)     4 / 56  
Hail to all my fellow warriors from the world or RTW. Okay, maybe that was a little corny. I've followed the threads for a while now, was just recently able to register and come on...so...yeah. thought I'd post something here first, it seemed appropriate.
posted 30 September 2007 04:17 EDT (US)     5 / 56  
Welcome to TWH, ammerghad. I hope you have a good time here.

Hussarknight
posted 01 October 2007 19:09 EDT (US)     6 / 56  
Welcome aboard mate

-Love Gaius

posted 24 October 2007 15:19 EDT (US)     7 / 56  
Who are those guys in green, orange, purple & red?
They are the HeavenGames staff and help to make this Heaven what it is. They moderate the forums, handle submissions, add content and generally do everything needed to keep the site running.
Current staff at M2TWH are the seraphs Crazed Ewok & Glory of Sparta, an angel Yakcamkir and the cherubs Gaius Colinius and D Furius Venator.
That part realy need some updating

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 24 October 2007 18:38 EDT (US)     8 / 56  
Ever so slightly. Welcome back Steace. Haven't seen you in a while.

-Love Gaius

posted 25 October 2007 01:35 EDT (US)     9 / 56  
Thanks

posted 21 November 2007 10:14 EDT (US)     10 / 56  
Howdy, y'all. Just found the site yesterday and registered today. Never even realized there was a community around RTW. Now off to my lurking and getting the feel for the board before posting again.

My sword is for war,
And my parchment is for peace.
By deceit or force,
On corpses of enemies,
Will carrions feast.
posted 21 November 2007 11:09 EDT (US)     11 / 56  
Logius
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your time here.

-Love Gaius

posted 07 December 2007 06:42 EDT (US)     12 / 56  
HI,

all found the site yesterday and registered. Have post a small problem I'm having on the tech forum, so thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Great site BTW

Liam
posted 07 December 2007 07:18 EDT (US)     13 / 56  
LordFH
Welcome to TWH. Post your query in tech help. We have a number of forumers who are very helpful there and may be able to help you.

-Love Gaius

posted 07 December 2007 20:18 EDT (US)     14 / 56  
Hey Gaius, you need to update the bit about the staff cos EOJ got promoted.
posted 20 January 2008 17:22 EDT (US)     15 / 56  
Not to mention SubRosa's ascension to greenship.

C13H18O2 <-- IBUPROFEN - ruining your life since 1969!

Hey, check out my AAR here!
posted 20 January 2008 18:06 EDT (US)     16 / 56  
posted 11 February 2008 16:01 EDT (US)     17 / 56  
Just a quick hello, been lurking for a few weeks but not had time to register due to spending every spare moment playing this superb game (5am finishes have not being uncommon).

Previously been a big Civ fan but always looked longingly towards Rome without realizing that my PC could actually play the game with a memory upgrade, bought 2Ghz and haven't looked back since.

Excellent forum BTW, very informative and helpful.
posted 11 February 2008 17:01 EDT (US)     18 / 56  
posted 18 February 2008 17:57 EDT (US)     19 / 56  
hi im new to the game and am here looking to find good player for online games
posted 18 February 2008 18:21 EDT (US)     20 / 56  
Welcome to TWH swordinthestorm. Be sure to take a look at the Newbies Guide to Total War Heaven as it has a great deal of general information and links to all the places of interest here at TWH. You also might want to take a look at Terikel's Scroll of Wisdom, which answers the most commonly asked questions about Rome Total War.

On the subject of multiplayer in particular we have regular forum parties, which are a great way to meet other players. We just had one recently for RTW, but will be doing another soon. You can sign up for email notification of them here, or just watch the forum for announcements.
posted 19 February 2008 07:26 EDT (US)     21 / 56  
Hi, i'm Boetje (well, you could have seen that when reading that area <---). i've "deserted" the Age of mythology forum and went to this one... i have BI, but not alexander, and my favourite units are the night raiders (explains my sig...)

well that's all I had to say...

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
posted 19 February 2008 08:40 EDT (US)     22 / 56  
Well, not much for me to say either. Welcome to TWH!

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
/\ingjianma/
|____
Proud Member of TWH since 2007 and AoKH since 2004
Seleucid AAR|Sarmatian AAR | Spain AAR
posted 12 April 2008 10:43 EDT (US)     23 / 56  
Hello to everyone. I've been registered for a while just haven't posted anything. Figured I should at least say hi. I really enjoy reading everyone's questions and tips. I'm currently on my third campaign as Gaul on H/H.
posted 12 April 2008 11:47 EDT (US)     24 / 56  
Hey. I've only posted at RTWH few times, because I mostly post at BFME2H. I recently got Rome: Total War, and I must say, awesome game.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
posted 12 April 2008 12:00 EDT (US)     25 / 56  
Hi dakn, welcome to TWH.

Hi Blatant, nice to see you exploring our little corner of HG.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 04-12-2008 @ 12:01 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Newbies' guide to HG & TWH & "Hi, I'm new here or just returned" thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames