Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Pontus AAR
posted 24 July 2008 12:25 EDT (US)   
Ok. after reading all of the awesome AARs by everybody i decided to give one a shot as Pontus. BUT because of work and weight lifting and just not having a lot of time in general, i'm just going to do the short campaign. Im a n00b so i'm playing at medium/medium.

here goes nothing...
hmmm. the location on the map is red from Subrosa's amazon mod.

Edit: well, i started the campaign, but in my stupidness, forgot to check "short campaign" so i'm stuck with the long campaign. You people got lucky ;D

"Anything worth living for is worth fighting for, and anthing worth fighting for is worth living for."
Pontus AAR -discontinued
Macedonian AAR-discontinued

[This message has been edited by sibee20 (edited 07-24-2008 @ 02:54 PM).]

Replies:
posted 24 July 2008 12:35 EDT (US)     1 / 11  
There seems to be something strange with your copy of the game. Somehow you have gotten some (but not all) of the files for ATW into your regular RTW folders. That is why you are seeing the Amazonia map and leader pic. Your background is also black rather than red for some reason which has nothing to do with ATW.
posted 24 July 2008 13:28 EDT (US)     2 / 11  
yea the background was for a mod for BI. but the game works just fine so i guess it doesn't matter.

anyways, first update.

My starting territories. dang, those are some sweet territories!

nothing really important happens. we're losing money though.

i try to strike up a deal with the seleucids, and to my delight, they double it!

I send an army to capture Ancyra.

Still losing money.

Next turn, nothing happens, but we start making a profit!

Next i assault Ancyra, i forgot to take a pic of the odds scroll, but it was somewhere from 500-550 vs 200-250. Heres a cool pic of my Pontic heavy cavalry going towards a group of rebel infantry. (off screen)

Shortly after this pic i pepper them with javelins and retreat back and repeat.

When my cavalry is out of ammo i charge.

They completely destroy the naked fanatics.

Put some clothes on you guys! seriously!

We basically got them surrounded. Heavy cav in the back, infantry, light cav and archers in the front.

There general charges. The Idiot.

He learned his lesson.

WHAT THE CRAP!!??!?

Waaaaay too many casualties for a town thats so small.

This guy could replace him. but he IS the faction leader so i'm hesitant to throw him into battle.

Well, thats all for today folks.

"Anything worth living for is worth fighting for, and anthing worth fighting for is worth living for."
Pontus AAR -discontinued

[This message has been edited by sibee20 (edited 07-24-2008 @ 02:51 PM).]

posted 24 July 2008 17:16 EDT (US)     3 / 11  
It is hard losing a General like that. I have a lot of experience with that lately.

Maybe next time you you might let your archers bear more of the load, and hold back your Heavy Cavalry? I see the latter are what took most of the losses. If you can keep them out of long, drawn out melees with enemy infantry it would probably be better.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 07-24-2008 @ 06:17 PM).]

posted 24 July 2008 17:27 EDT (US)     4 / 11  
Yay, another RTW AAR! Good so far. Sad about the general, but a son or a suitor should be along soon enough.

I agree with all that Sub said. And try to maximise the damage your javelins do, by throwing them into the right or rear of the enemy.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 07-24-2008 @ 05:29 PM).]

posted 24 July 2008 19:37 EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Your RTW copy seems to be pretty messed up.

Anyway, I'm doing a Pontus campaign right now, and you can attack Armenia soon so they don't develop much. It's very hard to kill their main army(they had 4 Horse archers when i got there at turn 6), and there is an almost all-infantry army at their other province, which isn't so hard, but not to be underestimated.

Also, the Seleucids may turn their greedy eyes over you if they're not at war with Egypt. They attacked me at turn 16 ,but their all militia'n'peltast army was quickly dispatched and now i own those two cities of theirs in Asia minor.

You should also be able to capture Pergamon.
posted 24 July 2008 20:16 EDT (US)     6 / 11  
Sad about the general, but a son or a suitor should be along soon enough.
Yes, that is exactly what happened. but Then my faction leader died. this is not going very well at all lol.
Also, the Seleucids may turn their greedy eyes over you
already have =( theres an army by mazaka.

Well, i got another update for you guys today. Not a good one if i may add.

We started the turn making a small profit.

I sent my faction leader towards Kotais.

Looks like the Romans and Carthaginians have finally come around to declaring war.

Barely losing money.

That alliance could will be trouble.

Whew! this guy could come in handy! especially since my FACTION LEADER DIED!!! WHY!??!

I send him to take command of the army that the faction leader was going to attack the armenians with.

Some diplomacy. Egypt is probably gonna pull me out of the massive hole i've dug by distracting the seleucids.

The Infantry army Danilh was talking about.

I attack the army to draw out the garrison.

Gotta love high ground.

I got some tricks up my sleeve.

I had a long lapse of not remembering to take pics, but here my general is, or whats left of his body guard. =(

The outcome. An embarrassing/Pyhrric victory for an embarrassed player.

I got ripped off here because the garrison had like 8 people left in the army and they got back in the city.

Sinope grows and that tiny seleucid army doesn't look up to any good. I don't trust smaller armies anymore.

Seeing as the seleucids are about to invade, i honestly dont think i can hold them back if they do. So, I'm gonna try out guerrilla warfare once. it looks like if i could ambush armies and whatnot, then i can drastically improve my odds. If i do lose, i'm gonna start a new campaign as an infantry faction like the romans and document that.

Pontus AAR -discontinued

[This message has been edited by sibee20 (edited 07-24-2008 @ 08:49 PM).]

posted 24 July 2008 23:16 EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Use your brain and your bridges to be victorious.

Also, recruit more cavalry than infantry

Also, adopt an enslavement policy. I got Sinope to large city and 17k inhabitants.

[This message has been edited by Danilh (edited 07-24-2008 @ 11:29 PM).]

posted 25 July 2008 12:15 EDT (US)     8 / 11  
kk update for today. probably will be the only update today cuz i'm seeing step brothers later today.
Also, recruit more cavalry than infantry
Also, adopt an enslavement policy. I got Sinope to large city and 17k inhabitants.
done and done. except right now sinope is a minor city if i am correct?

Anyways, on to the update.

I guessed this was just a lonely hoplite unit, so i sent 2 cavalry units after it.

That Army back there doesn't look like they have good intentions.

Awesome high ground. too bad i'm attacking as now i have to move to them.

Through the eyes of a dead man.

I lure them with the general while light cavalry throws javelins at their backs. when the light cavs are out of ammo they lure the hoplites while my general launches javelins.

Forgot to take pic of outcome, i only lost 2 men though.

Armenians attack me and i accidentally press auto-resolve!
Luckily thats probably what i would've lost anyways.

Hah! what do they think i am? stupid? Maybe so. but i wont agree to their demands.

I assault an Armenian city. Cant remember what its called though.

i must've forgotten to take pics again.
Battles in and around the square.

Their general died before mine! yesssssssss!

As it turns out, my general didnt die at all! =)

Wow. cant be good

Yes, yes, and YES!!

Ugh. horse archers. i hate fighting against them.

Spartocus moves to attack the sons of seleucus.

While Dionysos moves to attack artaxarta.

right about here is where fraps crapped out on me. basically i captured and enslaved artaxarta with about 10% casualties.

Spartocus was attacked by a Seleucid army 2x the size of mine, but i got cavalry behind their lines and wreaked havok. out of 1400 soldiers, 30-40 survived.

Pontus AAR -discontinued
posted 25 July 2008 22:46 EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Good job against the Armenians. You might want to move faster against the Armenians and Parthians or they will get tons of HA.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
/\ingjianma/
|____
Proud Member of TWH since 2007 and AoKH since 2004
Seleucid AAR|Sarmatian AAR | Spain AAR
posted 26 July 2008 00:41 EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Looks like you had some tough breaks, but things seem to be turning around at the end. Good work with your javelin cavalry against those Hoplites. Keep that up and you will do very well with Pontus. They have outstanding cavalry.
posted 26 July 2008 13:29 EDT (US)     11 / 11  
ok small update today.
You might want to move faster against the Armenians and Parthians or they will get tons of HA.
Believe me, the blitz is coming soon. hopefully.
Good work with your javelin cavalry against those Hoplites
Thank you. after those first two pyhrric victories it was sortof a feel-good battle.

Anyways, on to the update.

This guy looks like a tempting target...

I get attacked by 2 seleucid armies. every single unit is a hoplite.

here's my main army, you can see some cavalry i sent to the other side of the map to take care of the enemy's six o clock.

Again i forgot to take pictures but sometimes i'd tell my cavalry to go somewhere but instead they'd go head first into a phalanx.

The general dies and the results scroll.

Accidentally pressed auto-resolve. atleast the battle was in my favor anyways.

The Armenian general i was talking about ambushed me but he failed.

the armenian general was the only one of his soldiers to get away. =(

EDIT: well i don't think i can finish this aar anytime soon with tons of stuff going on like my job at the state fair and wieght lifting. If it were just these things i could probably squeeze in some time but i've begun to lose interest in this faction, and i guess i'm more of an infantry type of player. BUT when the state fair ends i will start a new aar as maybe spain or a roman faction. or maybe i'll hold a vote. But anyways thank you whoever paid attention to this aar and gave me advice, and i'll be back and swinging in a few weeks!

Pontus AAR -discontinued

[This message has been edited by sibee20 (edited 07-27-2008 @ 10:11 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Pontus AAR
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames