Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AAR: Barbarian Invasion
posted 05 December 2007 16:39 EDT (US)   
So I just finished a 2-month BI campaign playing as the Western Romans on VH/VH. I'm uninstalling because I don't think it can be topped.

Here's a link to part 1 (to AD395) of the replay:
http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/dy8sh7MQ

Part 2 (AD395-402)
http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/gN4MZ9Vi

Part 3 (AD402-415)(large file)
http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/rG3Vy3KA

Part 4 (AD415-433) (even bigger)
http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/cE7Ih8uY

Part 5
http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/aJ7mH4bG

More to come!

Chris

[This message has been edited by Daxil (edited 12-17-2007 @ 12:37 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05 December 2007 16:58 EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Very cool, but why would you uninstall? Just don't play the WRE for a long time.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 05 December 2007 17:12 EDT (US)     2 / 27  
Because I've played all the other ones. By all means on VH/VH I give the game a 9/10. Only diplomacy and some occasional bad battlefield ai drag it down. It kept my attention for a good 2 years.
posted 05 December 2007 18:12 EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Hi Daxil, welcome to the forums.

I have never seen anything in Photoshow before. It did not seem to like Firefox, but after loading it in IE it worked fine. Very nice! I like how you added the music in, as well as the text in the pics to explain what was happening. "Run away! Run away!"

Btw. you might want to upload some of those pics to the Toons Gallery. Look here for more info.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 12-05-2007 @ 06:23 PM).]

posted 06 December 2007 00:21 EDT (US)     4 / 27  
Wow. That was amazing. I would have given up long ago on that campaign. Great great job. I can't wait to see the next part.
It did not seem to like Firefox
Really? I used Firefox and it worked fine for me...

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
posted 06 December 2007 17:24 EDT (US)     5 / 27  
Actually, i think ill give that campaign a miss...

It was great to watch, i cant wait to see how you managed to turn it around!

Britain, Britain, Britain!... We've had running water for over ten years and we invented the cat... - Tom Baker
To die in battle is nothing. To live defeated is to die every day. - Napoleon Bonaparte

MTW1 Sicily AAR - Finished 01/09/2008
2009 Snorri Sturlusson Award. Thanks
posted 06 December 2007 21:13 EDT (US)     6 / 27  
Posted part 2. For some reason the JPEGs are showing up blurry for mewhen I'm doing playbacks (which wasn't the case yesterday). If you're having the same problem and want to see a clearer pic click on Album. Obviously I'm not an expert with this program. It could be user error =). Either way I've submitted a query to the PhotoShow maker's help desk so hopefully it can be resolved if it's universal.
posted 06 December 2007 22:50 EDT (US)     7 / 27  
Wow. Those battles with the Huns were intense. Is there a third part coming soon?

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
posted 06 December 2007 23:05 EDT (US)     8 / 27  
posted 07 December 2007 00:03 EDT (US)     9 / 27  
Wow. Those battles with the Huns were intense. Is there a third part coming soon
Yes. Hopefully I can do one every day or two.
posted 08 December 2007 12:04 EDT (US)     10 / 27  
That first fight against them in Part 2 was amazing. Nice job.

Share our wealth!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
As far as I can tell, Baltimore is in redneck country ~ Bored Scotsman
You all realize that both Halo and Starcraft stole their storyline from tetris, right? ~He113ent
posted 08 December 2007 16:06 EDT (US)     11 / 27  
posted 08 December 2007 23:30 EDT (US)     12 / 27  
Ok part 3 is up. It's bigger than the others so a longer d/l. I found out the resolution on these is 740 and 360 or whatever so it's ngoing to be pixalated, but again, you can click on "Album" and get a clearer view.

PS
Thanks for the feedback. It keeps me going. =)
posted 09 December 2007 00:13 EDT (US)     13 / 27  
Wow. That last battle against the Berbers. And then those battles against the Byzantines.

Just amazing. Keep it up. One query though, how many parts do you think there are going to be?

I really like this form of AAR. Perhaps I will do this for the next AAR I do after my Kingdom of Albion one is finished.

posted 09 December 2007 00:25 EDT (US)     14 / 27  
Wow Daxil. That was some battle against the Berbers at Tingi! I did not think you had a prayer of making it through that one when the second Berber army came into action. "For the Looord!"
posted 09 December 2007 13:40 EDT (US)     15 / 27  
Wow. That last battle against the Berbers. And then those battles against the Byzantines.

Just amazing. Keep it up. One query though, how many parts do you think there are going to be?

I really like this form of AAR. Perhaps I will do this for the next AAR I do after my Kingdom of Albion one is finished.
I'm not sure how many there will be. There's kind of natural key points you come up against and I forget what they all were. As far as this program goes, if you're a Comcast cable customer you get it free. You can have up to 400 pictures per show and unlimited shows, but the music database is limited. You get 100 free downloads from emusic though, which I haven't checked out yet. Apparntly they have a couple million songs too choose from. Anyways, it really is a perfect program for AARs, but costs a lot if you're not Comcast.

PS
In that last battle Amulius kind of took off on his own, no orders given, and if you look at the detailed version you'll see peasants smeared all the way down the hill. It was hillarious. I was happy to just have won then noticed him all the way at the bottom of the hill and started taking shots.

[This message has been edited by Daxil (edited 12-09-2007 @ 01:42 PM).]

posted 11 December 2007 16:08 EDT (US)     16 / 27  
posted 11 December 2007 22:34 EDT (US)     17 / 27  
Part 4 up.
posted 11 December 2007 23:14 EDT (US)     18 / 27  
Wow, that one was huge. How many factions were destroyed in there? The Sarmatians, The Saxons, The Huns, and of course the Berbers. Were there more? The bowling ball technique worked pretty well against the latter btw.

That battle against the Celts on the beach looked really exciting. Very touch and go. Those Hounds of Culann are quite fearsome fellows.
posted 13 December 2007 22:21 EDT (US)     19 / 27  
Wow. That was amazing. I just got around to watching part four, and let me tell you, those battles with the Celts? Caesar himself couldn't have done it better.

posted 17 December 2007 13:06 EDT (US)     20 / 27  
Hay guys. I somehow have deleted the last two parts of my AAR lol. I still have the pics for part 5 so I posted unedited. I'm sorry!

Here's the spoiler for parts 6 and 7:

I was cruising to a victory, but then all the sudden the ENTIRE Slav horde just appeared in Gaul and the Franks DOW'd me almost simultaneously. This was with like 20 years left in the game.

CRISIS: The emperor Anthemius moved North from Corduba to deal with the situation (just like his father, Publius).

After part 5 I defeated the Slav horde with one epic battle between 4 full stacks similar to the Hunnic battle. Then Amulius sieged and finioshed off Vicus Alemanni and died literally the next turn. Seemed appropriate.

Following that I invaded and captured Salona and all the sudden two stacks of Byzantines with no less than 8 eagles laid siege to Salona and trapped my army. I was like, this *snipped by Moderator*. Mind you, this was with 18 years left in the game so losing my main army would have put me up against the ropes big-time.

My initial strategy was to try and destroy their towers and sap points with archers, but I saw almost immediatelly that Icouldn't take both sap points out in time. At that point almost ALL my troops were on the walls. I made a split second decision to abandon the walls and retreat to the town square. By God, if he was going to take me down it would not be without a fight. There would be blood!

Anyways, I managed to get all my troops off the walls just in time with the eagles literally right on my tail. Placing this in context, I had just fought a similar battle in N Africa where 4 eagles wiped out my army in the town square, so I figured I was done. The only difference was I had an eagle of my own, a general, and a lot of firepower.

So, the first eagles hit the square and I just UNLOADED. I've never seen so many flaming arrows and javelins. Then, when they were fully engaged I launched my cavalry, and they broke en masse. Let me tell you, it was a climactic, fist-pumping moment irl.

Tertius, my general, became known as Tertius of the Eagles (although later that was changed to the Cruel because of his merciless slaughter).

The rest of the story was anti-climatic from there. Kind of like the Allies crushing Germany in '44. I did have one final battle with the Franks, which I like to call the battle for the boobies.. two little gnolls side by side which I set hedgehogs on defending catapults. The Franks came at me with two full mstacks and my reinforcemnents were delayed. It was like playing Starcraft where you have to defend your base for five minutes or whatever. They just came at me wave after wave. I wish I still had the pics of the carnage. In the end my boobie hedgehogs held firm.

The game ended with Placus Flavius' great grandson Manius capturing Londinium back from the Celts, which gave the game some completion I think.

I hope you enjoyed what I showed, and hopefully some of you can use this program for your AARs too.

Thanks.
Daxil, do not try to evade the swear filter. - SubRosa

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 12-17-2007 @ 09:07 PM).]

posted 17 December 2007 13:17 EDT (US)     21 / 27  
Tough luck losing the last part of your AAR. Both General_Zavier and I know about losing AARs.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 17 December 2007 13:54 EDT (US)     22 / 27  
I just want to share one more pic. This is from an earlier Vandal Campaign. Probably my most epic shot:

http://photoshow.comcast.net/chrisjobu

click on the main pic.

[This message has been edited by Daxil (edited 12-17-2007 @ 01:55 PM).]

posted 17 December 2007 18:01 EDT (US)     23 / 27  
I just want to say that this is an amazing campaign...for an amazing player. To hold out against so many invasions and almost always come out on top requires real skill.
posted 17 December 2007 21:17 EDT (US)     24 / 27  
Daxil, do not try to evade the swear filter. - SubRosa
And so the iron-fisted regin of SubRosa the Horsewoman begins... *winks*
Tough luck losing the last part of your AAR. Both General_Zavier and I know about losing AARs.
Tell me about it. That was one of the most disappointing things ever, coming home all psyched to play my game, only to find its gone, lost to the cruel, cold world of cyberspace.

But anyway, that last part was epic. Parts 6 and 7 sound pretty epic too, too bad about that. I'm looking forward to any future AARs you do.

posted 18 December 2007 20:17 EDT (US)     25 / 27  
Tough break losing your pictures that way. Still, it was an amazing campaign. Extremely exciting. This new format of using PhotoShow is very interesting too. I wonder if I might try it for my next AAR.
posted 19 December 2007 11:02 EDT (US)     26 / 27  
I've only completed watching the first part and it's extraordinary. Thanks for the time it took to do!
posted 19 December 2007 20:55 EDT (US)     27 / 27  
This new format of using PhotoShow is very interesting too. I wonder if I might try it for my next AAR.
Here's the link. http://www.comcast.net/photoshow/I wonder if emusic has the Gladiator soundtrack hehe.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

[This message has been edited by Daxil (edited 12-19-2007 @ 08:56 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » AAR: Barbarian Invasion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames