Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Seleucid Migration AAR
posted 14 August 2012 22:30 EDT (US)   
First off, hello! I'm new here, but I suppose I'll be jumping into this with a splash, because honestly, I couldn't wait to add my take to some of the ideas I've seen around here.

I bought this game the day it came out, and have been playing it pretty regularly ever since, but it never once occurred to me to try something like a migration, or defensive campaign, or even house rules. As you may expect, playing by the rules for the better part of the past decade has made it feel pretty stale. But I saw some of your strategy guides to playing off the beaten track, read Subrosa's Scythia defense AAR as well as many others, and had to join in.

I want to try something that neither I, nor anybody else I've seen so far, has done. So, I present to you;

Seluspania AAR
Objectives:
1) Must eliminate Spain, Gaul, Brittania, Germania, Scythia, Numidia, and Carthage
2) Take minimum 50 provinces and Rome
Restrictions:
- None of the 50 provinces may be from any part of Alexander's Empire (Greece, Egypt, Asia Minor, Arabia).
- No aggressive war against any faction which was an heir to that Empire (Greece, Macedon, Pontus, Armenia, Egypt, Parthia).
- No aggressive war against Helenic influenced factions (Rome, Thrace, Dacia) until factions listed in first objective have been eliminated.

Vanilla RTW, M/M (I'm a little rusty, and I'm trying something I had never even thought of doing until about a week ago, cut me some slack).

The plan is to completely abandon all of Selucia's beginning provinces and move to the Iberian Peninsula, and from there go after my objectives. The recommendations for migrations were all moving good yet remote factions into the heart of the action, so I immediately thought to do the opposite (it's still somewhat justified, as Selucia is so spread out to begin with, taking Spain would consolidate it). Then I got to thinking, why? How could I make this seem historically reasonable? You may be able to get the idea from my conditions, but read on and I'll RP it out.

-----------------------------------------------

Journal of Antiochus I, King of the Seleucid Empire

An apparition has been haunting my dreams, the spectre of a man I never knew but in whose shadow I have lived my entire life. Perhaps I am growing old and mad. The world will most certainly judge me as such.

In my dreams, Alexander stands before me and all of the other Diadochi, scowling, ready to release his fury upon us. None of you are my heir, he countenance seems to radiate. Each in turn tries to satiate his anger by showing him their accomplishments and plans. The Ptolemaids step forth and present the riches of the Nile, and exclaim how they will reunite the Empire. He scoffs at them. The Greeks show the prowess of their phalanx by pushing down an oak tree, and promise to liberate his birthplace. He dismisses them with a contemptuous gesture. The Macedonians display their prowess on horse and promise to bring glory to his homeland again. He rebukes them and says they are no countrymen of his. He looks at me expectantly.

I awake in a cold sweat. The dream reoccurs each night.

Perhaps it is not the deed which makes a man great, but the idea which inspired the deed.

I dream again, the same dream. Alexander glares into my soul. On impulse, I begin drawing a map in the sand at my feet. Alexander approaches and watches. I outline the barbarian lands of Hispania, Gaulia, Africa, those nations which have never seen Hellenic culture. I make an arrow, leading from my lands to those far across the Mediterranean. He contemplates for a moment, then laughs out loud, smiling broadly. To repeat history is not great, to change it is, he says. Let the whole world know of Hellenic glory, worry not about the lands which know me already.

I awake again. The world may call this decision mad, but it will also call it the point where the course of history changed forever. The Hellenic civilization will expand to the corners Alexander never reached.

I survey my lands;

It is time to muster the forces and prepare to depart these lands. My sons do not understand, but they will follow and learn. A new son joins me in my venture;

But the vultures do not even wait for us to leave before swooping in;

The garrison sallies forth, to make a break for the sea and the boats awaiting to take us across the world;

The peasants serve as fodder to keep their spear formation locked in place, while our spears flank them.

Not quite what we planned, but they are flanked nevertheless while my son routes their archers. Never trust peasants. For anything.

Only an Egyptian would be so dense as to stand still while they are flanked from three sides.

A small victory, yet still worthy of Alexander’s legacy.

More vultures appear.

But the Sardis garrison arrives to take Crete as a gathering point for our other forces.

A quick rush destroys the archers while militia claim the town.

And the reinforcements will arrive too late to save this rebel captain.

Another victory.

Crete is ours.

Myself and the might of the Seleucid Empire board the boats to meet them there.

The vultures pounce.

We must abandon them to their fate. The course I have chosen is not an easy one to bear.

Particularly when the entire world seems to conspire against me. Not only do pirates threaten our journey, but the Macedonians do as well.

Though, apparently, all they wanted were trade rights. I find it hard to believe, but accept.

Belatedly, I realize that several of my sons were left home alone. We will need to build another fleet for them to carry them to Hispania, where we will be waiting.

-----------------------------------

Journal of Aristarchus I, Second King of the Seleucid Empire

My father, the King, has died at sea, only months away from seeing the shores he sought to bring the light of Hellenic culture to. I should have liked to see his face when he beheld the coast of Africa… perhaps it would have inspired the same zeal in me.

I cannot help but feel critical of this path my father has chosen. The soldiers, and some of my brothers, called him mad behind his back. I agree, but would not say so where some may hear. I have a nasty man following me around writing my life’s story, I should hate for that to feature in it. But it is pointless to reconsider now; word comes from home that there is no going back now.

We reach the shores of Africa. We will not stop here.

I suppose the Armenians did not want Hatra. Perhaps they thought we had a better reason than madness for leaving it.

Not very friendly of them.

They say ‘keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.’ I honestly have no clue what the Macedonians consider us.

We give away Tarsus to our friends in Pontus, to keep it out of Egyptian hands, which seem to grow ever more ambitious.

I split the fleet, against my father’s plans, so that we may secure the Balearics as well as Corduba at the same time. The Corduba bound fleet find our future enemy.

The rear-guard, bringing two of my nephews, is attacked by Egyptians and barely survives, while the Macedonians amass. Given their recent trend, I expect them to offer to become our protectorate any day now.

I arrive outside Palma and lay siege.

But terrible news arrives; my nephews now rest at the bottom of the sea, slain ignobly by our persistent foes. I swear that I shall never sail again.

I have also sworn to never again leave an enemy alive behind me. None of these men will survive the day.

The battering ram arrives at the walls.

I storm in and leave nothing alive.

Soon after, the other army arrives outside Corduba… only to find that Hispania got there first.

I live up to my promise of never setting foot on boat again, and board all troops save myself and a single unite of militia hoplites on the ships. Their next target, Osca. If we have to fight the Spanish for the rights to Corduba, we might as well attack them at their homes as well.

They arrive and wait in the woods, not to ambush so much as to keep hidden and retain tactical initiative.

A fortunate decision, because the Spanish have been repelled, and I need not start a war… yet.

I underestimate Egypt’s tenacity again; they have chased us to the far corner of the world… and defeated us in a naval battle again, just off the coast of Palma. I am fortunate that I moved my army off the island as quickly as I did, we would be stranded now had we not.

So kind of the Spanish to soften up the garrison for us.

We attack from two sides.

Their general strays near the walls, where he is met by javelins.

The fight in the square. Without hope, the Carthaginian charges the phalanx. While thus engaged, he is taken from behind by my brother Alexander. This flag would not remain raised long.

We emerge victorious.

I hereby declare the end of the Seleucid Empire. Long live Seluspania, Hellene’s light in the West!

[This message has been edited by AKBK (edited 08-15-2012 @ 01:20 AM).]

Replies:
posted 15 August 2012 04:53 EDT (US)     1 / 21  
nice ideas!

i will follow this one closely also nice writing the diarys of the rulers

Rome 2 is coming
celebrate with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZIPeGN7CPQ
posted 15 August 2012 17:40 EDT (US)     2 / 21  
I love the story element you put in your campaign. I've always sympathized with the Seleucids, I'm definitely gonna give this migration a try.
posted 18 August 2012 00:10 EDT (US)     3 / 21  
This is looking intriguing. Bring word of the glory of Alexandros to the ignorant barbarians!
Also, I like the idea of capturing Crete as a waypoint, clever.

Ask the experienced rather than the learned.
We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca
Throw your soldiers into positions whence there is no escape, and they will prefer death to flight. If they will face death, there is nothing they may not achieve.
- Sun Tzu

You can get more with a gun and a kind word than you can with just a kind word- Al Capone

[This message has been edited by Baalite (edited 08-18-2012 @ 00:11 AM).]

posted 19 August 2012 20:28 EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Thanks for replying, I'm enjoying the campaign, and oddly enough given that I used to always auto-resolve, the battles as well. I'm having some wierd glitches where they don't like obeying my commands, and even tend to start withdrawing randomly instead, but outside of that I'm enjoying it a lot. Doing this writeup helps, but fighting the battles myself makes me feel much more engaged in the story.

I wish I could claim the Crete thing as my own, but that was suggested in Sassenach's Migration guide.

I've played the campaign up to my next update point, so I'll get the pics into jpg format, upload them, write, and hopefully have part two up for you fellas later today.

--------------------------------------
Journal of Aristarchus I, First King of Seluspania

My first grey hair came in today. 50’s not so bad an age, particularly when living in a nice little villa in the Balearics. I’m nearly the age my father was when he embarked on his mad quest, and yet I have only begun to see the course this will take. The Seleucid Empire we left is no more, though some towns remain loyal to us back at home. This new Kingdom is to be our focus. I sometimes still sign the official documents as the Seleucid Empire on accident. It is not easy.

But Hispania is not yet ours; two other barbarian tribes have holdings on the peninsula. Osca still awaits Demetrius, my younger brother and heir to my new throne.

As I hoped, they are caught by the surprise attack on two fronts, and have but a minor garrison in the town to resist us.

Their numbers are thinned further by our militia cavalry, who also pave the way for our ram.

Seluspania continues to grow.

There is no time for rest, and the army proceeds south to Carthago Novo. Only speed can save us from debt.

Meanwhile, news comes from home that Hatra is besieged again. I still recall the town from when I marched through it, leading troops to the transports built in Antioch. I wonder how long the people of that town shall remember me.

It is difficult for me to not look back, but Demetrius prefers to replace each lost town with a new one.

Carthago Novo is, again, caught unprepared.

A short fight in the square removes another barbarian warlord.

Meanwhile, Alexander moves to take Scallabis.

Who, like their compatriots on the Eastern seaboard, are thoroughly unprepared for the might of the Seleucids.

The hardest fighting took place in the Eastern gatehouse, where Alexander only planned to enter with a flanking party.

Nevertheless, the conclusion of the battle was a foregone decision.

Gaul does not appear willing to suffer the same fate. Already they are coming through the mountain passes to reinforce Numantia. Demetrius leaves Carthago Novo to hold the Pyrenees. Hearing such a good, Hellenic name for a mountain range fills me with pride for my forbearers. May this name be forever remembered, rather than whatever, surely ugly and guttural name the natives have for them.

Their forces in Numantia are similarly prepared for war. Will they remain on the defensive, or will they attack? I imagine the former, given their ongoing war with Rome, but we cannot rule out any possibility.

Alexander continues his warpath, heading for the last of Hispania’s cities. A small force blocks his way.

And is dispatched handily.

The road to Asturica lies open.

One question has been answered; Gaul would rather take the offensive.

They run when confronted by Demetrius, but their friends trying to sneak by Osca hold their ground.

They are destroyed for their bravado. The leader, Meriodoc, escapes Demetrius’ wrath. Perhaps I should not worry so about past defeats and the legacy of leaving enemies behind us, but his escape galls me. I feel we have not seen the last of him.

Our man back in Asia Minor sends word that the Ptolemaids have accepted his offer of ceasefire. I don’t trust them, no matter how far apart we may be, but for now it will serve.

Osca remains under threat from the Gauls.

Demetrius remains more than able to handle them. I let him command the fight without sending special orders from my villa on these islands.

Out east, Alexander’s siege of Asturica has starved the town out. The barbarians inside sally forth in an act of desperation. The entire royal family, if it can be called such when they don’t know the meaning of the word ‘bathe,’ rides out.

Our hoplites surround the entrance, while Alexander and his cavalry secure their flanks lest they ride out another gate and attempt to flank the phalanx.

The power of an organized force proves to be too much for their king. He lies dead on the spear of a common soldier; this is the power of civilization.

The Spaniards cannot breach our defences, and the siege is maintained.

The malnourished survivors surrender days later. The town is put to the sword, and the last of their barbarian culture exterminated.

Only one town remains to call all of Iberia our own; Numantia. First, the Gauls near Osca need to be chastised.

Despite engaging in battle, they run after only token harrying from militia cavalry. Meriodoc again… running again.

They regroup with their friends and attempt to come through the Pyrenees again.

Despite all attempts at pulling them out of formation, they stand put. Many die by our javelins while the rest of the army marches forward to meet them in hand to hand combat.

And when they do, it does not end well for them. Their leader attempts to escape, but is run down like a craven.

In a long and decorated career, this battle may be one of Demetrius’ best. He is surely a worthy heir.

The many men who fought and survived the battle spread news, while we hear that the Gauls now consider the area cursed.

The men have also given my brother a nickname. He seems to like it.

So rather than fight in the mountains, the Gauls move to attack the walls of Osca.

But if I have learned anything in the past years, it is not to underestimate Demetrius.

Rome, seeing our war with Gaul, decide it best to begin opening up a dialogue between themselves and our new kingdom.

Bad news comes as well; the last of our homeland is now gone, fallen into the hands of ungrateful rebels. It is sobering to know that I have no home left. This place, Iberia, is a conquest, a territory taken by force, and no matter what we call it, is no home for me.

The rest of my family seems to not let this slow down their conquests. A siege is laid on Numantia.

Perhaps that diplomat was not sent for trade after all.

Assuming that Rome would not land an army to say hello (apparently that is a Macedonian practice), I send the order to take Numantia as soon as possible so that we can consolidate our forces and prepare to defend Osca from Rome. However, the decision is taken from us when Meriadoc and the Numantia garrison sallies forth to try to pincer our army between two forces.

Their plans fail, spectacularly so, as the Numantia garrison force is completely destroyed, and only fragments of the other pincer survive. Meriadoc is also finally caught and executed. That is one less worry for my old heart.

Numantia laid empty, and Alexander rode in in triumph, with a torch in hand.

Not to be outdone, Alexander’s men coin a name for their leader as well. Creativity is not their strongest point.

Alexandros stays to pacify Numantia, while Kassandros rides west to prevent the Roman threat.

He found a band of rebels holding the bridge.

The rabble are removed with a single headlong charge.

My informers within the army tell me that the brigands were no better than peasants, armed only with sticks and fists. They moreover say that there were roughly 3 score of them. Kassandros, however, reported back that he singlehandedly attacked an enemy of several hundred, heavily armed, Gallic loyalists and destroyed them to a man. I sincerely hope history remembers the former version, but I hear that word on the streets supports the latter.

Regardless, the way is now clear to reinforce Osca. Iberia is now ours to hold and protect... against whatever may come.

[This message has been edited by AKBK (edited 08-20-2012 @ 01:50 AM).]

posted 20 August 2012 10:00 EDT (US)     5 / 21  
May all of spain eat Seluecid salad!
(great AAR, loving the story)
posted 21 August 2012 01:26 EDT (US)     6 / 21  
I love the Seleucid Empire, i play as them as often as i can. now this makes me want to finish my current campain with them even faster so i can try this.
posted 23 August 2012 19:10 EDT (US)     7 / 21  
If any of you try something similar, I'd love to hear about it, see if our experiences differ much in the play.

I'll update this when I can, right now RTW is occassinally having some pretty serious crashes when it tries to move from battle map to campaign map. I'm trying to isolate the problem and fix it, but I'll probably just do a reinstall soon. Thanks for your patience.
posted 23 August 2012 21:09 EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Good luck! I hope you fix the problem soon and continue this AAR.
posted 24 August 2012 16:39 EDT (US)     9 / 21  
This is very interesting and your approach is rather nice.

Based on my experience, I would suggest you get prepared on Crete. If the Player takes control of it, the Scipii start pumping out troops at you like there's no tomorrow.

Good luck, and may the Gods favor you in the field of battle!

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
posted 28 August 2012 13:06 EDT (US)     10 / 21  
Liking the point of view AKBK. Seleucids are my favourite Civ in Rome and I adore migration campaigns so I'll be following this one

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 28 August 2012 13:39 EDT (US)     11 / 21  
This is going well.

Hail, Seluspania!

May thy glory shine across the histories!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 11 September 2012 18:25 EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Fortunately I wrote this all up about the same time the forums went down, so I had the word file as a backup.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it (either for the first or second time), and will help me consider the question at the end.

--------------------------------

Journal of Demetrius, Crown Prince of Seluspania

I defied my brother, the King’s orders for the first time. We’ve had our fights in the past, and I’ve even avoided his couriers once in a while just in case I needed to have an alibi for my actions, but when given orders, I’ve never defied him. Until today. When word of a Roman army reached his islands, he immediately sent back orders to hunker down and wait for reinforcements. All troops were to stay inside Osca; we had to hope that help arrived from Numantia before Rome attacked.

Aristarchus may be a genius, but I know war better than he. For the sake of this land, this kingdom, it’s time to disobey orders.

Rather than take his orders, I sent about half our forces out to guard the bridge to the south. The Romans chose to assault from the north, but now they are stuck against the wall, pinned in by the bridge army which has swung around behind them.

The besiegers become the besieged, and none are left alive.

After some retraining, and uniting the Numantia army with my own, I decide to launch a three-pronged attack; this army, led by Kassandros, will move for Massilia, and then fortify the pass to prevent Rome from leaving the Alps.

A second army, led by myself, will work our way through Gaullia and show these barbarians what it means to be an heir of Alexander.

And finally, the third prong, is a war on the seas. We will cripple Rome’s navy and control the seas, so that they can no longer land troops in Seluspania. They will be forced to use the high mountain passes, where they will meet our hoplites.

Kassandros’ path is interrupted by some brave, but foolhardy Gauls.

He may have exaggerated his first victory against those rebels, but he is proving to be a capable commander.

Right behind him, my army encounters hopeless opposition on our path as well.

I don’t believe that these barbarians have ever seen a phalanx before, because this didn’t end well for the general.

One less Gaullic army.

Journal of Demetrius I, King of Seluspania
These past few years I have run Seluspania as if I were her King, but now to actually be given the throne is… unpleasant. I can’t help but think that my brother, the former King, would have lived longer had I not been insubordinate. He was a brilliant, yet prideful and stubborn man. I may have saved this land, but did I break his spirit?

I devote my full attention to the campaign. Both cities of southern Gaul are besieged by our forces.

The Gauls hope to do to Kassandros, the new Crown Prince, what I did to Rome; pin them against the walls. Unlike my battle, though, the Gauls will have to take the bridge first.

Kassandros sets up his forces at the bridge to await their forces and keep them from creating an anvil.

While Kassandros and his cavalry make short work of the Massilia’s sallying force.

With no hammer, the bridge assault is doomed.

This victory surely will go down in history. Kassandros’ name is now clear, as far as I am concerned.

My third prong is just starting to take form as the Romans attempt to land another army.

While myself and the second prong ready ourselves to fight for Narbo Martius.

The battle goes poorly for Gaul, but several men escape back to the city.

They are removed easily soon afterwards.

More Roman armies appear ready to land.

Unfortunately for them, they did not anticipate their naval dominance being contested.

Two Roman armies meet Poseidon this day.

The third prong has already proved effective, just as the first prong sets up.

Kassandros, headstrong and ambitious, decides he can hold the Alps with only half the force I originally intended. He wants to send the rest to take Lugundum before the Gauls do. Remembering my past with my brother, I let him follow his heart on this.

So far, his plan is working fine.

Meanwhile, the Gauls try to lift a siege again, this time against myself in Lemonum.

They are unable to use my own tricks against me.

The army in Lugundum spies a lone Gaullic warlord wandering around.

He does not fall easily, but fall he does.

The army is now far too small to attempt to move on Alesia, and must retreat to Lugundum to hold our gains.

Our navy has secured the Ligurian Sea, and now moves to block Rome’s ports to keep them honest. And poor.

I continue my frantic pace through Gaul.

Not too bad for 58.

A new corner of the world comes under Hellenic influence.

While in another corner, a newly created army led by Cleitos opens up another front. I worry about overextending our Empire, but I would rather worry about that than continue to worry about the past. If our lands continue to expand, perhaps my brother's spirit will be content in Hades.

More importantly, news from the East confirms that the city of Carthage now lies in Roman hands. If we do not claim this desert, they will. Sure enough, Rome puffs up its chest hoping to scare us.

Perhaps I have been in Barbarian lands for too long, but I surely longed to send the diplomat’s head back to Rome. I settle for an insult.

I am forced to backtrack and leave Alesia for the moment while I deal with Gaullic armies wandering about, raiding and causing havoc.

These men come close, but never reach the finish line.

The west of Gaul is clear and free, opening my path to Alesia.

Our blockade of Rome extends as our navy continues to grow. Our ships maintain a constant choke-hold on their ports, leaving only to sink any passing Roman ship.

Cleitos has prepared his siege equipment and takes up the battle against Numidia.

His first action is not a perfectly orchestrated battle, but any time the enemy King lies dead and his people are marched away in chains is glorious nevertheless.

Kassandros’ gambit of taking half his troops into the Alps is finally tested.

They prepare to defend against the hordes.

I can’t say I never doubted him, but he has certainly vindicated himself. He is a true leader.

The world’s eye is now on Seluspania.

Far away, a wild idea I had comes to fruition; Rhodes once again proves useful. I considered it all but lost when Macedon landed, and my opinion was not reversed by their unexpected offer of alliance. Yet year after year, their troops continued to stand around idly on the island. I gave orders to develop the city’s trade despite the military threat outside the walls. Like flies to a corpse, markets attract shady characters, so I began hiring agents to scope out the war in Greece and Macedon. They are now doing a fine job of sowing discontent in the peninsula, which will hopefully slow down the Roman advance.

In a more practical move, my army reaches Alesia, where they lay siege.

News comes in from the East; the last King of Carthage lies dead.

As my navy grows, so does our blockade. I plan to slowly extend this down the Apennine Peninsula to entirely choke off Rome’s naval dominance in the Western Mediterranean.

The forces of Alesia attempt to sally forth.

Their forces are soon decimated, leaving only stragglers to rush out, see our troops, and run away before even engaging.

I had hoped to leave this city alone to fall another day, but their dogged persistence in running in and out of the gates over and over left me no choice but to just kill them all.

Gaullia is now ours. Numidia is also falling to our might.

I’m left with a difficult decision; where next? While the coast of Africa will soon be ours, I am hesitant to send troops deep into the sands chasing the Numidians just to capture a few small, isolated, and lawless villages. Let the Romans bleed themselves thin capturing and holding them. But I am still not sure of this policy; no general enjoys leaving his flanks open.

Also, I will likely keep my armies in Alesia, since the city acts as the key to the rest of Gaul. Germania and Brittania are engaged in heated battle and likely to ignore us for the moment, and while each will eventually fall to our armies, I have yet to decide which should go first. Their war against one another has depleted both sides, since they have swapped Trier and Samarobriva, a poor trade for each, which has left both vulnerable. One instinct tells me to push east, against Germania, to claim it before they grow too powerful, or worse, before Rome thinks to head through the Northern Alps and gain a foothold. The other instinct tells me to protect my flank by taking Brittania first; raids from the island nation would be a thorn in our side should we ignore them to pursue war in Germania.

I convene a meeting of my advisors, and let them persuade me.
posted 14 September 2012 04:55 EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Hail Demetrius, heir to Alexander, defender of the Hellenic heritage,
Take head to these words and may wisdom guide your hand when you point in the direction where your armies are to grow your empire.

It is true that sending your phalanx to conquer sand would be a waste of your troops. If you fear an open flank; spies scouting the desert would be able to send patrolling horsemen to nip any trouble in the bud.

As your choice for the north east:
Here I would choose to cover your flank first. The blue painted barbarians could easily attack your rear, while your main armies would be engaged in the germanic forests.
Trade from the island would also help to fund your empire.

After that you would be ready for a full challenge for dominance over the mediterenean against the Romans.
posted 16 September 2012 19:35 EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Thanks for the reply TBE, I'll probably do that, will work you into the in character narrative. I'll follow your advice and try to squeeze an update in this week, but I may be a bit pressed for time as I'm packing up for an international move pretty soon. This'll likely mean a few weeks of radio silence (and maybe more, depending on if the Chinese Communist Party thinks that total war heaven is an ideologically subversive forum and blocks it), but I do plan on seeing this to the end.
posted 19 September 2012 11:10 EDT (US)     15 / 21  
Yay you're back! Glad to see your campaign is going well.
posted 28 September 2012 06:24 EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Thanks again for your patience, running a week later than I had hoped, but that happens when you're packing up for an international move. Will be in the air tomorrow, and have Part V up for you from the People's Republic of China.

--------------------------------------

Journal of Demetrius, Second King of Seluspania

The heart of Gaul lies in our hands, and our armies march upon the last (worthwhile) city in Numidia.

He captures the city, and cleans up the remnant Numidian forces.

Cleitos has become our man of the deserts.

With Hispania, Northern Africa, Gaul under our control, and an ongoing blockade of the West side of the Apennine Peninsula, my three forked strategy has accomplished its every goal. Having called a meeting of my advisors to determine our next path, I chose to follow the advice of a wise, old veteran who has served in my bodyguard for some years now; never leave a flank open. We will destroy the barbarians on the island to our north to secure our homelands.

As the armies are being assembled, our African conquests come under attack by the forces of Rome.

Cleitos sends word of their… unorthodox battle formations.

As fits the desert he now calls home, Cleitos is a master of chariots.

The sands drink up the blood of these Romans.

News from afar reaches us that a land who claimed some descent from Alexander has been eliminated.

Our agent in the area confirms that they did not want for money or land; the bloodline ended.

The next summer, the same news reaches us; Greece has perished from this land for want of an heir. While it would be easy to gloat over their demise and taunt the unworthiness of their claims to Alexander’s lineage, Seluspania has new goals.

But as we begin to reach for them, Rome appears again, this time led by one of their most famous generals, a man known as Flavius.

He fared better than his predecessor in these sands, and the battle would have been lost were it not for a thunderous charge from the chariots at the last second, but his fate remained the same.

Tired of sallying forth from the city, Cleitos engages and destroys a small Roman army before it reaches the walls.

While my heir, Kassandros, faces another threat in the Alps.

His forces hold the bridge easily, with the only casualties coming from a group of forester archers.

For his exploits, Kassandros has now earned himself a variety of nicknames.

Rome attacks again.

And again Cleitos leaves their bones among the dunes.

---------------------------------------------------------
Journal of Kassandros, Third King of Seluspania
They call me the Infantryman. I’ve been living in the wilderness holding this bridge with naught but a few militia hoplites and some mercenary archers for many years, nearly the greater part of my life, so they call me an Infantryman. But they also call me this because, like the battle-hardened, crude, simple, and boisterous foot soldiers I command, I don’t brook much nonsense.

Among my first policies to enact as King of this land is to reign in my family. Many have grown bloated and depraved in their cities, turning formerly barbarian villages into Greek pleasure palaces. This must stop now. I command one of the greatest offenders, a brother-in-law by the name of Aristoxenus, to clean out a rebel infestation he has long let slide.

He fell from his horse in the first charge and broke his neck.

His bodyguard went on to chase out the rebels without him.

Of course, the rumors spread quickly that I made an example of him, that I had him assassinated and blamed it on a horse. I am not sad for his passing, and did plan to make an example of him, and feel this is a fine example, but did not plan it. I’m just an infantryman. Of course, when I sent a man to bribe the city of Samarobriva to join us, the rumors only got worse. I just wanted a better port to invade Brittania from, a very infantry-like opinion.

Cleitos meets another Roman army in Africa.

The fields are bathed in blood again.

Our army touches down in Brittania.

A recently conquered Roman city revolts to its previous owners. I would not claim to have had any role in this, but I might have.

We meet the barbarian hordes.

It is the first time we face chariots in an opposing army.

They each take their toll, but Helenic might takes the day.

Meanwhile, my new heir, Paterinos, a self-made man adopted into the family who I’ve taken a liking to for his straightforward ways, encounters rebels on route to the blue barbarians’ mainland holdings.

And in the deserts, a small force of Numidians appear outside Tingi.

A few mercenaries later, they are dealt with.

Cirta also finds itself under attack, again by the Romans.

Their leaderless armies are like sheep being led to the slaughter.

Paterinos reaches the village of Trier. While our agents stand ready to open the gates, he chooses wisely to lay siege. They may lack the civilized training necessary to form a phalanx, but there is still no reason to fight 800 spearman in city streets when you can make them come to you.

A Roman whelp comes into our lands looking for glory.

He departs our lands on Charon’s ferry.

The spears come forth.

And are utterly destroyed. Paterinos claims the city center himself, and exterminates the population.

On the island front, Seluspanian armies move to claim the Eastern half.

Their sally proves fatal.

Leaving only their leader left in the city.

Our forces are overwhelming.

And their heir falls without blood on his blade.

Immediately the army moves on to its next conquest; the faster the better when it comes to leaving an enemy dead.

Again there is only token resistance to our warpath.

The barbarian tribes of Brittania are defeated, and their lands unified under Helenic, and Seluspanid rule. Hail Seluspania!
posted 28 September 2012 07:25 EDT (US)     17 / 21  
Good action, well-told.

Will Helenic be finishing off the British Rebels, while others march across northern Africa? Nothing wrong with securing the flank totally.

Seluspania grows!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 11 October 2012 23:50 EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Will be a while before this gets updated, my hard drive just got wiped out by something (either a virus or heat damage), and I've only got public computers until either A) it gets fixed or B) I get a new computer. Fortunately, I had just backed up all my files, including the save files for this campaign, so I will be able to pick up where I left off. Eventually.

'Accident' is just 'story' spelled backwards - Chinese Proverb
Seleuspania: Seleucid Migration AAR
posted 01 November 2013 01:24 EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Here you are, AKBK.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 05 November 2013 18:03 EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Thanks for reopening this Sajaru.

It's been over a year since I updated this, but it's always been on my mind. My computer completely fried itself about a year ago, and it took me a while to get it working again. But that's a relative term; since I was in China, I put a substandard Windows on it, and it has some quirks. I've gotten it to run RTW and fraps, but it's taken some work. After a bit of practice, I was ready to pick this up again.

But the save at the end of the last episode was missing. I had the one before it, but had to play through the conquest of Britain again. Naturally, things did not happen the exact same way; it made me rather discouraged and I nearly dropped it again. In the end I said, "Meh," and just played on anyway. The major difference is I have a different heir (who cares, really), Thrace died to Brutii rather than to lack of family members, and Greece still survives and indeed thrives in Asia Minor.

So, thanks for your patience, I'm looking forward to finishing this.
-----------------------

Journal of Kassandros, Third King of Seleuspania
The world trembles before Seleuspania. Mighty nations have fallen, and uncivilized warlords die on the spears of common soldiers. Those who would take up the mantle of Alexander are helpless.

But despite it all, I wonder if we actually bear the banner of Alexander as we conquer. Have these lands changed us? Wherever we go, we build in the manner of our fathers; temples to our gods replace heathen shrines, amphitheatres replace drinking halls, and paved roads and sanitation spread throughout the lands.

And yet, these people resist us. Many require massive garrisons to keep order, and even then just barely. Rebel bands constantly appear to plague our roads.

But worse still, I wonder what we become. Are we a bastardization of Hellene and barbarian? Rather than attempt to convert, we exterminate cities which oppose us. Our armies are still largely made up of only the most rudimentarily trained soldiers, the most we can get out of these hordes of ex-barbarians.

If we are to be Hellene’s light in the West, we must shine.

Our conquest will continue, but I have set myself other goals as well.

Our armies in Britannia split up. Despite exterminating the city, Deva resists and will only be quelled by the presence of our general there, Assandros. So the troops go into Hibernia alone.

While they mount a siege on Tara, Paterinos begins the attack on Germania.

As soon as able, he assaults the walls.

Victory is won.

An army appears from the desert, but thanks to an informer along the road, our lands were well prepared.

I would prefer a good phalanx, but as the desert people prefer to cower behind bows and javelin cavalry, so must we. Asphalion claims victory this day.

To secure our flanks while attacking Germania, I arrange an alliance with a bordering tribe. I do not expect this alliance to outlast Germania itself.

Meanwhile, our army in Hibernia acquits itself well without a leader. None is needed against barbarians, I suppose.

Paterinos continues the war in Germania, first dispatching a wandering army before going on to siege the city.

Few survive.

Yet one escapes, and we face him once again in the siege.

Again in the deserts, Rome continues to send soldiers to their deaths.

I would prefer not to fight them by fostering insurrection in their cities, yet despite all attempts, the city remains stubbornly loyal.

As do the Gauls. This I don’t mind, it keeps me on my toes.

The lands of Alexander fall to Rome, and another bloodline perishes.

The dogs of Germania do not even sally forth to meet Paterinos, and surrender their city like craven cowards.

It occurs a second time as Assandros sails over from Britannia to attack the north. They surrender rather than fight, and his army marches forward. So much for tales of Germanic bravery.

As well as tales of Germanic prowess.

Paterinos chooses not to give this ‘King’ of the Germans the choice to surrender; he attacks the walls himself.

The battle ends well, but not as well as hoped.

While the Gauls now appear to field more advanced armies than my own.

It does not help them.

Finally the Germans sally forth in defense of their last city.

They are slain to a man.

Hail Seleuspania!

I had almost forgotten Rhodos even existed. Macedon’s bloodline appears to continue on our shores, but now without a homeland.

We move forward to take more cities.

While the cities of Rome, up and down the peninsula, all suffer from a mysterious plague.

And their generals die in bed. Many suspect my hand and call me ‘The Killer’ now.

And our true accomplishment; finally an army worthy of Alexander. Let it not be said we are not civilizing these people!

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 11-06-2013 @ 01:03 PM).]

posted 16 November 2013 10:32 EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Nice to see this one back up!
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Seleucid Migration AAR
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames