Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Dutch-Morrocan Wars
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09 August 2010 07:45 EDT (US)   
Hello.
This is a short AAR/War story, that is paticularly random.
It documents the wars between the nations of Morocco and the United Provinces. The first war went between 1719 to 1720 and the rest is yet to be played. Im sorry, but there will be no screenies
It may not be of the best quality
thanks and hope you enjoy

The year was 1719, and the United Provinces was a Monarchy. Led under the powerful fist of Willem V, King of Holland, and the Grand Pensionary (who's name i conveniently forgot) who had been in office for the whole 18 years of monarchy, serving under Willelm IV and Willelm V. The empire was extensively large. In India, the territories of Gurajat and Nerron Kot had been conquered by the VOC, and the city of Goa had been gifted by Portugal to the Netherlands. In the Americas, no land had been lost except Curacao (which was traded to the Portugese for Goa), which was reganed after the defeat of the Portugese by the Spanish. The Leeward islands and Trinidad and Tobago had been added to the territories. The pirates that once raged the seas were no more. Thier guns had fallen silent at the hands of the Dutch. In Europe, Flanders was taken by the Dutch soon after he Revolution, and that was the only addition to the European regions.

In the Strait of Gibraltar, a Dutch fleet was blockading a Spanish trade route. It was under the command of Johan Blijstra, a very prestgious and respected Admiral. One sunny day his lieutenant and second in command came into his office on board his ship, and flagship of his majestys navy, Elswoud. His lieutenant reported that a Moroccan fleet had been sighted. Then the Admiral did one of the strangest things in Dutch history. He ordered him to attack the fleet. The man had never been considered eccentric, and it is still not known today why he did it. He did not have authorization from any of the higher authorities, but he did it. His lieutenant was hesitant. He asked if he had authorization from the naval board. He lied and said yes. He siad he had been sent orders to attack Moroccans months ago. The liutenant was still hesitant, until the Amiral shouted at him to issue the orders. The lieutenant sighed after he left the room. Maybe the Admiral did not know what he was getting into......

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
War without France would be like... World War II- Unknown
Researcher for Dark Ages: Roman Revival (now i have something to be proud of lol)
Replies:
posted 10 August 2010 08:15 EDT (US)     1 / 30  
Looking good.

posted 10 August 2010 08:49 EDT (US)     2 / 30  
The First Engagement
The first engagement occured on June the 21st 1719, and was a one sided affair. The Moroccans did not know what was happening when they sighted Dutch ships. Then they heard cannons being fired, and obviously assumed the worst. One of their Light Glleys peeled off, obviously to send for reinforcements, since the Port was nearby. The Lieutenant stepped up to the Admiral.'Theyve gone for reinforcements, sir'The Lieutenant said. The Admiral then broke into a crying fit and colapsed to the floor, pounding the wood. He is acting strange thought the lieutenant. Two seamen dragged him below decks. They approached the Galley's rapidly. A Fifth rate in the fleet, St Paulus, engaged the Galleys first. With its first wave of cannon fire, a Galley exploded. Pieces splattered all over the deck of the Elswoud. 'God Dammit to hell!' Yelled the lieutenant. This is just what he needed. An Admiral as mad as the King of Spain and a Ship with discarded wood all over the deck. The Elswoud went into combat. Within ten minutes, there were only two Galleys left. The others had either sunk or had surrendered. The St.Paulus had sustained damage. The other two Galleys were discarded quickly. But then the lieutenant saw something in the dstance. Moroccan reinforcements......

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
Researcher for Dark Ages: Roman Revival (now i have something to be proud of lol)
posted 10 August 2010 10:15 EDT (US)     3 / 30  
Looking good indeed
posted 11 August 2010 04:26 EDT (US)     4 / 30  
But not very impressive reinforcements. A Fifth Rate Admirals flag ship trailed by three normal Galleys. The Lieutenant mad the signals to the other ships to attack head on and engage the Fifth rate, while the two sloops and the Fluyt of the fleet destroy the 4 gun Galleys. The Elswoud and the St.Paulus plus another Fifth Rate engaged the Flagship. Since the sloops and the Fluyt were only going half sail the Fifth Rates arrived first. The Elswoud found herself in a good position to fire at a Galley and the Flagship. Both rounds of fire were successful. Soon sfter the Sloops and Fluyt arrived and chased off the Galleys, but the Moroocan Flagship was being stubborn. The St.Paulus had gained more damage but with one last round of fire the Moroccan Flagship started routing. The Lieutenant ordered that a Sloop chase it down while the rest of the fleet catch up, so when the Sloop stopped the Flagship it would be easy pickings. But no need. The other Fifth Rate fired upon it and soon the White flag was flying over the whole Moroocan fleet.
PS: Can anyone Tell me how to put this AAR in my sig?

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

[This message has been edited by RomulusofEpirus (edited 08-11-2010 @ 04:28 AM).]

posted 11 August 2010 05:06 EDT (US)     5 / 30  
Copy and paste this code into your sig:
[URL=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,8832,0,365]The Dutch-Moroccan Wars[/URL]

That shows up like this:
The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

You can also change the link colour:
[URL=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,8832,0,365][color=red]The Dutch-Moroccan Wars[/color][/URL]

So:
The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

posted 12 August 2010 05:16 EDT (US)     6 / 30  
i copied and pasted but it didn't work

After the battle, the two Sloops were left to oversee the reinforcement fleet. They let the ships sink slowly. The rest of the fleet headed back towards the original fleet. All the surviving members of the Light Galleys were taken prisoner, to be used for ransom. They were all packed into two small Galleys which would accompany the fleet. The only major damage that had been dealt was cannon damge to the St.Paulus. The lieutenant took control of the fleet after the battle, although they tried to let the Admiral out of his office, but he ended up jumping of the side of the Elswoud. He was barely rescued. They remained in the same spot for a month, until a Merchant ship arrived with a Dutch official aboard. He ordered them back to Amsterdam, and said that the Admiral would be hung when he arrived back. But no Peace Treaty was signed with Morocco. about 7 months later, the ship sighted another Moroccan fleet. They were just off the coast of Portugal, and it was blockading their trade route. The lieutenant ordered that they should attack this fleet. The battle took place on the 13th of April 1720. The commanding officer for the Moroocans was one Jahan Madani. The commanding officer for the fleet of the Dutch was officially Johan Blijstra, but it was actually commanded by Henrik Coen (the lieutenant).
To be continued.....

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
posted 12 August 2010 08:51 EDT (US)     7 / 30  
Too bad there aren't any screenies but it's fun to read
posted 13 August 2010 04:40 EDT (US)     8 / 30  
The battle started with the St.Paulus plunging into battle. This would turn out to be a bad idea later, as she was heavily damaged. The St.Paulus took a couple of Galleys out with minimal fuss before the Elswoud and the rest of the fleet arrived. But the St.Paulus was torn apart by the sheer size of the fleet. ten 4 gun ships aiming directly at you when you are already damged is a serious situation. It started to withdraw. What an embarrasment this would be for the officer of that ship if he survived! Running away from Galleys is not honourable. Then the St.Paulus began to slowly sink. A Sloop, Leiden, rushed to pick up the survivors. But then, with a shock, it started to sink too. By then there were only two or three Galleys left and they were quickly desposed of by the Fluyt Oud Naarden. Jahan Madani was killed in the crossfire. All the Galleys were surrendered, and the battle was won by the Dutch. But at what cost?

Return to the Netherlands.
Upon the return to the Netherlands, Johan Nlijstra was quickly trialled, and the Minister for the Navies hoped he would be hung, but he was put in a home for the mentally ill. Henrik Coen took control of the fleet. He was 28 when he became an Admiral. The same age as Blijstra. Would there be a curse of the Admirals?
A peace treaty was signed with the Moroccans, but a Dutch Diplomat was found dead in Portugal some months later. The same diplomat that signed the treaty with the Moroccans. But the Dutch Goverment did not label the death suspicious. The First Dutch Moroccan war was over.
Coming up next The Second Dutch-Moroccan war 1724-1728

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

[This message has been edited by RomulusofEpirus (edited 08-28-2010 @ 03:26 AM).]

posted 02 September 2010 08:21 EDT (US)     9 / 30  
Cool...
Erm... I only wrote this so you could write some more, since I'm nice.
posted 03 September 2010 05:07 EDT (US)     10 / 30  
Thanks Liam. If you ever need anything, just ask.
The Second Dutch Moroccan War
1724-1728
The year was 1724. Johann Blijstra was still in control of the Fleet. He was a well liked Admiral, and not even the slightest bit crazy. The Flagship of the Fleet was still the Elswoud, but it was no longer the largest ship in the navy. It had been replaced by the Eendracht (it also had (1615) (Unity) behind it. Anyone know why?) a 58 gun Fourth Rate ship of the line. The war officially began on July the 16th 1724. Some of the reasons war broke out included the mysterious death of a diplomat in Portugal many years ago. Also, there were rumours that the Sultan of Morocco referred to Wilem V as a Dutch Pig and many other unsavoury things. Not much occured in the first year of war. The Main Moroccan fleet stationed itself near a key Dutch trade route, blockading it. The Morocccans had no way to avoid a battle with the Dutch as if they didn't move the Dutch could attack, and if they did move the Dutch could catch up to them.

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
posted 09 September 2010 07:13 EDT (US)     11 / 30  
Thou hast asked for a reply, and thou havest received. May the SPAM god forever rain holy jam upon you, for you do his work.
posted 09 September 2010 19:40 EDT (US)     12 / 30  
Actually, the thing is that if i have to ask people to comment nobodies reading.
i will, for now, end this war story.

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
posted 10 September 2010 06:35 EDT (US)     13 / 30  
Actually, you will find that a majority of the registered users don't comment, and most of the rest reading it aren't registered users.
posted 10 September 2010 23:13 EDT (US)     14 / 30  
Youre probably right.
I did say 'for now', so it think i will just leave it a while.

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
posted 12 September 2010 08:45 EDT (US)     15 / 30  
I have just read it RomulusofEpirus, I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately people do tend to just read a story or AAR and only a small majority ever comment. However, a gift bestowed upon me by the red in my name, I can tell you that this thread has had 373 pageviews. So people are indeed reading it.

Maybe add a screenshot or two to spice things up!

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 12 September 2010 19:50 EDT (US)     16 / 30  
Thats definentley inspired me.
im having a look at fraps right now.

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
posted 12 September 2010 20:32 EDT (US)     17 / 30  
This is really,really good!Waiting anxiously for the next post.

"Quem perdoa é Deus.Nós estamos aqui para adiantar o encontro com Ele."
BOPE Commander when asked what they would do with the Drug Dealers.
posted 13 September 2010 04:01 EDT (US)     18 / 30  
This might work...
ive finally got fraps, took some screenies, now the tricky part is uploading them....

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

[This message has been edited by Aftermath (edited 09-13-2010 @ 02:31 PM).]

posted 13 September 2010 14:43 EDT (US)     19 / 30  
Romulus, I edited the above post to make the screenshot visable. The forum has a maximum size limit when posting a picture of 100kb, if it exceeds that it'll look like this when you post it;

[JPEG, (193.10 KB)]

However, there is a way around it that also keeps your AAR looking very neat and tidy;
[url=http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/Empire2010-09-1315-34-48-86.jpg][img]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1315-34-48-86.jpg[/img][/url]
[/url]

As you can see from the code, it looks real complicated but not really that hard. You put the original link to the picture in as if making a link, by using url=, between the url code, you need to put in the image using the img tags. To get this smaller 'thumbnail' image either right-click the pictures in your gallery on Photobucket (right where you upload them) and select 'copy image location'. Either do that or add th_ to the start of the image name in the first link you posted.

Also, try renaming the screenshots you upload to more manageable names, like Dutch-Morrocan1, Dutch-Morrocan2 etc. That way you won't get all confused when adding in the th_.

Do all of this and your screenshots will come out like so;

Do you follow me?

A f t y

A A R S

posted 13 September 2010 19:54 EDT (US)     20 / 30  
yes, thanks for the tip.
I'm going to grab a few screenies from the game now.

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
posted 14 September 2010 04:21 EDT (US)     21 / 30  
Ok, im just going to do an overview of the current situation in the world (with screenies )
In Europe, the situation is much the same as it normally is. Amsterdam and Flanders are mine, a unified nation.
[url=http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-44-56.jpg]
India. My lands there are much the same, with Ceylon Goa Nerron Kot and Gurajat under my control
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-59-29-79.jpg]
America. Wiping out the pirates turned out to be a good idea, as i could use some os the extra islands as part of deals for alliances and such things.
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Antilles.jpg]
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Tobago.jpg]
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-59-36-66.jpg]
Now on to Goverment. Filippus Proters leads a magnificent party that has never been beaten in 23 years in an election. In 1724 they had 80% popularity. Willem IV leads the country as a figurehead only. He has secured an heir to the throne, having a teenaged son who will become Willem VI.
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-01-61.jpg]
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-14-73-1.jpg]
Diplomacy. The same strong alliances remained. France and Spain continued their alliance, adding a few Italian States to their alliance. United Provinces and Great Britain reamined strong, with Austria now a full member. I was at war with the Mughal Empire (or republic now) and of course, Morocco.
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-59-92.jpg]
I tried to do thumbnails but it said that the link wasn't allowed. I did th_
I must be dumb or something.]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-44-56.jpg]
India. My lands there are much the same, with Ceylon Goa Nerron Kot and Gurajat under my control
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-59-29-79.jpg]
America. Wiping out the pirates turned out to be a good idea, as i could use some os the extra islands as part of deals for alliances and such things.
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Antilles.jpg]
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Tobago.jpg]
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-59-36-66.jpg]
Now on to Goverment. Filippus Proters leads a magnificent party that has never been beaten in 23 years in an election. In 1724 they had 80% popularity. Willem IV leads the country as a figurehead only. He has secured an heir to the throne, having a teenaged son who will become Willem VI.
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-01-61.jpg]
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-14-73-1.jpg]
Diplomacy. The same strong alliances remained. France and Spain continued their alliance, adding a few Italian States to their alliance. United Provinces and Great Britain reamined strong, with Austria now a full member. I was at war with the Mughal Empire (or republic now) and of course, Morocco.
[url]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/Naupactus/th_Empire2010-09-1407-58-59-92.jpg]
I tried to do thumbnails but it said that the link wasn't allowed. I did th_
I must be dumb or something.
[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]]
now ive edited four times. I give up. don't even bother helping, i don't want to waste any more of your time.[/url]

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

[This message has been edited by RomulusofEpirus (edited 09-19-2010 @ 08:01 AM).]

posted 19 September 2010 06:21 EDT (US)     22 / 30  
Romulus, you're getting there but you but the th_ right at the start of the image code! It's supposed to go near the end, right before the actual picture name you're trying to post. I edited the first image in your post, use the 'edit post' button to see how I did it and work it into the code of the others

A f t y

A A R S

posted 21 September 2010 19:51 EDT (US)     23 / 30  

booyah! it worked. I will have an update up on the weekend.

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

[This message has been edited by RomulusofEpirus (edited 09-21-2010 @ 07:53 PM).]

posted 25 September 2010 03:56 EDT (US)     24 / 30  

The morining was foggy, and cold. From the Elswoud, the rest of the fleet was hard to see. Henrik Coen stood on deck. A victory in todays battle would mean Moroccans waters would be theirs to control, and they could raid the Port of Morocco, and make an invasion of Morocco much easier. He kept a sharp eye out for the Moroccans. No sign. Suddenly, his lieutenant ran up to him, almost tripping over himself in the process. Coen smiled in the memory of when he was a young, clumsy lietenant. The two men shared a swift salute. 'Sir, the Moroccan prisoners in the Galley become restless' the lieutenant said 'They could disrupt our battle'. Coen turned around to face the foggy ocean. 'Leave them. They know they have no chance of escape. They know our victory is inevitable' Coen said. The lieteanant did not look assured, and Coen thought he was not telling him the whole story. But he had to watch the sea, and stay on Deck to issue commands. After a short while the lieutenant nodded and hurried away. Coen realised the fog was thinning. Within ten minutes it was completely gone. In place of the fog in front of the fleet, there sailed the Moroccan ships. Coen smiled as the deck filled with sailors ready to fight.

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars

[This message has been edited by RomulusofEpirus (edited 09-25-2010 @ 03:57 AM).]

posted 25 September 2010 07:36 EDT (US)     25 / 30  
Romulus when you said you'd have an update I thought there'd be at least one battle in there!

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

A f t y

A A R S

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » The Dutch-Morrocan Wars
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames