Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Which Faction will Dominate? Plus War Dog Fun
posted 16 November 2008 21:59 EDT (US)   
In a Brutii Campaign I decided to move to an island and press the turn button until one faction won. Its been done before and I was interested in seeing the results.
First I sailed to Kyodonia with an outrageous stack of warhounds and a couple hastati and generals. Here are the pics of the Big Brutal Bruttii Besiegement of Barking Biting Beasts:

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war!!

The hoplites are consumed in a sea of teeth.

The hounds charge!!

The last three cicilian pirates are ripped down.

Ninjas Pirates War Dogs

Mass Dogs are amazing in the early-mid game period, Ive seen them destroy spartan hoplites. As long as the handlers survive you will always get the same amount of dogs. Dogs are also good because they fight until all are dead and they lower enemy morale.

Here is the map:

Gaul: The first superpower has crafted a wide empire but has only Brittania as an ally. They have taken Rome, nearly wiped out the Jullii and until recently had been taking parts of greece for their own.

Greece: The Greeks as seen above have ammassed large armies and have united Greece, conquered Thrace and Dacia and are currently at war with the Gauls and the Scythians.

Scythia: This nomadic nation is being eaten up by Pontus, Brittania and Greece and is the main battleground of the world.

Pontus: Pontus has control over all of asia minor, and a growing number of steppe settlements. It has conquered parthia and armenia and has several full stacks in the steppes.

Egypt: Egypt is a sleeping giant. Its stacks are wandering aimlessly but we all know how strong the Egyptians are and the reach of Pharoah's arm...

Numidia: Numidia has control of Carthages African holdings.

Spain: Spain has been resisting Gaul but has lost Scallabis, Coruba and the other town (I forgot its name)

Brittania: A widespread empire, Britannia extends throughout Germany and recently the britons have been expanding onto the steppes. They are only at war with Scythia.

House of Julii: The Jullii suck. Period.

House of Scippi: The Scippi have yet to attack Gaul, or anyone else for that matter, they have sat with about four full stacks for several turns.

I apologize in advance for having only one pic of the map.
Now I would like you to guess who will win, I will post the results in about a week.
Replies:
posted 16 November 2008 22:59 EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Why didn't the romans win???

posted 17 November 2008 00:38 EDT (US)     2 / 28  
It isn't done yet. I think either Egypt or Brittania will win because of the chariots.

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 17 November 2008 05:25 EDT (US)     3 / 28  
I am also inetersted in playing in such a manner. Can you tell me how did you manage to survive among the titans :P, without any firm financial support? Without cheats of course.
posted 17 November 2008 05:30 EDT (US)     4 / 28  
Probably because the AI is useless at attacking islands.

Wow, Numidia and Gaul are doing well! Not sure I've ever seen them do that well.

Quite possibly it will be Egypt or Brittania, but Pontus also have a fair chance and I reckon Greece might manage to just about clinch it.
posted 17 November 2008 05:35 EDT (US)     5 / 28  
if gaul get rid of spain and head south they have a good chance!
posted 17 November 2008 10:31 EDT (US)     6 / 28  
I bet Pontus, Brittania then Gaul. In that order.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
posted 17 November 2008 16:18 EDT (US)     7 / 28  
Gaul, Brittania then Egypt is my guess.
posted 17 November 2008 17:01 EDT (US)     8 / 28  
Britannia wins alot because noone really invades the home islands...

*Roman General steps forward to speak to Caesar*
We have received word we just beat the Creten's at Sparta!
*Man whispers in General's Ear*
No! Alas!? We beat the SPARTANS at CRETE!
-From History of the World:Part 1-
-By Mel Brooks-
posted 18 November 2008 22:09 EDT (US)     9 / 28  
Egypt is going to rip through Pontus like a fat kid to a burger once they go to war. I remember a while back someone tried something like this before. Pontus had a huge empire and egypt only had a few lands, but once they went to war...
posted 18 November 2008 22:44 EDT (US)     10 / 28  
My vote goes to Gaul. Egypt looks good too, but they are too far from Rome and AI sucks at expending.
posted 18 November 2008 23:23 EDT (US)     11 / 28  
LOL. This is like call of duty 5!?!
posted 19 November 2008 01:29 EDT (US)     12 / 28  
I would say Brittania backstabs Gaul to achieve the victory conditions first. That said, I think their empire will pale in comparison, and fall, to the Egyptians in the end. In RTW, Pharoah gets what Pharoah wants.
posted 20 November 2008 00:10 EDT (US)     13 / 28  
So I have heard a lot of Egypt, Britannia, Gaul and Pontus Talk. Personally, I thought Greece was going to get victory conditions first, then egypt would beat down Pontus and win. However, it turns out we were all wrong.
The Victors are...
THE SCIPPI

Gaul defeated the Julli and Rome, but became overstretched and Spain once it got Bull Warriors began to overrun Gaul and take its western holdings. The Scippi took control of Italy after the Marius Reforms and Gaul was reduced to Alesia. Egypt tore through Numidia and Pontus (much like a fat boy through a hamburger...). Brittania was absorbed by Spain and the Scippi. Greece expanded to accumulate a large empire but and ended up fighting a massive all out war with the Scippi. Stack upon stack coated the map.

The Greeks tended to fight with weak separated armies while the Scippi concentrated their cohort forces into half stacks. Eventually the romans were pumping out huge armies of praetorians, legionary cohorts and archers. The armoured hoplites couldnt hold off, and the Scippi overran Greece.

This is what the map looks like now:

Egypt and the Scippi are two world superpowers. Horde like groups of romans are seen wandering aimlessly through Europe. Egypt is suffering from continual rebellions inside its borders with around 3 settlements rebeling a turn. Yet they still manage to recapture them. These powers are at war now, but neither has made significant progress towards engaging the other. Once rebel controlled Scythia is taken then the world war will ignite.
posted 20 November 2008 01:45 EDT (US)     14 / 28  
Nice, wonder if Britiian will be wipped out before there is a victor.
posted 20 November 2008 04:02 EDT (US)     15 / 28  
Could you continue this please to see who will dominate the world?

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 20 November 2008 11:27 EDT (US)     16 / 28  
The britons wont get wiped out, they will probably just be driven out of europe. Not much has happened, I am still playing it. I bet Scippi will take over because they have more land, Far far superior numbers, and the finances of greece and the italian peninsula. Egypt suffers from chronic internal strife. Most places are cities now.
posted 20 November 2008 22:52 EDT (US)     17 / 28  
I knew it the romans won!!!

posted 21 November 2008 00:52 EDT (US)     18 / 28  
war dogs own!
posted 21 November 2008 14:21 EDT (US)     19 / 28  
Scippi!? I thought the AI were challenged when it came to amphibious landings though?
posted 21 November 2008 14:32 EDT (US)     20 / 28  
Only against islands, though.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 21 November 2008 15:16 EDT (US)     21 / 28  
somehow i wonder how em romans bred all em hounds.... well whatever go scippi! Gonna be fun when they attack you on em islands :P
posted 22 November 2008 16:11 EDT (US)     22 / 28  
Scippi!? I thought the AI were challenged when it came to amphibious landings though?
What do you mean? Where did they amphibiously invade?
posted 23 November 2008 18:25 EDT (US)     23 / 28  
They sorta amphibiously invaded Italy y'know? What I meant was that since the AI seems to almost never take the island (Ex. Kyodonia, Salamis, Tara, and Britain) I thought that the AI thought the same way attacking from an island.
posted 23 November 2008 20:10 EDT (US)     24 / 28  
There were no landings, the Scippi came from Capua and their armies multiplied pretty much exponentially as they expanded.

Gaul did drop off a diplomat to end prior ceasefires with me on Kyodonia.
posted 05 December 2008 20:13 EDT (US)     25 / 28  
Those idiot Britons ought to take Hibernia... it's just sitting there, collecting dust.

"Cowardice and stupidity are vices which,
disgraceful as they are in private to those who have them,
are when found in a general the greatest of public calamities."

- Polybius of Megalopolis
posted 06 December 2008 02:39 EDT (US)     26 / 28  
Keep us posted with more pics?
posted 06 December 2008 10:32 EDT (US)     27 / 28  
intresting.

“We call Japanese soldiers fanatics when they die rather than surrender, whereas American soldiers who do the same thing are called heroes” - Robert Maynard Hutchins

“The notion that human life is sacred just because it is human life is medieval.” - Peter Singer
posted 07 December 2008 11:19 EDT (US)     28 / 28  
kool
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Which Faction will Dominate? Plus War Dog Fun
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames