Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Winds of Remus
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 27 June 2005 12:55 EDT (US)   
(Argo, Lorentius and I are co-authoring this piece. We hope you enjoy it)

(March 100BC)

Emperor Gaius Marius stomped around the Senatorial antechamber while awaiting the end of the session. He need to speak with Senator Saturnius about their plan. He was beginning to have his concerns about declaring an open war against part of the Roman Empire. He had just put the finishing touches on his retrained troops and they were ready for deployment, but he had his doubts that all their plotting was necessary. As he found himself deep in his thoughts, the senators began emptying the forum.

Marius watched for many minutes as the senators filed out, and finally caught a glimpse of Senator L Appuleius Saturnius. Marius quickly rushed up to him, while avoiding a few senators who approached him to say something. When Saturnius saw him coming he frowned for a moment, about then smiled warmly.

“My Emperor, I was just coming to find you.” Saturnius bowed low as Marius approached, but then noticed several senators had stopped to watch the exchange, but a quick flash of anger in his green eyes sent them scurrying away on some greater task.

“Saturnius, my armies are ready to slaughter the Roman traitors, but I am thinking that perhaps all this is unnecessary. Perhaps we can speak with the families. Surely they will be reasonable. Perhaps there is an alternative to war. Maybe they can be convinced to withdraw their opposition to my appointment as Emperor. Perhaps they can be convinced that a standing army is good for the Empire.”

“It is too late for that! The Senate just agreed to our plan. At this moment, Senators Caesan Julii, Amerigo Scipii, and Mutius Brutii have been thrown into chains and are being taken to the private Senatorial prisons. You seem to forget, that those families tried to get you exiled because they feared your new position as Emperor. You seem to forget that they tried to remove me from the Tribune position in an attempt to usurp power. They must not be allowed to place themselves above the Empire. They must be dealt with, and it must be done quickly. Emperor, your armies are ready to march, and can strike the five family holdings within a month. This is not going to be a long war. The family leaders have all been ordered to return to their homes in order to be honored by the Senate. They have no clue the honor will be to have their traitorous hearts cut out by your Legionary Cohorts. Marius, we must save Rome. This IS the only way!”

Marius thought deeply for many seconds. He had not wanted to believe it when Saturnius brought him documents written by the Julii calling for his removal as the first Roman Emperor. But then Saturnius showed him copies of the same documents bearing the Brutii and Scipii seals. It looked bad for the three Roman families. They were trying to usurp the rightful rule of the Roman Empire, and must be punished. He, as the new supreme leader of the Empire, was responsible for dealing out that punishment.

“Very well Saturnius. They march at dawn.” Marius turned and walked away to finish the supply issues. He was still in doubt, but his loyalty to the Empire was unwavering.

Saturnius let out a deep breath, as Marius vanished around a corner. He knew his plans were risky, especially once he involved that fool Marius. The man may have know how to win a war, but how to fight a senator was foreign to him. It had cost him 5000 denari to get forged copies of the family seals made. Another 1000 had been spent to get the removal papers drawn up using family paper and ink. The forgeries had been perfect and had convinced Marius. Now all Saturnius had to worry about was the success of Marius’ armies. He had seen Marius’ troops used in combat against the Gauls, and 2000 Gauls had died while only 27 Romans had been killed. But they were going to be killing Romans now. Granted the families could only field Hastati, Principles, and Triarii, but they had conquered the world with those meager forces. But all this worry was useless. Marius’ legions were perfect. They would win! They had to win!

(April 100BC)

This was a horrible month for the Julii, Brutii, and Scipii. In five Roman towns, Arretium, Ariminum, Capua, Croton, and Tarentum; 100000 Legionary Cohorts, archers, cavalry, onager crews, and a few Urbans struck and crushed the family hometowns in Italy. The worst of the fighting took place in Tarentum.

By the time the legions reached Tarentum, rumors were circulating that the Senatorial army had gone nuts and was rampaging through the countryside destroying the holdings of the Roman families. The governor of Tarentum, Claudius Brutus, had insisted there was some mistake, until 20000 Marius Legionnaires arrived outside the gates.

The faction head had not returned to Tarentum when he was expected, and so it fell to Claudius to protect the last Brutii holding in Italy. He had only 5000 troops in Tarentum and most of them were town watch and peasants. The governor ordered all the men onto the walls, because he knew that the gateway would prohibit the use of rams.

And so it was that the 5000 Roman defenders were standing atop the walls, when the first onager rounds came soaring in. Sort of the solid stone rounds fell short, and some flew well over the walls and crashed into the city, but far to many crashed into the gateway and iron gates. One especially dark stone came flying towards Tarentum, like an evil omen of the gods, and as it hit the gateway, the supports broke loose and the entire gateway crumbled. Hundreds of gallons of boiling pitch poured harmlessly onto the ground. A few more stones broke the gates from their hinges and sent them flying. Fortunately, the Brutii defenders had reassembled inside the gates and waited for the charge.

The Marius troops marched forward slowly and methodically. They stopped outside the gates and hundreds of pila flew through the opening and killed several dozen defenders. As the legions prepared to throw again, the Brutii charged out of Tarentum. The Marius units were surprised, and for a few moments they began losing men, but they regrouped quickly, and formed a tight box trapping the Brutii. The legions held the formation and 2000 Urban Cohorts charged into the box to fight the Brutii. The Brutii gave a good accounting of themselves, but they were terribly overmatched. A dozen Urbans died, but the entire Brutii force was annihilated.

(Late April 100BC)

Emperor Marius and Senator Saturnius received word that the Roman families had been crushed and forced from the Italian Peninsula. Regrettably, all three faction leaders escaped the carnage. The legions could not advise where they had fled too, but it was certain they were scattered to the four winds. Saturnius smiled and turned to his Emperor.

“Emperor, we have done it! Rome is saved! We are saved!” Then Saturnius noticed that a frown was on Marius’ face. “What my Emperor? What is wrong?”

“Can you not read fool!? The faction heads escaped. As long as they live, they are a threat to us.”

“Marius, they are scattered men, with no great armies to command. They are no threat to us. We and Rome are spared!”

“We shall see Saturnius. We shall see.”

(To be continued)

Life is full of challenges. You can either step up to them, or step out of the way. The ones who step up, are the ones who will someday rule the world.
Replies:
posted 27 June 2005 14:35 EDT (US)     1 / 91  
Looking good, this shall be intresting!
posted 27 June 2005 17:28 EDT (US)     2 / 91  
Kinda sounds like the one with 4 factions.
posted 27 June 2005 18:52 EDT (US)     3 / 91  
Looks good already!

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 27 June 2005 19:16 EDT (US)     4 / 91  
you like killing off the ronman families with the senate who are betraying them for no reason dont you :P sounds good

"If you find yourself riding alone through open fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled for you are in Elysium and you are already dead!"- "The Spaniard" - Gladiator
"There are three ways to defeat your enemy, the first and most obvious is to defeat him by trial of force, the second is to destroy him from within, the third and easiest is to push onto a course of self destruction."-Sun Tzu
HG Singles Tourney 2nd Place 2005
posted 27 June 2005 19:51 EDT (US)     5 / 91  
Incredible John where can i buy your books?
posted 29 June 2005 00:14 EDT (US)     6 / 91  
APRIL 100 B.C.

Marcus Brutus stood on the observation deck of his flagship, the lanterns of Brundisium a welcomed sight. He hated sea travel, even the short jaunt from Apollonia; his stomach had never become accustomed to that which he found unnatural for men. Land was always a welcomed sight.

The ship moored, Marcus was the first to touch terra firma, grateful for the return to normalcy. He sighed, relieved to have endured another encounter with Neptune, already dreading the return voyage. A soiled courier awaited him, nervously standing at attention.

"Report."

"My lord, I bear terrible news!"

"Go on."

"We---we are betrayed, Tarentum has fallen..."

"Tarentum? What are you babbling about?"

"Armies of the Emperor Marius have taken Tarentum..."

"What! When?"

"I have just come from there, my lord, I believe they are moving on Croton even now."

Brutus was already thinking about a counter attack. "How many troops?"

"I don't know, perhaps a full legion with auxillery and artillery."

"My family?"

"I don't know, my lord, with all the confusion..."

"Stop!"

Marcus Brutus composed himself, his years of training overcoming his emotions. This was no time to go on a fool's errand, desperately searching for loved ones who were probably dead.

"Gather all men at arms to the ships, we return to Apollonia!"

MAY

Brutus pulled out as many troops as he could from all of the Greek territories he controlled, and sped the training of more militia to assume town watches. Sparta and Thessalonica in particular had been hot spots of rebellion for years, so stronger forces were left behind, along with an increased cadre of spies.

Smiths were turning out Marius-grade weapons and armor as fast as humanly possible. Training in new tactics was stepped up with an intensity unmatched by any ever endured by Brutii soldiers. Revenge was being instilled into their hearts and minds. Within a month the army would stand at four legions, perhaps half equipped with the newest arms. With the added mercenaries, Marcus Brutus planned to send an army of 30,000 or more to the shores of Apulia.

Brutus turned rage into determination, his mind became fixed on retaking Tarentum and Croton. Once that was done, he would decide where to turn his wrath; Marius would pay for this betrayal, along with any who aided him. Rome would bleed.

One day a courier arrived, a member of the Scipio family, with a messege for Marcus Brutus, pleading for him to attend a secret council at Messana during the Ides of June. An alliance was being proposed, to include the House of Julius as well. There was no need to mention the subject of the meeting, all three families were facing the same dilemna and shared the same passion for revenge. Although he did not trust Julius or Scipio, Brutus made arrangements for the voyage, already planning how he could use the others to further his cause.

JUNE, MESSANA

Once the family leaders all finished expressing their mutual outrage over the treachery of their so-called emperor, and voiced similar plans for revenge, while pledging solidarity and fraternity, the council got underway, led by Farious Scipio. Tales of carnage each had endured were traded as wine was passed around. Personally, Brutus was uneasy with the number of slaves attending them, he preferred to discuss such weighty matters in complete privacy, with no unnecessary ears around.

Scipio asked for an agreement of mutual support, openly admitting that his forces were the weakest of the three factions. As he spoke, Brutus pondered about what concessions he would gain for his support, but held back, deciding to hear out Scipio and Julius before interjecting.

The debate wavered back and forth for some time, but it always came back to the need to cooperate and present a unified front against the usurping emperor. Marcus Brutus was fully aware that his new allies were gifted orators, unlike himself; their honeyed word were just that, sweet and tempting. He remained mostly silent unless addressed directly.

The earnestness of their debate was suddenly disrupted by an explosion that shattered the doors and sent shards of splintered wood in every direction. Through the heavy smoke, Marcus saw several dark silhouettes rush into the room---Arcani!

Marcus and his aides drew their swords, forming a square to meet the onslaught. One throwing knife nicked Marcus' left shoulder, another found the throat of the man to his right. The Brutii ducked, their blades at the ready. Four of the assassins rushed them and fell at their feet, blood spurting from the chest wounds they received. Confusion reigned, Marcus and his fellow Brutii slashed at anything that came near. When the fighting ceased, Marcus looked around and saw that two of this retainers were dead; bodies were strewn about the room....

JULY/AUGUST

Marcus Brutus stood on the observation deck of this flagship and saw that Brundisium was coming closer and closer. His fleet had made the crossing unopposed, much to his surprise, and even now saw no Imperial warships in the harbor. Nonetheless, he expected to encounter Imperial troops on their landing. Archers and ballistae were in position to volley before the lead units of the Brutii legions charged down the gangplanks.

The docks were cleared, almost deserted. The fleet docked and unloaded its cargo of 30,000 armed troops into a town that was eerily serene. A welcoming commitee awaited the leader of the Brutus clan in the town square.

"Welcome noble Marcus Brutus, we welcome your return."

"Thank you. Where are the Imperial troops?"

"They are gone. When your sails appeared on the horizon, they left."

Marcus Brutus shook his head in disbelief, this made no sense whatsoever. "They just left?"

"Yes, my lord, but there weren't that many to begin with. Actually, we have not been mistreated."

Again, Marcus shook his head in disbelief.......

------------------

Their march to Tarentum, through countryside seemingly unravaged, was not opposed, scouts reported no enemy troops anywhere. When the walls of the city came ito view, Marcus finally confronted his enemy, an Imperial force that numbered his by half. After a brief and furious clash, the enemy fled, leaving Marcus' home to him, much of the previous damage inflicted now repaired. He was greeted by his family, none of whom seeming the worst for the ordeal.

SEPTEMBER

Even with the troops sent back to Greece to suppress the increasing uprisings, Marcus Brutus had an army of three well trained legions that was supplemented by 8,000 disgruntled Italians who had no love for Rome. Unfortunately, Marcus allowed the lazy summer weather to delay his move to Croton. When he learned that the Scipii had 'liberated' Croton, with the aid of Greek troops, Marcus Brutus was livid, his faith in the so-called alliance shaken.

TO BE CONTINUED---------

ATTACK! This is Total War, not Total Wary!

[This message has been edited by Lorentius Vadis (edited 07-02-2005 @ 06:45 PM).]

posted 29 June 2005 08:14 EDT (US)     7 / 91  
This is really good.

Go Emperor Marius!!!

posted 29 June 2005 09:21 EDT (US)     8 / 91  
Ah, nice army...this is a good story.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 29 June 2005 09:37 EDT (US)     9 / 91  
It seems that we have entered a new era of writing and it is looking great.
posted 29 June 2005 19:04 EDT (US)     10 / 91  
The House of Julii
Introduction

(Rome, Italy, March 12th, 100 B.C.E.)
“Narcissistic fools,” Ankarnius Julius spat as he stormed from the Senatorial Chambers, tugging at his scarlet robe. Beside him, his cousin, Titus Julius, Duke of the House of Julii, strode, his tall form easily keeping pace with Ankarnius’ lumbering gait. “This is how they repay fifty years of loyal service? Campaigns on two fronts, both of which victorious, and they ask us to return to Arriteum for the Spring?”

Titus smiled, folding his long arms behind his back. “They’re just nervous. Marius has returned and the people are embracing him. It only makes sense that they would train their eagle eyes upon the Julii as well. Besides, they just want us close to home.”

“Yes, but we were victorious at their behest, as always,” Ankarnius reminded. “Marius struck out and took the whole Republic by surprise…and now these reforms?”

“Three provinces in as many years,” Titus replied. “Marius has proven himself invaluable. Working in concert with him in Gaul has certainly paid off; we could not have done it without him.”

“And yet it is at us that they aim their suspicion.”

Behind the two, Titus’ advisor, Indimitrianus, called Scales, trailed a meter away, his bald head held low as he went. The three made their way through the long columned causeway of Rome’s Senatorial Chambers, passing through the crush of Senators, pages and slaves. When they reached the marbled steps Scales spoke up. “They fear us, Ankarnius,” he said with a smirk. He turned to look at Titus’ back as they drew up to the stairs. “Power recognizes power, my Duke.”

“But we have served them utterly,” Ankarnius replied, his fat cheeks flushing. “We could fill a fleet to the gunwales with the treasures we’ve captured.”

Titus held at the steps, taking a moment to imbibe the warm spring sun and peer at the urban crowds swarming below. It soothed him to watch the people mill about and maneuver the streets in their business. The Julii were known for their popularity with the plebes, and Titus was an exemplar of requited affection.

“Perhaps it is not the Senate that rails against us?” proffered Scales.

Titus turned to him, a scowl searing his face. “Would we dare to implicate our fair ally Marius?” he asked guardedly. “I should think that if he wished to off us it would have been convenient to do so in the Germanic forests, not amidst the marble columns and silk drapes of the Chambers.”

“I’m not implicating,” Scales replied with a serpentine tone, “just exploring.”

They started descending the magnificent staircase.

“Still, what need do they have of fear?” Ankarnius repeated.

“You’re divining to the priests,” Scales replied. “We already know this.”

“Perhaps that is the problem?” said Titus. “Perhaps they think our Roman blood has been diluted by Mediterranean serotonin?”

Scales shook his head. “Ankar said it himself: We have spent the past fifty years managing Roman-dictated affairs in Hellas. It has served both parties well.”

Titus scoffed. “It was all at the Senate’s beck and call, Scales. You forget that I would never have gone had not my great-grandfather been called to sack Athens.”

“Yes, who can forget?” Scales added with a grimace. “The shadow of the Ibex is long indeed.”

“Not that long, apparently,” Ankarnius said dourly. “No one outside of the Julii seems to give a damn.”

Titus laughed. “Maybe that is a good thing? We have only to surmount the expectations of ourselves and not the people.”

“I suppose that’s meant to be the silver lining in all of this?” the Duke’s cousin inquired.

“Low expectations can be powerful tools, Ankarnius,” Scales remarked, agreeing with the Duke’s implications.

“Still, one can hardly forget such a magnificent battle,” Scales continued, unabated. “Has anyone seen or heard of such a miraculous campaign since? Surely the Brutii remember. I would not be surprised if their sentiments have remained ill in the past ninety years. We all know that their memories are long and their ire has a tendency to brood.”

“Careful, Scales,” Titus warned, lobbing a frail finger in the direction of his advisor. “I would not entreat a wary eye upon our noble Roman allies as well as requite suspicion against Marius or the Senate. That alone is bad enough, especially in these halls hollowed by skulking ears.”

“Do you think our allies will shore us up should we fall out of the Senate’s favor?” Ankarnius inquired.

Before reaching the foot of the Senatorial Chamber’s outer stairs, Titus turned to Ankarnius with a level gaze. “The Scipii and the Brutii have always been there for us. None of us would be alive if it were not for the timely arrival of the Brutii’s maniples or the Scipii’s flotillas. I think we owe them much, just as we owe Marius.”

“And what of the Senate?” inquired Scales.

“I have faith in our fair Republic. They have never forsaken us; there is no reason to suspect they would begin now. Besides, I will not allow one foul congress with the Senate to destroy decades of trust built with the blood of our armies and borne upon the backs of our House.”

“They still seem wary of our popularity with the people, victories over the Gauls or not,” Scales continued. “Are you sure about returning to Arriteum as they asked?”

“It is a tenuous border we Julii dwell upon, Scales, but without it—without the people—we would be nothing. The balance between the Senate’s approval and the people’s affection makes for a volatile mix, but we have maintained our prestige, as well as our popularity, for decades. The aristocracy may never fully understand the lower classes, much less relate to them, but they will respect the power they wield. Rome recognizes our influence, yes, but I think they also recognize our fealty…especially Marius.” With that he descended the last steps and crossed the bustling promenade to a carriage drawn by a team of six jet geldings, all easily fifteen hands high with braided manes manicured to perfection. At the fore of this magnificent team lingered a towering lurch of a man, Halifax. He was a red-haired Makedonean of imposing height, easily two meters tall, with a physique and brow equally as menacing. In one hand rested the carriage whip, coiled about his forearm like a jet serpent. The other clutched a wad of small objects held high into the afternoon air. About him danced and clamored a throng of street urchins, shouting and giggling as they reached for the unattainable prize. As Titus crossed to within Halifax’s proximity he could see the brute lower his mysterious prize low enough to entice the children to jump before yanking it back up into the air, far above any of the brats’ reach. With each of these temptations the giggling would crescendo, overshadowed by Halifax’s own roaring baritone laugh. He would throw his head back and howl jovially as the urchins began to ascend his person, clutching at his tunic and trying to mount from his bended joints. They climbed him like a mountain, trying to reach the prize held aloft until the Makedonean was nearly engulfed in youth.

“Halifax,” Titus called, his own voice barely carrying through the cacophony. “It’s time to go.” With some hesitation the enormous man sighed, resigning himself to picking the children off of him one by one with his whip-hand, as if removing burrs from his clothing. He gently set them down onto the streets with a flood of sympathetic apologies for having to leave. The children refuted this adamantly, petitioning him to linger a bit longer for a game of tag. Halifax shook his head and offered more apologies, dragging himself away from the crowd of children now gathering in the void where he formerly stood. Their doe eyes leered at him as he backed up and turned away, waving his goodbyes and smiling through his few teeth. The man was hideous, yes, but harmless; a true gentle giant. In no time he had the carriage doors open and the steps lowered to admit the trio of Julii House members. Titus Julius was the first to enter, his aged body finding the frame and hinges of the door for support.

“Nice to see you enjoyed yourself while we were away,” Ankarnius spewed as he approached the carriage steps. “I hope you didn’t fritter away your entire pay on those hood rats.” Halifax withstood this like a bulwark in a tempest.

“Not a single denary, sire.” That seemed to satiate the fat governor, and he climbed into the carriage with some difficulty. Scales entered next, his lithe form practically slithering through the small doorframe. Within a few minutes the door was secured and Halifax was atop the carriage, snapping his whip over the heads of their steeds. The carriage lurched forward and in no time they were driving through the streets. The urchins sprinted alongside, waving and flinging their arms about as they shouted for their Makedonean playmate. Before they left the avenue Halifax released the contents of his hand, that mysterious prize that had so captivated the children earlier. A shower of finely wrapped objects no smaller than fingertips splayed across the road. The children stopped to scoop up the scattered contents. Moments later the Julii inside the carriage turned to see the children cheering and waving excitedly behind them, stuffing their faces with the objects. Candy. The “Mack” had given them sweets. Titus leaned out the window sill to see Halifax’s giant arm waving to the brats scrambling behind him. The Duke of Julii could not help but chuckle. He leaned back inside, his gaze falling upon Ankarnius. His cousin eyed him gravely.

“What vexes you, Ankar?”

The rotund man hesitated, rubbing his thick cheeks before answering. “I just can’t shake the feeling that these proposals are ill omens. I feel like an old salty fisherman whose knee aches before the gale.”

Titus smiled warmly at his cousin. “Marius’ reforms are revolutionary, yes, frightening even,” he said soothingly. “But they, like all other innovations, will be weathered by the Republic. Rome shall evolve.”

“That’s not what worries me,” Ankarnius admitted with a dire tone. “What worries me is: Will we evolve with her?”

(Athens, Greece, March 31st, 100 B.C.E.)
Calipulus Julius made his way across the stone-carved corridor of the Akropolis, lighting his path with a small blue candle. He strode between the ancient marble columns and small shrines that littered the darkened interior of the archaic fortress. At the end of the wide causeway were the residential quarters of the king’s palace.

For three years his family had occupied the Akropolis, commandeering its mighty royal halls of carved granite and immaculate, gold-inlayed marble. Yet even after all this time, Calipulus was still not entirely comfortable here. He missed the decadent palaces of Corinth, the old Julii stronghold in Greece. This place felt pompous and stuffy to him. He couldn’t relax; the old Greek gods still seemed to haunt this place, as did the shades of Hellenic heroes. Patrokles and Alkbiades, Miltiades and Socrates seemed to roam its halls. But Greece was full of redeeming factors. Even Athens had them: The food was excellent, and the metropolis lit like a mirror of Heaven in the summer nights. But nothing captured his heart like Lakedaemon. The simplicity, even after all these years, was still marvelous. The people were strong, and above all, the heritage generated an aura of supreme confidence and honor that could be felt in every Spartan wind, and seen in every Spartan smile. He had even found a woman from Sparta, though that was not without its complications.

Those were about to shine through, he could feel it as he approached the oak door at the end of the hall. Three short knocks and the hinges turned. Light spilled into the hallway. Holding the door open in front of Calipulus was a woman in her mid twenties, her fair skin glistening in the candlelight. Her wet, blonde hair was pulled up into a wad at the crown of her head. A pair of piercing green eyes greeted him, their expression as sharp as the edge of any xyphos. She wore the traditional kleros robe of Spartan women, a cloth gown split at the side to reveal the thigh. It was no modest garment, yet she was a modest woman. The thing was worn only after she bathed, in the privacy of her bedchamber.

“Evening, Adreia” he smiled.

“Hey you,” the woman replied.

Calipulus lingered in the doorway, waiting for the invitation. “Are you going to let me in, or am I going to have to pay a toll, like last time?”

The woman rubbed the nape of her neck. “Hmm, it was a worthy price, Cal,” she said, smiling wistfully at him.

“Yes I know; my hands are still cramping.” He couldn’t help but return her smile, though not without a twinge of devilishness. “But there’s no time for a massage tonight, I’ve got to talk to you.” His mask of playful villainy sunk to an expression of sobriety. The lightened mood seemed to vanish then, compelling her to recede into the bedchamber with a sigh, admitting him with an outstretched palm. He crossed the threshold and closed the creaking oak barrier in his wake. “I love this time of year, don’t you?” he asked jovially. She scrunched her face up, a disgusted expression coming over her. “Awe, come on, Adreia, love is in the air. Can’t you tell?”

“Is that what that is, ‘love’?” she asked with a smirk. “I just thought that the sewers had backed up again.”

Calipulus laughed. “Your constant aversion to that word still amazes me.”

“The fact that you still cut your hair so short still amazes me!” she retorted, jabbing a slender hand at his crop of dark blonde follicles. “When will you learn to grow it out so it looks half way decent?”

“Agh,” he spat, “It looks like a badger died on my head whenever I grow it out.”

Adreia shook her head. “You’re hopeless.”

“And you’re helpless.”

She nodded at that, proud of the fact that she would forever spurn aid, even from the one allegedly betrothed to her. “So why are you here so late, Cal?”

“What, can’t a guy visit his favorite Lakedaemonean slave girl in the small hours?” She replied with a choice gesture of her hand. He let out a chuckle before settling himself to tell the truth. “I just received word from my father; Rome has recalled the Julii to Arriteum.”

She perked up at that. “For what?”

“The Senate has grown suspicious of our successes against the Gauls. They are coming to inspect our capital for any transgressions. Father, along with every major Julii house member, has been ordered to stay in Arriteum for the spring. Ankarnius is there, along with six of our governors from Alesia, Segestica, Trier, Ariminum, Patavium, and Iuvavum. They’re all under suspicion for disobeying Republican taxation mandates. Even the Scipii and the Brutii are undergoing similar investigations. It’s all bullshit, of course, but still, they’ve got to do the dance.”

Adreia’s eyes lit up; finally, their chance to leave. “Great, so when do we go?”

Calipulus hesitated. “We’re not.” Adreia’s countenance seemed to deflate with disappointment. “Father doesn’t like the way it smells. He’s ordered me to stay here and keep managing our affairs in Hellas.” It wounded him to the marrow to see her saddened.

“Always the dutiful son,” she seethed. But one look at his tortured face was enough to bridle her anger.

“I would not have met you otherwise.” That seemed to shut her up, if for only a moment.

Adreia was a strong woman, but everyone had their limit. She had seemed to reach hers. She was now twenty-four, well passed the age of betrothal. Her mother was a Gaul slave captured in Condate Redonum nearly thirty years ago when Titus Julius’ brother had rampaged through the North. That’s where she got her fair skin and magnificent green eyes. Her father, on the other hand, was a Spartan; a middle class hoplite captured after the Julii’s siege of Lakedaemon and recruited by Titus to help train his legionnaires in the old ways of Lykurgus. It was from this imposing warrior that she had received her blonde locks and imposing stare, along with her powerful aura. Every bit of Spartan heritage flowed through her veins, from the physical perfection to the rigid piety.

Calipulus could not have asked for a more perfect girl. There was even talk that he, the young general who worshipped Hymen for the sole purpose of spurning marriage, had finally found the one to settle down with. He refused this of course, but at times he found his mind wandering to their future together, whatever that might entail. If Titus had his way, Calipulus would be married and put in charge of Hellas, just like he was all those decades ago.

Calipulus Julius, though, was not like his father. But he wasn’t proud to admit it. He was, however, proud to admit that he was nothing like his great-great-grandfather. But even now, after three years spent learning to govern the very city his legion had sacked, the comparisons and contrasts were unavoidable. He looked nothing like his ancestors. All of them were tall and slender. He wasn’t even six feet, and certainly did not carry the same weighted gravitas of his elders. Calipulus loved life, excitement and best of all, his freedom, which was what complicated his relationship with Adreia.

The two lovers’ situation was not helped by her father, who sought vehemently to reclaim the woman and bring her back to Sparta, dead or alive. Twice he had sent assassins to kidnap or kill her, and while both attempts failed, her comfort in Athens was growing membranous-thin. Calipulus was aware of this, dreadfully so, and now found an opportunity to proffer her salvation.

“I know you want to go back, Adreia…”

“-My father will not stop coming after me unless we leave. Not even the faking of my own death has eluded him from the trail!”

“I know, the Arkadians are persistent people, which is why I’m sending you back with our regents to speak on my behalf.”

“What use will they have of a woman?” she laughed. “They will pay me no more heed than a yapping dog!”

He gave her a playful grin. “Well, you always were kind of a bitch.”

Adreia’s eyes turned to saucers and her mouth gaped with the hint of laughter. She playfully thwacked him with a pillow, snatched from her nearby bed. “Jerk!” she shouted with a smile.

Calipulus burst into laughter, taking the hard blow of the pillow with his arm. “Owe!” he yelped. Spartan women were tough, for sure, even those who were a few inches shorter than he. “I’m just kidding! Come on, not so hard, alright? I’m fragile.”

“Oh right,” she grinned. “Well, I guess the ‘bitch’ should have a pup to nurse.” The laughter settled between the two, until both found each other exchanging somber glances.

“It doesn’t matter though, Cal, because I’m not leaving you.”

“I’m ordering you to go.”

She raised her eyebrows, her arms instinctively folding across her chest. “Oh really? And how do you think to manage that?”

“You’re right: Your father won’t stop hunting you. I send you to Arriteum and you’ll be safe; safe from him, safe from our rivals, and safe from the inevitable sieges the Greeks are preparing to mount upon Athens. I want you away from here until things settle down and we get a chance to bring down you father.”

“I see, so you’re just going to ship me off like a crate of peaches.”

“More like figs.” She gave him a sign with her finger then, one that conveyed all the witty repertoire of Sparta, absent words. “It’ll just be for a few weeks; long enough for things to settle down here.”

All congeniality fled from her as he said that, replaced instead by frustration. Her temper flared. “I’m not going to be bussed off to the safety of the Julii capital like some fragile sculpture you wish to preserve. I don’t need your protection.”

“I’m not saying you do, Adreia,” he tried. “But it would give me peace of mind to know you’re in a better place than Athens right now. It’ll allow me to focus on what lies ahead.”

“You focus better when I’m around, and you know it,” she said with a sarcastic tone and a sly grin to match.

“Right, like you’ve never distracted me from my work.” He proffered his sore hands as evidence.

“Who me? Never. That’s totally your own doing.” Her sarcasm was mired in anger; indignation at the thought of him seeking to protect her. It fouled her mood.

He shot her a wry look. “Perhaps, but regardless, things have already been arranged. I’ll meet you in Arriteum in a few weeks. I just have to finish preparations here first.”

“Fine,” she said, resigned. “Do what you think is best.” She waved him away dismissively. “I’ve got to go to bed. You should take your leave.”

Calipulus sighed. “Alright.” He made his way to the door, hoping she’d come to her senses and stop him. But he knew her better than that. When her temper was up there was no abating it. The storm must be ridden out. Eventually her fire would cool, and they could make up. But for now, he was in the doghouse. He opened the door and crossed the threshold. When he got into the corridor he turned to see her rummaging through her dresser. Already she was putting him out of her mind. “Adreia,” he called. She wheeled on him, her eyes ablaze and her arms rigid on her hips. Truly, her Spartan blood boiled. Calipulus, though, had learned a few tricks. He motioned with a slight wave for her to come over. Reluctantly, she agreed. When she was less than a meter away, he spoke. “I love you. You know that, right?”

She nodded. In the silence their green eyes locked. Her anger didn’t really vanish, but it did recede long enough for her to comply. He reached up and placed a hand on her slender cheek.

“Do this,” he said, “if for nothing else, than for me. I know you can take care of yourself, all Spartan women can. But there’s something going on right now and I’d like to know that the one I care about the most is safe. I won’t be able to sleep otherwise.”

She shifted her kleros robe. “Alright,” she finally growled, begrudgingly eyeing him. “But don’t think we’re starting a trend here!” She half-jokingly jabbed a finger for emphasis.

All Calipulus could do was raise his arms and laugh. “Okay, okay, just don’t hit me again!” She ebbed a bit, backing off and releasing a grin of her own. “The ship leaves tomorrow,” he continued. “We’ve managed to acquire passage on a Scipii septireme. They’re hauling some Brutii nobles and a cadre of hestati bodyguards back to Italy; no one essential, but important enough to warrant some measure of protection. Apparently Emperor Marius sees fit to call all three families home for this investigation. Father thinks we’ll get a fair shake though, so I’m not too worried.”

“So I’m leaving tomorrow?” she asked. Calipulus nodded. She leaned up and kissed his cheek. “I’ll see you in Arriteum.”

The House of Julii
Part One
“…Marius’ reforms are revolutionary…frightening even. But they, like all other innovations, will be weathered by the Republic. Rome shall evolve…”
-Titus Julius

Spring nights in Iavuvum are sweltering and utterly pitch. It feels as though I am breathing into a furnace when I exit my tent to piss or receive the night watchman’s debriefing. The only relief I get is when it is raining, but even then the downpours drench every stitch of cloth and turn my tent floor into a quagmire of mud. It is a far cry from the marble halls of our family’s palace in Arriteum. Perhaps I should have been an advisor to the new Emperor Marius instead of the Duke of the House of Julii, Titus Julius?

Regardless, here I am. Two weeks ago I would have readily proffered an introduction before launching on such a narrative. But I must confess that, now, I am somewhat embarrassed to reveal myself let alone my station and current condition. But alas, I must, for posterity if nothing else.

I am Indimitrianus, chief advisor to Titus Julius. They call me Scales. Though originally from Hispania, my services were purchased by the Duke when our paths intersected in Aquitania. His campaigns against the Gauls had led him there, along with Marius and his armies. The two had seemed to work well in concert, Marius affording the fame for his campaigns and the Julii receiving the lion’s share of taxation benefits and provincial rule. Things were good for the Julii. My how the winds of fortune can change so swiftly.

We have been betrayed. Perhaps it was our new Emperor’s paranoia or a bit of pressure from the Senators to off the “Faction for the People”? They never did understand or respect the power of the plebes. Either way, we have escaped with our lives and the rags on our bloodied backs. Arriteum is in ashes. Marius’ new legions have seized upon our house’s capital and razed it to the foundation stones. Every hestati and velites who picked up the pilum or gladius in our defense is now charred carrion. Even our legendary equites are food for the buzzards. Only Titus Julius, myself, and my Duke’s bodyguard Halifax have survived to flee north towards our outpost at Iuvavum.

As I ride on the back of one of my master’s sable geldings I cannot help but recall the events that must have led up to such an atrocity. Chief among the Julii has always been trust. It is how we have garnered so much power and prestige among the plebes. They have always been naturally suspicious of nobility, so any effort to afford them the respect and fidelity they deserve has been automatically requited with interest. It is how we have become as powerful as we are…or should I say, once were. But trust has always been the secret to the Duke’s victories in Gaul, as well. His partnership with Marius won him as many campaigns as did his tactical brilliance. Such sentiments carried over into the Senatorial floor, right up until the moment Marius’ new Legionaries battered down our stone barbican and flooded our bailey with the blood of our soldiers and citizens. Perhaps that is what led us to our doom? Perhaps the Julii trust too much?

Regardless, we are all that is left of Arriteum. And we are not much. My master, Titus, has barely half of his leather cuirass left, his scarlet Julii robe in tatters soaked in blood. We have had to lash him to his steed, so exhausted and broken is his aged body that he cannot maintain the strength required to stride his mount. Cuts and gashes pepper his whiskery, gaunt visage. His long limbs hang limply about the flanks and neck of his horse. His hair, once a noble grey, is now caked with a paste of blood and ash. The man is well past sixty and yet his fortitude in the press of battle held as well as any of the principes. These young bucks drew strength from his apparition alone, doubled and tripled by his vigor in combat. Yet now, in the wake of such exploits, he looks well past seventy. His blood has cooled, and with it his life’s strength has seemed to drain from him.

His bodyguard, Halifax, has favored little better. During the battle this giant of a Makedonean never left his side, fighting with a sarissa and a Greek xyphos until the blade sundered and the spear’s haft shivered. He resorted to the halves of the sarissa then, using the flanged buttspike as a mace and the spear head as a warspear. From his bearded, tooth-rotting maw bellowed such roars as to tremble the wood planks and flagstones of our palace. Marius’ Legionaries withered under this Greek brute’s war cry, until their legate himself had to stride forward and spurn them on to attack. The resulting chaos left Halifax with numerous gashes along his broad shoulders and massive arms, the loss of two fingers on his right hand, his scalp sheared in two places, his left ear burnt to a stump, and his right eye plucked from its tendons by the tip of a gladius. Yet the Makedonean never wavered, and only retreated when I managed to bring our team of carriage horses to the rear gates of the palace, affecting our escape. We plunged into the night, knowing that our only salvation lay to the north, at our Gallic fortress of Iuvavum.

We spend the next two weeks trekking through the dark wild lands, Halifax doing his best to cover our tracks while I tend our master’s wounds sustained in battle. But the Duke’s health does not concern me, at the moment, as much as our burly bodyguard. It is he that is securing our safety and navigating these treacherous mountain passes. It is he that is able to pick the best spots to camp in the forests. We are alive because of him. I cannot let him perish, though the wounds make his appearance monstrous beyond all redemption. He looks like a Cyclops now, a gorgon of imposing height and menacing visage. His hideousness will no doubt play to our advantage, though, should the legions of Marius happen upon our trail. And the infamy acquired at such a battle will surely make the Legionaries think twice before seizing upon us. I am eternally grateful to be in his hands.

We arrive safely in Iuvavum in mid May, exhausted and withered like a winter vine from our harrowing journey. The governor of this province, Titus Julius’ nephew Peunisivius, receives us with an extremity of concern that warrants Halifax’s intervention. The boy is so racked with grief that he nearly plunges upon his own sword in angst and sorrow. We relate to him our tale in guarded vagaries as not to overwhelm him. We handle the news of his father’s death—as well as the deaths of many other prominent Julii nobles—as delicately as we know how. Here is where my mastery of words comes into play. But even I am barely able to divulge the entirety of our story without embracing him; to sustain his sobs and weather his cries as the wharf in a tempest. When his composure is ultimately summoned we are ushered in to his governor’s mansion court and presented with fresh clothing and food. Peunisivius, seeing our Duke so fragile, offers his throne and a bear fur large enough to match a quilt, knowing it is my master’s preference to sit thusly. It is here that we entreat his counsel on the affairs of our furthest-flung province.

“We have nearly fifteen hundred legionnaires stationed in the garrison,” he describes over a bowl of wine. “Most of these are veterans from the conquests here ten years ago, so they’re fresh on the hazards of war.”

Titus remains in the nephew’s throne, his tall form swaddled by the bear fur as a babe in a crib. His eyes are sunken in and his cheeks so sallow and gaunt that he resembles a skull. Truly, we fear he is half dead.

“What of the people,” he asks. “How many can we levy for legion training?”

Peunisivius sighs. “Fourteen, fifteen thousand. Though we’d have to conger every suttler’s boy and stable hand to meet the quota.”

My master, slack-jawed and weak, raises his head long enough to utter the words: “Do it.” Titus’ cousin objects, stating that it will exhaust the region of its populace. “We have been tracked,” my master croaks with the volume of a whisper, “from Arriteum. Soon they shall be here.”

Peunisivius exchanges looks of terror with both his uncle and me. To my surprise, it is Halifax who intervenes and elaborates.

“The legions that befell us were Marius’ new cohorts; unlike anything we’ve faced before. Their armor is the chain and scale, and their weapons are all pila and gladii. There are no divisions, no classes. Gone are the equites, velites, principes and hestati. Only the ‘Legionaries’ fill their ranks. They are as fierce and stout as the Titans of old. If we are ill prepared then nothing will stop them. They will roll over us as a juggernaut.”

I second this, stating that the people will surely rally under threat of such a force.

Peunisivius relents. “Most still resent our conquest. It is all we can do to keep them happy. They will not fight for us, and should my garrison uproot these savages will revolt. I cannot convince them to marshal against the Emperor of Rome.”

“Then tell them,” Titus groans, “that if they do not these new legions will find them and put them all to the sword, as they did the people of Arriteum.” With that my master faints. We revive him from the swoon and proffer further evidence to convince his nephew.

Two days later we are met by a boon of unimaginable relief. Titus’ son, Calipulus, has reached us, aware of our ill fortune and burning with news. He reaches my master in the governor’s hall, nursing him while he tells of the legions that razed our capital. His once scarlet tunic is now soiled to a ruddy brown, and his hair is so mussed as to be considered a clump of sod on his crown. He is covered in grime, yet is impetuous in his zeal to debrief his father.

“There are four of them, by my count,” he describes, “all armed and armored in uniformity. By their standards and sigils I could divine their name. They are called the Cordova Legions, and their general is a legate, Senator Galippus of Syracuse. The men chant his name like he is some sort of god, though by the looks in their eyes I would reckon they fear him more than love him.”

My master draws up at this, concerned. “How did you…”

“-Evade them?” Calipulus finishes with a sly grin. “It was easy; I kept to the mountains and only rode at night, just as you taught me.” His smile fades however, as he continues his account. “They are many, Father, all armed to the teeth and as professional as it gets. What’s worse; they’re nearing the Noricum Alps. Unless your scent is diverted they will be here before the end of the summer.” He lingers then, still maintaining his composure as he stands before Titus. My master knows his son though, and beckons him to come close. Even in his weakened state he can discern a sorrow dammed up within his scion’s heart. The young man approaches his father, and in moments his knees begin to quake.

A silence hangs in the court as both men stare at each other’s person. And then their eyes meet, and Calipulus falls to his knees, burying his head in the lap of his elder and sobbing uncontrollably. His whole body quivers, his shoulders shuddering so violently with each issue of sobs as to make me think he has fallen into palsy. Moans and cries flood from his breast as he wallows in the aching remorse. The hall echoes with the sounds of his anguish.

Throughout this Titus sits, his son’s head sunk into his lap, wetting with tears, spittle and snot. I approach to relieve my master of his son’s broken spirit. He waves me back, shooting me a glare with his eyes as to belie any weakness he may have once conveyed. I rescind myself and back away, watching as he places a hand on the nape of Calipulus’ neck.

Halifax and I exchange glances. We are relieved to see our future Duke alive and in good physical health, but his emotional condition is in a fevered extremity, and we are concerned it might tax our faction leader. We also know the reason behind his breakdown.

Calipulus is a prodigy, to say the least. It was he who, three years prior, besieged and sacked Athens. It has practically been his province since, though his father resided as local regent to free up the young buck’s time. Calipulus looks nothing like his elders: he is short and stocky, but fit. His green eyes and short blonde hair are reminiscent of the Gallic foes of old, not of the Greeks or Romans. His appearance misplaces him in Hellas. But his personality is perfect for Greece. Calipulus is a playboy. He loves to enjoy the decadent splendors of life. While the religious pomp of the Akropolis does not befit him, the wild streets of Corinth are a perfect match. He loves to have fun. But, in a strange dichotomy, he also worships Sparta. Perhaps it is his fascination with warfare and the Greek virtue of masculine courage, but the birthplace of Lykurgus, Leonidas, Lysander and Arkidamus compels him.

He has, in this fish-out-of-water situation, met a half-Lakedaemonean woman. She has the grace and fair looks of Helen, and the personality of Gorgo. She is practically a princess posing as a slave. Her indentured service to the Julii house was an imposition of birth (her mother was a nursing maid taken from Titus’ Gallic campaigns). Yet Calipulus, who worships the god Hymen so that his appeasement may aid him in avoiding marriage, has fallen for this pious lioness as a comet plummets to Terra Firma. Rumors abounded that they were considering marriage, which enraged her Spartan father to such an extent as to send Arkadian assassins against her.

Calipulus sought to preserve her from the trials of Hellas, and shipped her to Arriteum to attend the conference on his behalf, the conference that resulted in our betrayal. He wanted to keep her safe, no doubt. Instead, she was killed; just one of thousands of citizens butchered and burned in Arriteum. I could see it in his eyes when he came through the door: he knew she was gone, and it was his order that had killed her.

My master looks at me. “Scales, Halifax, depart from us.”

As his son’s grief plays out Halifax and I excuse ourselves. We take to Iavuvum’s muggy, filthy streets. Two hours later we are met by two heralds who come galloping up to meet us. They present an emissary, bustling him off the back of one of their horses. This messenger is more bedraggled than any of the grimiest street urchins. We cannot even tell what color his tunic is, so worn and soiled from travel he is. Nevertheless he approaches us, wide-eyed and grim.

“My lords," he begins with that dialect of pomp that I recognize in all fellows of the administration corps, “I am Vitrunio Nepalitus.” He bows. “I was sent by Farious Scipii to inform you: the same ill-fated star that has divined your house’s demise has also cursed the Houses of Scipii and Brutii. We have all been betrayed.” I nearly fall on my hindquarters. Halifax can only issue a sigh of such magnitude as to resemble a gale. “Tarentum, Capua, both have been sacked. My master says that, no doubt by the time I reach you, others will have fallen as well. Rome has betrayed us, gentlemen. Flavius Scipius beckons you to join him in his island villa of Messana for a secret council between the three families. It is his hope that fidelity can be achieved and an accord be gained between us. War has come to our noble houses, and my master invites you to meet with those who are up the same creek, so that a solution may be ascertained.”

In moments we are racing inside, ushering Vitrunio into the presence of the Duke. He recounts his message, verbatim, before Titus. Our leader is again assaulted by grief, though this time it is his own. When he has banished the sentiment from his heart he rises and declares to the envoy that he must return to Flavius at once with the following message: “Julius is with you.”

In June we are sailing for Messana. This time there are five of us: Titus Julius, Calipulus Julius, Halifax, Peunisivius, and myself. When our bireme moors on the docks it is dusk. An orange sky burns the horizon to our right, cascading the small mountain peaks of Messana in shadows of pure pitch. All around us the dark waves crash and roll, the surf of the dock rough during this summer season. Our hearts empathize with such violence, for we are adrift in a sea of madness.

Our assembly is silent as we mount the sand-encrusted steps of Farious’ palace, an immaculate settlement carved from the sandstone of the very island itself. It is an evening vista bursting with ruddy browns against the cobalt shadows and winking, starlit heavens. When we enter the building we are ushered into the governor’s hall, an open-air flagstone court ringed with low-arched rooms. At the center is a circular table filled with food, a feast that we are surprised could be culled together in such terrible times.

Seated are eight nobles, four from each house. Farious Scipii is at the end opposite us, with his wife and two retainers flanking him. To our right sit the delegation of Marcus Brutius and his fellow Brutii, their green togas swaddled about their athletic forms. The Brutii are warriors of renown, hardened by Greek foes and tested by Dacian raiding parties. They are the best fighters Rome can muster. By contrast, Farious Scipii and his crew are all sea-weathered salts, tanned to the tone of hide by decades spent on the summer seas. Though not as gifted with the pilum or gladius, the Scipii are masters of the word and pen, and even greater prodigies when it comes to the mast and oar. I have seen many seafaring people in my day, but none can outmatch the hosts of Farious.

Then, we begin.

“Gentlemen,” croons Farious, “long have the fates afforded us the recognition we so deserve. We are the oldest and wisest, bravest and truest of the royal houses, and Rome has always rewarded us for our unerring service to her name. It was we, the Scipii, who quelled mighty Carthage at the sea. The Brutii who held back the seemingly-indomitable hosts of Hellas, and the Julii who worked in such magnanimous concert with Marius to bring the Gallic tribes into the light of Rome’s civilization.

“Yet now a dark age has dawned upon us, one that has shivered us as a broken mast from the galleon of our exploits. Fame has soured to villainy. Savior has been branded outlaw. And yet, through all the tempests of such ruin, we are not to blame.” Marcus Brutius second this, stating that barely had he set foot on Appollonia’s docks before hearing the news of Tarentum’s demise, razed by Marius’ maddened Legionaries.

Titus ascends this, stating the following: “I cannot confess to you the degree of ire that burns in my heart. Arriteum is in ashes, along with Patavium, Segestica, and no doubt Ariminum. My family is dead.” He places a hand furtively on his son’s knee. “Many who we care about have perished, all innocent and at Marius’ hand. I first must offer an apology of supreme consternation, for it was my hand that served Marius all those years in our campaigns against the Gauls, and my purse that sustained the funding for both of our armies. I fear that I have fostered the development of a beast; that I have ensured a monster live to wreak havoc upon those who have propped him up.” He takes a moment to compose himself. “The Julii hate a traitor. Those who would stab us in the back are as vile as the very barbarians we have warred against. And yet, now, we have been betrayed by a man whose friendship was almost as dear as the Brutii themselves!” His tone reaches a fevered pitch, and for a moment it seems he cannot continue. Damn the gods for sucking the vigor from my master’s daemon. “Yet, as one alliance has brought about our ruin, perhaps that of another will proffer our salvation?”

Farious seizes upon this. “That is exactly why I have called you here. Let us make a pact: to destroy these new legions of Marius and restore ourselves to the Senate. Surely our fellow politicians have been deceived, for who would seek to depose Rome’s most magnificent stock?”

Marcus Brutius relents at this, stating that such truces have often deprived his people of the rewards they so desperately have earned. This seems to strike my master like a hammer blow. He turns to Marcus Brutius.

“We of the Julii can hardly forget the exploits of the Brutii, and their sacrifice on our behalf at Athens. Your memories are great, yes, but your fealty to honor and valor is greater. The Ibex of Jupiter, which looms over Athens, stands as a testament to what can be achieved when good men act in concert for the sake of benevolence. Do not forsake the old alliances, my dear Brutius, join us and the Scipii and let us make our revenge upon the Senate and their tyrant-Emperor.”

Reluctantly, Marcus agrees. No sooner does this occur than a thunderous clamor arises within our congress. I am knocked unconscious by some unknown object, yet when I arise it is to the sound of my name.

“Scales! Scales!” I hear someone calling me. “Wake up.” It is Calipulus. He shakes me until my eyes open. I behold a scene now all too familiar. The court is trashed, decimated by combat. Strewn about are the armored and shrouded bodies of our assailants. All are masked. Arcani. We have been beset by Roman assassins. As I come to my senses I hear Marcus Brutius roaring in outrage. He calls for the traitor to name himself and face judgment like a virtuous man instead of skulking about "like a ****ing rat”. Needless to say, no one takes the offer. I espy the condition of our council, noting that one of the Brutii has been struck through the neck with that long dagger made infamous by the Arcani. Peunisivius has been struck in the hip with one of these monstrous knives. He cannot stand, let alone walk. Calipulus has lost the tips of two fingers and managed to have his left ankle run through. How the buck could have sustained such a wound to his ankle I shall never know, yet, there it is.

When all is safe and secure it is decided that the delegation has ended. All of us return to our ships, swearing the oath to one another that we will work to bring down Marius. We exchange information on available forces and where we plan to move them. Marcus states that he will move to retake Tarentum, Farious for Capua, and my master indicates that he will indeed set out to retake both Patavium and Arriteum. When all is agreed upon we depart company, our wounded from the attack in tow.

When we return to Iuvavum we learn that the levy raised to fill the ranks of our new legion cannot exceed fourteen thousand. This is disheartening.

“It will not be enough,” my master declares. He orders riders and runners both sent to every province and outpost not yet touched by the Cordova Legions. “To all provinces of the Julii: The sun will rise. Retribution. Send what you can.” Yet even with such culled forces, we are unsure. The Gauls are not taking to Roman discipline as well as we had hoped. In a rare occasion, I see Titus become incensed.

“I hate these Gauls,” he declares with a shout. “I mean it, I despise them the way a man despises cowardice, disease and death. I hate them to their fetid core, every last one of them!” Halifax and I move to calm him, but Calipulus intercepts us, hinting that our master must be allowed to vent. “If given the chance I would wipe them from the earth, purge them as a plague to prevent their seed from further infecting the splendor of this world! They are mindless barbarians barely worth the flesh it takes to wrap their savage souls! Damn these bastards with their ridiculous hair and guttural shield banging. These tribal mongrels would not know true courage if it sunk a gladius into their guts!” At that he draws up and sinks into Peusivinius’ throne to rest. We close upon him and offer our empathies. The truth of his outrage is that the Gauls will not provide him the elite fighting force required to achieve revenge. Their inferiority will render his job all the harder. Yet part of it is simple stress. Nevertheless we love our Titus Julius and commiserate in his angst.

In July our fears are somewhat abated. A band of rebels gathers in the hills just before the Noricum Alps. These raiders have commandeered old Roman equipment and arms, along with some Italian horse stock. They descend upon caravans and harass our supply lines. They are a menace, though nothing as imposing as Roman legions. However, they are all Gauls, and as such my master wishes to seek the resolve of his new legions in training. Titus decides to send them out. The battle is hard fought, but upon the craggy slopes of the Noricums these new Julii legions prove themselves. We exterminate the entire rebel army, down to the last bung-holing bandit. Nevertheless the legions are not ready for a face off against the Cordovas.

And what is worse is that we soon receive word that General Galippus is crossing the mountains. He’s picked up our trail. Red herrings are sent out in the form of dummy caravans to make false tracks in the summer mud. Forests are cleared twenty leagues away from our original path to Iavuvum, in hopes that the legions will think we made camp and headed more east than north. Such ploys work, and our scouts report that the Cordovas have been fooled.

But we all know it is a temporary fix. They will grow wise, and when they do we will not be able to trick them again. But our host is aided by a miracle of the most unlikely sources in this dark hour. It comes in the form of a Dacian.

His name we never knew, yet all simply called him Piss Pot. He reeked of urine that always seemed to emanate from his bronze bowl helmet. The man was a Dacian of the purest savage stock, blowing into town on a foul-stenched breeze to sell his stolen wares. He spat and cursed in every corner of our city, in the presence of women, clerics and priests, even our statesmen—what few remained. Yet, our Titus seemed to be drawn to this man as a moth to a flame. He enjoyed the company of this lewd tyrant, whose lack of pretense was a relief. He also claimed to hold half of Dacia under his thrall.

“All tracks past Tribus Iazyges,” he declares with a toothless grin. It’s all bullshit, my master is certain. But such a claim must come with some validity. Maybe the madcap has some pull? The Dacians call provinces ‘tracks’ for that is all they are to them: tracks of land to facilitate the movement of an army in its conquest. Every territory, no matter how large, is nothing more than a space to ship their roving bands of ragamuffin heavy infantry. As to what their true destination is, who knows? But it is obvious that they have not found it yet. My master hopes it is Rome.

“Every stitch of turf is yours?” Titus asks. The Dacian nods excitedly, launching into a stream of curses at how ugly our palace is and what a difference some pig shit would make on the floor.

“Romans like it so clean!” he roars with outstretched hands. “Give me dirt of earth and scent of hog!” Titus laughs, thoroughly entertained. It is the first time I have seen him do so since March. “I like to see Rome covered in shit!” he bellows.

“What if I gave you the chance?” Titus asks. Immediately all laughter ceases, replaced by an earnest gravitas. “Rome has betrayed the Julii, scattering us to the appetites of wolves and the ravages of nature.”

“Ah, yes, wolves, very nasty buggers…but tasty when you get to the ass.”

Titus smiles, while I wish to vomit. “I need an army, Piss Pot. We have some trained, but they're…” he feigns delicacy and leans in close to the Dacian. “…Gauls.” He says it in a tone that indicates Piss Pot knows what he is implying. The Dacian, for whatever it’s worth, seems to understand, though it could be imagined.

“Ah, yes, yes. Not good for tough weather.”

“No,” Titus shakes his head, “they’re certainly fair-weather friends. Not like good Dacian warriors: bronze armor, falxes, hardy men and hardier horses.” With each of these Piss Pot erupts into exclamations of higher and higher ascent until the room is filled with his trumpeting. In the impetus he loses control and farts.

“We are greatest warriors! Great enough to beat new Emperor’s metal army!”

“I’ll pay you to try.”

The Dacian savage’s eyes alight. “How many you need?”

Titus, in that fashion that only the Julii can master, simply smiles.

“How many you got?”

To Be Continued….

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

"Sometimes, a view from sinless eyes,
Centers our perspective and pacifies our cries..."

[This message has been edited by Argo (edited 06-30-2005 @ 01:29 AM).]

posted 29 June 2005 23:35 EDT (US)     11 / 91  
magnificent.
posted 30 June 2005 01:15 EDT (US)     12 / 91  
(APR 100BC)

Farious Scipii, head of the Scipii family, stared dumb-founded at his spy.

The spy stood stoic for a second and then spoke, “Milord, did you hear me? Four legions of senatorial troops are marching here on the rampage! They shall be here by sunset!”

The news didn’t make any more sense the second time Farious heard it. “But why? What could we have done to incur their wrath? We are a modest family. We don’t even delve into the politics that much. Why would they be coming to destroy us? Now the Brutii, I can understand the Senate needing to punish them. I mean they never listen to anyone! But why us?!?”

“Uh..milord…”

“Dammit Stephos we have known each other from childhood, call me by my given name when we are alone.”

Stephos the spy relaxed, “Sorry Farious, you know there are protocols to observe. What does the “why” matter? The fact is, they ARE coming, and we don’t have the forces to stop them! Farious, we have to get you and Olivia out of here.”

The mention of his lovely wife snapped Farious out of his awe. “Of course you are right. Order the soldiers to retreat to the caves on Mt Vesuvius. Have them take enough food for a few months. Tell them to leave their family colors behind, so as not to reveal their nature. Perhaps they can pass for homeless families until I can return. Order the citizens to cooperate as best they can. Perhaps civility amongst the citizens will be met with the same. Have out fastest mounts readied and make arrangements for us to meet a trieme at the dockyard on the coast. I will notify Olivia. Use your network of spies to spread the word that I shall return to free our people.”

Farious quickly climbed the central stairs of the governor’s palace, and arrived outside his bedchambers. He calmed himself and threw open the door. There standing before him was the beautiful Olivia. Standing just over 5 foot tall, with light brown hair and eyes the color of the Mediterranean, she was the object of many a man’s affection in her youth, but she has chosen Farious. They had planned for a family, but 8 years had passed and the gods had not yet blessed them. Yet they loved each other nonetheless.

“Ah husband, you are here early today. Shall me make our “offering” of fertility to the gods now?” She smiled mischievously at her husband, but as she saw his face, her smile faded. “What is it?”

“Stephos was headed back to Rome to spy on the Senate and he came across a senatorial army headed here.”

“So? Why does that cause you alarm?”

“My love, the Senate doesn’t send out armies to just walk around. They are coming here for a reason, and their reasons are never good. I have ordered the army to hide in the hills, and for the population to acquiesce to the demands of the Senate. Our horses are ready, and a ship is waiting. We must sail to Messana and regroup. The Senate has no ships, and so they can’t follow us.”

“But what about the other families, surely the Julii and Brutii would help us.”

“Perhaps Olivia, but every sense Saturnius convinced the Senate that Marius should be made Emperor in February, they have been excluded just like us. For all we know they have been attacked too.”

“Nonsense Farious, the Senate would never support attacking all three families.”

“You don’t understand the Senate. They love the Empire, but only because of the power they draw from it. If they thought for a minute someone else would threaten that power, they would crush them beneath their feet.” Farious let his words sink in, and then continued. “My love, if we leave now, we can get away and send messenger to see what is going on. The other families and I agreed years ago that is we were ever banished, we would retreat to secret locations. I shall rally the other heads and bring them to the safety of Messana for a conference.”

“Very well my love. Let us go where you wish.” Olivia quickly packed a bag, and within the hour they were riding south towards the dockyard.

(MAY 100BC)

Farious and Olivia had been in Messana for two weeks now. Their cross-country ride to the coast had been uneventful. As they sailed from the dockyard, they could see a large cloud of dust approaching from the direction of Capua. Someone had revealed their location.

Farious had received word that the Senatorial army had been gruff at first when they learned Farious was gone, but their rule had softened and he found out that some of the soldiers had remained behind and had organized a resistance movement. Although it was currently clandestined, they were sorting of detail and info, and determining troop strength for Farious. It appeared that, as Farious feared, the Julii and Brutii had been attacked as well. Apparently both the Brutii and Julii had put up fights, but their units had been slaughtered.

Farious sent messengers to Luvunum and Apollonia to contact the heads of the Brutii and Julii. Only the three family heads knew of the secret hideaways for them, if they were ever outlawed.

Farious had been building a force in Messana to attack Lilybaeum, and so he had 8000 Scipii troops available to him. He knew they would mean nothing to the 20000 Marius Legions, and so he began recruiting mercenaries.

Farious also sent diplomats to Lilybaeum in an attempt to make peace. The heads of the diplomats were sent back. Evidently Carthage was aware of what was going on, and planned to take advantage.

Farious had another problem. With only Messana as a Scipii holding, they had no ports with which to trade and bring in profits.

Farious decided to take a gamble. He ordered his army to capture Lilybaeum. He knew that should he conquer Lilybaeum, he would be able to draw on the Carthaginian populace for more manpower, but he was going to need to take it somehow with almost no losses. That would require careful planning.

Farious called upon his dear friend Stephos. Farious walked into his home, and called out. “Stephos are you here?”

From the shadows a voice answered, “Yes Farious. I’m here. How can I serve milord?”

“You know you are my oldest friend, but I need help.”

Stephos stepped from the shadows with a serious look on his face. “Whatever you command, it shall be done.”

“This is no command, it is a request. I need the gates to Lilybaeum opened in two days at dawn.”

Stephos nodded, grabbed a small bag, and was gone before Farious could say another word.

The next morning, Farious ordered all but 500 troops to march for Lilybaeum. He knew that if they marched hard, they would arrive near dawn the next day.

Meanwhile, Stephos had arrived mid-morning and slipped inside Lilybaeum with a trade caravan. He made a quick survey of the gate mechanism and saw it guarded by three Sacred Band spearmen. It was times like this Stephos was glad to be an assassin as well.

Eighteen hours passed, and Stephos found only two spearmen guarded the closed gates at night. About 3 AM, he heard what he was waiting for. The soft cry of a bird of paradise could be heard outside. This was the signal used by Scipii spies.

Stephos stood up and stumbled from the shadows.

Granos and Cronos were new members of the Sacred Band. They had only signed up a year ago, and therefore had been relegated to the job of standing watch over the gate mechanism within Lilybaeum. Granos and Cronos each had a “girlfriend” in town, but the prices they charged was beginning to cut into their modest savings. It they weren’t such great “girlfriends”, they would have been cut loose.

“Cronos, you won’t believe what she can do! She puts her ankles behind her head and…” A sound caused him to stop his bragging, and both men looked around. A man wearing dark brown clothes was staggering towards them.

Cronos was the first to react. “Hold and identify yourself, or we will run you through.”

The man spoke with obviously slurred speech, “Identify yourself. I’m looking for the Golden Touch. Where did they move it to today?”

Both men jumped at the mention of where their women worked, but Granos recovered first. “Ah it’s just a drunk. Move along old man. The brothel is down the road on the right.” Granos had turned back to Cronos, “Now where was I? Oh yeah, feet behind her head. Well then she…”

No other words escaped the mouth of either guard. They were so interested in their story, that they failed to notice that the “drunk” had walked right up to them.

Stephos threw off the brown robe and slashed with twin daggers. He cut both guards across their throats, and grabbed their bodies on the way down to muffle the noise.

He then returned the bird cry and threw open the gates.

Two hours later, Lilybaeum had been seized.

The Scipii forces had captured 5000 Carthaginian soldiers, and 2500 cavalry. All of these forces chose to take loyalty oaths instead of being executed. But best of all, in the Lilybaeum stables, the Scipii found 250 war elephants. Their riders agreed to work for the Scipii as well, for a very nice price. For the first time ever, Carthaginians would be fighting alongside Roman units instead of against them.

Farious would spend the rest of May organizing his new settlement.

(JUN 100BC)

Farious received word in Lilybaeum, that the family heads would arrive in Messana on the 15th of June. He spent the first two weeks of June making all the arrangements for the conference. One thing that had to kept quiet was the fact that he had hired 5000 hoplites from the Greeks in Syracuse. Farious had sent a diplomat to Syracuse in May to bargain for trading rights, and the Greeks had surprisingly agreed, and had offered several squads of their spearmen. Farious knew that should the Brutii discover he was talking to the Greeks, all Hades would break loose.

Farious was getting frequent reports from the resistance units in Capua, and all was well, for the most part. The Senatorial governor was treating the people with respect, but popular opinion was still secretly against him, because he was no Scipii. The tax collectors were secretly withholding money and routing it to Messana.

Finally the plans were done, and the faction heads arrived.

The Brutii and Julii sat at a large table along with Farious Scipii. Farious opened the meeting with a simple speech. When he concluded, the Brutii and Julii applauded Farious, but mostly because he had stopped talking. Farious did manage to announce that he could organize 21000 troops, but failed to mention 5000 of them were Greek.

The Brutii and Julii both spoke their peace, but as the Brutii stood a second time, Farious caught a glimpse of iron, and the doors flew open. Two dozen Arcani flooded the room, all bearing the colors of the Senate.

The fighting was brutal, and several of the slave attendants were killed along with some of the visiting family member’s entourages. But in the end, the Arcani were all slain.

An agreement was quickly made to do whatever was necessary to punish Marius and the Senate, and the family members quickly left.

(JULY 100BC)

Things started out slowly in July, as the Scipii just kept gaining more and more recruits and Farious did more and more planning. Farious’ men caught a Carthaginian spy, and Farious attended his interrogation.

The spy had been stripped naked and was nailed to a board. The nails were through his wrists and ankles, and he was losing more than a little blood. Carthaginians had trained the chief interrogator at a friendlier time, and so he knew what would move the spy most. Xargos, the interrogator, had chopped off 8 fingers and 7 toes, and had shoved two burning pokers into his thigh muscles, before the spy finally began revealing information.

He told them his name was Havian and he was the chief Carthaginian spy. He revealed that he had been sent to spy on the Scipii until the Romans arrived.

“WHAT?” roared Farious, “The Senate is coming here?”

“Yes, and they will kill you all! When you stole Lilybaeum from us, we sent a diplomat to Rome to sell them your location. Enjoy your deaths Scipii!”

Farious drew his gladius out and castrated the spy. “Take him to the dungeons and make sure he lives.”

Farious then returned to his governor’s palace.

As he arrived he looked across the sea, and saw a dozen white masted ships bearing the Carthaginian symbol. Not only had they sold the Senate some information, they were ferrying the troops to Messana. If he survived this, Farious swore to make the Carthaginians pay.

(MID-JULY 100BC)

The siege was two weeks old, and the Scipii had fought valiantly in three skirmishes. They had lost, but they had lost with honor. Fortunately, the Senate had only sent 10000 legionnaires and the Scipii had only lost 1000. Unfortunately, another ship had arrived today, and a dozen onagers were being offloaded.

Farious decided his only chance was a full-scale assault, but just as his entire army emptied Messana, Grecian trumpets sounded to the south. Farious feared betrayal, but when a Greek army appeared, they charged into the Senate’s forces. For the first time, the combined Scipii/Grecian armies defeated the Marius legions.

Farious and the Greeks signed a formal alliance a week later. Farious kept this a closely guarded secret. While the Brutii might understand hiring Greek mercenaries, but they might very well go to war over the alliance.

(AUGUST 100BC)

August brought a slew of choices for Farious. He wanted to punish Carthage for their treachery, but he needed to get back at the Senate more. Then his Greek allies offered a deal. They would send 15000 troops, under the command of 500 Scipii troops to take Carthage. Then they offered to protect Messana while Farious took the bulk of his forces to Italy. Having little choice, Farious agreed.

The next choice was where to strike. Capua was the preferred target, but it was too far from the coast to land a large force. The next most logical choice was Croton, but its loyalties lay with the Brutii. Farious made the only choice he could. He sailed with his forces for Croton.

(MID-AUGUST 100BC)

The legionnaires saw the Roman and Greek armies arrayed before them, and scoffed. Not only were the pathetic Roman forces inferior to their Marius units, they formed up with Greeks that hadn’t changed fighting styles in 200 years. They knew this battle would be a first class rout, and based on that information, they sallied out to meet them. That would be the last mistake they would live to make.

Had they paid more attention to the scene, they might have wondered about the large tents at the far rear of the Scipii lines. As it was, they marched out in formation, and when the 250 war elephants charged from the tents and ran them down, they had no hope of escape.

The entire Senate army was killed or captured, and Farious took the weapons and armor from the dead and the town armory to outfit his units. Then he made sure to spend thousands of denari to ensure that the Brutii citizens welcomed his armies in and made them feel at home.

His last action was to send a messenger to the Brutii, letting them know the good news that Croton had been liberated. Farious reluctantly added that he needed to use Croton as a base until this war was over, or Capua was freed whichever came first.

(SEPTEMBER 100BC)

This was the first quiet month Farious had seen in quite some time. He forces regrouped and grew to almost 28000 men in his army that was staged in Croton.

Also the Scipii/Greek forces had besieged Carthage and were having some successes. Farious ended the summer with dreams of peace soon. He was horribly mistaken.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

Life is full of challenges. You can either step up to them, or step out of the way. The ones who step up, are the ones who will someday rule the world.
posted 30 June 2005 11:16 EDT (US)     13 / 91  

Quote:

(Argo, Lorentius and I are co-authoring this piece. We hope you enjoy it)

TRAITOR! ;^P

In any case, this is the best story I've ever read! (And that is seriously no joke! omg this is good!)

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 30 June 2005 12:25 EDT (US)     14 / 91  
Masterpiece. Publish it.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 30 June 2005 13:05 EDT (US)     15 / 91  
If it makes you feel any better, Night_Raider, it wasn't John's idea....or maybe it was. I can't really remember. But if it makes you feel any better we can just pretend it wasn't.

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

posted 30 June 2005 13:06 EDT (US)     16 / 91  
masterpiece, eh? Wait 'til you read the end.

posted 30 June 2005 14:10 EDT (US)     17 / 91  
Well, just don't forget about our story, John. I posted my section yesterday.

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 30 June 2005 16:24 EDT (US)     18 / 91  
Never fear Night_Raider, I am working on our story too.

Oh and for the record, the colaboration was Lorentius' idea, but the story was mine. :^)

posted 30 June 2005 17:00 EDT (US)     19 / 91  
Don't make me get my sexy female Diplomat John you will work with night and you will like it. That's it.

^Keyra

[This message has been edited by Dio_the_lonely (edited 06-30-2005 @ 05:26 PM).]

posted 30 June 2005 20:22 EDT (US)     20 / 91  
OD, Dio. OD.

« black_knight_101 »

Wait, does this mean that Elpea is my sister? - GoForGoldenJarls

posted 30 June 2005 20:37 EDT (US)     21 / 91  
who the hell is that?

posted 30 June 2005 21:40 EDT (US)     22 / 91  
Go to google and type in Keyra 3. Click first link.

*Orgasm Dies*

Or just do Keyra Augustina in images. nice butt, eh?

BK what do you mean WHy at OD?

[This message has been edited by Dio_the_lonely (edited 06-30-2005 @ 09:42 PM).]

posted 30 June 2005 22:31 EDT (US)     23 / 91  
@ Dio -

*Dies*

*Drool dribbles out of his mouth*

;^P

btw, I already said I stole your sexy female diplomat. She's MINE! MY SEXY FEMALE DIPLOMAT!

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 30 June 2005 23:46 EDT (US)     24 / 91  
Lucky she and her entourage. More hott girls are trained spartans.

And I will keep my other diplomat then,Keira Knightly.

posted 30 June 2005 23:59 EDT (US)     25 / 91  
*Steals other sexy female diploma* She's mine too!

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » The Winds of Remus
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames