Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sepia Joust VIII- The Voting Scroll
posted 24 September 2014 00:35 EDT (US)   
Hear ye, hear ye!

The three combatants have now laid down their lances and swords after penning mighty tales of battle. Now it is up to thee, the Gentle Reader, to determine which tale will emerge victorious from this cauldron of warring words.

You may read these tales in the Sepia Joust Submissions Scroll.

Please remember that discussions are for the Discussion Scroll, where thou may freely beg, slander, brag, and so forth. Voting and mentioning the reasons behind a vote are reserved for this thread.

Voting will stay open for at least a fortnight. Upon closing a victor will be crowned.

Now, if it pleases thee, get to voting!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Replies:
posted 24 September 2014 13:35 EDT (US)     1 / 8  
I shall be the first to step forward and officially cast my vote for Sajaru's piece Fried Chicken! I love the idea of a World War I era war story set in a fantasy world. The combination of the two different settings also gave me a 'steampunk' kind of vibe, which was very satisfying. The relationship between Emma and Rachel felt natural and not forced at all, and I really enjoyed reading the their dialogue and interaction with one another. Emma's red mist rampage at the end was particularly enjoyable and very fun to read

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
posted 26 September 2014 02:28 EDT (US)     2 / 8  
This was an incredibly difficult decision. One I agonized upon for a while now. Both tales are excellent, though both have an item or two that grate upon my soul as nails upon a chalkboard.

General-Your tale combined magic and military in outstanding manner. The tale was believable and well written, and the action fast and sprinkled with emotion and passion. A boring supply run turned into sudden desperate battle for survival... excellent twist! The nits remain the same- the Zhuravi seem like mindless barbarians intent only on getting themselves killed, and the heroes too often are little girls with big swords. My main objection to that being that there is nothing a man can whip out at night to impress them. Experience and wisdom come with age, and experience and wisdom- as well as talent to be sure- bring rank. Especially in the military. Still, you pen a mighty tale!

Dom- your tale was extremely deep and detailed. As was Fried Chicken, it was believable and well written. The action was mainly limited to the end, but the build-up to the main battle was rich and deep. The story built up to the climax in the classical manner, which gripped the reader and refused to free them until the tale was done. I had a nit about the magic used, though. The Deathshards were a nice touch, but the way they were used came across more as a comic-book superhero power than fantasy magic. Still, it was explained well and used wisely.

As stated in the opening, this is one tough decision. Barbie-dolls with weapons slaughtering foes does hold some appeal to me, but the depth and richness of Scarlet Shields tipped the scales for me. Sorry General, your tale was excellent, but I think Dom slipped past you by a hair, as in a horserace where both horses are dead even but the wart on the nose of one crossed the line before the plain nose of the other. It was that close.

EDIT: I got distracted and completely forgot to mention the authentic feel of the mercenaries. They fought honorably, loyally and well up until the battle was lost, then it was time to close ranks and get gone. Shades of Xenophon, you captured perfectly the essence of a mercenary in that one, DU.

(edited for spelling)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-15-2014 @ 07:36 AM).]

posted 26 September 2014 19:41 EDT (US)     3 / 8  
First, let me say that both of you produced excellent tales that I enjoyed reading very much.

DU, while I rather enjoyed the mercenary company narrative of your story- and I've been a huge fan of the Black Company series for many years- I liked the more personal feel of Terikel's tale and therefore must vote for Elfin Logic.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 06 October 2014 17:16 EDT (US)     4 / 8  
oh dearie me. This is an impossible situation. Three marvellous tales, but one vote. As cliched as it sounds, i really do wish i could vote for all of you as each of the stories are deserving.

GS- Your tale is remarkably vivid, humorous and dare i say, what i expected from a man of your great talent. This entry and your continuing series are always a fantastic read when i have a couple minutes spare (although i must admit i am behind on your tale).

Terikel- As usual, a tale of epic proportions. The combat and areial action were amazing to read, and i could see plainly in my mind's eye all the details so lavishly painted by your words.

Dom- As usual, a fantastic tale combining your passion with a touch of history. You know my attitude towards your work, and i cannot wait to read 'The Right of Kings'.

Now let me just say, that a certain part of me is glad i did not submit my tale, as in no way- breath or vision did it equal all your entries.

However, under contemplation i must make my vote.

I therefore, cast my vote for the Winner to be DominicusUltimus.

I am sorry Terikel and General. They are all so close. Your tales both i rate 98%, but Dom just got ahead with a 99% thats how close and undecided i was. Well done all of you!

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 11 October 2014 11:41 EDT (US)     5 / 8  
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHOOSE?????? All are fantastic, and I would (and probably will) read them again. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Well done everyone!!

I'm going to vote for Terikel's story though. All three are great, and as such I want to even out the voting

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 11 October 2014 11:48 EDT (US)     6 / 8  
I have finally got round to reading the entrants, and I can only echo the high praise they have all received thus far. This has been a very good joust. However, all told, Terikel's is very much my favourite; Sajaru's is a little too reminiscent of what I imagine a World of Warcraft AAR must look like, and Dominicus's mostly feels a little too strategic and overlooking. I cast my vote for Elfin Logic.

(Although I do not invoke my double vote from the Guild of the Skalds because we don't seem to be doing that any more and it is probably a bit disproportionate with such a small electorate!)

[This message has been edited by Lord Eddie (edited 10-11-2014 @ 01:24 PM).]

posted 14 October 2014 14:56 EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Though I love them all I have to say that Terikel's was my favorite

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.-Bill Cosby
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein
Crowded elevators smell different to midgets
posted 23 October 2014 00:35 EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Voting is now closed.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust VIII- The Voting Scroll
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames