Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: About "Branwen & Taliesin"
posted 15 December 2009 08:39 EDT (US)   
BRANWEN & TALIESIN

~ Edorix Wirocu ~

Image: “Branwen’s Messenger”, Margaret Jones.

Click here for the story thread.

Here is a link to the original tale.

This thread contains all the background information for my story "Branwen & Taliesin". You don't need it in order to follow the tale, but it may help. I strongly recommend that the interested reader read this too.

The story of Branwen daughter of Llyr is told in the Second Branch of the Mabinogion, a series of ancient Welsh legends. Because of this, the Second Branch is also often known as the Mabinogi of Branwen. Originally, the story was passed on by word of mouth, until it was written down in the Middle Ages. Much of the story would have changed by then.

Archaeology at the site where Branwen was allegedly buried – the site in Angelsey known as “Bedd Branwen” - suggests that if the story is based on real events, they date back to about 1500BC. If this is true, then bards and storytellers like us have been telling this story in some form for three and a half thousand years.

But, as I said, in the passage from bard to bard, and due to major cultural changes rendering earlier practices once considered normal now barbaric – most importantly, the conversion of the Britons to Christianity – the story changed. I have tried to alter the parts of this story that do not tie in well with the setting: for instance, the references to London, the Son of God, France... London becomes Dubris or Verlamion, the Son of God becomes various other older gods, France becomes Gaul or even “to the south”; Ireland becomes Ierne or Eriu and Britain becomes Prydain or Albion. I could find no easy substitute for the art of writing, so Branwen’s message to Bendigeidvran is written in Greek letters on a scrap of bark. Other anachronisms such as those listed above I have endeavoured to remove.

I have set my tale around the Second Century BC, in Wales as in the original. I had to allow some mythology and magic to come into play; after all, the story would not be the same without it. This is not just any old retelling though; I have wound in new characters, settings, events and sub-plots to suit myself. Many aspects of the story of Tristan and Isolde, for instance, appear in Parts II and III. In other places I have missed things outthat I deemed unnecessary or simply unwanted. In yet other places I remained very close to the original text, as in Chapter VI. This story has something to offer even to the original bards who knew it off by heart; I have taken a folk tale and turned into a historical fantasy romantic adventure.

I believe that the mediaeval story of Branwen is probably a combination of two much older ideas: one, the story of the girl whose grave is now known as Bedd Branwen, who lived around the mid second millennium BC; two, the vestiges of the concept of the Celtic goddess of love and beauty, Branwen (or something similar: Bronwyn, Bronwina...). With the coming of Christianity, she was no longer wanted as a god, but clung on to along with her once-divine family members (Bran the Blessed, Manawyddan...) as heroes of old. So who the real occupant of the grave was is lost, but a later set of characters took the setting as their own. Make of that you will.

This post has been updated with notes on the tale, its history and its geography, and a translation of the original story for you to compare. I feel a pronunciation guide is unnecessary; most names I have altered slightly so they can be read without prior knowledge of Welsh. Suffice to say that a "dd" is pronounced as "thigh", "th" is pronounced as "the", and "w" is prounced as "Luke".

Final note: Although this tale falls into the category of historical fantasy, it is not aimed at reproducing historical accuracy. The nature of the story and where I have chosen to set it makes that impossible.

PART I:

• Arelicon - A re-Celticisation of the modern Welsh place-name Harlech, where a medieval castle still stands. The sea-line has receded some miles, but at the time of this story still reached right up to the cliffs.

• Taliesin - not the same Taliesin as the bard of legend. He did not exist in the original tale, but in my version he plays an important part.

• Iernian Sea - the Irish Sea.

• Torq - my own spelling of torque, torc, a famous item of Celtic jewellery which eventually came to be associated with the barbarian peoples of most of Europe.

• Catuvellauni - an important tribe of Southeastern Britain, also my own. There is no evidence to suggest that they ever did rule all of Albion - many even think they were a Belgic tribe, and did not even come to Britain before 100BC - but if any tribe ever ruled over all of Albion, it would have been them.

• ...little-used rocky pathway... - much of the geography of this tale I have invented or speculated widely about to suit my purposes.

• ...banner of the Kingdom of Albion... emblem of the Kingdom of Ierne... - both highly stylised.

• Camru - a reconstructed Celtic word for Wales, based on Latin Cambria and modern Welsh Cymru.

• ...Silures... Demetae... - The Silures were the most important tribe of Southern Wales, in the broad vicinity of Cardiff. The Demetae lived in the Southwestern corner.

• Hero's Games - not historically documented. My own invention.

• Radde - a re-Celticisation of Latin Ratae, modern Leicester.

• Brigantian - of the Brigantes, the most populous and one of the most important tribes of Britain, living between Wales, Yorkshire and the future line of Hadrian's Wall. See here.

• Iernian - the ancestor of modern Irish Gaelic. Known to us as Q-Celtic, or Goidelic.

• Prydanic - the ancestor of modern Welsh and Cornish. It is known to us as P-Celtic or Brythonic. It was the common tongue of Albion in the Celtic period. Some detail is given here.

• Arawn - King of Annwn, the Underworld (or the Otherworld - sometimes they are indistinct). The "Avalon" of Arthurian legend comes from the word "Annwn".

• ...had no tattoos... - The Ancient Irish did not paint themselves like the British. See here.

• ...Bendigeidvran Map Llyr... Matholwch Mac Liathan... - "Map" and "Mac" are synonymous in P-Celtic and Q-Celtic respectively, meaning "Son of".

• "I place myself under your protection." - It would be a great dishonor for a lord to turn out a man who thus requested asylum; indeed, it would be almost unthinkable. Patronage was very important in the Insular Celtic world.

• Druidism - a little background information about the Order of the Druids for you (I made it up ).

• Charioteer - a nobleman would drive into battle in his chariot. A chariot bore two; a driver and a warrior. The warrior would be dropped off in the front line of battle and the chariot would retire, but it would return if the nobleman was wounded or killed to pick him up. A charioteer had to be one who had the nobleman's utter confidence.

• Lug - a widely known god of the Celts, sometimes associated with the Roman Mercury. Modern-day Lyons, Lugdunum in France is named after him. Also spelt Lugh.

• Prydain - another name for Albion.

• ...Isca River... - the River Usk (Wysg in Welsh). The fortress mentioned is the later Roman fort of Isca Silurium, modern Caerleon, the Camelot of medieval legend.

• ...tracks through the woods at the mountain-foot near Arelicon... - for this chapter particularly I abandoned real geography in favor of my invented setting.

• ...the oldest of them... the Dark People - this is what you call reconstructed mythology - that is, made up. However, it is based on history, archaeology and Insular folklore.

• ...half-imagined dangers in the Wilderness... - the threat of wild animals was very real in the Ancient World. Bears, in particular, can run, swim, climb and fight better than any man on his own. Boars held a similar reputation for savagery and strength, giving rise to legends such as Twrch Trwyth in Wales.

• Celyddon - the Welsh word for Caledonia, broadly speaking Central Scotland. Calidoni might be a more linguistically accurate name for this period.

• Adberfraw - my half-hearted attempt to reconstruct the Old Celtic name of the modern town Aberffraw.

• Mancwni - from Mancunium, the Latin name for Manchester.

• Seiont - the old name for modern Carnarfon (Latin: Segontium).

• Avon Isca - the Isca River again.

• Vraechvras - from medieval Welsh "Freichfras", meaning Strongarm.

• Demetana - the territory of the Demetae (see above).

• Maiden's Cloak - made up, although certain kinds of ivy were used as contraceptives in the Ancient World. See here.

• Mona - modern Welsh Ynys Mon or Latin Mona Insula. It was the capital of the Druidic religion in antiquity. The land was very fertile, and there were also large groves of sacred trees despite the high population density. Known in English as Anglesey.

• Fraw - a river on Mona. Adverfraw is named after it, as the town is at the embouchute of the river.

• Ordovice - the Ordovices were the dominant tribe of Northern Wales in Antiquity.

• Iernirix - king of Ierne.

• Ultonia - Ulster, Ulaid, in Northern Ireland.

• Cambodunom - probably the most accurate linguistic reconstruction in the tale so far. Roman Cambodunum, modern Slack twenty miles from Manchester in West Yorkshire.

• Cesawn - brythonification of Cesonius, Celtic god of trade.

• Taranis - the equivalent of Jupiter or Thor; the quick-tempered god of storms.

• "... 'm cariad..." - "my love".

• "... rwyf wrth... fy mo... - Dwrawt was going to say "rwyf wrth fy modd i chi": "I love you".

• horses - horses were not just expensive, they were also a sign of prestige and were considered to some degree to be of religious significance.

• ...The chestnut snorts... --> ...it is the only horse left alive in the field. - In Welsh literature, the narrative sometimes slips into the present tense to make a certain passage more vivid. It can be done in colloquial English; for instance: "So I was sitting in the pub, right? And along comes this guy..." In this passage I have tried to replicate this; but the present tense in English the way I have used it also carries a very different feel...

PART II:

• Garganii - a minor tribe living in Gwynedd, Wales.

• Two healthy horses - In the original text it was only one, but my Bendigeidvran is more generous.

• Crochan o Ailenedigaeth - the "Cauldron of Rebirth".

• "...a dwarf..." - In the original tale Llasar was a giant, but I figured we had enough giants already in this story.

• "...the Sidhe..." - or, more correctly, Sídhe; the Elves, as you may remember from Chapter III.

• Setantii - a minor tribe living on the west coast of England, north of Manchester.

• "Noswaith dda..." - "Good evening."

• Carnyn - a brythonification of "Cernunnos", god of animals, animal qualities and king of the forest. He is also my favorite god, and that is why he becomes my protagonist's god, although I actually do not associate myself with Taliesin at all.

• "... tan y cyfnod hwnnw." - my dodgy welsh again. This is supposed to mean "until then". So, in context: "I will probably never see you again, so... until then."

• "...a great stone palace with towers and walkways..." - yes, it's a medieval castle. So shoot me. This is historical fantasy.

• "... circle of white standing stones..." - another invented/ romanticized setting. I confess this is inspired from various scenes from the 2006 film "Tristan and Isolde"... as are a few other elements of this tale, i.e. the entire love-story.

• Taexali - a Caledonian tribe, living in the vicinity of modern Aberdeen, Scotland.

• Emana - capital of the Ultones i.e. Ulster; medieval Emain Macha, modern Navan Fort.

• ... Dumnonia ... Belgana ... Aremorica ... Gallaecia - Cornwall (England), Northern France and the Low Countries, Brittany (France) and Galicia (Spain) respectively.

• inn - there is no evidence for inns in the Celtic World. This is another one of those little elements I borrowed from the Middle Ages.

• Aeire - Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland.

• Novanta - of the Novantae, a tribe of the Scottish Lowlands.

• Rhiannon - a goddess of the hunt.

• Giants' Causeway - according to legend, this "bridge" of basalt columns once linked Ireland to Scotland. See here for more info.

PART III:

• Epidii - a tribe of southwestern Caledonia, around the Firth of Clyde.

• "Dia dhuit ar maidin" - Irish, this time, not Welsh, to represent Goidelic, the Iernian language. It means "good morning".

• ...Novantana... - Erbin had wanted to end up in Epidia, but his geography wasn't very good.

• Maeatae Confederacy... Selgovae, Votadini, Novantae, Carvetii, Corionototae, Damnonii. - broadly speaking, lowland Scotland, the state between the Kingdom of Caledonia and the Kingdom of Albion.

• Morddwyd Tyllion - another name for Bendigeidvran, whose exact meaning is a mystery.

• Manapia - a town in Ierne, documented by Ptolemy. I have also used his name for the Liffy, "Oboca", along with "Lyfaion" which is made up.

• Brigantes, Carvetii, Setantii, Deceangli, Ordovices, Cornovii, Silures, Demetae and Dobunni... Corieltauvi, Catuvellauni, Cantiaci, Bibroci, Ancalites, Segontiaces, Vectiaci, Durotriges and Cenomani. - various tribes of Britain. The Cenomani (Cenimagni in Caesar) are sometimes equated with the Iceni, but I am not inclined to do so.

• Iceni, Trinovantes, Durotriges, Dumnonii and Belgae - independent tribes of southern Albion.

• carnyxes - Celtic war-horns, producing a harsh sound.

• Verlamion - capital of the Catuvellauni tribe. Modern St. Albands.

• Adber Alaw - the modern village of Llandeusant in Anglesey.

EPILOGUE

• Dubris - Dover.

• [This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-15-2010 @ 04:07 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 15 December 2009 09:27 EDT (US)     1 / 1  
    Interesting Edorix. I shall have a look!

EDIT- Oh dear. I forgot about not posting here.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 12-15-2009 @ 09:27 AM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » About "Branwen & Taliesin"
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Total War Heaven | HeavenGames