Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ne Plus Ultra: The Road to Russian Greatness
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 17 December 2007 18:59 EDT (US)   
Foreword: Wow, I never thought I'd be writing an AAR (HSR). After reading many over the years, it just didn't sound very fun to me; that is, until I read Saintheart's Spanish AAR (HSR). It had never occured to me to write it in such a way, and it inspired me to write one of my own. Thank you Saintheart, and I hope you don't mind me doing this. I'm not trying to steal your thunder.

I have set only one rule for myself : No cheating. Other than that, no limits. We'll just see how it plays out.

I have put it to a poll with some friends of mine, and Russia was the winner, so I will be following the Russians in this, my first AAR. I will be playing on Medium/Medium, because I'm not very good at this game. And so, without further ado, I present to you: Ne Plus Ultra!

Ne Plus Ultra

The Road to Russian Greatness

Russia in the late eleventh century was in a state of pure chaos, plagued with violence and turmoil, and lay almost completely barren and largely unclaimed by the Russian Royal Family. Indeed, only one city, the grand city of Novgorod, lay within Grand Duke Ysevolod’s - the rightful ruler of Russia - territory. And under Ysevolod’s rule Novgorod and the surrounding areas prospered and Ysevolod was able to unify much of northern Russia under his banner. The rise and subsequent fall of Grand Duke Ysevolod is perhaps the single most important event in the history of medieval Russia. Through his acts of courage and selflessness he inspired the populace, and took the first step on the road to Russian greatness.

Chapter One: The Expansionist Era Part One (1080 - 1088)

At this time Russia, indeed, all of northeastern Europe, was a very fragmented place. Small time warlords and self-proclaimed kings ruled much of North Eastern Europe and present day Russia, squabbling over the land with, for the most part, poorly trained armies consisting largely of peasant rabble. Even the greatest and most stable of nations were noted to be at an unprecedented level of strife, and few countries could claim ownership of more than a few territories. But of all of these, one nation stands out from the rest, maybe for it’s strong and competent leaders, or maybe for it’s relatively quick expansion when compared to the other powers in Europe. But I digress.

At this time in history, Russian influence did not reach far beyond the walls of the capitol, Novgorod. That is, of course, until Grand Duke Ysevolod - Leader of the Russians - seized his chance for power and began a phase of rapid expansion which would continue for the next twenty years and would instill in the Russian peoples a great pride and loyalty to Ysevolod which would cause much war and bloodshed in later years; but more on that later.

The Russian empire in the year 1080 is depicted in this drawing below. The army almost directly south of Novgorod is led by Mikhail, the youngest of Ysevolod’s two sons. The army to the east is led by Grand Duke Ysevolod himself. Prince Vladimir, not pictured here, is residing in Novgorod as Governor. Ysevolod, putting his plan into action, immediately ordered Mikhail north to Helsinki while Ysevolod marched east toward Moscow. While this was going on, Prince Vladimir began construction of a port in Novgorod, a decision which would greatly benefit the Russian treasury in years to come and sparked the creation of a navy years later. In fact, Prince Vladimir did wonders for the early Russian economy with many of his building plans and tax policies, and would be hailed as one of the greatest governors in Russian history until his departure in 1088. With his plans under way and a spring in his step, Ysevolod turned his eyes toward Moscow.

But the Council of Nobles had other ideas. After hearing of his ambitious plans, they feared that the Polish, an ambitious Catholic power to the south-west, would be able to conquer Novgorod quite easily without the support of her armies. And so they ordered Ysevolod to halt his Eastern advance and instead put the pressure on the Polish by marching south to Smolensk, where Ysevolod could then continue to Vilnius and keep a close eye on the Polish. As an incentive, they offered two thousand and five hundred gold pieces for the capture of Smolensk. Ysevolod, hard-headed but in dire need of money, altered his plans and turned his army to the south and began the long trudge to Smolensk, grumbling all the way. Ironically, and unbeknownst to Ysevolod, despite the apparent need for money, Russia was considered the richest faction in the known world; due largely to Prince Vladimir’s acumen.

While on the topic of Vladimir, it should be mentioned some of his other advances in the field of business. Under Vladimir’s orders - and close inspection - the newly trained merchant, Semyon Zhinoslav, began a lucrative amber trading business in 1184 which would later migrate to the eastern Riga region and would bring the Russian crown much gold in years to come. At the same time, Vladimir began clearing land for new farms, having completed the port and already receiving merchant ships at the docks. Sensing the vulnerability of the fledgling port and the need for naval protection abroad, Vladimir, with his father’s permission, commenced construction of the Russian Navy with a small vessel called a Lad’Ya, which would go on to win many victories against the unsuspecting local pirates.

A few years later, in the years 1085 and 1086 respectively, Helsinki and Smolensk were besieged by the father and son duo: the battle hardened but aging Ysevolod and the young but inexperienced Mikhail. Having already discussed Ysevolod’s plan, Mikhail set about building the exact siege equipment his father had recommended: two identical battering rams for breaching multiple holes in the walls and coming at the enemy from two or more sides. In 1088, Mikhail and his loyal troops assaulted Helsinki.

Mikhail split his troops into two groups, group one consisted of two units of spear militia, two units of archer militia, and himself, and would enter from the east gate. Group two was the smaller of the groups, led by his faithful Kazaks and supported by a spear militia formation. Group two would breach the south gate and assist group one if necessary, otherwise, it would push onwards and harass their archers and attempt to take the square.

At first, the plan worked wonderfully; group one was able to knock down the gates and gain ground against the defenders while the Kazaks and the archer militia peppered the enemy from afar. Group two was able to enter the fortification with little to no resistance, and the spear formation advanced on the square while the Kazaks fired into the flank of the defenders holding back group one. However, as the spear militia from group two entered the square and hacked away at the archers stationed there, the enemy infantry with drew to the square and held it well. With little cavalry support, many Russian spearmen lost their lives in the bloody stalemate that ensued. It was not until Mikhail’s archer militia was able to lure the enemy infantry from the square that the tide of the battle truly turned to the Russians. Victory was achieved, but not without a cost.

With Helsinki under Russian control and the fate of the settlement in his hands, Mikhail opted to merely occupy the settlement and was hailed as a chivalric conqueror from that point on. Now that he was in a seat of power, so to speak, in Helsinki, he ordered the Motte and Bailey to be upgraded to a wooden castle, though it would later be converted to a town in 1136 due to economic problems. Mikhail did not stop long to oversee the construction, however, as Ysevolod’s plan required him to stay on the move and conquer as much disputed territory as possible. And so Mikhail marched to the shore, where the flagship of the Russian Navy would carry him south toward Riga.

Meanwhile, Ysevolod was having similar problems at Smolensk using nearly the same plan as Mikhail, but fine tuned a little more. The result was not as expected, but not horrible; it was no Pyrrhic Victory, and the plan could still be brought to fruition, though with greatly reduced effectiveness.

The battle started out well enough, with the odds tremendously in Ysevolod’s favor. But as the battle wore on, the Russian woodsmen were singing another tune as they ran for the hills.

Ysevolod, as he had taught his son, split his forces into two groups. In this circumstance, however, the two groups were more even; each had one infantry formation (woodsmen), one foot archer formation (archer militia), and one cavalry formation. The main difference between the two groups was that group two was led by the Kazaks, while group one was led by Ysevolod and his bodyguards. The battle began much the same as the battle for Helsinki, and ended much the same, with the enemy making their last stand in the square and fighting to the last man. However, what Ysevolod failed to realize was that his woodsmen were not meant for prolonged battles and were killed at an alarming rate after the initial charge, especially when the enemy does not rout. Eventually, the battle was won, but not without severe losses to his infantry. Ysevolod did not worry much about it at the time, but the lack of infantry played a key role in the disastrous battles to follow in Ysevolod’s expansion campaign.

Smolensk was sacked immediately after the battle, and shortly after Ysevolod left with the remainder of his army, leaving the castle very poorly defended and supervised, which may have had a direct effect on the rising unrest in the surrounding area. But Ysevolod had bigger things on his mind: Vilnius.

Back at Novgorod, the beloved Prince Vladimir was given orders from his father to take some militia units and march east towards Moscow, to tie up the loose ends to Ysevolod’s ongoing plans. Grudgingly, Vladimir obeyed, and left his darling town by way of parade, to the cries of the townspeople and many wishes of good fortune. And it would not be long before that fortune was realized, as Vladimir came upon a small rebel army just east of Novgorod and destroyed it with minimal losses. Vladimir, realizing his true potential as a great general, regained any loyalty he might have lost and showed all of Russia that he really was a competent strategist, not just some fat politician with a keen eye for economics. (Authors Note: +2 Command, +1 Loyalty)

"I must not only punish, but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong. "-Edgar Allan Poe

Tsar Wars

My Russia HSR

[This message has been edited by A different city (edited 07-05-2008 @ 03:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 17 December 2007 19:52 EDT (US)     1 / 43  
Ne plus ultra: Not more beyond. Am I right?

Anyway, cool stuff. Your picture names are too long, though. Are you using FRAPS? If so, you'll have to rename your pictures for the thumbnails to show up.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 17 December 2007 20:11 EDT (US)     2 / 43  
Yes, though it can be taken many different ways, such as "The highest point" and such.

Thank you, I do use FRAPS and I was trying to figure out why they weren't showing up. I'll get right on it.

"I must not only punish, but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong. "-Edgar Allan Poe

Tsar Wars

My Russia HSR
posted 17 December 2007 21:04 EDT (US)     3 / 43  
Congratulations on the nice start, ADC: it looks really nice and I'll be looking forward to updates. I've never played the Eastern European factions, so we shall watch your career with great interest.

"Come now, little girl, if we monsters truly wanted to hurt you, would we be waiting here, in the very deepest, darkest part of the forest?"
Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
posted 17 December 2007 21:13 EDT (US)     4 / 43  
This looks really cool. I have M2TW, but my computer is too slow to run it except on like the lowest settings, so I don't really play it at all.

Russia, eh? Looks like fun. I also like how this AAR reads. It really flows really well, like its a historical account of the Russian conquests.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
posted 18 December 2007 11:22 EDT (US)     5 / 43  
Hah, Russia! I don't get very far with these guys- prefer the landgrab that is Poland. But use your missiles well, as I'm sure you know!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 18 December 2007 20:44 EDT (US)     6 / 43  
Looks very good. Tell me, does Russia have to worry about the Pope like most of the other M2 factions seem to? Or does being Eastern Orthodox alleviate them of that?
posted 18 December 2007 23:48 EDT (US)     7 / 43  
Saintheart - Thank you. This is my first go at an Eastern European faction as well. I hope it goes as well as I hope it will.

General_Zavier - Thanks, that's what I was aiming for. But you can thank Saintheart for the inspiration.

EnemyofJupitor - I'm sorry to hear that, Russia really is quite a blast. And don't worry, you'll all be seeing plenty of missile action.

SubRosa - No, luckily, Russia doesn't have to deal with the Papacy. Well, unless you count the occasional crusade. Actually, this is my first game as anything other than a Catholic faction, and I'm liking the freedom.

I'm hoping to update tomorrow, so don't touch that dial!

Tsar Wars

My Russia HSR
posted 18 December 2007 23:51 EDT (US)     8 / 43  
The addition of this response will assist with that. (See: prohibition vs. double posts in this forum. )

"Come now, little girl, if we monsters truly wanted to hurt you, would we be waiting here, in the very deepest, darkest part of the forest?"
posted 19 December 2007 13:23 EDT (US)     9 / 43  
Excellent start. Having just completed a Polish game on H/H a couple weeks back, I have a great love for the eastern factions.
posted 19 December 2007 18:30 EDT (US)     10 / 43  
It is ok to double post if you have a valid reason for doing so. If your first post was very large and you do not want to double it in size for starters (which can happen easily in an AAR). If it has been a long time since your first post. Etc...

We just do not want people spamming the forum is all.
posted 20 December 2007 00:04 EDT (US)     11 / 43  
Chapter One: The Expansionist Era Part Two (1088 - 1100)

In the last section, we discussed the beginning of the Expansionist Era and the capture of Helsinki and Smolensk, as well as the economical and military achievements of the nation's leaders. Today we will discuss the climax and abrupt end of the Expansionist Era.

When we left off, Mikhail had taken his army, now almost on par with his father’s army, south from Helsinki and was making his way toward Riga, a town which held great economic and expansional potential for the Russians. Grand Duke Ysevolod, hero of the Russian people (for the most part) was leading his battered army west toward Vilnius, reinforced by newly trained Boyar Sons. With these reinforcements, Ysevolod believed his army was well strong enough to continue, and did so at the fastest rate he could, leaving his infantry straggling behind as his cavalry pushed forwards. He believed that the Polish would attempt to take the castle, and he would not allow it, though it was later discovered that the Polish had made no effort to do so. Prince Vladimir continued his long march to Moscow, leaving Novgorod without a governor. As a result, the city was not pulling in quite as much money as it previously had, though it did not seem to matter. Russia was once again hailed as the richest of all the nations as it surpassed Hungary, the former bearer of the title.

In the year 1094, Ysevolod’s scouts sent word of an abnormally large garrison in Vilnius - occupied by the Livonian Rebels - and advised him to await further reinforcements. Ysevolod considered this, but opted instead to starve them out, an idea which many others considered to be a cowardly decision, but the circumstances were understandable, and they kept any doubts to themselves. Grand Duke Ysevolod, fearing a sally, hired a band of mercenary spearmen to make up for his lack of infantry, having left his surviving woodsmen a Smolensk. Not long afterwards, Ysevolod began the long siege of Vilnius. Meanwhile, in Riga, Mikhail’s troops were preparing for battle. Having hired a few mercenaries, Mikhail pushed forwards.

The battle began as Mikhail’s archers pelted the enemy from the side streets, taking few casualties in the return fire. Encouraged by his initial success, Mikhail ordered his infantry forwards. However, due to miscommunication, the Spear militia charged the enemy too soon and found itself taking heavy casualties. Panicking, Mikhail ordered an immediate charge. While his own bodyguards did well enough in the melee that ensued, the Spearmen did not, and routed. Without their support, Mikhail’s other troops began to waver. Seeking a quick victory, Mikhail ordered the missile units to toss down their bows and join the fray. It was a desperate and hasty order, but it got the job done. In the end, the body count was not as bad as expected, but the wear and tear on his army was beginning to show.

However, there was little rest for Mikhail. Directly after the occupation, his father had ordered him further west to secure the new border with Poland. Mikhail obeyed, dragging his tired men along with him after a short rest in Riga. In the next few years, Mikhail would build a system of watchtowers along the boundaries of the Russian territories, ever fearful of a Polish invasion. And rightly so; a Russian princess had recently opened negotiations with the Polish in hopes of a trade agreement, maps, and possibly even an alliance. Ysevolod and his Council of Nobles agreed that establishing good relations with the neighboring countries was essential to the wealth and prosperity of the Russian populace; at least, until Russia was ready to declare war. However, the negotiations took a sour turn, and Poland only agreed to a trade agreement under great duress. The Russians and Polish could agree on nothing else, and both parties left insulted at the other’s behavior. The relations between the Russians and the Polish never truly recovered. What followed was a cold war of sorts which would continue over the next six years until the end of the Expansionist Era.

In the east, Prince Vladimir, having just erected a watchtower in the seldom seen area of Novgorod, lay siege to Moscow and prepared the rams for the upcoming assault. Prince Vladimir’s forces were modest, and very undermanned, but capable nonetheless. Consisting mostly of militia from Novgorod. Though his forces outnumbered the enemy by only sixty men, Vladimir did not feel the need to hire any mercenaries, nor would he have been permitted them if he made the request.

Much to Vladimir’s dismay, Russia was experiencing yet another economic drought, and construction plans nation wide were brought to a halt; due in no small part to Vladimir’s absence from the capitol. That’s not to say that Russia was without money, however. The Russian coffers were still filled with gold enough to see them through an emergency. However, the expansion had taken its toll on the Russian Treasury, and the government found that they currently had only half as much gold as they recently had. While they still held a good lump of gold, they began spending much more conservatively. Many factors contributed to this policy change, chief among them were the Polish threat, the rising unrest in the areas close to Novgorod, and the enormity of the land left to conquer, according to Ysevolod. They feared that if they continued as they did, they would soon run completely out of money and be unable to pay upkeep for the armies defending the homeland, nor pay for a new army to be raised, should the need arise. This recent change in policy seems uncharacteristic of Ysevolod and his aggressive mindset, and many historians have fathomed his reasoning. It is in this author’s opinion that he was unsure about his ability to continue with his plan, and that he was hoping to settle down for a while to recuperate and consolidate his forces before moving onwards.

The next year, in December of 1099, Prince Vladimir was ready to begin the assault of Moscow. With his spear militia manning the rams and his archers ready to open fire, he gave the order.

What followed was a short and decisive battle, and one of the most successful assaults in early Russian history, losing less than fifty men in the battle and eliminating the enemy completely. Eager for money, Vladimir sacked the settlement and settled in to recruit more soldiers for the conquests to come. Pleased with his victory, Vladimir immediately began a building program, ignoring the new spending policy, which he considered absurd. In Vladimir’s mind, it was more important for the fledgling province to have necessities such as roads, garrison quarters for the town guard, and markets.

Starving to death and with no other choices, in the Spring of the year 1100, the forces in the wooden castle of Vilnius sallied against the Grand Duke Ysevolod’s army. Ysevolod, far from reinforcements and having come so close to victory, had no choice but to stand and fight. The battle that ensued would change the course of Russian history forever.

Ysevolod deployed in a defensive stance, with the mercenary spearmen spread very thin to meet the three formations of woodsmen. The archer militia were stationed directly behind the spearmen. The Kazaks formed up on the left flank, and Ysevolod and his Boyar Sons on the right. Ysevolod’s only hope was if the spearmen could hold long enough for Ysevolod to fight through the opposing cavalry and flank their infantry. Meanwhile, the Kazaks and archers would try to keep the enemy archers busy until Ysevolod and the Boyar Sons were through with the infantry. It was a risky plan, and depended too much upon the cavalry, but it was all they had.

As the battle started, the esteemed Captain Janus, leader of the Livonian forces, led his cavalry straight towards Ysevolod, not giving his Boyar Sons a chance to throw their javelins before being thrust into melee. Janus then ordered his woodsmen to charge the Russian spearmen before they could even form up properly. While this was only a small advantage, it allowed the Russian spear line to hold momentarily. Before long, Janus was forced to withdraw his cavalry or face complete annihilation at the hands of Ysevolod, and withdraw he did. Ysevolod had no time to celebrate, however, as the spearmen were wavering and threatened to break. Ysevolod charged his cavalry into the flank of the Livonian woodsmen, causing a rout of most of the enemy infantry. It did not take long for the rest of them to run for the safety of the gates, where they reformed and prepared for another attack. Allowing himself no rest, Ysevolod’s remaining bodyguards and Boyar Sons chased down the Livonian archers, allowing only a few of them to escape. But now Ysevolod faced a threat renewed: The Livonian cavalry were coming back for another round, with their infantry close behind. Fearing that the mercenaries would break if attacked again, he ordered a charge. The Livonian cavalry were quickly engulfed and routed, but not before the woodsmen entered the fray. Ysevolod, busy chasing the fleeing cavalry, was struck from behind by a Livonian woodsman and died. The Livonians fled soon after, and the battle was won. But the cost was far greater than could be imagined.

Ysevolod’s death dealt a stunning blow to the empire, and unrest in the land increased threefold. There was much disagreement over who would be the next Grand Duke in the provinces, both among the peasants and the nobles, which would continue for many years. The populations of Helsinki and Riga thought Mikhail should ascend the throne, for he had captured more cities and had proven his skills more times on the field of battle than his brother Vladimir, still widely regarded as a governor and not much else. Also, Mikhail was a very chivalric man known for his kindness on and off the battlefield. They argued that these traits better suited the Russian vision of the future. However, the citizens of Novgorod claimed that Vladimir was the rightful heir, being the oldest son. The also argued that Vladimir was much better at handling the economy, which was the only thing keeping the empire afloat. The citizens of Smolensk and Vilnius had different views entirely. They had been treated very poorly by Ysevolod and held a deep resentment for his bloodline. Their candidate for Grand Duke was an obscure one: Vasilii Malov, a very promising young man adopted into the Russian ruling family a few months after the Battle of Vilnius. But the identity of Ysevolod’s successor was never really in doubt, and before long Vladimir rose to the throne as Grand Duke Vladimir, despite many protests.

And thus the Expansionist Era came to a close.

Tsar Wars

My Russia HSR

[This message has been edited by A different city (edited 07-05-2008 @ 03:38 PM).]

posted 20 December 2007 00:50 EDT (US)     12 / 43  
Great post, ADC.

Too bad about Ysevolod.
Maybe we could see some record of the Russian royal family tree at this point?

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 20 December 2007 13:48 EDT (US)     13 / 43  
I have a question- do you play the game beforehand, and are thus ahead of what you post here, or play, wait a bit for comments before playing?

Awesome stuff again, though- as fun to read as Saintheart's one. I think I'm going to have to coin a term for this type of AAR- Historic-story reports, or HSR, perhaps?

posted 20 December 2007 16:39 EDT (US)     14 / 43  
Great AAR so far, one query, why do you have your cities on auto-manage? I don't know if you realise this, but you tend to make more money when you are governing your settlements instead of the computer. And you can recruit whatever units you want, not what the computer wants.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
posted 20 December 2007 20:11 EDT (US)     15 / 43  
I had a stray thought (as I often do) ... the one drawback to HSRs is that you can only write from predominantly the point of view of your faction (albeit understandably, since history tends to be "written by the victors" anyway).

I understand it's theoretically possible to play M2TW by e-mail by a somewhat cumbersome method of passing the swap files around ... has anyone ever considered writing an AAR (as distinct from a HSR; I'll get to that in a second) of one of these swap file games from the perspective of both parties?

And if so, wouldn't it be grand to have a couple of talented HSR writers collaborate on an "alternate history" of Europe in this manner ... culminating in the inevitable head-on clash of players as they battle one another for supremacy?

Ambitious, yes...but possible?

posted 20 December 2007 20:37 EDT (US)     16 / 43  
Very good stuff different city. Between this and Sainthearts HSR I am thinking of giving M2TW a try.
posted 21 December 2007 06:21 EDT (US)     17 / 43  
one query, why do you have your cities on auto-manage?
Bloody hell, he does, too. If you've got that due to not having a governer there, his Esc, then Game options, before ticking the 'Manage All Settlements' box. If you need any help in managing the settlements... well, that's what this forum's for!
Ambitious, yes...but possible?
You're talking about Hotseat, where the players are on different factions, then?
The main drawback of that is that a) you need the retrofit mod for playing the Vanilla campaign, AFAIK, (Although it is mod-switch), and b) attacking another player is auto-resolved. There is an option to play non-both-player-factions-battles normally, but once two players collide...

There is one (crude) way to get around that- to play a multi battle each time that occours. We replicate the armies involved in the lobby and play. The battle is decided, and whoever's turn it was hits the ' button and enters the cheat to make the winning side of that battle win. This is, however, very crude as the casulties won't be the same, and if there are reinforcements... Well, another person will have to play them. If this is just a mere formaility, eg, a full stack attacking a castle lightly defended by peasants, then the defending player can give the attacker his blessing to hit auto-resolve.

To minimalise it as much as possible, the players should perhaps pick factions at different points of the map- eg, one in Russia/Poland area, on in Italy, etc.

It could work, but it wouldn't be perfect, nor run too smoothly.
Very good stuff different city. Between this and Sainthearts HSR I am thinking of giving M2TW a try
Oh, dear God, yes. I'd love to show you the power of my cavalry militia online

posted 21 December 2007 15:14 EDT (US)     18 / 43  
posted 21 December 2007 16:11 EDT (US)     19 / 43  
Why? What's so wrong about talking about my full-blooded charge with lances down?

Yes, enough of that.

posted 22 December 2007 23:04 EDT (US)     20 / 43  
CaesarVincens: Yes, I'd grown fond of the old coot. But he was almost sixty anyways, and I preferred it that he died in battle, like a ture warrior should. Makes for a better story, too. You can ceratainly see the family tree. There wasn't much to show until this point, only Ysevolod and his sons until aroundturn twelve, or the year 1100. But it's grown by leaps and bounds since then. I went ahead and labeled them in paint.

EnemyofJupitor: I generally like to keep a few turns ahead of my writing, if only for the sake of foreshadowing. But at this point I'm just about caught up. With this being the holidays, I don't see an abundance of free time ahead of me, either. HSR? I like it. I think it'll stick.

General_Zavier: Hmm? I've always played like this, since my RTW days. I had no idea you could manage a settlement without a governor. But don't worry, I've never let the computer decide what to build and recruit for me. I may be stupid, but not that stupid. I'd be swamped with crappy units if I let the computer build my armies!

Saintheart: I'd never thought of it like that. That's a very good idea, but as of now I don't own Kingdoms, so you'll have to count me out if you were thinking of hotseat play. Though I'd be very interested in doing something like that one day, if I can get my hands on the expansion pack. Also, the cumbersome method of play would bring the campaign to a crawl, which may mean long periods of time between updates.

Subrosa: You should at least give it a try, I think you'd like it.

Enemy of Jupitor: Thank you, I'd never have known you could turn that off; it's just the way it's always been for me. If I need any help, I'll be sure to ask.

Subrosa and EnemyofJupitor: Get a room.

-----

Chapter Two: The Great Rebellion of 1102 (1102 - 1108)

The period of time directly following Ysevolod’s death was marked by unrest and general dissention among the populace. It marks the end of the quick expansion and the beginning of a more substantial and formidable Russia, though not quite as determined as it once was. This expansion lull was seen as a necessary break for the Russian military, though it is marked by battles of equal or greater ferocity as the last era. The Russian forces had been, in many respects, spread too thin, and the Great Rebellion of 1102 was just the thing Vladimir needed to pull his troops back together in order to consolidate his forces in preparation for the continuation of Ysevolod's expansion plan. During this time period there were also many new entries into the Russian Royal Family, including Sbyslav Monomakh and Grechin of Pupki. The Great Rebellion, or as it is sometimes called, the Russian Civil War of 1102, presented the Russian leaders with the opportunity to refine their battle strategies, and gave many small-time commanders a chance to be noticed. I feel it should be said that The Great Rebellion was not really ever about the contestation over the throne, but that was simply the last straw. Much like the American Civil War. It was not really about slaves; it was a combination of things, and the slavery issue was just too much for them. And just as the revolutionaries in the Revolutionary War called out “No taxation without representation!” without really wanting representation, likewise, the rebels never truly wanted their candidate for the throne to rule, for then they would have no reason to fight and gain support for their cause, and their situation would not have changed very much anyways.

That being said, the situation in 1102 was a precarious one, but not quite dangerous enough for the royalty to fret about it. Until, that is, the discovery of a very large rebel army in eastern Helsinki, on the road north of Novgorod.

As soon as the news of the rebellion reached Vladimir, it was declared a state of emergency. Vladimir himself immediately left Moscow with the majority of his army, a spear militia and archer militia formation, leaving the newly adopted Vasilii Malov in charge of Moscow under the orders to train more troops for the conquests to come. Vladimir urged his younger brother (Prince) Mikhail to withdraw from the Polish border and move back toward Novgorod to help fight the Rebels, Mikhail agreed, and set off at once. Vladimir was relieved, for he knew his brother was far superior to him on the battlefield, and his promise to help would surely strike fear into the rebels. Not only that, but it is believed that Vladimir asked for Mikhail’s assistance to ensure his loyalty to Vladimir’s cause. It was widely known the Mikhail was jealous of his older brother, and the idea that Mikhail had incited the rebellion for his own gain was not out of the question. Also, if these rebels truly did fight to put Mikhail on the throne, it was unlikely that they would raise arms against him, and the fact that Mikhail followed Vladimir’s orders to attack would surely send a message to the rebels that their cause was pointless. The rebels shook this off, however, and continued their war with renewed vigor.

Originally, Vladimir’s plan had been to engage the rebels in eastern Novgorod as Mikhail was making his way toward western Novgorod to take on the rebels plaguing that area. Then the two armies would merge to fight the rebels in Helsinki. But this plan left out one thing: Smolensk; and it did not go unnoticed. Captain Grechin of the Smolensk garrison sent messages to the Grand Duke requesting reinforcements. When they did not come, Captain Grechin took matters into his own hands. On January ninth, 1103, Grechin gathered his men and set out to handle matters himself for the safety of Smolensk. And thus began the first battle of the rebellion.

As the battle began, Captain Grechin, leading the Kazaks, cut around the right flank of the enemy woodsmen and began showering them with arrow fire as the Druzhina, the new heavy cavalry trained in Smolensk, crept around the left flank to run down the rebel archers. They routed in seconds, and the Kazaks finished mopping them up as the Druzhina raced to the fight already in progress between the Russian and rebel infantry. The rebels fled en masse shortly afterward, and none of them escaped the battlefield with their lives. The battle was won, and the rebels were utterly defeated.

Grechin was hailed as a hero in Smolensk, attracting the attention of Prince Mikhail. Mikhail, impressed by Grechin’s bravery and skill, offered to adopt Grechin into the royal family as his son, for he had none of his own. Captain Grechin accepted, and became Grechin of Pupki, and was put in charge of a small army and ordered to march south and east to capture Ryazan and Kiev before the Polish or Byzantines could. Grechin hated to leave Smolensk so poorly defended, but he dared not disobey a direct order so soon after his adoption, so march he did.

At around this time, the Russian princess Antonina entered negotiations with the Holy Roman Empire in hopes of securing trade rights, maps, and possibly an alliance. The results far surpassed her expectations; the Holy Roman Empire gladly accepted the offers of trade, and willingly bought the Russian maps. When Antonina offered an alliance, it was proposed that the princess marry Prince Henry, the heir to the Holy Roman throne, to strengthen the alliance and ensure its longevity. Antonina accepted, and they were wed. The Russians were thrilled to have an ally in central Europe, especially one as strong as the Holy Roman Empire, and the Holy Roman Empire surely appreciated the mutual gain. In a gesture of good will, Vladimir sent a small sum of money to the Holy Roman Empire as a gift, which was gladly accepted.

Back in Russia, Grand Duke Vladimir was confronting the rebel forces in eastern Novgorod, a place seldom visited by the Russian military, and a very likely place for rebels to hide out. It brought them no advantage, however, as they were set upon by Vladimir and his small band of militia. Vladimir attempted to surprise the rebels by attacking at night, but they were expecting trickery and were prepared when he arrived.

When the battle started Vladimir was horrified to find that the enemy had claimed the only high ground available, and was forced to fight most of the battle uphill. But his loyal troops were undeterred and fought valiantly. The short fight was a simple and straightforward one; archers lure out archers, cavalry kills archers, infantry holds infantry, cavalry kills infantry. It was a sound victory, and few of the enemy lived to tell of it.

It is during this time that the first hint of Vladimir’s possible resentment of Mikhail is shown. Shortly after the battle was won, when a messenger arrived with news of Mikhail’s addition to the family, Grechin of Pupki, Vladimir, possibly in answer to his brother’s adoption, adopted a distinguished noble from Novgorod, Sbyslav Monomakh, into royalty as his son, and sent him to assist Mikhail alone in his place while he returned to Moscow, leaving Mikhail to fight the rebels virtually on his own. This alone did not necessarily indicate any bad blood between the brothers, but it certainly sent that message to Mikhail, who felt he was being cheated and suspected Sbyslav to be a mere spy for Vladimir. To this day, Vladimir’s intentions are unclear, though most historians will agree that Sbyslav was not spying on Mikhail.

Mikhail, after having bolstered his army with reinforcements from Helsinki and the newly inducted Sbyslav, readied his men for the upcoming battle with the western Novgorod brigands. In May of the year 1106, Mikhail, under the cover of darkness, launched an attack against the unsuspecting rebels.

Mikhail deployed his troops in his usual fashion, but with his missile cavalry perched farther out on the flanks than usual. Mikhail thought this would help them to encircle the enemy better, which proved to be correct. It also had the benefit of drawing out many of the rebel archers from the relative safety of their line, where Mikhail and Sbyslav rode them down and quickly routed a substantial portion of the rebel archers. As this was happening, the Boyar sons did an excellent job of distracting the enemy cavalry, leaving their infantry alone and largely undefended. It would not be long before the Russian infantry reached them, at which point Mikhail and Sbyslav smashed into their unprotected flanks. In seconds, the rebel infantry fled. While the Kazaks kept the remaining rebel archers busy using the “circle-and-shoot” technique, which guaranteed them minimal casualties. Mikhail and Sbyslav then converged on the rebel Boyar Sons, defeating them easily. After that, it was just a matter of catching and slaughtering what little of the rebel army could still run. No rebels escaped alive, and the body count revealed only twenty five dead Russians. Content, Mikhail led his men north to confront the last, and largest, of the rebel forces, ironically led by Captain Mikhail (no relation).

It was August of 1107 when Prince Mikhail finally confronted Captain Mikhail and his band of brigands. Mikhail decided once again to attack at night, disregarding his advisors. He felt more accustomed to the dark now, and was much more comfortable fighting at night. He came to regret that decision later, since he discovered that his archers were less effective at night. But as is the way of life: You learn from your mistakes, or you die from them.

Mikhail organized his troops into much the same formation as the last battle, with his infantry and heavy cavalry in the center, and his missile cavalry far out on the sides. The Kazaks immediately spotted high ground behind the rebel line, and made their way to it as the Boyar Sons did the same on the other side of the battlefield. As the Kazaks pelted the backs of their foes, the Boyar Sons once again proved their worth by luring the rebel cavalry and infantry out, leaving their archers completely vulnerable. Seizing the opportunity, Mikhail, supported by Sbyslav, quickly routed the enemy archers. Realizing their folly, the rebel infantrymen turned back to engage Mikhail and his young lackey, but were instead greeted with a javelin shower in the back by the courageous Boyar Sons. Captain Mikhail, by now almost completely devoid of bodyguards thanks to the Kazaks and their deadly rain, was enraged, and charged the Boyar Sons. The Boyars counter charged, and enveloped them, routing them quickly. Captain Mikhail fled the battle with a handful of horsemen, and was never heard of again. Prince Mikhail, after driving off the last of the archers, turned his attention to the infantry. He ordered his own meager infantry to charge, but the majority of the rebels turned tail and fled before impact. The battle ended shortly thereafter, and the last of the rebels were defeated.

Prince Mikhail and Sbyslav wound their way back south to Novgorod to refit and recruit new soldiers to replace fallen heroes. Sbyslav, not quite cut out for military life, happily took up governorship of Novgorod and bid his farewells to Mikhail. Prince Mikhail was eager to leave, for he had heard of a new type of horsemen being recruited in Smolensk, and wished to claim a few to bolster his army.

Though the Great Rebellion was technically already over, word of the success did not reach Grand Duke Vladimir until 1108, at which point the declared it officially over. Now that the homeland was secured and the Russian armies strengthened, Vladimir wished to expand his borders, driven in part by his father’s ambition. And so Vladimir took to the road once again, and ordered Grechin of Pupki, to do the same. Though the Great Rebellion was behind them, still more trying times were ahead for the Russians peoples.

Tsar Wars

My Russia HSR

[This message has been edited by A different city (edited 07-05-2008 @ 03:51 PM).]

posted 23 December 2007 05:04 EDT (US)     21 / 43  
Nice one- rebels are one thing that stunt a Russia player's growth. Good to see you've gotten rid of this lot
Subrosa and EnemyofJupitor: Get a room.
Damned-near sigworthy

posted 23 December 2007 13:25 EDT (US)     22 / 43  
Hmmm, indeed. I do not think I have much room left in my sig though. Besides, Imperial Justice and Andariel are using the room now...
posted 27 December 2007 21:32 EDT (US)     23 / 43  
Chapter Three: The Intermediary Era (1108 - 1134)

Few historians, if any, care to touch too heavily upon this period in Russian history, and understandably so. This long expanse of time is often referred to as Russia’s dark age in the historic text Spanish Imperium, and the book Norman Crusader Kingdoms goes so far as to call it the “decline of the Russian Empire”. But in my eyes, the Intermediary Era, as I like to call it, is little more than a period of transition between two very important stretches of time for the Russians which has few favorable distinguishing features. It is a time of building tension and suspicion between Russia and her neighbors, and a period of slow southern expansion, led chiefly by the young Grechin of Pupki and Grand Duke Vladimir, who, at around this time, is just starting to fall ever so slightly out of favor with the local populations; especially that of Moscow and Smolensk, where small peasant uprisings would occur over the next few years. It is during this era that the stunning reality hits the Russian peoples and their leaders: The economy was dieing, again. It was not until the year 1134 that the economy was able to get back on track with the help of Prince Mikhail. However, the same cannot be said for the Russian standing amongst the central European nations. By the efforts of a traveling Russian diplomat, new trade lines, maps, and even alliances were gained with such nations as England, France, portugal, and Denmark. This is perhaps the only good news to come from this era, for the reports of Vladimir’s slow advance southward was sour indeed. Though, there is perhaps one exception. The military in central and northern Russia is seen to have grown dramatically since the Expansionist era.

During the Expansionist Era, the Russian Military was split into three main groups: The Northern Army, led by Mikhail, the Eastern Army, led by Vladimir, and the Southern Army, led by Ysevolod. After the Death of Ysevolod in 1100, the majority of the Southern Army - what remained of it, that is - either disbanded or remained in Vilnius to await a new commander, never to come. Those who chose to stay in Vilnius were later amalgamated into Mikhail’s Northern Army at the start of The Great Rebellion. For all intents and purposes, the Southern Army was no more. Directly after the defeat of Captain Mikhail in Helsinki in the year 1107, Mikhail led the Northern Army, battered and bruised, south toward Novgorod and Smolensk to retrain and refit. During this time, many bands of soldiers joined with Mikhail from all across the country, mainly Novgorod, Smolensk, and Vilnius, to form the largest fighting force ever seen in Russia. Seeing the might of his army, Mikhail decided a new name was in order. Prince Mikhail dubbed his army “The Great Legion” and turned his ever watchful eyes to new horizons.

But I am getting ahead of myself. The Intermediary Era began immediately after the Great Rebellion of 1102 was declared officially over in 1108, and continues until winter of 1134. The lapse of activity which perhaps best defines the Intermediary Era was a direct result of the occurrences of The Great Rebellion and the Expansionist Era before that. In this era we get a chance to examine more of Vladimir’s and Mikhail’s true character through the events and decisions which shape their Empire.

Perhaps an analogy would help to better explain the Russian plight. Picture the Russian Empire as a house on stilts. As long as the ground, or the populace, and the stilts, or the economy, are strong enough to support the house, it can continue to grow, adding more furniture and rooms as it sees fit. But if the stilts rot and crumble, the house collapses, or at the very least ceases to grow. Likewise, if the ground is not sturdy enough to hold up the house and the stilts, both collapse. The Intermediary Era was a time when the stilts were groaning and creaking, and the ground had not completely recovered from the Great Rebellion, and was starting to give way again. Despite all of this, Vladimir still saw fit to expand the house,probably in an effort to live up to expectations, or in order to avoid disgracing his father's name. And as a result, the Russian Empire was in a state of instability for most, if not all, of the Intermediary Era.

The earliest notable event of this era is the marriage of Prince Mikhail to a rich noblewoman from Helsinki by the name of Lanka Kuz‘mich. The ceremony took place in the spring of 1109, and by the year 1111 they had their first child, a girl whom they named Ekaterina. Meanwhile, in Moscow, Grand Duke Vladimir, eager to finish what his father had started, left Moscow towards the small independent castle of Ryazan taking the majority of Moscow’s garrison with him, namely two formations of spear militia, badly weakened from the rebel fighting and the battle for Moscow itself, and two groups of archer militia which had also seen better days. Also traveling with Vladimir was a merchant, Sviatopolk of Liubech, who had received his training in Moscow and was setting off to seek his fortune. He continued to travel with Vladimir and his makeshift army for a year or two before splitting off to find his own way.

The next year, 1114, Sbyslav Monomakh, new governor of Novgorod, was wed to Patrova Sbyslavov. And yes, that was her real name. We can only be thankful, for the historians sake, that Sbyslav had not taken her name and become Sbyslav Sbyslavov. Thankfully, that was not the way of things, and Patrova took the name of Monomakh. Further south, as Mikhail wound his army toward Smolensk, groups of fighting men, young and old, traveled from across the empire to join Mikhail in his march, and the Northern Army continued to grow in size, doubling in only a matter of years.

In 1115, Vasilii Malov, governor and protector of Moscow, married the beautiful Lanka of Belgorod. Unfortunately for Vasilii, however, the honeymoon was spoiled by reports of a small rebel uprising just north of town, and he and his only remaining militia, one group of archers, immediately rode out to dispatch of them. Vasilii won the scuffle that ensued, but was greeted with disaster upon his return. Completely devoid of any type of garrison, Moscow was rioting, and a number of peasants had already been killed. Once he and his men returned, however, things quieted down and Vasilii was finally able to see his new wife.

Elsewhere, in Denmark, the Russian diplomat had finally reached a court suitable for open negotiations. In the discussion that followed, the Danish not only agreed to open trade with the Russians, but they also shared maps and offered an alliance. Not only that, but the Russian diplomat present made a great discovery, which would have it’s impact in due time: Stockholm, not to mention much of present day Sweden, was held by rebel forces, surprisingly unclaimed by the Danes. Realizing this opportunity, Prince Mikhail pushed for an invasion, though it did not gain any support until 1122, when Captain Maksim was put in charge of a small all-cavalry force and shipped to the Swedish coast. Maksim and his men were originally meant to be a scouting party, but when it became obvious that another army would not come to aid them, Maksim took matters into his own hands, besieging the wall-less town twelve years later, in 1134. But I digress, I am getting ahead of myself again.

In the year 1116, a terrible tragedy struck Vilnius: Plague. Although the historical reports vary widely, it is believed that the plague lasted for approximately ten years, and caused the deaths of nearly a quarter of the population. Luckily for the Russians, the plague was contained and never spread any further into Russian lands, although the effects of the plague on neighboring factions are unknown. Strangely enough, Grand Duke Vladimir lay the cause to a Polish spy, not an unfounded accusation, with Vilnius being so close to Polish lands, but there is no evidence to prove any such thing.

But the Grand Duke had his own problems; he had by now reached the castle of Ryazan, only to find that the forces currently holding it far surpassed his own in both numbers and skill. Vladimir knew that the entire empire was watching him and waiting for news of his success, and he could not risk failure. So, using most of the gold left in the treasury, Vladimir hired some roaming mercenary Cuman Horse Archers to strengthen his forces before laying siege. Grechin of Pupki, some distance to the southwest, had no such worries. His scouts brought him reports of an inferior garrison at Kiev, and he was sure that he would succeed even if Vladimir failed. Grechin besieged Kiev the next year, 1117, and immediately set his men about building rams and ladders. This was a precautionary measure only, as he was ordered by the Grand Duke himself to starve out the inhabitants. But Grechin wanted to be sure that he was ready to attack should the circumstances change. Three years later, in 1120, Grechin met the love of his life and married her on the spot amidst the death and despair of the siege.

Nearby, the Russian merchant Sviatopolk of Liubech found his calling: Slave trading. While this is certainly not the most upright way of making a fortune, it is surely one of the quickest. In a matter of years Sviatopolk had surpassed the great amber merchant Semyon Zhinoslav and his many underlings in terms of income, and was one of the main factors keeping the Russian economy afloat, and his fame, expertise, and infamy would only continue to grow in the years to come with his monopoly of the slave trade in and around Kiev.

It also should be mentioned that at this point Russian borders spanned a far greater range of land than any other country at the time, earning it the much deserved title of “Largest Faction”, as well as the distrust of many of her neighbors.

Ryazan, having been starved for many turns, finally fell to the Russian invaders in 1124 after a short and conclusive battle just outside the main gates. Grand Duke Vladimir lost nearly fifty men in that battle, and found himself more than capable of continuing in his conquests, especially when his son, Miroslav, joined with him when he came of age in the year 1128. With the help of Miroslav, Vladimir was able to securely garrison Ryazan and still have a considerable force under his command. However, it soon became obvious that this task would not be an easy one. Vladimir had no maps of the area, and there were no roads leading directly to Bulgar, Vladimir’s next stop, and his lack of information caused a severe delay, as his scouts did not stumble onto Volga-Bulgar until late in 1136, after eight years of aimless wandering. But this did not seem to deter Vladimir; he considered time to be only a minor obstacle, and pledged to his men that he would never again march into strange lands without having accurate information beforehand. This seemed an empty promise, however, as there were no spies anywhere in the area, and the nearest training facility was in Novgorod.

But not all the news coming from the south was bad; In 1130 Grechin and his men captured Kiev, taking few losses in the process, and Grechin was soon able to march southward to Iasi, which, if captured, would give the Russians another powerful neighbor at their borders: Hungary. It should also be brought to the reader’s attention that the Byzantines - still a strong nation, though a shadow of it’s former self - had holdings just south of Iasi. If Grechin managed to annex Iasi, and it came to war with Russia’s neighbors to the south, Grechin would be the one to lead the war effort, and would undoubtedly be instrumental in Russia’s success. But at this time, it was in Russia’s best interests to maintain peace with the Hungarians and the Byzantines, at least until a proper war force was assembled. Grechin’s forces, though strong enough to secure Iasi, were not considered strong enough by Vladimir to inflict serious damage upon such wide-spread and stable nations as Hungary and the Byzantines. And so Grechin was given orders to capture and secure Iasi and the surrounding area, but to avoid conflict with other nations at all cost until he could raise an army capable of victory.

Back in Novgorod, Ivan, youngest son of Vladimir, had come of age and was considered to be a capable fighting man by his father and Sbyslav, his mentor, alike. And as such, Ivan was put in charge of a large, all-cavalry army capable of traversing vast amounts of land in a shorter time, something which Vladimir and Mikhail thought instrumental to the Russian military. To test out the usefulness, Ivan attacked a formidable rebel army causing trouble south of Riga, and destroyed them. Satisfied, Ivan continued along the road, stopping just short of the Polish border to await further orders. Mikhail, with his Great Legion in tow, did the same at the southern Polish border just to the east of Halych.

Before I go any further on this matter, let me take a moment to explain the tension
between the Russians and the Polish. Ever since negotiations with the Polish took a rather sour turn in 1094, the distrust between the two nations grew exponentially. Though trade continued between them, so too did more clandestine affairs. Over the next several years, both countries sent spies into the others land to keep an eye on them, though not much became of this until 1130, when a Russian spy was killed during a mission in Halych. While this did not provoke immediate action from the Polish, it had a lasting effect on Vladimir. He knew that the Polish knew the identity of the spy, and it would not be long before the Polish reacted, possibly with an invasion. In Vladimir’s mind, perhaps this fear escalated to the point where he was convinced the Poles were planning an all out war, and instead of waiting for it to happen, he ordered his troops on standby for invasion, something which worried the Polish considerably. But it was not until one of Vladimir’s spies spotted a Polish army south of Halych that Vladimir was prompted to attack.

In the winter of 1134, Mikhail, leading The Great Legion, attacked a small Polish border watch northeast of Halych. Realizing the futility, the Polish commander pulled back in an attempt to make it to the safety of Halych’s walls, but Mikhail caught them before they could, prompting Prince Zbigniew, governor of Halych, into the battle. And thus, the First Polish War began.

Tsar Wars

My Russia HSR

[This message has been edited by A different city (edited 07-05-2008 @ 04:05 PM).]

posted 27 December 2007 22:24 EDT (US)     24 / 43  
Could you post a few pictures of the campaign map showing the regions where things are happening? Not have M2TW I have no idea where most of the cities you mention are, except by looking at real maps.
posted 28 December 2007 00:06 EDT (US)     25 / 43  
Could you post a few pictures of the campaign map showing the regions where things are happening? Not have M2TW I have no idea where most of the cities you mention are, except by looking at real maps.
Absolutely. Check out this download here, it doesn't show the locations of the cities, but it does label every region accurately. If you want a map which shows the cities, I can try and find one for you, or just take a few screenshots. I do apologize for not having screenshots in my last update, but there really wasn't anything to take pictures of, aside from a few fights with rebels.

http://medieval2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=53

Tsar Wars

My Russia HSR
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Ne Plus Ultra: The Road to Russian Greatness
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames