Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RTW on windows 8
posted 12 November 2015 06:16 EDT (US)   
Hello

My question is this: I have installed RTW onto my new Laptop which was successful but when I come to play it a message appears saying 'Log in with Admin privileges and try again'

I have checked my account settings and found my account is admin any ideas?
Replies:
posted 12 November 2015 08:42 EDT (US)     1 / 12  
i'm a nub on this behalf, but maybe mark the RTW.exe file as "run as admin"

right click the launcher for the file properties,
then check the "run as admin" box in the compatibility tab.
posted 12 November 2015 21:18 EDT (US)     2 / 12  
^What he said. If you don't want to have to do that every time, right click on it and go to "Properties" then "Advanced" and check the "Run as Administrator" box.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 13 November 2015 05:13 EDT (US)     3 / 12  
I have tried that and no game
posted 13 November 2015 21:08 EDT (US)     4 / 12  
So apparently, this error is due to a Windows update that came out a little while ago, KB3086255. If you uninstall it, RTW should work again.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
posted 24 November 2015 13:42 EDT (US)     5 / 12  
how do i uninstall the update
posted 24 November 2015 17:39 EDT (US)     6 / 12  
Open up the start menu, go to Control Panel, select Programs, then View Installed Updates. From there, search for the update and when it shows up, select it, right click, and hit "uninstall". You'll have to restart your computer after you uninstall it, but then you'll be good to go.

posted 25 November 2015 18:07 EDT (US)     7 / 12  
is the update neeeded to run my system or not?
posted 26 November 2015 20:01 EDT (US)     8 / 12  
It's just a minor update that apparently messes something up with the registry that RTW references. I uninstalled it after you asked about it, since RTW wasn't working for me either, and I haven't had any issues.

posted 29 November 2015 13:19 EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Thanks General Sajaru
posted 17 January 2016 05:15 EDT (US)     10 / 12  
Hello everyone,

my laptop keeps reinstalling update KB3086255(which stops me playing RTW). is thee away to stop it
posted 17 January 2016 22:49 EDT (US)     11 / 12  
You'd have to change your update settings from "automatic install" to "download and let you chose when/what to install" or even to "chose when/what to download and install". Alternately, you might be able to hide that specific update and see if that helps at all.

posted 18 January 2016 10:41 EDT (US)     12 / 12  
thanks general
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » RTW on windows 8
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames