Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RTW Swap game - Egypt
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 17 November 2009 07:01 EDT (US)   
Egypt - The land of the desert

The latest TWH forum swap has started. This time we're taking turns commanding the sons of the pharaoh: the Egyptians.

Settings:
Campaign difficulty: Hard
Battle difficulty: Hard
Long campaign
Arcade battles off

See first post for an AAR of my first turn commanding Egypt.

Our Roster:

1-Hussarknight
2-Andalus Punic Hoplite
3-JrvUnleashed II
4-Ischenous
5-Edorix II
6-Selifator
7-Awesomated88 I
8-Stormer
9- Zsmart one II
10- Gundam Merc I
11- BastWorshipper I

Rules for forwarding saves:

Each player gets the save for five days or (around) seven turns, whichever comes first. If longer time is required, please inform the swap-game administrator as soon as possible.

Those who shall reign shall save the chronicles of their reign as RTW-Egypt-T#,
with the # rune being replaced by thy number on the roster (see above), before placing them into the zipped pouch.

This will avoid one save overwriting another, and help keep things organized.

Added Roster for ease of reference, and number of hop-overs. After 3 hopovers, name will be struck until that Pharaoh requests back in-Terikel

Added Terikel's save-forwarding rules for ease of reference-Edorix

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-27-2010 @ 07:48 AM).]

Replies:
posted 17 November 2009 07:39 EDT (US)     1 / 227  
Our heartland is the valley of the Nile. The Numidians own Siwa to the west and could pose a threat, so a young general is sent out to eliminate that threat. His army is assembled from various forces from the region.

Since the Nile cities are much larger than others, and grow quickly, we'll be training our most advanced troops there. I start building Paved Roads throughout the empire so they can be brought to the front quickly.

Our faction leader isn't waiting for that and leads an army of charioteers eastward. He'll be going to the front where his large bodyguard and the chariot archers can make themselves useful. I'll be leaving the small desert towns like Petra for later since they don't bring in much money.

This has the added advantage of not sending extra slaves to Alexandria. The population is growing quickly enough without an influx of serfs.

Our spy, Khu, starts scouting the provinces of the Seleucid kings. They possess many provinces, but this leaves them stretched thing and they could be a vulnerable target.
The
prospects are good so an army is assembled in the Levant to start our expansion.

Unsuspecting of our plans, the sons of Seleucus approach us with an offer of Trade and sharing maps. We gladly accept: knowing where their cities are will make the conquest much easier.

Our plans are delayed the next season. Rebellious spirits have mistaken the marching away of our armies as a sign of weakness and try to seize power.

Hekhemmut, our wise and noble pharaoh, turns back at once to trample these rebels into the dust.

Our Chariot Archers wear them down from a safe distance. They have bowmen, but there is no doubt they can't hit a moving chariot!

With their bowmen shot to pieces it is time to take out the rabble leader. As we know from experience they have no defense against arrows and it doesn't take long before they start dropping like flies.

Here goes their so-called general. Bah! He hasn't even killed a single man!

Hiding in the trees is no use against arrows. They don't see, but they kill none the less!

Now that their leader is dead they abandon their thoughts of rebellion, but none can escape the swift chariots.

From his great victory Hekhemmut further increase his knowledge of battle. This will prove useful in battles to come.

One of the slaves turns against his comrades. He's just a slave, but who knows how he could prove useful?

Khnumhoptep, after hearing from the success of his father, leads his army on against the second rebel force.

These slaves are slightly more daring than their brothers-in-revolt, but marching so far away is not a good idea.

Their leader rushes to the rescue, but his horses are no match for the chariots.

After a short pause Khnumhoptep charges again.

But it appears the gods are not with him! Hitting a horse, his chariot crashes and he himself doesn't survive.

Angered at his fall his bodyguard charge for revenge, but the amount of enemies alive is too much for them.

The rest of out forces have little trouble defeating the remnants of the rebel mob.

Alas! a son of the desert is lost. Ptahhotep will now have to succeed his father and take on the burden of leading an empire.

To demonstrate his new authority, he besieges the Seleucid town of Damascus.

A man by the name of Djehutimes Philopater wishes to marry a daughter of the desert. He has a good grasp of the art of leading men into battle so we accept him.

A new son of the desert has come of age! The earth shall tremble under the feet of his armies!

Together with Djehutimes he immediately prepares to battle another group of rebels.

In the desert, Ptahhotep leads the assault of Damascus. It is defended only by some relative of the Seleucid king so it will not prov difficult.

With the gates broken open our archers unleash their deadly arrows.

By continuously firing one volley and the waiting for some time the Seleucid general Demetrius gets confused and runs back and forth. A few of his men die on the spearpoints of our Nubian warriors.

Others are struck down from afar.

He himself dies in a last charge into a row of spears. What a foolish way to end a foolish man's life!

The town if ours for the taking.

Since it is only a small town we let the people live.

Horus be praised! No-one commands more land than our wise and noble Pharaoh! No-one is more advanced!

A small rebel force is dealt with near Thebes. Let us hope there shall be no more fools wishing to die now.

In Syria Ptahhotep encounters an army from the Seleucid king, lead by some greekish fellow with a long name.

He arranges his forces in an unusual way: Militia Cavalry in the center and hoplites on the flanks.

It is no surprise his men flee even before a blow is felled. They try to run way, but the mighty Ptahhotep leads his guard of swift charioteers and cuts down many.

The way to Antioch lies open!

This is where I hand over the scepter of the Pharaoh to the noble Lord Andalus. May he crush our foes like beetles underneath our heels and lad the sons of the desert to greatness!

Hussarknight
posted 17 November 2009 12:50 EDT (US)     2 / 227  
Great stuff Hussar. I can't wait to get my turn in.

By the way, Andalus: My email is JrvUnleashed@hotmail.com if you didn't know.

"Communism is like a Mistress you later learn is a Mister and no amount of showers will ever wash away the shame.
Capitalism on the other hand is like the bosom of a women fresh out of the kitchen with sweat on her brow and enough milk to feed a village of children for weeks. And I'll tell you something: I. Want. That. Bosom."

[This message has been edited by JrvUnleashed (edited 11-17-2009 @ 01:20 PM).]

posted 18 November 2009 09:38 EDT (US)     3 / 227  
Excellent!

Looks like things are getting underway!

EDIT: removed sig.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 12-05-2009 @ 10:52 AM).]

posted 02 December 2009 09:00 EDT (US)     4 / 227  
Hey, what's happening?

Did you get the save Andalus? And isn't there normally a maximum of three days before the next player?
posted 02 December 2009 12:10 EDT (US)     5 / 227  
I have received Pharaoh's Scepter and shall forward it by electronic courier to Lord JrvUnleashed at once.
posted 04 December 2009 22:32 EDT (US)     6 / 227  
Alright, I'll be posting the update tomorrow.

"Communism is like a Mistress you later learn is a Mister and no amount of showers will ever wash away the shame.
Capitalism on the other hand is like the bosom of a women fresh out of the kitchen with sweat on her brow and enough milk to feed a village of children for weeks. And I'll tell you something: I. Want. That. Bosom."
posted 05 December 2009 03:22 EDT (US)     7 / 227  
Shouldn't the updates be in order? Where's Andalus's? Or did he not have time to do anything?
posted 05 December 2009 08:46 EDT (US)     8 / 227  
I would post a proper one but I don't have the time nor energy to convert all the tgas now, plus Gimp is being a jackanapes.

To cut a long story short, Kiya besieged Siwa, ever a fan of assonance. The Numidians counter-attacked and were defeated by a combination of Kiya's guards and Bowmen with fire arrows. He occupied the town and then continued along the desert road toward Cyrene, which was upgraded to paved for swifter travel, building watchtowers along the route.

During my five seasons many settlements were upgraded and improved so that the forces available to us are now more imposing. The Nile Spearmen from Sidon should be a useful step up from Nubians.

Our faction leader led two Chariot Archers up from the Nile delta to the Seleucid frontline. He defeated three large armies of Judean rebels in one turn without a casualty, getting those chariot archers up to silver chevrons. Trroops were brought over from Salamis, and more trained at Sidon, for another general to besiege Antioch, while the faction leader and his archers continued to destroy rebel and Seleucid armies in the surrounding countryside, preventing relief from reaching the city. It was at this point, waiting outside the walls that I left my command.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 12-05-2009 @ 01:57 PM).]

posted 05 December 2009 10:40 EDT (US)     9 / 227  
Wait, so Terikel, did you give me the same save as Andalus, or did you give me the save after Andalus? I'm confused now.

[This message has been edited by JrvUnleashed (edited 12-05-2009 @ 10:43 AM).]

posted 05 December 2009 10:49 EDT (US)     10 / 227  
Did you actually look at it? If we control Siwa then you're up to date.
posted 05 December 2009 13:44 EDT (US)     11 / 227  
Alright then. I'm currently uploading all the pictures. It's going to take a while lol. I might have overdid it.

posted 05 December 2009 15:13 EDT (US)     12 / 227  
EDIT: Alright, I changed all the pics to thumbnails and added a few things. Hope it's better on the eyes.

Alright guys, I've finally finished. This is not only my first swap game, but my first game playing as Egypt, and my first game playing on Hard, so forgive me if I am not up to your skill standards. Alright then, let's begin:

I assault the city previously sieged by Andalus.

I appreciate the dozens of siege equipment, but I will only be using 2 towers and a sap point.

My towers make contact.

An unforeseen tower peppers the lightly armored units. No matter, they're throw-aways anyway. I'll simply retrain them.

My sap point is successful.

Prepare the rain...

My men on the right wall are attacked by the superior militia hoplites, plus peppering from militia cav. They route almost immediately, and with no support, are doomed.

I rush my men through the sap point, taking a few casualties fighting through(from towers and militia cav).

I rush my chariots to the town center to draw all of the enemy forces into one battle.

They take the bait:

Hard fighting ensues, and their leader falls:

Many casualties, but no matter. They're easily retrained. They died for a good cause.

I exterminate the resilient population when it refuses to cooperate.

The Seleucids and Armenians have allied together. I guess we know who our next enemy shall be.

We're rich as ever. One of the many pros of an Egyptian campaign.

It's a juicy target. I siege:

Back near Siwa, I send those 3 archer battalions to take care of some rebels.

They consist of a few skirmishers and one archer unit.

Grab the high ground and open fire:

Hopefully these rebels will learn that challenging Ptolemaic arrows is futile.

I leave a few to tell the tale of what happened:

Man of the Hour. I accept.

I open up communication with the Parthia, the nomads of the East. I am able to exchange map info and trade rights, but they are not interested in an alliance.

(EDIT: Lol, the all powerful Seleucid King wants to end the fighting. Generously I oblige if he gives me all his territories. He wasn't too happy about that:

)

I send our elite chariots to deal with a band of rebels.

Two words: Divide. Conquer.

There are no survivors(Well, 1 survivor lol. Someone has to tell the story of no survivors...):

I siege Cyrene:

I forgot to take a picture of the battle screen, but I assault Tarsus:

Archers pepper anyone dumb enough to get near the walls.

A milita hoplite attacks. I surround it, and it routes.

I proceed to the town center from 3 sides, and hard fighting again ensues:

Stupid archer battalion decides it's too "manly" to skirmish. Seleucid spears soon change their minds:

Most casualties are from the Nubians, who are replaceable, and cannon fodder at best.

I enslave the capital. The ultimate insult:

A small Seleucid army can be seen roaming our borders.

I attack a small Seleucid Vessel:

This leaves the sea open for an invasion of Crete. I send a small expeditionary force.

Armenian armies flood our borders. Maybe they want to shake hands and have fun times? You never know.

Regardless, I attack the Seleucid army, with no protest from the Armenians.

Not much too it. Take the high ground, give then some Ptolemaic rain.

No survivors(Really this time lol):

A decent-sized Parthian army approaches our borders. I quickly besiege the rebel city before they can.

I assault Cyrene:

Similar strategy. Pepper with missiles, then move in for the kill.

Some fighting near the town square:

This militia hoplite is not giving up without a fight. It routes one of my Numidians.

I quickly surround them:

The Seleucids are brave, I'll give them that. They hold strong their Greek roots. Still, it's not enough:

I enslave.

And this is where I relieve my duties. Good luck fellow commanders.

[This message has been edited by JrvUnleashed (edited 12-06-2009 @ 08:18 PM).]

posted 05 December 2009 16:41 EDT (US)     13 / 227  
We have received the scepter and forwarded it to Lord Ischenous.
posted 05 December 2009 17:11 EDT (US)     14 / 227  
Received. I'll continue tommorrow.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
posted 06 December 2009 03:02 EDT (US)     15 / 227  
Good work, Jrv.

Pity about the pics. Try using imageshack, I find the layout much simpler. Thumbnails are also easier to use than putting up every image full-size.
posted 06 December 2009 10:27 EDT (US)     16 / 227  
Done.

posted 10 December 2009 18:03 EDT (US)     17 / 227  
I'll get it sent tonight. I'll try and get a write up this weekend.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
posted 14 December 2009 04:30 EDT (US)     18 / 227  
Received and forwarded.

Lord Edorix, you have the scepter.
posted 14 December 2009 09:39 EDT (US)     19 / 227  
OK you guys, let's see how well a Charioteer of the North can lead the Charioteers of the River...
posted 14 December 2009 11:30 EDT (US)     20 / 227  
Sorry I did a poor job in some places, I'm a little rusty

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
posted 15 December 2009 03:47 EDT (US)     21 / 227  
Nah, you were fine.

Please make your update a priority; mine is ready. I won't have time to do any more.
posted 15 December 2009 06:26 EDT (US)     22 / 227  
Scepter received.

And forwarded. Good luck, Lord Selifator!
posted 15 December 2009 12:00 EDT (US)     23 / 227  
Soryy, I got a little siderrtacked. I'll be onto it now.

To be edited.

Edit damn photobucket seems to have deleted my account. I'll make a new one.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)

[This message has been edited by Ischenous (edited 12-15-2009 @ 12:03 PM).]

posted 16 December 2009 06:59 EDT (US)     24 / 227  
When you eventually get your pictures sorted, edit that last post of yours with the update. I won't get another minute to do mine, which is why I'm doing it here, now. Sorry.

--------------------

First up, I land the force under Alexander on Crete, hire a bunch of mercenaries and assault.

Given the odds and the limited amount of time I had to play in, I auto-decide and am rewarded with a victory at the cost of only a few men wounded.

Not sure what to do with the fleet at this point. I left them hanging around on the South side of the island to attempt to shelter them from pirates in the Aegean. I also anticipated an invasion of Rhodes.

Down in the Valley of the Nile, I spend a lot of money building up. I never trust the AI to administrate my settlements, even if my Empire spans 50 provinces.

I was particularly annoyed by the lack of ports on the Mediterranean, and that no-one had bothered to do anything about this blockade of our most important one.

I hired a bunch of mercenaries for the siege of Palmyra.

This army had been standing on the border of Cappadocia, most likely guarding the pass into Cilicia, but I saw no reason to remain there when there are foes ripe for the picking away East.

Our spy infiltrates Sardis.

I am certain the next Overlord of Kings will appreciate some Desert Axemen to strengthen his armies.

I conclude a standard trade agreement and map exchange with Pontus.

My efforts to avoid Cretan pirates were in vain, it seems.

Next turn, I send over an infantry unit from Damascus to push the rams at Palmyra.

The town falls without much of a fight.

Negative income this turn, but it's all for a good cause.

Memphis is at a stage where it may be upgraded to a Large City; perhaps some Pharaoh's Guards will be joining the ranks of our armies soon!

Another son of the desert comes of age: Heruben. What a stupid name.

The population of Tarsus is dangerously low, considering it will soon have to bear the weight either of an invasion of Pontus or the defense against one, so I queue up a number of peasants to send over and disband from Antioch.

The ships in the harbor at Alexandria attack the blockading Seleucids and defeat them.

I send the Cretan fleet back to Crete from where it was driven by the pirate attack.

Perhaps not such a good idea.

A continuing decrease of the treasury, but don't worry guys. The reason for this is because I am building ports and markets to maximise future revenue. And I don't really think there's any cause to worry about finances at this point, do you?

I have sent a couple of chariots from Memphis on a reconnaissance mission to Petra.

Later they can go North and assist in the coming invasion of Assyria.

Ptahotep chases this Seleucid back to Sardis and besieges him there with his pals.

Pirates finally put an end to our Cretan fleet. What could I do? There should be a decent number of ports around soon though, and then we can start churning out fleets like there's no tomorrow.

He's an ugly bastard, and we don't need him. I decline.

The assault on Sardis is a success. The Seleucids remain to be dealt with only in the East.

Disbanding some cheap mercenaries boosts Sardis to the next tier.

Ahah, what did I tell you? All that spending has reaped its benefits. I may not be a great tactician, but I do know how to maximise income. I just don't always choose to worry about it. Plus, in this campaign, it's not exactly hard.

We have captured our third wonder!

Our spy goes down to Halicarnassus to find out how big the garrison is...

--------------------

That's all I had time for.

Selifator, my advice to you is:

-Strengthen Cilicia
-Build up Egypt
-Take Halicarnassus, then Pergamum with the army at Sardis
-Take Rhodes with a new fleet from our heartlands and the army on Crete.
-Begin preparations for an invasion of Assyria.

Not much else you could do, really.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 04-26-2010 @ 09:49 AM).]

posted 16 December 2009 12:30 EDT (US)     25 / 227  
Err, I'll not bother doing my update, it seems we've played the exact same turns.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » RTW Swap game - Egypt
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames