You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Noble House of Scipio AAR (RTW Vanilla Scipii)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 29 August 2009 15:43 EDT (US)   
THE NOBLE HOUSE OF SCIPIO

Well, there I was. I started up Rome TW, began a Scipii campaign, and found myself taking hundreds of screenshots. I hadn't planned to start another AAR so soon after the last one, but... Fate took the decision out of my hands.

This is a Scipii AAR for Rome TW Vanilla 1.5.

This is going to be only a short campaign: control 15 provinces and outlast Numidia and Carthage. The unit scale is large (80), and all factors are on (morale, ammo, fatigue).

I appreciate feedback and suggestions. Most importantly, enjoy!

Other AARs by me: Kingdom of the Stag (Britons)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-25-2011 @ 09:11 AM).]

Replies:
posted 29 August 2009 16:39 EDT (US)     1 / 47  
Yay, good luck dude. I'll keep up with this one for sure.

"I think the lesson here is: It doesn't matter where you're from, as long as we're all the same religion." - Peter Griffin

Danish Dreams
posted 29 August 2009 17:37 EDT (US)     2 / 47  
Great News!!! Good Luck Edorix

Airicci2... Rome Total War Fanatic

Pontus AAR
posted 29 August 2009 19:28 EDT (US)     3 / 47  
YAYY!! Edorix FTW!!!!!

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 30 August 2009 04:28 EDT (US)     4 / 47  
I'm going to completely overhaul the first post with better pics, and I still have to upload the rest of the first update. But I am going to try and make this AAR considerably better than the last.

Thanks for all the support and enthusiasm!

-------

My first mission is to take Syracuse. Naturally, that would be my first target anyway, but I'm pleased that now I'm getting paid to do it.

I also trick the Senate of Rome out of a few hundred denarii.

Then my diplomat continues North to make an agreement with Gaul, and an alliance if possible, to slow down Julii expansion - rivals for the imperial throne...

Down on Sicily, I move my spy into Syracuse...

He opens the gates for my army; I could have assaulted the city at once, but prudence decrees that I wait. One opening isn't enough for my whole army to get in fast enough, and a phalanx could easily hold the gap.

I will wait, and assault Syracuse next turn...

-------

That was just a sample. There's a whole lot more to come!

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 08-30-2009 @ 07:01 AM).]

posted 31 August 2009 00:13 EDT (US)     5 / 47  
Yay!!! Scipii rule! Coolest colors, coolest gladiators, coolest family!

I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 31 August 2009 01:10 EDT (US)     6 / 47  
That's right, VC!

--------------------

One of the things I don't like about the campaign as the Roman factions is that without the rewards from Senate missions, there is no earthly way they can make a profit in their first turn whilst still embarking on campaigns of aggression. I lose nearly 4000 denarii in my first turn, even though historically Campania was an extremely rich province from sea-trade and fertile farmland.

My other Roman allies are being supportive at the moment.

My spy, who was discovered in and ejected from Syracuse, travels West and uncovers Lilybaeum, owned by the Carthaginians.

Meanwhile, a fleet from Capua sets off to invade Sardinia. I had to do this so soon because if I leave it any later, the Julii will take Sardinia first.

Next, I assault Syracuse.

Before the battle begins, let me make my excuses. This will be the first battle I have played since the end of my Britannia AAR, and the first siege assault I have played since the Britons took Mediolanum. I will be playing as a civilised faction instead of warcrying woad warriors, and I am badly out of practise. You have been warned.

I advance towards the walls, trying to keep out of the way of the towers and archers. I won't wholly succeed, but with luck I won't take too much damage.

The Greeks have a hoplite unit in the gatehouse, and their peltasts and archers to its left. To its right, where my hastati will scale up their ladders, there is no-one...

My hastati swarm onto the walls, and the Greeks battle to get through the tiny door to get to the fight.

Unfortunately for me, they were able to form up before I could kill a significant number of them.

On the other side of the gatehouse, one brave hastatus stands alone among the Greek archers, who don't seeem to notice him...

... Even after he kills a number of them!

Back on the left of the gatehouse, it's hard to tell who's winning, but I fear the worst. At any rate, I am taking unsustainable casualties at the moment. I won't have enough men left over to fight the rest of the Greek force.

These archers are fighting to the death. Get out of my way! can't you see I've got a job to do?!

The archers go down at last...

And my men charge into the Greek rear.

That's more like it!

They don't last long after the that. One of my hastati is fighting to the death now as well.

Down on the ground behind the walls a short while later, after engaging them head-on to dismal failure, I manage to trick the hoplites out of formation.

Fleeing cowards.

Oh look, now they're coming back for some more.

And now they're going away again.

They turn around in time though.

And off they go again. i call off the pursuit; I don't really want to go anywhere their general's cavalry just yet, with my men in their demoralised and exhausted state.

Time to call on the reinforcements.

Quintus Scipio is so eager to get to the fight he tramples several mercenary hoplites on the way.

Some old friends have come to greet us, it seems...

Or not. A lone peltast scared them away.

How many velites does it take to kill a hoplite?

My missile troops almost got caught in melee by the Greek general's charge, but I bring in Quintus Scipio before he can cause too much damage.

Next some hastati come along to help.

But despite all this, Quintus Scipio is speared by a lucky Greek horseman. He lies under the hooves of the Greek commander.

One of his bodyguards however redeems himself by quickly taking vengeance on the offending Greek. Muahahah! We're both out of generals now.

I really do not excel at infantry battles, but the infantry I'm using is pretty good, so I should be okay. I still have a fresh unit of hoplite mercenaries round the corner...

... Who quickly come into play as my last unit of hastati routs. The other is still fighting to the death on the walls, even though there is no enemy in sight.

I send my peltasts to attack their flank.

Meanwhile, I try and lure this last Greek unit away with my cavalry so my archers can attack them in the rear.

It doesn't quite work; both units rout, and now the last Greek unit is advancing on my mercenary hoplites. Phew, just where would I be without these guys?

I send in my rallied archers on their flank.

Next I send in my rallied peltasts to back up my desperately depleted hoplites.

Those militia hoplites hold out for a hell of a long time...

... But none can stand against the might of Rome!

To counter the culture penalty, I exterminate. this also fills the Scipione treasury.

Quintus Scipio died in the battle, as we know. dulce et decorum est pro patria mori...

The senate mssion has been accomplished; that should put my finanacial worries to an end for some time!

Smoke rises in great black columns from the burning city. Historically, Archimedes died at the Roman sack of Syracuse... but I'm not sure he was even born yet at this point.

Diplomacy with the Gauls. In the end I have to pay them a not insignificant sum for map information. I don't know why I did that.

The Greeks are much more reasonable. Apart from a trade agreement, as part of the peace treaty they cede me Thermon, capital of Aetolia!

That's what I call diplomacy! Now, at the end of turn 2, I have already obtained two provinces; two extremely rich provinces...
--------------------

That's it for this turn. I'm going to try and make shorter, more defined updates in this AAR; defined, that is, by the end of a turn. There are still a lot of turns to go through before I actually have to start playing again before I update.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 08-31-2009 @ 05:16 AM).]

posted 31 August 2009 08:12 EDT (US)     7 / 47  
Nice, I've never thought of getting a province for peace, I usually demand 5-10K instead. But your's makes it easier to take the rest of Greece before the Brutii I supose. Keep up the good work, or my Senatorial assassins will be after you,

"I think the lesson here is: It doesn't matter where you're from, as long as we're all the same religion." - Peter Griffin

Danish Dreams
posted 31 August 2009 10:15 EDT (US)     8 / 47  
wow thats the first time ive ever seen the AI give up a city, and early in the game too!

Airicci2... Rome Total War Fanatic

Pontus AAR
posted 01 September 2009 01:35 EDT (US)     9 / 47  
Yes, normally it's not even worth asking, but this is one of the occasions when it works.

EDIT: I did almost all of this update earlier, but then the computer screwed up and I lost it all, so I'm not going to redo it for a while, I'm too pissed.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 09-01-2009 @ 03:52 AM).]

posted 01 September 2009 05:06 EDT (US)     10 / 47  
Wow, quite an amazing feat of diplomacy there! The game's barely started and you've got a foothold in Greece. You're going to have to learn how to assault a city of hoplites and still have an army left alive at the end of it though... Attack a wall where the enemy isn't, put your archers on top of it, and bait them in where they can be attacked on several sides and shot up with flaming arrows as they approach.
posted 02 September 2009 12:32 EDT (US)     11 / 47  
Thanks for that, ShieldWall. What would I do without you? I think I'm a bit too impatient by nature to actually execute your idea though...

Here's the update I tried to do a few days back.

--------------------

The reward from the Senate and the capture of two more settlements ensure that I make a large profit for that turn.

This is my most recent provincial acquisition. Unfortunately, it will be a full five tuns before I can recruit hastati here.

Meanwhile, my spy infiltrates Lilybaeum, the Carthaginian settlement on the West cost of Sicily.

And an army from Campania lands on Sardinia.

That's all for turn 3. Turn 4 sees more financial losses, but I'm not too worried. I have enough cash in the reserve for now, and my path is leading towards more extremely rich provinces.

There is a complication on Sardinia...

I began building a stables in Messana turn 1, and can now recruit my only pre-marian melee cavalry: equites.

I am also going to build shrines and temples to Vulcan at Messana, which will boost their stats.

The Greeks accept my offer of alliance; no point going against two enemies in Greece, and I'm pretty sure that the Senate is going to ask me to attack Larissa.

This results in peace between the Greeks and the other Roman factions as well.

A trade agreement appeared beneficial to both Macedon and the House of Scipio; I didn't give them my map info though, because I don't want them to know the extent of my empire.

This is the wonder of the world nearest to me. It would be useful, but it will be a long time yet before I manage to capture it.

Only a small loss for turn 5.

Although officially he came of age at 14 (historically, anyway), Aulus Scipio is now old enough to join the army.

Those Greeks are really treading the line here...

I was lucky enough for the Carthaginian army near Caralis to get back onto their fleet; I lost no time in attacking and destroying it.

The dreaded Punic Wars have begun!

The foolish Greeks decide to cling to their alliance with Carthage instead of the Scipiones. They will have to be punished for this insult.

Meanwhile, this is the garrison of Caralis. There is no way i am fighting this battle myself; my melee infantry would never catch up with these guys, and I would take heavy casulaties.

Whereas if the computer does it for me, the odds are in my favor.

Victory.

Sradinia is mine. Meanwhile, back at the capital, I begin construction of a market. I am not going to play this as far as the Civil War, and it is a long way from the border, so I can afford to concentrate on building up my economy.

Despite my new conquest, I'm still lsoing money.

The other Romans have joined me in my war against Carthage.

I was never going to keep to this peace for long, but I would have liked to get map info off the Carthaginians first. They however have other ideas.

A band of rebels on Sicily refuse to be bribed.

A fine legion under Aulua Scipio marching from Syracuse is joined by cavalry from Messana and proceeds towards Lilybaeum.

Over in Greece, the Brutii still have not attacked Apollonia. That's unusual; a human player can take the place turn 1, and even the AI usually takes it turn 2 or 3.

As I can now recruit Town Watch at Thermon, i disband the peasants garrisoned there.

I sent my diplomat North a few turns back to try and bribe Massilia; unfortunately, it is currently under siege by the gauls. I'll have to send an army from Capua to take it. It is one of my favorite provinces on the map, I don't know why.

Next turn, I attack Lilybaeum. For the second time in a row - unusual on the harder difficulties - my spy succeeds in opening the gates.

This time, I am going to use the turn advantage.

Naturally, those odds result in a clear victory. The gods look kindly on young Aulus.

To counter squalor and to boost my capital, I enslave.

Next turn, the difference between my expenditures and income are beginning to shrink.

As I had hoped, I could now upgrade my capital to city status if I chose. I'll wait till those markets have been built.

Thrace and Macedon have gone to war, as have Parthia and the Seleucid Empire. Both Macedon and the seleucids are usually the first factions to be wiped out...

The Senate has rewarded me with a unit of veteran Triarii; the final reserve line of a Roman army. Their stats are inferior to those of Chosen Swordsmen, incidentally, although they are recruited from the next tier up.

I put them, along with two maniples of hastati, onto a fleet at Neapolis(Naples), the port of Capua. I like to give names to my ports; problem is, with some cities like Carthage, Syracuse and Carthago Nova, the port is the same as the city... anyway.

The fleet I defeated South of Sardinia appears to be coming back for more.

Next turn, the Senate asks me to blockade Carthage. I expect I will have captured Carthage by the time the mssion expires. Anyway, what would I want with popularity in the Senate?

Turn profits... that are actually positive! Yay!

The House of Scipio is now the most advanced faction in the World already.

I think the Seleucids are, as usual, going the way of the dinosaurs.

I decide to upgrade the barracks at Syracuse.

I also decide to upgrade the shrine to Vulcan at Messana.

My diplomat is exploring Greece; the Greeks have captured Corinth.

Next turn, I'm still not making a profit. This is Turn 9 now, I think.

Why, the ungrateful wrthces! Of twelve provinces under Roman rule, five of them are mine!

I'm getting deja vu all over again from my last AAR.

The usual sort of things are happening in the rest of the world; the Seleucids are now fghting a three-front war (or maybe four-front, I forget).

Meanwhile, Aulus Scipio lands in Africa. I hope his campaign winds up the same as that of Scipio Africanus did, not that of Regulus, who is closer to his own time (historically).

I besige Carthage with a large variety of siege equipment.

I also hire some Numidian mercenaries; these guys are pretty good, and I'm short of cavalry.

A naval battle off the coast results in victory for me.

Here is my star general, outside Carthage...

Having completed my last mission, the senate now wants me to fight on a different front; Greece. They want me to attack Larissa, province Thessalia, territory of the kingdom of Macedon. I will try...

I really need to capture Carthage. My finaces are still plummeting.

My diplomat from Thermon is on his way to get an alliance with other enemies of Macedon: Thrace.

Meanwhile, Aulus assaults Carthage.

A great victory! This will be a day to remember! A teenager just captured the capital city of my greatest foe! The fact that he outnumbered them by a factor of four is irrelevant.

In accordance with history, I put the people to the sword. 8000 silver coins are poured into the treasury.

In Turn 11, I make my first serious profit for... eight/nine turns?

The House of Scipio is once again the most advanced faction on the face of the Earth!

Another young man of promise - Flavius Scipio - has come of age.

Okay, now the Seleucids are fighting a four-front war. Gaul has also declared an alliance with Dacia, and, interestingly, the Greeks are no longer fighting the Macedonians.

Capua has developed into a Minor city; I think it might be about time I gave it a specific cult. And who better to worship for an empire of islands than Neptune, god of the sea?

--------------------

There. I shall have to play some more of the campaign before I make my next update. i hope to give you some more battles in the future; I realise the only one I have fought for myself so far was the Battle of Syracuse. My next targets are Thapsus, Massilia, and Lepcis Magna.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 09-05-2009 @ 05:09 AM).]

posted 04 September 2009 13:56 EDT (US)     12 / 47  
Sorry I didn't finish that update sooner; first week back at school, and then there was the Sepia Joust... been pretty busy. I can't promise more regular updates I'm afraid, but I will devote as much time to this as possible. Anyway, it's finished now, for those of you who are keeping up with this.

posted 09 September 2009 10:07 EDT (US)     13 / 47  
I had hoped someone would post between the last update and now. Oh well.

I only have time for a small update today: here it is...

--------------------

The first thing I do is begin construction of a Cavalry Stables at Carthage. I will need those Cavalry Auxilia for my war with Numidia.

In their turn, a diplomat from Numidia arrives at Carthage.

Not only do we make the standard trade agreement with them, but even manage to consolidate an alliance... if a necessarily short-term alliance as we struggle for supremacy over Northwest Africa.

Next, a Thracian Ambassador arrives at Thermon. They are also content to be allies.

The Senate has canceled my mission to take Larissa. They now want me to go after Sparta! Not likely.

My diplomat in Thrace no longer has any need to be there; he sets off North for Scythia.

I did a lot of spending last turn; mostly on construction and recruitment. I still have plenty of cash in the reserve, so again, I'm not too worried.

Not much is happening in Greece just yet it seems; the Greeks have taken over Attica, but they probably did that a while ago. I'm still building up my armies.

Another major construction I am undertaking is this shipwright in Syracuse.

Meanwhile Aulus Scipio is invading Byzacium; I don't see any Punic armies around, so I'm not worried about bringing down my whole force from Carthage.

Maybe I should have been more wary; i don't have any idea where all these guys came from.

Fortunately, the odds (8:3) are quite strongly in my favor.

I missed the deployment screen; but it doesn't greatly matter as I'm using very standard tactics. Hastati in a single line in the centre, flanked by the cavalry, with the general in reserve.

The first thing that happens is the Carthaginian left-wing cavalry racing off to my right. I send two units of equites at them. The Carthaginians then send in some reinforcement cavalry, but too late; the first unit has already routed, giving me time to turn on the second with both units.

On the left wing, my cavalry is just harassing the Carthaginian lines, waiting for the Carthaginian right-wing cavalry to come out of hiding so I can destroy them.

Meanwhile, the Carthaginian general unit - fortunately only more roundshields - has got round behind my lines and is charging my general. I was seriously worried when I saw that town militia coming up in support as well. That could have got nasty.

I seem to be in luck however.

I manage to break free of an extended engagement with those spearmen, only to be charged in the rear again by those roundshields.

I send in my idle right-wing cavalry as reinforcements, although it appears they are unnecessary and would have been better employed charging the flank of the Carthaginian infantry.

The Carthaginian Town militia attack the rear of my hastati. I spot them; they will be crushed between a unit of equites and two of hastati.

Their captain is slain; their general-unit begins to rout.

I'm afraid I missed most of the infantry battle, but some of my hastati were sent against the Iberian infantry early on. Here they are now:

These fleeing Town Militia go down under a hail of pila.

Carthage has a pretty poor early-game line-up, I find. Victory.

When my turn comes around again, I attack this second force of Carthaginians. This time I auto-decide.

I lose some more money next turn, but to be fair, I was spending extravagantly. I should really slow up on the spending front.

Grr... I keep thinking I've seen this somewhere before...

My diplomat is taking the long way to Campus Scythii.

The Gallic town of Massilia doesn't want to be bribed. My diplomat has been standing around Transalpine Gaul for a while now, where I had forgotten him. I don't think he minded.

I send him on to Spain. Boy, I wish I was that diplomat. first Provence, now the Pyrenees, next the Baia del Sol...

Next turn, this man wants to marry one of my female relatives. Why not?

Due to careful management of my treasury, I finally turn a profit.

Next, I assault Thapsus.

Outnumbered and outclassed, the garrison was overwhelmed.

As with Carthage, the population is put to the sword to pour some more cash into the treasury quickly.

Some good buildings in this settlement; both militia barracks and stables. I can retrain both my equites and my hastati! You see those Numidian Infantry Mercenaries or whatever they're called? I have no idea why i hired them. I disband them pretty soon.

Smoke from the burning of Thapsus rises high to heaven; the House of Scipio is growing daily stronger...

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 09-23-2009 @ 07:48 AM).]

posted 09 September 2009 12:18 EDT (US)     14 / 47  
Nice to see a profit being turned and I hope you give those Numidians a sound beating soon. Keep it up dude, really enjoyable.

Danish Dreams
posted 16 September 2009 08:42 EDT (US)     15 / 47  
I've got another small update prepared; I don't know when I'll have the time to upload it, but I will try to make it as soon as possible.

Thanks, Leg.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 09-17-2009 @ 01:05 PM).]

posted 23 September 2009 08:47 EDT (US)     16 / 47  
Yes, I know it's been a while. I'm really sorry. However, it's not my fault. I have barely had time to get anywhere near a computer over the past week, let alone make an update. With nearly 120 pictures on average each time, it takes quite a lot of time; usually at least an hour (there aren't as many as that for this episode, thank the gods). Anyway, we left off last time with the Scipione capture of Thapsus. This update will take us through another provincial annexation to a major historic moment- of particular significance to me, but very little to everyone else.

I have replaced that thumbnail in the last post which didn't show up. Thanks for not complaining about it.

--------------------

Numidia, CDLXXXIX AVC.

The first thing I do is send a spy on his way to Cirta, capital of Numidia. they are my allies for now, but it is also now that I have plenty of spare troops in Carthage.

This does not bode well. It won't be terribel, but it means that a province that was going to be instrumental in providing me with mercenaries and income, not to mention a bridge between Massilia and my Southern provinces. I hope the Julii don't capture Palma.

I am now building ports all over Sicily to maximise income from this island. I am certain i am not yet reaping its full finacial potential, and it no longer has to support military expeditions: my African territories are now filling that role.

Over in Greece, i'm praying the Macedonians can hold out at Larissa. I find that, as in history, the Greeks generally manage to reclaim most of the whole country from the Macedonians before the Romans arrive. well, the Romans have arrived, but I am building up my strength and the Brutii are doing what the AI do best - namely, nothing. I should move fast, but there is nothing I can do until I have stables at Thermon. That's next on the agenda.

My diplomat is now taking the quick way to Scythia.

Next turn, he gets right to the gates before he runs out of moves. That was frustrating.

I'm gaining money, so i don't need to think of an excuse to explain any losses.

I think this is what you call maiestas.

Or maybe that caption would be more suitable for this...

As promised, stables at Thermon. Not long now...

My faction leader, Cornelius Scipio, is still alive, but he is aging. I think family members for all factions have an average lifespan of 65 years - unless of course they are killed by plague, riot or battle.

Carthage can now train Cavalry Auxilia. their stats aren't great, but these guys are lifesavers, believe me. They're the closest thing the Romans get to Horse-Archers.

Now what are these retarded Carthaginians playing at? Do they seriuosly think anything at all can stand in the way of Aulua Scipio on his way to Lepcis Magna?

Trade Rights and Alliance with Spain. There wasn't very much point in that; my code of honour requires that I break it before attacking them anyway, and that time is probably not very far off.

I have a new heir to the investitures of the Most Noble House of scipio: Aulus Scipio Africanus!

My spy infiltrates Cirta. It looks ripe for the picking, but I would rather give it to Aulus. I will wait for him to get back from Lepcis before attacking.

The Julii have besieged Palma; I pray that the Carthaginians will be able to hold out.

I can't think of an excuse, so, yeah... I've been spending too much.

The great volcano at Etna has erupted! I'd forgotten that always happened in 261BC. actually, I'd forgotten it was 261BC...

There's a nice picture of the eruption... But it didn't kill those annoying rebels who've been standing by Messana for years while I deal with foreign conquest rather than internal pacification. Grr...

I have some triremes in a small fleet at Syracuse. I'm going to send them to Carthage... for no particular reason except that I felt like it.

A foolish Carthaginian Admiral who thought it would be amusing to test my patience is put back in his place... a thousand feet beneath the waves! Muahahahahahah!

Aulus scipio builds a fortified camp on his way to Lepcis Magna. There will be no mistakes with him as commander.

I wish I could retrain these guys. Those stats aren't bad at all...

Galerius Laberius (what a stupid name: Galerius Laberius, had a lot of hair-ius, went t'a little fairy-us, made it all disappear-ius!)... er, yeah, little Publius Scipio who will come of age in a few years made that up a while ago. Not me. Uh-uh. Anyway, he's reached Scythapolis.

He makes the standard agreement, and then follows it up by forging an alliance as well.

Next turn, he sets off towards the capital of Dacia: Porolissum, although strictly speaking it ought to be Sarmezegetusa, a little further South. That's a great name for an Eastern-European mountain-stronghold, don't you think? Whereas Porolissum... hey wait, that's Roman, it must be better. As you can see i'm still getting into character.

Heh heh... yeah... well... running an empire isn't chep, you know?

Ungrateful bastards.

Not this again...

Time to begin exploiting Carthage's agricultural potential. Before and after Egypt was part of the (Western) Roman Empire, Africa Proconsularis was known as "the Breadbasket of Rome". I think this will be very much worth it.

Aulus Scipio continues on his careful campaign, and besieges Lepcis Magna. Not long now...

Time to get rid of that annoying little bunch of Carthaginians.

It was a close thing, but in the end I took this as an opportunity to end my alliance with Numidia.

I still can't think of an excuse. Erm...

Ah, look, something to distract you from interrogating me for excuses! Roman greatness knows no boundaries!

This diplomat has come through Gaul all the way from Spain. I wonder where he'll end up next... no, I'm just whistling here...

Blast. Pesky Parvenues.

Time to assault Lepcis Magna.

Did you really think I'd do it myself?

Because the population is tiny anyway, I occupy.

A swathe of blue across Carthage's old possessions.

I'm not quite sure what I'm showing you here. Probably my fleet.

There are a whole lot of family members in Capua. Enough to launch a major invasion... I'm just waiting to build up my infantry.

Dacia accepts both trade rights and alliance! I on a roll!

Money, money, money is funny in a rich man's world!

As soon as I've got a few equites, I'll be ready. Graecia, here I come!

I honestly have no idea where my diplomat might be heading. Honestly.

I've decided to begin transferring population from Thapsus and Syracuse to boost Lepcis Magna to Large Town status.

Messana is about to become my fourth Minor City.

A quick glimpse of Italy. I nearly have enough troops at Capua.

Money ain't so funny no more.

This doesn't yet mean much to me; but to some future Overlord of Kings of the House of Scipio when this AAR is over, I am sure it will prove useful...

This is a good sign; it means that the Julii won't be getting under my feet in Spain.

However, it is also a sign I have to hurry if I want to reach Massilia before them. my army from Capua sets sail on a dangerously weak fleet...

Oh! What a surprise! A settlement of the Painted People!

Naturally, I am always handicapped when it comes to playing against the Britons, as I am biased in their favour. I make a trade agreement...

And reach the pinnacle of my diplomatic career by sealing alliance with the Kingdom of the Stag!

--------------------

Update complete. I'm afraid that's all for now.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 11-21-2009 @ 11:05 AM).]

posted 30 September 2009 11:39 EDT (US)     17 / 47  
Generally speaking, I make my updates on Wednesday. Today however, I've been working hard on my mod (and catching up on homework ), so I'm afraid I'll have to give it a miss. I might try and catch up later in the week if I've solved my map problems by then.

Meanwhile, I'd just like to take a quick survey of who's following this? I will continue with this AAR even if only one person cares - one way or another, I'll eventually finish it - but I would like to see who/how many people is/are actually interested in this?

posted 30 September 2009 15:46 EDT (US)     18 / 47  
Glory for the Scipii! Scipii FTW!!!

posted 10 October 2009 09:24 EDT (US)     19 / 47  
Avete, omnes!

Yes, I know, it's been a while, but I've finally found time to do another update.

I am going to use photobucket for this episode; if you think the thumbnails look weird without the size bar underneath, don't worry; you'll get used to it.

I'm uploading the pictures right now; let's see if I can get the resizing right...

EDIT: Okay, actually I'll stick with imageshack, it's easier to use. I'm just uploading the files all over again...

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-10-2009 @ 09:33 AM).]

posted 10 October 2009 09:49 EDT (US)     20 / 47  
Carthago. Winter, Four hundred and ninety-two years ab vrbe condita.

Gaius Scipio, de facto leader of operations in Africa, is preparing for the invasion of Numidia. Once he has recruited these two cavalry units, he shall set off for their capital; Cirta. Relations have not been friendly between the Scipiones and their ex-allies in recent years.

I am sending peasants from Thapsus overland and from Syracuse on a fleet to boost the population of Leptis Magna. A town out there on the border is asking for trouble from Egypt - not someone I want to pick a fight with before the Marian Reforms.

The next turn, I make some small profit.

It appears my fellow countrymen to the South have gone to war with Gaul; perhaps they are attacking Patavium?

A look at the Po Valley. This is good news for the House of Scipio; this should keep the Julii out of Spain long enough for me to begin conquering it.

--------------------
Sorry about this delay. The interruptions of tyrannical parents cannot be foreseen.
--------------------

At Leptis Magna, I replace the Shrine to Baal with a Roman one to Saturn.

I cannot comprehend the public order here. With such a large garrison, and such a relatively small population, you'd think they'd be easy to control... But look at that unrest!

I decide to try an experiment. I set the taxes to maximum. Public Order drops to 25%! It's not often you see that sort of discontent in a town with a half-stack garrison, good governor, and no squalor to speak of.

I've changed my mind; I'm not going to wait for my cavalry to be trained. They'll have to catch up. Gaius Scipio leads a leion of Rome's finest African-raised citizen troops into Numidia.

My army from Neapolis-Puteoli (the twin ports of Capua) are a turn's sail from Massilia...

Turn profits...

As expected, Leptis Magna is rioting. My cities don't often riot; I didn't quite get how a character could be "affected".

Plus, how come I have a new faction heir?

I was beginning to get worried by now. I went to find Gaius Scipio. Sure enough, here he is: faction heir.

Fearing the worst, I check my family tree. There he is; dead. I get no message; just "died tragically 260BC". I fee like such a fool. A young man's life, his career just opening up onto a pathway of great acconmplishments, cruelly snuffed out.

Aulus Scipio Africanus, aged twenty-four: I am so sorry. Ave atqve vale. nvmqvam oblitvs eris.

Such was the price of my experiment. Meanwhile, in Gaul, diplomat Quintus Caecus has come across a medium-sized Germanic army.

Although I had their map info, for some reason I did not have trade rights. Now I do.

I've been expecting this message for a while now. I don't really care.

I think I won't attack Larissa just yet...

Sextus Trebonianus has landed near Massilia.

It's a large town, which is useful. Besieging it triggers war with Gaul.

I don't think that garrison stands much of a chance, do you?

Now who should turn up at Capua in their turn but a Gallic diplomat.

Nothing is going to stop me from getting my hands on Massilia; let's see how serious these Gauls really are about wanting peace...

I can't believe it; they accept!

Next turn, I adopt a promising young man - one Titus Aurelius, a good Roman name - into the House of Scipio.

The Senate hasn't quite got my message about Sparta. Sure, a "rich reward" would be nice, but I can't attack Sparta and defend Thermon at the same time.

The capture of two new provinces in the rich South of Gaul ensures that even I can make a profit.

This was a nice gift for the Gauls to leave me at Narbo.

I immediately send one of my generals with all the cavalry to reinforce my position at Narbo.

Meanwhile, the rest of my forces move into Massilia. A nice gift from the Gauls was left for me there, too.

I am building a trireme to send the promising young Titus Aurelius to Massilia. Come to think of it, I should probably set him as my faction heir; Africanus may be gone, and he will never be forgotten, but there will always be a place for a Scipio Ibericus!

I've decided to abandon Leptis Magna. It's not worth the garrison required and available to keep it.

Gaius Scipio is nearly at the gates of Cirta...

The Numidians seem to have quite a lot of missile infantry around, but not as much cavalry as I feared. I, on the other hand, have nine units of good cavalry, nine of the world's greatest infantry, and two mediocre missile infantry.

Come to think of it, as I have ten turns, I could probably take Sparta...

Syracuse looks like becoming the first city in my empire with a forum.

Typical. I'm losing money.

Southern Gaul looks like becoming a very important fulcrum of my empire. I am going to mass-force-emigrate peasants from Massilia to boost Narbo to the next tier.

Gaius Scipio besieges Cirta. He has enough build points to prepare six rams for the assault!

This means war!

Standard time-wasting diplomacy with the Greeks. This reminds me of the pharaoh's ambassador award. They're so bloody arrogant!

The Numidians bring in their reinforcements and sally. I had planned to fight this field-battle with them myself, but in the end...

I didn't. I let the gods decide and, typically, was rewarded with a victory.

I successfully lost Leptis Magna, but the Senate wants me to take it straight back! Blast!

Well, at least I'll be able to avenge the death of Aulus Africanus.

Given the state of the treasury, I'm surprised my empire can even continue to function!

The ungrateful wretches! I pursue nothing but the glory of Rome, and this is my thanks!

In external politics however, my Roman "allies" are being supportive. Hypocrites...

I assault Cirta. Now the odds are even more in my favor.

Victory.

To scrape together some cash, I let loose my men on the city.

Sometimes... for the greate good... sacrifices have to be made. Hmm... I'm just trying to justify to myself putting innocents to the sword for money.

This city has all the right buildings I need. Perfect!

Meanwhile, my spy sets off on his next mission; across the desert, to the important city of Tingis...

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-10-2009 @ 04:06 PM).]

posted 10 October 2009 16:09 EDT (US)     21 / 47  
Update complete.

I think it's just for you, VC.

posted 10 October 2009 22:29 EDT (US)     22 / 47  
I count as 17 other, inferior, drunk men.

posted 14 October 2009 08:41 EDT (US)     23 / 47  
Tales are wasted on drunkards.

I am going to try and make my updates smaller in length in future. I will probably skim over aspects of the campaign, and concentrate more on the battles. This is aimed to make this AAR both more interesting for you and less time-consuming for me.

posted 23 October 2009 12:36 EDT (US)     24 / 47  
Just thought I'd tell you that this is till going... slowly.

I have submitted an up-to-date save as a download; you can find it here.

posted 03 November 2009 09:41 EDT (US)     25 / 47  
Yeah, I know, I'm really not making very regular updates... but at least I can be sure I'm not leaving any of my readers behind. Oops, wait, I mean, my reader.

Well, here we go.

--------------------

Gallia Transalpina. Summer, 495 AVC.

The colony of Narbo Martius has a large enough population to become a large town. Soon, I shall be confident enough with the situation in Gaul to begin my invasion of Spain.

Captain Marcus is two turns away from taking vengeance on the people of Lepcis Magna, who murdered the promising young Aulus Scipio Africanus in a riot.

A ship from Syracuse is on its way to Thermon. It is destined to carry an army from Aetolia to Laconia...

Next turn, the cash comes pouring in. The capture of Cirta made more of a difference than I ever dared to hope.

This is not good. If Capua continues growing at this rate, the marian reforms will stike long before I'm ready for them.

I think I'll risk a riot and begin construction of the Via Appia.

A glance at Greece. Those Thracians are a long way from home!

Gaius Scipio marches out from Cirta with his cavalry to face this little band of Numidians who failed to follow their fellows into Hell.

A battle, everyone! A battle at last!

Wow, I had no idea the landscape of Numidia looked like that! A land worth fighting for.

Those pesky numidians form up miles away. Grr! A quick note; if the screenshots aren't great and my tactics are a bit sloppy, it's because I was playing on my mother's laptop. You know that stupid touchpad mouse? That's what i had to use to fight. So, please, be nice.

It takes a while to get over there, but you can see already which way the battle's going.

Time to throw in the general.

If I didn't get many screenshots, I'm sorry, but cavalry battles tend to be very fast-paced, especially when your mouse is constantly making you click on what you don't actually want to click on. Despite my technical difficulties, the battle turned into a chase pretty quickly.

Riding down a few stragglers...

My men have finished mopping up.

Not much challenge there, but that last one was a nice shot of cavalry auxilia with their swords out if you want it.

How convenient. I won't have to trouble any longer about them.

I'm not sure how long these rebels have been standing here, but they've been doing it for long enough.

By next turn, I have recruited a unit of equites and sent up my faction leader from Syracuse to compliment my army of Town Watch. they march out.

I love the battlefields in this game. Beautiful.

I also love Town Watch. They look pretty cool. Plus, they are extremely useful in situation like this.

I send my cavalry to charge the rebel centre of peasants.

They do their job excellently. The enemy infantry doesn't turn to crush them from both sides, and I am able to continue with my plan to swamp the enemy general unit.

The Town Watch engage the thin rebel main line; those Iberian infantry never stood a chance.

After that it's really just a question of chasing down the routers.

Down go the last of them.

No challenge there either.

Titus Aurelius, who was being shipped from Capua, has at last landed near Massilia, only to find his path to the city blocked by one Dumnorix of the Meuse River. I think he overshot a bit.

I catch him between three units of hastati from Massilia and Titus Aurelius on his way in the other direction.

--------------------

This battle will spark a series of brawls with completely unintelligible results, and for which I have dozens of screenshots. Unfortunately, most of them have been mixed up by my imageshack account. I'll finish this update in a minute.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 11-21-2009 @ 11:08 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » The Noble House of Scipio AAR (RTW Vanilla Scipii)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames